As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I had to get rid of all my houseplants when we moved (sad face) but I bought a few new ones today and repotted them

49998486323_7682ac8eb1.jpg

(some little succulents I picked out! they're tiny and fragile, who knows if any will survive!)

49998486343_437dcc0d30_z.jpg

(a bird's nest fern and a pothos, and idk what that is in the red pot but I like its shape)

eee excited to have plants in the house again

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I believe that is an areca palm? It's very small though, so maybe a related dwarf version?

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    From what I remember, palms can take years to reach heights of 3' or more - I have that same palm cluster and I'd also guess that it's an Areca, just young.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Yeah treat it right and it'll get plenty big. Assume a foot per year for four years or so, after that it shouldn't grow much.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I started a kitchen vermicompost bin under the sink. That's tangentially related to plants, right?

I started with shredded brown paper and edamame hulls I'd been saving in the freezer, plus ~250 composting worms ordered online. A couple of hours later, there were a whole bunch of worms trying to climb out of the bucket. I though maybe it was too dry, so I added a chopped-up apple core and some coco coir and misted everything a bunch. Then I spent half an hour gently dropping upwardly mobile worms back in the pile.

The next morning, I found half a dozen dead escapees under the sink and a maybe a couple dozen climbing the inside walls of the bucket.

The morning after that - this morning - there were two dead escapees and five hanging out on the inside walls. Progress!

I'm hoping this venture will stabilize once a decent layer of castings builds up. The worms shipped in a double handful of something dirtlike, which wasn't enough to burrow in once added to the bucket. I think my paper should have had a lot more moisture to start.

(The bucket has a lid, but the vent holes are 1/8" and most of the worms are tiny)

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    From what I remember, palms can take years to reach heights of 3' or more - I have that same palm cluster and I'd also guess that it's an Areca, just young.

That's true. I'm so used to seeing 3'-4' ones being sold that I didn't even think of it just being a really young one.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I went out to check on theback garden since it's not raining and not frigid right now.

My lime tree has some blossoms on it! yay!
    My Lemons are almost ready to pick! I've got at least 3 or 4 good looking ones.
    My potato plants should be almost ready to pull and go digging for taters.

My single parsley plant that I put out into the self watering tub has, um, it's well a parsley forest.

I'm letting my broccoli and cauli go to seed. I'll try again some other time, when I can devote the time to making sure the white fly doesn't even get started.

But yeah, parsley forest.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Part 1:
    How to grow tomatoes, p. 1: Preparing and planting 13:16
    https://youtu.be/UGjfq2kyBqs

How to grow tomatoes, p. 2: Maintaining and harvesting 12:15
    https://youtu.be/cy_iXr2fhHY

Peas on
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    At the start of winter I had five baby peach trees. They're about 3 years old, but stunted due to being in an apartment with less than great sun exposure.

In March or so, I lost one. It kept shutting off branches, causing them to shrivel and the leaves to wilt. I trimmed the shrivel parts but it never recovered.

Yesterday I looked outside and the next least-healthy one had 100% wilting leaves. All the branches are shriveled slightly. I couldn't find concrete answers to what is happening, but some things point to a fungal infection that prevents water traveling through the branches.

This morning I inserted syringes with water along its trunk and branches hoping that capillary action might draw some along the body, but so far nothing is improving.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It's... kind of working?

h8y74ob0lpbo.jpg

This isn't a long term solution though. I need to figure out the problem so I can feed it. I came across some canker fungus search hits that suggested feeding various anti fungals into the bark but I don't want to pick the wrong one.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Have you changed anything recently in regards to all three? It's weird for two of them to have the same issue back-to-back...if it's a disease/infection, they may be toast unless you can nail down the exact cause and check to see if the plant is salvageable (just search "peach tree diseases" in Google Images, or look up what's happening with the leaves on peach plants specifically). Just to be safe, I'd quarantine the problem peach tree away from all your other plants. Also, when you water it make sure you're not touching any part of the plant or pot (and if you do, disinfect the watering container before watering any other plants)...you don't want to transfer whatever this is over to your other plants, if it is indeed transferrable.

Entire branches closing off sounds like it might be a root issue? I'd gently take the plant out of the pot to see if the roots look healthy, or if they smell bad, or if there are bugs/pests in the soil, or anything out of the usual. You said these plants were inside...did this start happening when you brought them outside? Could be heat stress, humidity stress, sunburn, etc. I've heard a lot of people have issues when they first bring their indoor plants outside, because the shift in environment can be too much for some plants to handle.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So my mother bought an old mountain property with the intent of remodeling the old house into her retirement, and the old lady who lived here originally was apparently fond of trumpet creeper. And it of course has not been maintained since she passed.

Good Lord do I now hate this plant. Every runner has to be cut individually back to the original plant because it has spread around all of the other original garden patches(there are a lot of wild/domestic blackberries/raspberries that I want to avoid hitting as collateral). Eradicating this thing is going to be a summer goal it seems like.

Have you changed anything recently in regards to all three? It's weird for two of them to have the same issue back-to-back...if it's a disease/infection, they may be toast unless you can nail down the exact cause and check to see if the plant is salvageable (just search "peach tree diseases" in Google Images, or look up what's happening with the leaves on peach plants specifically). Just to be safe, I'd quarantine the problem peach tree away from all your other plants. Also, when you water it make sure you're not touching any part of the plant or pot (and if you do, disinfect the watering container before watering any other plants)...you don't want to transfer whatever this is over to your other plants, if it is indeed transferrable.

Entire branches closing off sounds like it might be a root issue? I'd gently take the plant out of the pot to see if the roots look healthy, or if they smell bad, or if there are bugs/pests in the soil, or anything out of the usual. You said these plants were inside...did this start happening when you brought them outside? Could be heat stress, humidity stress, sunburn, etc. I've heard a lot of people have issues when they first bring their indoor plants outside, because the shift in environment can be too much for some plants to handle.

The first one is gone. It died back branch by branch.

These guys live outside spring through fall each year. This past winter though I didn't let them lose their leaves and go dormant in the house.

Google has told me that it's either Verticulim Wilt or brown rot. Or a half dozen other things.

I've got it inside on its life support. Which is more like an experiment because of the things it might have, they're fatal. So far it seems that syringe into bark wood isn't as successful as into green stems. But you also have to get the depth right or it won't take up the water.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Presented without comment:

4da6vfKh.png

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Seems like a dumb questions but:

I currently have 3 tomato plants going, I'm in southern california so I'm not worried about frost or anything. Am I really supposed completely start over from seedlings next season?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Seems like a dumb questions but:

I currently have 3 tomato plants going, I'm in southern california so I'm not worried about frost or anything. Am I really supposed completely start over from seedlings next season?

Tomatoes are perennials that can survive warm winters and will produce fruit throughout the year if it stays warm enough.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I decided to buy a book on southern california gardening because the online resources seem to be mostly cold climate focused.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    It does tend to be trickier when winter exists.

To be fair, there are some plants that are like, "I've reproduced. Time to die."

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Back when i was younger and pot was illegal (in canada) my mom used to get really mad at me about pot. Lividly, violently mad.

And now?

She has fucking ten foot tall weed plants growing in her backyard

They are like towers

Tony Santoro's Indoor Greenhouse Tutorial to Prevent Homicide Real Nice 9:18
    https://youtu.be/mRmSMtdAp8k
    In this video, CPBBD shows you how to quell the depression, rage and/or misery resulting from being cooped up inside due to 'rona or the coming winter by learning how to start seedlings and propagate plants inside. All that's necessary is a humidity cover, a plant tray, a decent soil mix and some LED shop lights.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I have no idea if Tony Santoro is doing a bit with his accent or not, but I love it so much.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I think printing planters is the most use my 3d printer has gotten in quite a while:
    sUdRXTQ.jpg

PSN: jfrofl
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hey Plant thread, got a question for you.
    I cut a leaf off of my snake plant months ago (shortly after the whole Corona started), I've kept in in water since then. The leaf is still green and, aside from being in a glass on my table, seems healthy.

Just wondering if this thing will eventually root out? Is there anything additional I can or should do to encourage it to take root? I really didn't think it'd take more than a couple of weeks, but it's been in the water, being regularly changed for months and the end in the glass looks as though I cut it yesterday.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Mori’s mom gave me a leaf from her snake plant, bedded in a shallow layer of soil (about an inch deep). After ~2 months it grew a second leaf.

So possibly try planting it?

Here’s mine, I actually need to repot it now it’s grown. The second, new leaf is bigger than the leaf Mori’s mom gave me! It went from nothing at all to huge within a couple of weeks.

edited October 2020
    Meh

Janson on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    see317 wrote: »
    Hey Plant thread, got a question for you.
    I cut a leaf off of my snake plant months ago (shortly after the whole Corona started), I've kept in in water since then. The leaf is still green and, aside from being in a glass on my table, seems healthy.

Just wondering if this thing will eventually root out? Is there anything additional I can or should do to encourage it to take root? I really didn't think it'd take more than a couple of weeks, but it's been in the water, being regularly changed for months and the end in the glass looks as though I cut it yesterday.

Yeah like Janson suggested I'd try putting it in soil. It might work in just water, I'm not sure.

FYI you can cut that leaf into segments and stick each one upright in some soil and they should all root, if you want more than one extra plant.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Can anybody tell me what cyclamen grow like?

Do they do better in large pots? Or can I out them into a flower bed?

I'm tired and lazy and get very overwhelmed looking things up.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You can do them in pots or flowerbeds. I put some in our front bed last year so we would have flowers through winter, and they did really well.

We saw some on a walk yesterday that had seeded themselves in the cracks atop a dry stone wall, so I imagine they grow pretty easily anywhere.

Thank you. My kid bought me two and they're still in the little punnets fun the garden center because I just didn't know what to do with them.

But I've got a flower bed that's up by the letter box that I read going to fill with alyssum seeds and maybe the cyclamen and see what happened. Might get another begonia because the one I've got in a pot is amazing and hasn't stopped flowering since last summer.

Janson wrote: »
    Have some plant updates!

Firstly, my biggest successes:

1st photo: Lipstick plant that I got as a teeny-tiny 2” thing back in January. I have another that I’ve kept at work for a year and although it’s grown nicely in that time it’s not flowered, because the office is too cool and dimly lit. I put this one on my bedroom shelf, where it gets really warm and sunny, and it flowered! It’s a very easy-care plant that tolerates drying out and can actually exist on a windowsill, unlike many other houseplants. I need to repot it.

2nd photo: Another VERY easy-care plant; this is a type of philodendron and it grows beautiful dark red leaves that slowly uncurl and turn dark glossy green. I bought it as a ‘statement’ plant and am very happy with it. This one does well in low light.

3rd photo: This is a croton! They’re slow growing but even so all those darker leaves at the top are new growth from this year. This plant does really well in bathrooms! The planter it’s in has a little water reservoir at the bottom and I just dunk a jug of water in there once every now and then.

I have two other crotons, they grow slowly but steadily and tolerate a wide range of conditions in my experience (I have one at work where it’s quite dry). They grow more colorful leaves in best conditions but even in sub-optimal conditions I think the green leaves it grows are pretty.

(The two ferns I recently moved into the bathroom in the hopes they’ll like it better there. The one on the left is the one the cat demolished. It’s ok but could be better. The bird’s nest fern on the right I let get too dry, oops).

4th photo: OMG it’s a peace lily I haven’t killed yet. >.> So, it’s my experience that peace lilies want less water than everyone tells you. If it gets too dry it easily perks up again within a half hour of watering, but it does not come back from overwatering. I recommend waiting until the leaves begin drooping to water it again if you’re unsure.

1st photo: Another type of philodendron that I forgot about, uh oh. But it’s since grown new leaves. I think it’ll be okay.

2nd photo: My coffee plant, nearly a year old at this point. I nearly killed it by placing it on a windowsill one day; nearly all the leaves fried and half of them fell off. All those leaves are now gone, which is why the bottom looks so bare, but all that lovely glossy green is new growth! So, learn from my mistake: No direct sunlight. This windowsill it is on gets indirect sunlight and is perfect for the coffee plant as well as several other plants (my aloes also thrive on this windowsill).

3rd photo: This weekend’s harvest. I have so many tomatoes. I only asked Mori’s mom for 4 plants and she gave me 10 because she had too many. I killed one, and another broke in half in high winds but still produced tomatoes. There are many more tomatoes still ripening on the vine. I’ve eaten so many tomatoes this week.

Also, tiny strawberries! I planted three strawberry plants at the base of my blueberry bushes earlier this year. Hopefully they grow much bigger next year! They maybe tiny but they are delicious and very sweet.

4th photo: I had a bunch of seedlings that... maybe I planted too late or something, because most of them didn’t grow once they were in the ground. I seriously had sunflowers under 6” in height! And I had the teeniest coreopsis you ever did see. (They’re still flowering and since they’re perennial it’ll be interesting to see what they do next spring... I have a coreopsis I planted last year that did just as well its second year). Anyway, this zinnia was my one winner. The only seedling to grow both big and produce multiple blooms. I think I’ll stick to store-bought next year for all the effort I put into those seedlings...

This might be a dumb question, but did you acclimate the seedlings to being outside before you planted them? Indoor seedlings can get sunburned and die if you don't give them a chance to adjust.

I did indeed! The sunflowers and coreopsis actually look pretty healthy, just miniature.

Gotcha, just checking :smile:

...I certainly did not almost-kill some seedlings that way this summer, nope.

Hey, I’ve killed or almost-killed my fair share of plants through various methods.

I bought this beautiful begonia that was full of bright flowers, then I forgot to water it over the hottest weekend of the year and every single branch fell limp and peeled off so now I have this thick bumpy stalk with a couple of flowers on the top, lol.

I’ll have to take a photo of the sunflowers. Now, they’re Teddy Bear sunflowers, so were only expected to grow to 2-4 ft high anyway, but none of mine passed the 1 ft mark! The biggest has 3 lovely blooms that are only 2-3” across.

How I make soil bacteria for my veggie garden 11:51
    https://youtu.be/zsTsnOoXNdk
    I want to share my enthusiasm of watching how plants respond to human care and nurturing, and to convey that enthusiasm through my camera, and motivate people to get back to the garden to connect with nature and re-discover how amazingly enriching it actually IS. When I began the journey, a whole new world opened for me. When my body is grounded and I am eating food that I have grown myself, I really and truly enter another state of wellbeing…and THAT´s the journey I want to share. This video starts with the foundation of a healthy garden - soil bacteria, and I´ll show you how I make soil bacteria, and talk about why it is the most important aspect of my veggie garden.

edited September 2020
    This is NOT a Dandelion. 4:49
    https://youtu.be/_7SIHtWu2hw
    Not every yellow bloom ― or fluffy white globe ― taking over your backyard is a dandelion. Some of them are close relatives called catsears. But both of them have a little secret. To tell them apart and discover why they’re so successful you need to peek under their petals.

Peas on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I friggin love weeds. Unless they're poisonous or invasive or whatever. They're good plants! I convinced my parents to let us keep a big stand of goldenrod and stuff, for the butterflies and bugs and whatnot.

A lot of the dandelions in Britain, maybe Europe too, are clones. Bees go to them but the flowers don't need them to, they will produce seeds either way. I don't know if that's true for dandelions worldwide or just here.