As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've been pretty against the Daisy/Sousa ship since it started, right up until he gave his speech this episode, then my underpants exploded and I get it now.

You can take it further!
    both their previous boyfriends died (or so they thought) on planes during actions to take down Hydra :p

But nah, it always seemed to make some small amount of sense to me, and they have onscreen chemistry. I more buy him being into her than her being into him, but I can see her being willing to give it a shot.
    age thing have me an initial pause, but if you take the show to be in 2020-ish, she's supposed to be 32 at this point, and he's 37, which is a hell of a lot closer than I thought.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I've been pretty against the Daisy/Sousa ship since it started, right up until he gave his speech this episode, then my underpants exploded and I get it now.

Apparently, so did Daisy's.

• BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    I'm not against the ship, but it is weird seeing Victor date Sierra's daughter.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I'm also gonna chime in that I thought this was a fantastic episode.
    Time loops are definitely a common sci-fi plot, but they really nailed the execution here.

I think it worked really well to sell it that as soon as it seems like Daisy started to get a handle on what's going on...Coulson swoops in to be like "You have no idea, we've done this so many times, you've died a bunch, I'm so over it." Just the reveal that the character we're following is herself completely unaware of a lot of what's happened really added some depth to the situation.

They also did a really great job blending comedy and tragedy into one episode, which my favorite shows and episodes tend to do. A lot of the character reactions were priceless. I laughed out loud at the bit where Deke died and Mac or whoever asked if they needed to care and Daisy is just like "No." I don't think it was dig at Deke at all, they just know that it'll reset and doesn't matter.

Enoch was very well-used this episode and I think it was a great sendoff for him, sad as it was.

kaceyp wrote: »
    I'm also gonna chime in that I thought this was a fantastic episode.
    Time loops are definitely a common sci-fi plot, but they really nailed the execution here.

I think it worked really well to sell it that as soon as it seems like Daisy started to get a handle on what's going on...Coulson swoops in to be like "You have no idea, we've done this so many times, you've died a bunch, I'm so over it." Just the reveal that the character we're following is herself completely unaware of a lot of what's happened really added some depth to the situation.

They also did a really great job blending comedy and tragedy into one episode, which my favorite shows and episodes tend to do. A lot of the character reactions were priceless. I laughed out loud at the bit where Deke died and Mac or whoever asked if they needed to care and Daisy is just like "No." I don't think it was dig at Deke at all, they just know that it'll reset and doesn't matter.

Enoch was very well-used this episode and I think it was a great sendoff for him, sad as it was.
    That's why I rank the episode of Star Trek Discovery so high, even though I'm not a devoted fan of the show.
    The main character of the series is OUTSIDE the loop. Following from what would be Sousa or Simmons perspective.
    Enoch was a character that could have been the most boring character ever. That actor, and the writers, deserve a crapload of credit for making him someone to care about.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I rarely watch the show and it was a good episode.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    That episode was absolutely fantastic. Helluva directorial debut for Henstridge.
    Fitz is dead, isn't he?
    :(
    I think that's a given.

I'd bet money based on her reaction after it's removal, that Simmons implant is primarily there to not allow her to acknowledge Fitz's death, and is therefore able to function at a higher level than if she were grieving.

I did like the kick at Deke.

"Deke's dead."
    "Very."
    "Don't you think we should be sad about that?"
    "No we should not."

Poor Deke.

And in the end, it does look like Enoch 'saw the irony', of loneliness and loss.

I do know that if there weren't four episodes remaining, I'd be fucking furious about the loss of Enoch. But he got to have a noble sacrifice, near the end, and well, that's the best that can be hoped for for someone who's otherwise functionally immortal. Best case otherwise is he continues to exist past the point where everyone else (bar maybe Coulson) dies.

Gonna say, most scifi shows have this trope at some point during their run, and it's kinda interesting to see how it gets played.

They definitely pulled it off, and there's only one (SG-1) that IMO did it better. A contested second place to that is a big win for AOS.

There has to be more to it than that, at the least.
    It's not a secret she'd be willing to kill the entire crew to protect.

Scooter wrote: »
    That episode was absolutely fantastic. Helluva directorial debut for Henstridge.
    Fitz is dead, isn't he?
    :(
    I think that's a given.

I'd bet money based on her reaction after it's removal, that Simmons implant is primarily there to not allow her to acknowledge Fitz's death, and is therefore able to function at a higher level than if she were grieving.

I did like the kick at Deke.

"Deke's dead."
    "Very."
    "Don't you think we should be sad about that?"
    "No we should not."

Poor Deke.

And in the end, it does look like Enoch 'saw the irony', of loneliness and loss.

I do know that if there weren't four episodes remaining, I'd be fucking furious about the loss of Enoch. But he got to have a noble sacrifice, near the end, and well, that's the best that can be hoped for for someone who's otherwise functionally immortal. Best case otherwise is he continues to exist past the point where everyone else (bar maybe Coulson) dies.

Gonna say, most scifi shows have this trope at some point during their run, and it's kinda interesting to see how it gets played.

They definitely pulled it off, and there's only one (SG-1) that IMO did it better. A contested second place to that is a big win for AOS.

There has to be more to it than that, at the least.
    It's not a secret she'd be willing to kill the entire crew to protect.
    Depends on the instructions she gave Enoch. Lack of specificity has been the cause of many a fuckup.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm an episode behind, soon to be two episodes, but I just saw After, Before and holy shit Yoyo.

Also this villain isn't interesting and that lady seems to be the most easily manipulated person in the universe.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Nathaniel's entire personality is "owns fingerless gloves." Of course he's evil. Of course.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Nathaniel feels like Kasius; a speed bump on the way to the bigger bad.

sig.gif
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    If there's a bigger bad, 4 episodes isn't a lot of time to introduce them and build them up

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    McFodder wrote: »
    If there's a bigger bad, 4 episodes isn't a lot of time to introduce them and build them up
    Chronomicons.

sig.gif
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nice to see that they got Bill Paxton's son to play young Garrett.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I don't remember much of the first couple seasons. Was Garrett always so weird?

Also speculations
    This whole season Jemma has been more techy than she used to be. I'm worried the Fitz reveal is going to be that she ate his brain or something.

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't remember much of the first couple seasons. Was Garrett always so weird?

Also speculations
    This whole season Jemma has been more techy than she used to be. I'm worried the Fitz reveal is going to be that she ate his brain or something.

Fitz and episodes up until the recent one.
    Any chance that he digitized his mind and is "living" inside the implant inside Jemma in a pseudo-framework allowing him to communicate with her?
    That way, he could be subtly lending her his technical expertise to keep stuff running while hiding from the C-bots and suppressing her memory of that fact so the C-bots will have a wild goose chase to go on when they come looking for him. Eventual plan is to get him loaded into an LMD once they're out of danger so they can live happily ever after (dammit, let FitzSimmons live happily ever after already!). Implant-Fitz would guide her towards that end, or unlock her memories of the plan when they're safe.
    When they removed that implant, she remembers the plan and realizes they just killed Fitz without knowing it, possibly explaining her panic attack in that timeline.
    I haven't been right about a single thing on the show so far, I doubt I'm going to be starting now.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jeez. Two weeks left. Apparently the finale will be 2 hours long.

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded this season being a little longer.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I had no idea that's who that was, but during the first scene at the bar I started thinking "Hmm, I wonder if this is a random new character with a quick back(future)story or somebody we know. Like Garrett or something."

And then later I was thinking that the actor was doing a pretty good job with the facial expressions/grins.

kaceyp on
    He was holding his own, acting wise, until the action scene. Holy shit was he a stiff when it came to the fake punch em up. I don't think I've ever noticed poor stunt work on the show before.

May makes everyone look like a chump, though.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »

Well... except Daisy. She's had some Wick-ian action scenes, in the early seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er87zafA0bs

Not going to argue that she's better, or even an equal to May, cause Ming-Na Wen is awesome.

But she's no chump in comparison.

Sorce wrote: »

Well... except Daisy. She's had some Wick-ian action scenes, in the early seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er87zafA0bs

Not going to argue that she's better, or even an equal to May, cause Ming-Na Wen is awesome.

But she's no chump in comparison.

Yeah but only because May trained her.

steam_sig.png
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    The classic weakness of Daisy's mom, spine breaking, comes back. I'm not sure how it is less survivable than having all your organs and blood removed and your corpse thrown in the trash, but whatever.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Man, those one shots really highlight how much the budget has been cut since the early seasons. Once upon a time this show had arguably the best action choreography on non-premium television.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Yeah my first thought seeing that clip was that it's a shame the show doesn't really do that kind of thing anymore

Also, I am still not onboard for the Daisy/Sousa ship.

edited August 2020
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Also, I am still not onboard for the Daisy/Sousa ship.
    Same here; dude is being nice/supportive, but that doesn't mean they have to end up together.

Three episodes left though, so we'll see.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    I just hope he ends up somewhere. Been waiting for Enver to get a steady gig for ages, the guy's handsome as hell and way too talented not to be bigger.

Latest episode nitpicking.
    Also, Mallik saying he has more years of practice than Daisy was stupid. There is almost no way he has more actual combat experience(with or without powers) at this point. She's not at May's level where there are two lifetimes of experience(real world and inside the framework), but she has a ton of experience in actual combat against other powered beings, while he has basically been the dude cutting water bottles in his backyard until the attack on Afterlife.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Villain annoyance
    Malick's unearned-win plot armor is giving me flashbacks to Game of Thrones and
    Ramsay Bolton
    Season was doing real well until this last episode, which I spent a lot of just going "ugh not again."

Also, Mallik saying he has more years of practice than Daisy was stupid. There is almost no way he has more actual combat experience(with or without powers) at this point. She's not at May's level where there are two lifetimes of experience(real world and inside the framework), but she has a ton of experience in actual combat against other powered beings, while he has basically been the dude cutting water bottles in his backyard until the attack on Afterlife.
    Granted, but then a couple seconds later he pissed her off and learned what happens when she isn't holding back.

steam_sig.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Granted, but then a couple seconds later he pissed her off and learned what happens when she isn't holding back.
    In any case he's perhaps the least interesting villain the show has ever had. I don't find him and his dumb-looking fingerless gloves threatening at all.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    In any case he's perhaps the least interesting villain the show has ever had. I don't find him and his dumb-looking fingerless gloves threatening at all.
    Technically he's not the villain, he's the villain's lieutenant.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I find Malick interesting as a character and fine as a mid-level villain, maybe the sort of character who hangs around for several seasons building history and back story until he's earned a reputation for being a legit threat. But he in no way has the gravitas to be the big bad.

I kept kind of expecting him to accidentally introduce someone much bigger and scarier as the actual big bad, because that's the vibe he has. Or maybe he gets turned into something terrifying and all powerful by the Chronocoms, or something.

As to Daisy and Souza, I'm on board. It's no FitzSimmons, but he's a good guy with a good personality, honorable and heroic, and damned good looking. I'd hit it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    I find Malick interesting as a character and fine as a mid-level villain, maybe the sort of character who hangs around for several seasons building history and back story until he's earned a reputation for being a legit threat. But he in no way has the gravitas to be the big bad.

I kept kind of expecting him to accidentally introduce someone much bigger and scarier as the actual big bad, because that's the vibe he has. Or maybe he gets turned into something terrifying and all powerful by the Chronocoms, or something.

As to Daisy and Souza, I'm on board. It's no FitzSimmons, but he's a good guy with a good personality, honorable and heroic, and damned good looking. I'd hit it.

Yeah, it'd be a bad choice for an end of season villain. As an end of series villain, I'm just not feeling it. I'm loving the final series, but yeah, we've had demigods and super AI, vast conspiracies and alien hiveminds. And this is what they chose to finish on?

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I mean, I consider Sybil to be the real Big Bad. Malick is just the primary Lieutenant who's the stronger fighter who they have to physically overcome to get to the real big bad.

Minor preview spoilers
    I'm expecting the Chronocom fleet to show up next episode and Sybil to keep Malick around, but it'll be obvious he's not running things anymore. And he'll chafe at that and maybe do a heel-turn at the 11th hour to be put down.

At this point though, I'm going to be SUPER disappointed if they don't get Brett Dalton back for an episode where he plays an actual good, legit, Agent of SHIELD since Garret wasn't around to corrupt him

Jragghen on
    I'm really curious how all the timeline stuff is ultimately going to get sorted
    theoretically they've totally upended at least the first couple seasons of the show by snatching Garrett out of the timeline and killing all the Afterlife characters.

I hadn't considered the idea that Ward would end up good because Garrett isn't around, I was actually thinking that maybe Sybil/Malick could grab (evil) Ward from the timeline to mess with the agents just in time for the finale. Either way this is all a perfect excuse to bring Ward back one last time and I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't/didn't take advantage of it.

theoretically they've totally upended at least the first couple seasons of the show by snatching Garrett out of the timeline and killing all the Afterlife characters.

I hadn't considered the idea that Ward would end up good because Garrett isn't around, I was actually thinking that maybe Sybil/Malick could grab (evil) Ward from the timeline to mess with the agents just in time for the finale. Either way this is all a perfect excuse to bring Ward back one last time and I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't/didn't take advantage of it.
    Bring back Hive-Ward, just to fuck with Daisy a bit extra.

sig.gif
    edited August 2020

Any excuse for more Ward is great, but without Garrett, doesn't he just end up in and out of prison forever after his initial delinquency? He's not really likely to catch the attention of Victoria Hand or somebody like that who can elevate him and channel his crazy for good. Ward is already pretty damaged before Garrett gets there. Not sure he would be able to correct himself on his own.

Geddoe on