As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Oof, this Transformers animated thing on Netflix is just... really fucking boring. And stupid. And frequently plain bad.

The basic voicework isn't bad at all (I could actually almost get used to whoever they picked for Optimus, except the modulation for him sucks), but the classic voice modulation for many of the characters is terrible. Not terrible in execution, it's just changed to be much worse than the distinctive original stuff. The various Autobot and Decepticon designs are actually pretty good G1 stuff, except a) it's really weird to watch these very clearly metallic beings with body parts that flex like flesh (Megatron's obviously metal face animates and flexes like it was simply made of skin) and b) the showmakers seem hugely reluctant to have anything actually transform. You get dumbass scenes where Autobots that can turn into cars are running away on foot, while the Decepticons chasing them (who can turn into fucking space jets) also chase on foot. It's a war where only the hardiest, luckiest, and most skilled have survived, yet nobody can hit a damned thing.

And there's only so many times you can march out the same fucking plot point, seriously. On at least four different occasions, they do the awful cliche "we can't trust this guy!" routine, and every time they do it for waaaaaay too long. Not to mention the dialogue is like it was churned out by an AI scripting program filled with nothing but the most cliche of cliche lines, over and over and over again. Then to try and make everything seem more dramatic, they slow all the dialogue down nearly to a crawl.

And holy shit do they draw things out too much. At least the original awful cartoon show had the mercy of finishing a whole story in twenty-something minutes; this feature is multiple 30-minute parts and takes fucking ages to cover a single plot point and it's only one of three of these things.

I'd say it was a huge disappointment, but I was expecting it to be pretty terrible anyway from the Netflix trailers. So it's only a moderate disappointment because, in light of the amazing work Dreamworks did with Voltron and She-Ra, I guess Netflix decided it just had to get in there and properly diddle an 80s property itself rather than run the risk of somebody else picking it up and doing it well. Guess it would've been too much to ask for them to just leave it the fuck alone and let somebody else do a good job with it.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    I watched Spaceship Earth on Hulu today. It's a documentary about the Biosphere 2 and the people that created it. I liked it a lot! Not exactly fast paced, but super interesting group of people (semi-cult).

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    I watched Spaceship Earth on Hulu today. It's a documentary about the Biosphere 2 and the people that created it. I liked it a lot! Not exactly fast paced, but super interesting group of people (semi-cult).

How does Pauly Shore do?

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    So how is umbrella academy season 2? I enjoyed season 1 but episode 1 of season 2 was pretty bad. I dont know what it is but a lot of the scenes just felt wrong. Bad acting/directing.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Friends have posted that it gets better, but I agree. The S2 premiere is hella-shakey and I didn't really like any of it, but it opens up a lot of possibly interesting paths in the future so I guess I'll find out.

• Options
    I completely disagree, I found S2 to get moving almost instantly compared to S1 taking fucking ages to get anywhere or do anything at all with even a single character. S2 starts at a point it takes the first season something like five episodes to reach.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    August! Netflix! New! Drops! Can't thing of brilliant sidesplitting pun that I haven't already used!

-A Knight's Tale
    -Being John Malkovich
    -The Addams Family (the good one)
    -Hardcore Henry
    -Jurassic Parks 1-3
    -Mad Max
    -Mr. Deeds
    -Never Ending Story 1 & 2
    -Seabiscuit
    -Zookeeper

and they also added Toradora which is a good slice of life romcom animoo

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    By the good one you mean Family Values?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I remember as a kid seeing Being John Malkovich at Blockbuster and being confused how it was a real movie. Now the teens today can just watch it instead of wondering for 20 years!

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    By the good one you mean Family Values?

Adams family Values is weird because the B-plot with Wednesday and the camp is amazing and fun, and the main plot is a carbon copy of the main plot from the first one, inconsistent and bad.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The half with Joan Cusack is brilliant as well. She’s a much better villain than the first one had.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The Addams kids at summer camp is perfect

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Rius wrote: »
    The Addams kids at summer camp is perfect

"I'll never forget you."

"...really?!"

"Yeah. You're too weird."

Best/most realistic portrayal of a middle school romance, ever.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hey, so there's a new Muppet show on Disney+ and it's pretty good.

The Swedish Chef bit in Ep1 had me dying.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    The half with Joan Cusack is brilliant as well. She’s a much better villain than the first one had.

She's good moment to moment and fun to watch always, but doesn't make sense as a cohesive character.

She goes from "ewww these weird Adams, so strange and gross." to "I helped Fester dig up his grandma, so I could wear her ring on my finger" and back again without any warning. Also, the Adams in general don't care much about their fortune and don't really fear death. So having a villain threaten these things is bizarre and generates zero tension.

• Options
    She's a psychopath who murdered her parents over the wrong Barbie doll and has made a career out of seducing, marrying, and murdering rich men so she can keep buying all the fancy shit she loves more than people.

If she was a cohesive character, it would be actively counterproductive to the role.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

She's good moment to moment and fun to watch always, but doesn't make sense as a cohesive character.

She goes from "ewww these weird Adams, so strange and gross." to "I helped Fester dig up his grandma, so I could wear her ring on my finger" and back again without any warning. Also, the Adams in general don't care much about their fortune and don't really fear death. So having a villain threaten these things is bizarre and generates zero tension.

I don't think the point of the Addams Family movies is generating tension

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hey, so there's a new Muppet show on Disney+ and it's pretty good.

The Swedish Chef bit in Ep1 had me dying.

I usually love Chef but just didnt really like the bits.

I could watch Gonzo ask Rupaul questions for 23 minutes straight however
    Something like:
    Gonzo: "You know how they say you swallow spiders in your sleep?"
    R: "Who says that?"
    Gonzo: "Are you disappointed you aren't awake for that?"
    Made the whole episode worth it.
    Fireflash wrote: »
    So how is umbrella academy season 2? I enjoyed season 1 but episode 1 of season 2 was pretty bad. I dont know what it is but a lot of the scenes just felt wrong. Bad acting/directing.

Wait till you get to the dumb cover of bad guy. Billie Eilish is synth ska, fite me. (I think someone else said all of the character arcs are pretty much exactly the same as the previous season, and I'm mostly through and thats seems to hold up. You only get to take 'its a time loop loop, get it?' so far)

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finished up Umbrella Academy S2 and it suffers from a couple huge glaring issues. On the execution side, it repeats the mistake of the first season: wasting a fuckload of the viewer's time on things that either end up not mattering to the story or otherwise just take way, way too long to show. I feel like you could easily carve out some 2-3 episodes of time from both seasons and have a much better, more interesting show; as it is, both seasons end up feeling really bloated to me, though S1 starts with more bloat and S2 puts more of it towards the end.

The other thing is the showmakers just don't seem to have any fucking clue as to keeping powers consistent or what to do with them. Luther in particular can shrug off an RPG round in one instance, then can get rather easily knocked out by simply a large man in another instance. He can accidentally put a hole through a brick wall, but a random misaimed fire extinguisher almost completely knocks him out. He's supposed to be this mega-tough tank of a man and literally never fucking ever gets to actually do anything impressive because he just constantly gets his ass kicked by random things, up to and including going from rocket-proof to not-even-moderately-bulletproof for the sake of drama. The fuck is this guy even on the team? Because apparently his power is a reputation for being super-strong and super-durable while he truthfully is no tougher than a middling pro wrestler. Vanya can stop bullets reflexively, but then gets knocked cold by the butt of some dude's shotgun. Rumor is just a huge waste of time because there's so fucking much she could easily handle with a sentence and instead she's stuck off pouting or moping at all the important moments. And Diego! Grow the fuck up and stop obsessing over one thing that could very well fuck the world over!

Why even bother having a superhero family show if the vast, vast majority of the time has the family split up and nobody apparently either actually has powers or otherwise is somehow unable to use them at all? We already did the whole "completely non-functional fuckup" phase of the family, we really didn't need an extended repeat of all that shit in a second season.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    I binged way to much umbrella academy. Really enjoyed season 2.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Japan Sinks was ok, I guess. Lots of very dumb stuff throughout all of it and it had a very weird vibe to it as well. Everything was super detached.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I got all excited that Robocop went up on Netflix, then noticed it was the new one and got sad.

It even worth watching?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno if someone not being a "cohesive character" when you're talking about the Addams Family movies is a compelling criticism. She's a psychotic, funny murderer.

And inconsistencies about the attitude of the family towards their fortune is just, I dunno, irrelevant. You might as well say well they claim to love their kids but when Morticia sees Wednesday putting Pugsley in the electric chair she doesn't care which is inconsistent and therefore your suspension of disbelief suffers and etc.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I got all excited that Robocop went up on Netflix, then noticed it was the new one and got sad.

It even worth watching?

NuRoboCop has one very good scene but you can always watch that on youtube*. It's fine but is very much a film you might watch if you stumble on it on TV rather than seek it out.

*"robocop show me"

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The Robocop remake isn't horrible, but everything about it is a pale imitation of the original. Verhoeven and the script of the original aren't exactly subtle, but subtle isn't necessary when you've got that much quality satire smacking you in the face. The remake has some interesting themes and ideas, but it never really commits to them or smacks you upside the head with something hard enough to sit up and take notice.

I think it had similar issues to the Total Recall remake, where the original was loud and crude in all the best ways; but the remake decided to try and be more cerebral but didn't fully commit to it, and splitting the difference just ended up making the whole thing forgettable.

Aquaman was on the menu last night. I can confirm that it's a movie with an aquatic man in it. It had some moments, but generally they weren't good ones.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Finished up Umbrella Academy S2 and it suffers from a couple huge glaring issues. On the execution side, it repeats the mistake of the first season: wasting a fuckload of the viewer's time on things that either end up not mattering to the story or otherwise just take way, way too long to show. I feel like you could easily carve out some 2-3 episodes of time from both seasons and have a much better, more interesting show; as it is, both seasons end up feeling really bloated to me, though S1 starts with more bloat and S2 puts more of it towards the end.

The other thing is the showmakers just don't seem to have any fucking clue as to keeping powers consistent or what to do with them. Luther in particular can shrug off an RPG round in one instance, then can get rather easily knocked out by simply a large man in another instance. He can accidentally put a hole through a brick wall, but a random misaimed fire extinguisher almost completely knocks him out. He's supposed to be this mega-tough tank of a man and literally never fucking ever gets to actually do anything impressive because he just constantly gets his ass kicked by random things, up to and including going from rocket-proof to not-even-moderately-bulletproof for the sake of drama. The fuck is this guy even on the team? Because apparently his power is a reputation for being super-strong and super-durable while he truthfully is no tougher than a middling pro wrestler. Vanya can stop bullets reflexively, but then gets knocked cold by the butt of some dude's shotgun. Rumor is just a huge waste of time because there's so fucking much she could easily handle with a sentence and instead she's stuck off pouting or moping at all the important moments. And Diego! Grow the fuck up and stop obsessing over one thing that could very well fuck the world over!

Why even bother having a superhero family show if the vast, vast majority of the time has the family split up and nobody apparently either actually has powers or otherwise is somehow unable to use them at all? We already did the whole "completely non-functional fuckup" phase of the family, we really didn't need an extended repeat of all that shit in a second season.

I'm 100% with you, but I think some things are ok to handwave, and some are subtly explained.
    He seems armored everywhere but his head. He gets knocked around when hit inthe head and bleeds when hit there. That seems to be why he took a tank round to the midsection but shot in the head.

There's a interview with a showrunner saying that this season was about how they all have more potential, they just are shunted by Bens death and their father fucking them up and stopping them from growing. This is why everything boils down to a daddy issue, too. He states Diego's powers were always 'controlling trajectory' which is fine.

But holy fuck, Diego? He just steps out from behind the tractor like he could always do that and stops bullets Neo style. Complete bullshit nonsense.

I liked the 'oga foroga' bit, and 'shes family!' 'but not biologically' really stupid jokes. The first half of the season had Diego seem too competent because of bad pacing, and then throws you that hes actually established as a dumb ass.

I was really disappointed with the music choices, this season had major tonal problems throughout.
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The Robocop remake isn't horrible, but everything about it is a pale imitation of the original. Verhoeven and the script of the original aren't exactly subtle, but subtle isn't necessary when you've got that much quality satire smacking you in the face. The remake has some interesting themes and ideas, but it never really commits to them or smacks you upside the head with something hard enough to sit up and take notice.

If you ignore that its "a robocop movie", and just go with it being a Frankenstein movie, it becomes a lot more tolerable and better. I felt the villain was too smart to do the "brag and show off" cliche thing. I actually recommend people watch it, if you can just ignore that its robocop branded, because this was clearly some other movie they slapped the franchise name onto.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

It even worth watching?

It's got some good ideas and a few excellent scenes but ultimately it's got that feeling of a soulless mid-budget sci-fi movie where it's rarely truly bad but it's ultimately never that interesting or compelling either. It's just fucking bland outside a few key moments. The script has no idea what to do with the ideas it raises and just kinda farts out a conclusion at the end with the feeling of "we ran out of money, so we gotta end this shit now". It's also got nothing notable in terms of action.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I dunno if someone not being a "cohesive character" when you're talking about the Addams Family movies is a compelling criticism. She's a psychotic, funny murderer.

And inconsistencies about the attitude of the family towards their fortune is just, I dunno, irrelevant. You might as well say well they claim to love their kids but when Morticia sees Wednesday putting Pugsley in the electric chair she doesn't care which is inconsistent and therefore your suspension of disbelief suffers and etc.

It's weird to say that things like consistent characterization and an antagonist that actually opposes in a meaningful way are things that the movie doesn't want, when the B plot has those things and is stronger for it.

If recycling a barely passable plot-line from the first movie works for you, then fine. More power to you. I'm not telling you that you can't enjoy it. But better can be done. And they did it in the other half of the movie.

BSoB on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Amazon's new adds are:

-Top Gun (!)
    -Inception
    -3:10 to Yuma '07
    -Alan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold (!!! Elvira!)
    -American Ninja
    -The King's Speech
    -Margin Call (!)
    -Rain Man
    -RED
    -Spoder-Man 3

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    RED is also a good time

Just the first one, the second one was absolutely awful.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Amazon's new adds are:

-Top Gun (!)
    -Inception
    -3:10 to Yuma '07
    -Alan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold (!!! Elvira!)
    -American Ninja
    -The King's Speech
    -Margin Call (!)
    -Rain Man
    -RED
    -Spoder-Man 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhy7JUinlu0

Margin Call's pretty good. Though the rest of the movie isn't as good as that scene.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    For all the Prime hate there is a reason the quality can suck so bad. Amazon essentially let's anyone put any media they own the copyright on the platform. I tried to ink a deal with amazon and the terms had nothing to do with quality, all about the cash paid per hour watched. Can only imagine the horror on the sales side with media being converted from physical media to sell as digitized copies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Long Way Up with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman is on the way to Apple TV+. Long Way Down was great so I’m not going to miss this.

https://www.televisual.com/news/apple-reunites-mcgregor-and-boorman-for-long-way-up/

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Finished Umbrella Academy. I liked it! Though, Vonya is my least favorite character.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Jesus disney is putting out mulan and black widow on disney + for thirty fucking dollars. Why do I pay for the disney + system if you want me to drop the cost of a blu ray + to watch a release movie on it?

Fuck off with this shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jesus disney is putting out mulan and black widow on disney + for thirty fucking dollars. Why do I pay for the disney + system if you want me to drop the cost of a blu ray + to watch a release movie on it?

Fuck off with this shit.

Thirty dollars? I don't mind paying a bit for brand new releases that were planned to be released in theaters, but that's steep!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Fuck off with this shit.

Thirty dollars? I don't mind paying a bit for brand new releases that were planned to be released in theaters, but that's steep!

Its literally more than I would pay at the actual theater. And that's not even factoring in the disney + service charge.

What's next having to pay for individual episodes of mando or the new lando show?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Fuck off with this shit.

During a pandemic caused economic crisis to boot.

Not advocating, just curious, will Black Widow take Spores title of most pirated item?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Fuck off with this shit.

During a pandemic caused economic crisis to boot.

Not advocating, just curious, will Black Widow take Spores title of most pirated item?

Depends on if there's any interest in going to the effort to pirate it. I'm perfectly fine never seeing Mulan. I'm kind of interested in Black Widow, but I doubt I'd go out of my way to see it. As far as the MCU is concerned, its only relevance is if it maybe introduces someone/something that will show up in later movies. The titular character is irrelevant now.

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.