As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    One of the first cheap car challenges from season 4, it might have been the first one (a $100 pound challenge), ended with them all ramming their cars into a brick/dirt wall, and I believe it was Clarkson who fractured his hand and brought the X-Ray to show in the studio.

Youtube is saying it's S4E3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xq7w5bLPZM

This is the Hyundai Genesis of the cheap car challenges.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    New interview on the Drive Tribe Youtube channel with a bit of info on Hammond's standalone TV show. In his words, it's a popular science and engineering show with Tori Belleci from Mythbusters taking place on a desert island, and it'll be airing later this year.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    New interview on the Drive Tribe Youtube channel with a bit of info on Hammond's standalone TV show. In his words, it's a popular science and engineering show with Tori Belleci from Mythbusters taking place on a desert island, and it'll be airing later this year.

The Hamster and a Mythbuster on a science show? Hell. Yes. It's so damn hard to find a decent science show these days now that all the science channels have basically packed it in for reality trash. I enjoy watching Savage's channel now and again, but he's more of a special effects guy than an engineering/science guy.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Apparently this isn't his first time hosting a science-y show, he did something similar 15 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpB7vBlDAVA

Brainiac was fantastic. It became a staple of my late-night TV routine when it was shown in syndication on G4.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Oh my god I totally remember that show! Woah, total memory-hole inversion!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk0xEJ1COs

New series of Top Gear starting Sunday.

• Options
    James May is now cooking not in his bunker, but in a bourgeoisie Amazon Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glN3ReMrw

As long as we don't have forced drama between James and the other side of the camera and he just cooks what he wants to, not some unattainable goal, it should be fun.

While they're doing these fillers, and Amazon is definitely needing them because of production chaos everywhere else, they should really let Clarkson do some of his war story specials or an entire story about Vietnam since he actually likes the country.

• Options
    Clarkson's farm show hasn't popped up yet, has it?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    No, seems conspicuously absent. I know covid and all, but I really expected it a lot sooner.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    No, seems conspicuously absent. I know covid and all, but I really expected it a lot sooner.

that's a shame, I hope it comes out soon. I knew Clarkson would be great at farming and agriculture in general ever since the Top Ground Gear Force ... just hope he doesn't shear sheep the same way he trims branches.

• Options
    There was an ad for... I think it was lamb for sale, and he seemed pretty into it. Maybe that's just years of being a TV personality but it looked genuine.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I'm just getting to last week's Top Gear.

I don't think I've ever cupped my hands over my face in abject horror watching this show before (at least, not since Hammond and the Vulture but I only caught that a long time after the fact). But I did in this episode. Oh my good God.

And it wasn't even twelve minutes in.

(I should clarify that every person was okay.)

Edit: Yeah, that was a cracker of an episode all told. S29E2 if you're looking it up.

Jazz on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    That uh...took me WAY too long to figure out.

• Options
    Aw man if they went that way with the joke it should have ended with another one that said "ur mom gay"

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Why are they keeping nickie in the closet?

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
  • Options
    If they’re in Madagascar they better have Clarkson do the Moto Moto meme UwU

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    If they’re in Madagascar they better have Clarkson do the Moto Moto meme UwU

don't know what that is, don't want to know what that is.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    * queues up "Come With Me Now" by Kongos

I really wish they made this the theme music for the show, rather than just a promo.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXSQJCGhsQ
    new season of grand tour is out
    nice

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXSQJCGhsQ
    new season of grand tour is out
    nice

Clarkson looks like he's fucking dying.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    He definitely looks quite a bit older than 60.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I was kinda surprised that they were still going to do specials after the show ended, given how old they are and how grueling the conditions can be for them.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I enjoyed the special, better than Seamen, but the scripted structure of Wrecking Ball having the next piece of info was too blatant.

Those roads, I'm not trying to tell a third world how to do their jobs (although I'd make you second world in ten years or less, guaranteed), you don't need to tarmac everything but having a crew just go out there to smash those giant rocks and nothing else would increase productivity and transportation fivefold.
    Wrecking Ball's Focus not having a replacement clutch, this had to have felt like an oversight because we saw the traveling maintenance vehicle, and a clutch isn't that cumbersome to carry for the production crew. Especially when you already saw how he converted his car to begin with, replacement tracks and a clutch on a hot hatch would be no duh, brah. And at some point they need to just not travel at night, some of these places are putting these old farts at risk, it wasn't like there was a time challenge here.

It's just funny looking at Clarkson in the show, a year ago, compared to his red drunk quarantine face now.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I was kinda surprised that they were still going to do specials after the show ended, given how old they are and how grueling the conditions can be for them.

When the series stuff wrapped up, I remember Clarkson saying they would basically happily do this stuff until they die, they just can't keep doing multiple grueling trips every year so basically all future releases would be "specials".

Which isn't a bad idea, to be honest. They get more special footage than they can use anyway, so why not do fewer specials that run longer instead of a pile of episodes filled with cars 95% of people can't buy or drive anyway?

Personally, my max enjoyment of the show has always been them working with "regular" or used vehicles over cruising around with super-vehicles so expensive I won't even ever see them in person.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    The Mongolia special was so good. The specials don't have to hit that bar every time, but I'd be thrilled to see one of these a month.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I felt that Clarkson is the limiting factor when it comes to these things.

May and Hammond have approximately five hundred billion shows between them, but Clarkson doesn't seem to have done anything else?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I felt that Clarkson is the limiting factor when it comes to these things.

May and Hammond have approximately five hundred billion shows between them, but Clarkson doesn't seem to have done anything else?

Clarkson does some lower-key stuff too. He recently hosted a rebooted Who Wants to be a Millionaire? over here, for example.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    It was a good episode but felt a little too scripted, the main highlight had to be
    James Mays miracle powered caterham. I wouldn't honestly have bet on that thing making it more than twenty feet on those roads. The journey felt a lot less epic than previous ones because it was about a tenth as long just on much harder roads, it feels like there was more scripted drama because they had a lot less naturally occuring stuff to work with. Almost worth it just to see the caterham two wheeling its way up rock faces though!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Clarkson does some lower-key stuff too. He recently hosted a rebooted Who Wants to be a Millionaire? over here, for example.

Oh I didn't know that, cool.

One thing I'll say about TG and GT as a while is just how much love goes into shooting and finishing each episode. The angles and editing and music it's all just so lovingly created.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Tory Belleci
    @ToryBelleci

Stuck on an island in the middle of the ocean with
    @RichardHammond
    ... what could go wrong? The Great Escapists launches 29th January.

Hmmmm.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    the Hamster doesn't have a great track record for personal specials, but i'll check it out.
    Who's the other guy? I think I remember him being on Mythbusters...

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Yeah, Tory is former Mythbusters.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    the Hamster doesn't have a great track record for personal specials, but i'll check it out.
    Who's the other guy? I think I remember him being on Mythbusters...
    Tori was part of the Mythbusters Build Team with Grant Imahara (RIP, fuck you 2020) and Kari Byron.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Great Escapists is up on Prime now UwU, much more scripted than Top Gear or Grand Tour has ever been, and I’m not counting the framing sequence they’re using.

They should have just made it an adult Swiss Family Robinson show making homes and gadgets

TexiKen on