As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Thank you for the input, Kupi! Sounds like something I’ll probably skip
    urahonky wrote: »
    So I’m still looking around for good JRPG stuff. I remember that I Am Setsuna game had some hype, how did that turn out?

Romancing Saga 2 and 3 are on there if you're interested. RS3 is the easier of the two.

I’ll have to check those out. I feel I remember those games were pretty obtuse?

Yeah I'd use a guide if you get stuck but honestly they were some of the best experience in video games I've had in recent times.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I'm still pissed the samurai snifit in Shogun Studios in OK doesn't join your party.

I mean...come on.

But...Bobby. :(
    Bobby is great!

He's a total bro.
    He doesn't have a katana tho.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    A mental image popped into my head today that I think would be rad.

Take Pilotwings and Breath of the Wild it. Just give the player a huge-ass contiguous map and their choice of flying machine, and slowly expand their available flying machines and maximum fuel reserves as they clear licensing challenges that you find by just flying around however you feel like.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I find these days a new criteria (for me) is “how thirsty/anime fan-servicey” is it?

I bounced off of Disgaea 5 hard because of the character design and early dialog.

The whole “Babs” chapter of DQ Builders 2 almost lost me. So gross.

I’ll take my JRPGs non-oversexualized, thanks.

You mean non-sexualized, right? I mean, if those games are over-sexualized, then that implies a right amount of sexualizing.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I find these days a new criteria (for me) is “how thirsty/anime fan-servicey” is it?

I bounced off of Disgaea 5 hard because of the character design and early dialog.

You mean non-sexualized, right? I mean, if those games are over-sexualized, then that implies a right amount of sexualizing.

I don’t mind a little thirst. In DQB2’s case it just felt gang-bangy and ew.

I can’t even recall what specifically put me off of Disgaea 5, just that I was thinking “oh crap, I can’t read this to my 5yo who wants to watch all the video games.”

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I spoiled myself and got Origami king and the new fairly tail game.

I have no information on the actual fairy tail manga/anime but the box art looked cool and i'm attracted to shiny things that look cool.

• Options
    edited August 2020

I don’t mind a little thirst. In DQB2’s case it just felt gang-bangy and ew.

I can’t even recall what specifically put me off of Disgaea 5, just that I was thinking “oh crap, I can’t read this to my 5yo who wants to watch all the video games.”

I gotcha. I own DQB2 but haven't played it yet, but I looked it up, sounds like the skirting-the-line-of-brothel that Dragon Quest sometimes does. Puff puffs and such.

And yeah Disgaeas aren't for kids in the room. They're demons, they do cuss and act nasty! Actually Disgaea 4 has been kind of shocking. Some characters call women straight up "bitch." Feels like something that was more accepted in 2011 when it came out.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    As fun as the system is, sadly, I don't think it's as practical to bring to work as my PSV or 3DS...

That said, just picked up Seiken 3, whenever I get around to it. :lol:

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    As fun as the system is, sadly, I don't think it's as practical to bring to work as my PSV or 3DS...

Pick up a Switch Lite for travel!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Trials of Mana was a ton of fun

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The Lego NES is up, and I ordered one no problem.

Oh, spending $40 or more on Mario stuff from the Lego store will get you a free super mushroom expansion for the Mario game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My Flip Grip arrived today and it's great. Pinball is of course amazing with it, Downwell looks terrific but I was also thrilled to see Mat Mania rotated properly. Wonderful little gizmo I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Was the other Square Enix game Lost Sphear any good? It was made by the same team as the Setsuna one and looks like more retro jrpg gameplay.

I made it an hour or so into it before just stopping and never feeling any urge to pick it up again.

Yeah, the demo did not impress me at all either.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

That is my argument I took my 3ds' to work {sometimes all three even though I had 5 3ds for reasons}
    As there is no way to keep my switch like a 3ds {slipped into a pocket or such} I would love to play other games and would be more willing to get Lady Layton or Alien isolation. I do need to find out more about Mechanicus as I heard it has a save bug

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    *Major Origami King spoilers*
    I refuse to believe they actually killed off Bobby. Don't care if he does have a force ghost.

Mario has just got to find some dragon balls or something.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

That is my argument I took my 3ds' to work {sometimes all three even though I had 5 3ds for reasons}
    As there is no way to keep my switch like a 3ds {slipped into a pocket or such} I would love to play other games and would be more willing to get Lady Layton or Alien isolation. I do need to find out more about Mechanicus as I heard it has a save bug

Y'all need bigger pockets.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    *Major Origami King spoilers*
    I refuse to believe they actually killed off Bobby. Don't care if he does have a force ghost.

Mario has just got to find some dragon balls or something.

Oh. Yeah now go back to my previous post and it'll make more sense.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I saw a slip cover for just the switch the joycons would be exposed so it's tempting but I work with people that steal anything

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

In my cargo shorts, it fits fine if I take the joycons off. Them in one pocket, the Switch itself in another. Not quite as convenient as a smaller traditional handheld, but do-able.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Cat Quest and Cat Quest 2 are the relaxing experiences I didn’t know I needed.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The Switch will perfectly fit in my inside breast pocket of my jacket if I take the joycons off.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Late game Origami King:
    Yellow Streamer: "Bob-ombs actually die for good?! Oh no!"
    Bobby's Ghost: "We just want to make an impact when we go." Aww.
    Assault on Peach's Castle: "Incoming enemies! Fire the bob-ombs! It's okay if you miss and their entire short existence makes no material difference, we've got an infinite amount!"

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

And everyone used to mock me for wearing cargo shorts!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

Cargo shorts are the best!

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Dad future is BEST future! Puns and pockets for everyone!!!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

They're comfy and easy to wear!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Pro dad level is designating each cargo pocket to hold certain things, so you don't have to "I know I have this but where did I put it". I saved you kids entire seconds , SECONDS, of searching time and this is the thanks I get

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Pro dad level is designating each cargo pocket to hold certain things, so you don't have to "I know I have this but where did I put it". I saved you kids entire seconds , SECONDS, of searching time and this is the thanks I get

I’m not even a dad and I do this. I’ve freaked myself out a few times grabbing for my phone or wallet and it wasn’t there because I put it in the wrong pocket for whatever reason.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I am wearing cargo shorts right now. And back when we could go places, they would be laden down with stuff like the program or map of where we were, water bottles, wife's wallet, sister-in-law's wallet, phone(s), and kids sippy cups or toys.
    Though last summer I augmented with a shoulder bag to take some weight off and expand water carrying capacity.

Oh, and my switch (with joycons) fit in the front pocket of both my cargo shorts and my work khakis.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The original No More Heroes has been rated in Taiwan for Switch

https://nintendoeverything.com/no-more-heroes-switch-port-rated-in-taiwan/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Earlier this year I finally got around to playing Witcher 3. It's a gorgeous game, even on the Switch, and Geralt is a likeable enough character. But the experience just didn't really stick with me. The world is beautiful, but its societies and people never really came alive for me.

So it's fine. But there are a lot of games I like more.

And yet... recently I've really felt the urge to play it again and I don't really know why. After all, the experience wasn't even that impactful first time around. Maybe it's because... what with one thing and another... I kind of feel the need to play something that's mostly about running around a beautifully rendered rugged wilderness.

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Earlier this year I finally got around to playing Witcher 3. It's a gorgeous game, even on the Switch, and Geralt is a likeable enough character. But the experience just didn't really stick with me. The world is beautiful, but its societies and people never really came alive for me.

And yet... recently I've really felt the urge to play it again and I don't really know why. After all, the experience wasn't even that impactful first time around. Maybe it's because... what with one thing and another... I kind of feel the need to play something that's mostly about running around a beautifully rendered rugged wilderness.

Did you do the dlc last time through? Otherwise I highly recommend doing that. I really enjoyed both of them, especially the second one.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    PFsQkJc.jpg

hmm, that seems like an awfully big download

If I had a time machine, I think it would be funny to send this packaging back to the mid-90s, to someone who just completed the original X-COM. There are so many things about this that would make their head explode.

• Options
    "What are DLC packs?"

"Wait, what is a down load? Wait, it's one word, download? Then why does it have two letters in DLC?"

• Options
    Luiane wrote: »

Did you do the dlc last time through? Otherwise I highly recommend doing that. I really enjoyed both of them, especially the second one.

Blood & Wine is really the perfect send-off for Geralt.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Luiane wrote: »

Blood & Wine is really the perfect send-off for Geralt.

Oh, yeah, no I did all the DLC as well. Blood & Wine was fun. Very fairytale knights and all that. A nice little conclusion. Also, it introduced the Skellige deck to Gwent - which I unfortunately couldn't make work, so I just defaulted to Nilfgaard Spies.

Didn't care much for Heart of Stone. The wedding and the house in the painting were good, but that DLC's main characters besides Shani were just... unpleasant.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Heart of Stone
    Gaunter O'Dimm is a great villain, and Everec never really redeems himself. It's the perfect Witcher story.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    "What are DLC packs?"

"Wait, what is a down load? Wait, it's one word, download? Then why does it have two letters in DLC?"

Download was a very common term in the 90s!

Now go tell 90s-me that Grand Theft Auto would release several more versions, and #5 would be a 100,000 megabyte game. And it would take zero floppy disks.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    PFsQkJc.jpg

If I had a time machine, I think it would be funny to send this packaging back to the mid-90s, to someone who just completed the original X-COM. There are so many things about this that would make their head explode.

It’s enormous game in file size. On PC it’s nearly 70gb and I just can’t figure out why. There’s a lot of reused assets, the models are textures aren’t particularly high res, but it’s pushing huge file sizes.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    PFsQkJc.jpg

It’s enormous game in file size. On PC it’s nearly 70gb and I just can’t figure out why. There’s a lot of reused assets, the models are textures aren’t particularly high res, but it’s pushing huge file sizes.

Ah well, you see...

The thing about XCOM 2: War of the Chosen is that it's such an extensive reworking of the game that... base XCOM 2 is literally all separate files. You've got the base XCOM 2 installed and also the WOTC XCOM 2 installed.