As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Fashion] thread. Quite stylish.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    These last way longer than the similarly designed vans:

https://www.sperry.com/en/halyard-cvo-salt-washed-laceless-sneaker/19793M.html?dwvar_19793M_color=0772905#cgid=outlet-men-shoes&start=1

And you can usually find some colorway that is on sale for 30-40, this was just want I found first.

Ooh I like these. Might have to get them. I can't always wear a hiking boot.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    SeaVees is another great shoe company in that style, but likely on the spendy side.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hey folks, tell me of your MeUndies experiences, are they worth the $$?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I really like the boxers I got from them. Soft, comfy, and they don't ride up and bind around the thighs the way my old Hanes did.

Although I jumped straight from buying cheap three-packs of boxers from Walmart to buying $24 underwear, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear about a more economical midpoint between the two extremes.

Also, after I bought my first pair, I bought two of the mystery packs that give you random colors and patterns at a discount. So now I have a lucky pair of mermaid underwear I wear to meetings and presentations and a neon cassette tape pair that look like a pair of Rude Dog's board shorts that I wear on Fridax, and I never would have purchased either of them on my own. Highly recommended.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Same experience as Jedoc in almost every way.
    For the price, I wish they lasted longer, though my latest batch of boxer briefs seems to be faring better after I started hang-drying them instead of using the dryer.
    With that said, the ones that I used to dry in the machine all the time served a solid 18 months or so before they started getting really bunchy, like the elastic lost some of its magic. They’re still super soft but they tended to ride up more than newer ones.
    One final oddity is that I have two special print ones (Send Noods and the doughnut print), and they seem to actually be cut differently than the solids. Like the legs are somehow shorter and they tend to ride up a bit more than the others.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Usagi wrote: »

Every pair I received came with a dozen loose threads. The thongs lasted 2-3 months, the bikini cuts lasted 6 months.

I would not advise them

Psykoma on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »

Every pair I received came with a dozen loose threads. The thongs lasted 2-3 months, the bikini cuts lasted 6 months.

I would not advise them

They're comfy enough but for the price point I'd want them to last a lot longer

If the thread doesn't give out, the colours fade unfortunately quickly

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Not helpful to usagi but for ppl with dangly bits the saxx underwear, despite the stupid name has been pretty nice

poo
  • Options
    Thanks folks! I'm bummed cuz they're super cute, but if they don't last then screw it I'll go back to Muji undies

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've never wanted underwear to be anything other than plain jet black, and I feel like half the appeal of Me Undies is lost on me as a result

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Ain't nobody but me ever gonna see my undies so no point going through the extra effort of making em fun.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The MeUndies I bought were all solid colors
    Including black! It can be done

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've never wanted underwear to be anything other than plain jet black, and I feel like half the appeal of Me Undies is lost on me as a result

I mean same, but I was unexpectedly excited about the idea of having dinosaur knickers

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    When I heard women's fashion was evolving towards a creepy doll aesthetic, I expected something much cooler

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    When I heard women's fashion was evolving towards a creepy doll aesthetic, I expected something much cooler

god if only

cf2ad0e392085f1a26619cbd86d99aa4.png

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I guess if you're going to do creepy doll, you could do a lot worse than Bloodborne cosplay.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    I guess if you're going to do creepy doll, you could do a lot worse than Bloodborne cosplay.

https://youtu.be/ToPhrqndgsw

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »

god if only

cf2ad0e392085f1a26619cbd86d99aa4.png

Hello, good hunter

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Bad news about several major fashion lines

Uighur slave labour is potentially being used to produce cotton used by these companies

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Welp
    Cotton farming in general is incredibly environmentally destructive so the whole industry was already on my side eye list but
    Welp

• Options
    It's also an issue in the Central Asian countries, Uzbekistan used 102,000 forced labourers in 2019 to pick cotton

They were in the news a couple of years ago for conscripting children but apparently they scaled back the use of child labour as part of an international agreement

• Options
    Indian cotton has also been notorious after Monsanto used political influence to corner the market in the 2000s and made everyone poorer

But I read there's been a growing organic-labeled sector since 2013 which uses native varietes of cotton

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So Uniqlo graphic T’s

Do they often restock or just run out and move on to the next line? Also how much would you say they shrink in the wash, generally?

I got an Ultraman shirt from them a while back and found it (M) way larger than I expected, I prefer a tighter fit. Was going to return it and order an S, but they only have it in XS currently, which I imagine would probably be too small (not positive of my measurements, I usually just buy M)

I still have a couple weeks to send it back, but if they won’t be restocking S’s if this shirt I might just try shrinking my M in the wash if I can

Edit: though reading a few posts up, maybe I’ll just stick with what I have. Might not want to throw more money at them

Jimothy on
  • Options
    ... kind of an amazing time to ask that question, really

• Options
    I mean

I know that it's pretentious and wanky and I can only do it because I'm lucky enough to afford it

But if I am buying something from anyone these days, I'm checking their supply chains, manufacturing methods and materials extensively first, and if that means I have to pay 40-50 quid for a shirt, I will. Cheap clothes are facilitated by literal slavery, and I totally get that a lot of people have no choice but to get them, and I don't place any moral weight on them for that like, but for me? I can afford to not buy those so I ain't going to.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Just gonna screen print all my own anime shirts then

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    None of mine have shrunk that much.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I mean

I know that it's pretentious and wanky and I can only do it because I'm lucky enough to afford it

But if I am buying something from anyone these days, I'm checking their supply chains, manufacturing methods and materials extensively first, and if that means I have to pay 40-50 quid for a shirt, I will. Cheap clothes are facilitated by literal slavery, and I totally get that a lot of people have no choice but to get them, and I don't place any moral weight on them for that like, but for me? I can afford to not buy those so I ain't going to.

This is also something I’ve been trying to do lately
    And also the environmental impact of cheap clothes is huge

An extreme example: That hoodie I posted the other day was *not cheap*, even when I got it like 60% off
    It was made by these guys, and they wrote this essay:

https://www.storymfg.com/blogs/essays/evidence-of-the-hand-thoughts-on-the-cost-of-craft-the-cost-of-sustainability-the-cost-of-everything
    Worth a read.

(Been doing more buying and selling of used things online as well)

poo
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Time to go back to making our own clothes from deer and possum skins and maybe some large crabs.

I am only, just like, barely joking here.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah I dunno at this point what to do, really

It seems impossible to make good choices, and like. I do NEED clothes at least SOMETIMES. It's so fucking overwhelmingly stressful on top of everything else being a pile of shit. Like, I just want to buy some reusable masks so I don't throw disposable masks into the literal ocean five miles from here. And virtually n o t h i n g is crafted tip to tail in Singapore, and also I do have to at some point be budget mindful, so

I guess I'll just throw myself into the sea, idk

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

It seems impossible to make good choices, and like. I do NEED clothes at least SOMETIMES. It's so fucking overwhelmingly stressful on top of everything else being a pile of shit. Like, I just want to buy some reusable masks so I don't throw disposable masks into the literal ocean five miles from here. And virtually n o t h i n g is crafted tip to tail in Singapore, and also I do have to at some point be budget mindful, so

I'm here as well. It feels like everything is bad if you follow it far enough, and it also feels like you can get vilified for ANY choice you make. (Not saying this happens here, just 'in general').

I do think you're onto something with the ocean though; that environment results in a drastic reduction in clothing needs, so I'll be right there with you when you go.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'd be happy if people didn't leave their masks and gloves on the ground in parking lots.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ideally I'd make my own clothing if I could but it's also true that some countries like Bangladesh are extremely dependent on Westerners continuing to buy clothes

In many ways the shit circumstances of clothing production are the symptoms of an underlying problem of global inequality

Which would ideally - like the pandemic, like climate change - call for a collective, global solution

But we can't even bring ourselves to share our massive wealth more equitably within our own nations

• Options

I'm here as well. It feels like everything is bad if you follow it far enough, and it also feels like you can get vilified for ANY choice you make. (Not saying this happens here, just 'in general').

I do think you're onto something with the ocean though; that environment results in a drastic reduction in clothing needs, so I'll be right there with you when you go.

Ya no one is perfect, I'm just trying to be mindful of not just buying things because they're cheap, especially if I don't need them
    I know I've done tons of it in general

The ocean only drastically reduces clothing needs if you, as a mammal, have a layer of blubber though

poo
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    If you are fortunate/privileged enough to have material means, it is not terribly impossible to dress only in ethically sourced garments. There's quite a few boutique small scale brands that pride themselves on sourcing fair trade textiles and ensuring that they are cut, stitched up and/or woven in countries with relatively fairer working conditions, practices and quality of life for their workers.

A couple examples from the menswear space:

Outlier has an emphasis on non-obvious technical wear, wools, and bast fabrics (they don't really have any cotton product at all). From the go 99% of their catalog has been made in the U.S., the only exception was a hardshell jacket, and they clearly labeled it as such.

When I used to be a denim guy, there were a lot of examples in that space of products that fit that bill, like Naked and Famous which is all made in Canada.

In the past I've even turned away my dollars from companies who started there and then switched to manufacturing in China.

Taylor Stitch for example, was a men's shirting company that used to make all their garments in California, then they switched to Portugal (not bad), and eventually China (no thanks).

If you're more on a budget, then definitely it's a harder thing to muster. But you can still break away from fast fashion generally speaking -- you can buy secondhand, and give clothing the long life it ought to have.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Ya no one is perfect, I'm just trying to be mindful of not just buying things because they're cheap, especially if I don't need them
    I know I've done tons of it in general

The ocean only drastically reduces clothing needs if you, as a mammal, have a layer of blubber though

That's what I tried to tell my boss, but I guess now I'm in violation of the dress code and the company wellness program.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020

It's almost impossible to consume clothing that is fully ethical, so nobody is going to chew you out for it.

Please do not hurl yourself into the sea, unless you are out in the ol kayak in which case that is okay

Solar on
  • Options
    meanwhile I keep browsing netzerocompany because part of my sickened and corrupted soul still kind of hopes we can consume our way to sustainability
    (it is a good place to check out if you actually need to buy stuff mind you)

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    user wrote: »
    If you are fortunate/privileged enough to have material means, it is not terribly impossible to dress only in ethically sourced garments. There's quite a few boutique small scale brands that pride themselves on sourcing fair trade textiles and ensuring that they are cut, stitched up and/or woven in countries with relatively fairer working conditions, practices and quality of life for their workers.

A couple examples from the menswear space:

Outlier has an emphasis on non-obvious technical wear, wools, and bast fabrics (they don't really have any cotton product at all). From the go 99% of their catalog has been made in the U.S., the only exception was a hardshell jacket, and they clearly labeled it as such.

When I used to be a denim guy, there were a lot of examples in that space of products that fit that bill, like Naked and Famous which is all made in Canada.

In the past I've even turned away my dollars from companies who started there and then switched to manufacturing in China.

Taylor Stitch for example, was a men's shirting company that used to make all their garments in California, then they switched to Portugal (not bad), and eventually China (no thanks).

If you're more on a budget, then definitely it's a harder thing to muster. But you can still break away from fast fashion generally speaking -- you can buy secondhand, and give clothing the long life it ought to have.

These recommendations are good depending on where you are located

I mean obviously we should all just do what we can how we can based on our circumstances

But I live on an equatorial island almost as far from the US as you can get, so if I buy something ethically sourced and made in the US or Canada then it's going in a fuckin airplane to get to me so then you're dealing with carbon footprint issues, which are differently bad.

There are definitely boutique brands here that do ethical supply chain and manufacture in neighboring countries by small designers and teams of employees (Indonesia, India, Thailand, Vietnam, you get it) but they tend to be prohibitively expensive and also... not really work appropriate or my style. Interestingly, and also related, there is almost no secondhand/thrift culture, although you can try to look at local resale Facebook groups but that's an entire horror show in and of itself.

Anyway, none of this is news, and we can chase this tail in circles for the rest of the day. I just feel sometimes like I need to point out that a solution that is viable for one continent or country is not necessarily equally viable or available across the globe. (I have to point this out at work all the time so I'm very sensitive to it.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular