As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"With the Power of God and [Anime] on my side...

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The netflix subs for Food wars are uh

Overly accurate huh?

As in it sounds google translated or something?

I was sort of hoping they would have fun with them like they did with the closed-captioning on Toonami. The captions just kinda rolled with it when the show did one of its over-the-top flavor fantasy moments, with sound effects like <crispy-fried moans> or <foodgasming continues>

Enlong on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Woo, Solo Leveling back from hiatus

Literally JUST came to post that.

God, I've missed this series.

I feel like I missed the boat on this series.

Still time to hop on the boat!

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Holy shit Newgrounds still exists

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'd put Spy x Family ahead of it but those are the two Jump series I think are worth reading ATM

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I've seen a decent amount of people saying Jujutsu Kaisen is worth reading, but I read the first chapter and it seemed very similar to something like Bleach or Chainsaw Man, but with less interesting characters. I might give it another shot, I'm not sure.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    something in the shonen fights genre has to really stand out to earn any attention to me, like chainsaw man

BahamutZERO.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I've seen a decent amount of people saying Jujutsu Kaisen is worth reading, but I read the first chapter and it seemed very similar to something like Bleach or Chainsaw Man, but with less interesting characters. I might give it another shot, I'm not sure.

Eh. I gave it 12 chapters or so and did not care for it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Kaiju no. 8 is good

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    something in the shonen fights genre has to really stand out to earn any attention to me, like chainsaw man

Demon King Academy is standing out to me for how utterly ludicrous it is.

The protagonist starts as a baby who immediately names himself before his parents do, ages himself into a child form because being a baby is inconvenient, receives an invitation to magic school and ages himself to teenage form to attend, kills his opponent in the entry exams by enhancing the sound of his own heartbeat, resurrects his opponent, kills him again, resurrects him again, and does this several more times in a row before the fight ends. He is the epitome of power fantasy played straight as an arrow

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I just randomly watched the first episode of Zombieland Saga. I remember hearing that the rest of the show doesn't live up to the first episode. Is that about right? Any other opinions?

uyvfOQy.png
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    besides the funny lampshade it turns pretty quickly into a standard idol show, which is a premise and industry that is Not My Bag, Baby

Whippy wrote: »
    besides the funny lampshade it turns pretty quickly into a standard idol show, which is a premise and industry that is Not My Bag, Baby

That's almost exactly what I remember people talking about. I probably won't go out of my way for it, then.

uyvfOQy.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It lessens the comedy over time but it still keeps it.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I tried to finish Cross Ange before it was taken away, but only got as far as episode 20, which mostly involved a dream sequence of assorted characters being abused in pointlessly cruel fashion.

I feel like nothing of value was lost.

wVEsyIc.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    'Just laughing' is a really good gimmick that more anime characters need to use.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ExePeYkGwA

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    Kaiju no. 8 is good

It has a MHA vibe but also a weird Devil may cry vibe?

I was worried it was an old one shot til I got to the last chapter.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

I bounced off, gave it another try and am caught up but am falling off the wagon.

It's the other Bleach successor, getting the rest of the good stuff Black Clover didn't. It's got some serious style. It's just hard as hell to tell what's going on half the time, and constantly feels like you're missing half-chapters.

I'm hoping if it makes the jump to anime it'll be easier to follow.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

I bounced off, gave it another try and am caught up but am falling off the wagon.

It's the other Bleach successor, getting the rest of the good stuff Black Clover didn't. It's got some serious style. It's just hard as hell to tell what's going on half the time, and constantly feels like you're missing half-chapters.

I'm hoping if it makes the jump to anime it'll be easier to follow.

It's getting an anime I think next year? It's why I picked it up again after bouncing off it the first time.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Oh hey is this where everyone is talking about how good Chainsaw Man is?

Oh, the new chapter’s up.

Fuck you Chainsaw Man

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So back a couple years ago two of the players in my then-current D&D game recommended the anime The Seven Deadly Sins to me (one later even asked if he could straight-up play as a certain character from the show named Escanor in my game). I ended up watching all of it because it was basically Dungeons & Dragons meets Dragon Ball Z.

However, I was continuously put off by the treatment of the primary female character, Elizabeth, by the show's protagonist, Meliodas.
    As a a running "gag" Meliodas frequently openly gropes Elizabeth and looks up her skirt.They eventually "justify" this by establishing that Elizabeth was originally a goddess who fell in love with Meliodas, a powerful demon, in time immemorial. She took mortal form to be with Meliodas, and she's since reincarnated over and over to fall in love with the immortal Meliodas all over again throughout countless lifetimes.

That's neat and all, but Meliodas just seems to take it as a given the "first" time Elizabeth "meets" him that the relationship boundaries he and Elizabeth set during all her past lives still apply, despite the current Elizabeth not knowing who the fuck this guy is. I got the implication later that Elizabeth was okay with everything because subconsciously she "knew" Meliodas, specifically when during a later groping session she transitions from a startled, flustered expression to playful laughter. Still, though, I would have greatly appreciated this not having been a thing at all.

It also concerns me that of the other two major relationships, one is between an ancient fairy who looks like a boy and a giantess who is now an adult but first met the fairy when she was a young child (and at one point was briefly taken care of by the fairy), and the other is between an adult man and the male fairy's sister, who herself looks like a young girl.

I ended up accidentally falling down a Youtube hole last night of watching clips from the various kickass fight scenes in the series, like the time Meliodas has an ally teleport him hundreds of miles away to where the bad guys are hanging out just to wreck a recurring villain's shit for the ten minutes it takes for him to be teleported back.

So it's definitely a problematic fave of mine, but problematic to the point that I fear I may have made a mistake getting into it at all.

Hexmage-PA on
    Sword Art Online: What if a tryhard edgelord expertly abused every intricacy of an online game to get cool gear and become incredibly powerful, and everyone thought he was a dick?

Bofuri: What if an adorable idiot accidentally the whole dungeon and stumbled into broken skills and gear, and everyone thought it was just precious?

uyvfOQy.png
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So back a couple years ago two of the players in my then-current D&D game recommended the anime The Seven Deadly Sins to me (one later even asked if he could straight-up play as a certain character from the show named Escanor in my game). I ended up watching all of it because it was basically Dungeons & Dragons meets Dragon Ball Z.

However, I was continuously put off by the treatment of the primary female character, Elizabeth, by the show's protagonist, Meliodas.
    As a a running "gag" Meliodas frequently openly gropes Elizabeth and looks up her skirt.They eventually "justify" this by establishing that Elizabeth was originally a goddess who fell in love with Meliodas, a powerful demon, in time immemorial. She took mortal form to be with Meliodas, and she's since reincarnated over and over to fall in love with the immortal Meliodas all over again throughout countless lifetimes.

That's neat and all, but Meliodas just seems to take it as a given the "first" time Elizabeth "meets" him that the relationship boundaries he and Elizabeth set during all her past lives still apply, despite the current Elizabeth not knowing who the fuck this guy is. I got the implication later that Elizabeth was okay with everything because subconsciously she "knew" Meliodas, specifically when during a later groping session she transitions from a startled, flustered expression to playful laughter. Still, though, I would have greatly appreciated this not having been a thing at all.

It also concerns me that of the other two major relationships, one is between an ancient fairy who looks like a boy and a giantess who is now an adult but first met the fairy when she has a young child (and at one point was briefly taken care of by the fairy), and the other is between an adult man and the male fairy's sister, who herself looks like a young girl.

I ended up accidentally falling down a Youtube hole last night of watching clips from the various kickass fight scenes in the series, like the time Meliodas has an ally teleport him hundreds of miles away just to where the bad guys are hanging out just to wreck a recurring villain's shit for the ten minutes it takes for him to be teleported back.

So it's definitely a problematic fave of mine, but problematic to the point that I fear I may have made a mistake getting into it at all.

The final season of the anime is horrendous

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Brolo wrote: »

Older millenials invented glomping.

DarkPrimus on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

It also concerns me that of the other two major relationships, one is between an ancient fairy who looks like a boy and a giantess who is now an adult but first met the fairy when she has a young child (and at one point was briefly taken care of by the fairy), and the other is between an adult man and the male fairy's sister, who herself looks like a young girl.

I ended up accidentally falling down a Youtube hole last night of watching clips from the various kickass fight scenes in the series, like the time Meliodas has an ally teleport him hundreds of miles away just to where the bad guys are hanging out just to wreck a recurring villain's shit for the ten minutes it takes for him to be teleported back.

There's one sequence in 7DS that was worth it, the rest was problematic, like you wrote, plus the writing went off the rails in later arcs and lacked consistency.
    Escanor vs Estarossa in the manga was AMAZING. I never watched the anime at all, but I caught that fight on youtube, and they did not do that fight justice.

So mitama and home collector are probably axed. M+ has a...not a bug, but a way to tell.
    Mangaplus has IDs for chapters in the URL. Usually they put up the IDs for the next 3-4 issues of Weekly Shounen Jump at a time. For example this week, the One Piece chapter has the ID 7479 at the end of the URL. The next 3 IDs 7480-7482 will be filled with the next three chapters of One Piece. The ID 7483 is the current chapter of Jujutsu Kaisen.

However if a manga has less than 4 IDs, it means it will be absent in at least one of the next 4 issues. So it will either go on break or it will end in less than 4 chapters. Since new manga pretty much never go on break, it's usually always cancellation.

Here's the Mangaplus IDs for the next month:

7310-7312 MHA (still using old IDs because of unexpected breaks, current chapter is 7311)

7479-7482 One Piece

7483-7486 Jujutsu Kaisen

7487-7488 (either MHA or new series replacing Mitama)

7489-7492 Black Clover

7493-7494 (either MHA or new series replacing Mitama)

7495-7498 We Never Learn

7499-7502 Dr. Stone

7503-7506 Act-Age

7507-7510 Chainsaw Man

7511-7514 Mission Yozakura Family

7515-7516 Mitama Security (only 2 IDs)

7517-7520 Agravity Boys

7521-7524 Undead Unluck

7525-7528 Mashle

7529-7532 Moriking

7533-7535 Bone Collection (only 3 IDs)

7536-7539 Time Paradox Ghostwriter

7540-7543 Ayakashi Triangle

7544-7547 Magu-chan

7548 (probably a new series replacing Bone Collection)

7549-7552 Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin

7553-7556 Me & Roboco

As you can see, every single manga has enough ID spots for 4 chapters in total (this weeks chapters included), except for Mitama Security and Bone Collection. So this means, Mitama Security only has one chapter left next week and Bone Collection has two chapters left after the one that released today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/i2ee7z/disc_time_paradox_ghostwriter_chapter_11/g04fj6n/.compact

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Boy Digimon
    Just throwing in Metal Greymon at episode 10 huh

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Seriously?

You don’t need to immediately go to the fireworks factory.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »

The final season of the anime is horrendous

Oh, it's over? I know there is another season I haven't seen, and people said the animation was bad, but I didn't realize it was the last one.

Hexmage-PA on
    Enlong wrote: »
    Seriously?

Is this re: digimon? They definitely seem to be cliff-notesing the original series a bit with the story beats.
    As you can see, every single manga has enough ID spots for 4 chapters in total (this weeks chapters included), except for Mitama Security and Bone Collection. So this means, Mitama Security only has one chapter left next week and Bone Collection has two chapters left after the one that released today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/i2ee7z/disc_time_paradox_ghostwriter_chapter_11/g04fj6n/.compact[/quote]

Interesting. Bone Collector had a little promise, but it squandered it basically right away.

Chainsawman seems like the king of Jump right now. I wonder if it gets animated if manga readers will have the advantage for certain scenes/episodes.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Seriously?

It seems like Omnimon style combining is gonna be the new endgame

Also this is all happening before we even meet patamon lol

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Oh my god, Cop and Dolphin this week had me in stitches.
    Dolphin on land.
    Little girl picking up dolphin on land.
    Little girl running on top of water with cop riding dolphin.

My sides hurt. The whole sequence was too good.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The only worthwhile part of Seven Deadly Sins was Escanor's fights.

edited August 2020
    Interesting. Bone Collector had a little promise, but it squandered it basically right away.

Chainsawman seems like the king of Jump right now. I wonder if it gets animated if manga readers will have the advantage for certain scenes/episodes.

Yeah, I liked Bone Collector, but it seems to be doing a hard pivot and it's falling flat.

It's Time Paradox Ghostwriter which is making me sad. I'm really intrigued, but it's doing poorly in rankings.

Chainsaw Man is the stand-out of the recently started stuff, but it's not like it's ranking first or anything. It's just getting a lot of attention this side of the ocean.

Here's the last couple weeks' ToC
    Shounen Jump Issue 35:

Boku no Hero Academia (Cover, Lead CP)
    Dr. Stone
    One Piece
    Act-Age (CP)
    Mashle (Extended Chapter)
    Boku to Roboko
    Ao no Hako (One-Shot, CP)
    Chainsaw-man (CP)
    Hakai-shin Magu-chan
    Undead Unluck
    Jujutsu Kaisen
    Ayakashi Triangle
    Black Clover
    Shakunetsu no Nirai Kanai
    Agravity Boys
    Shinrin Ouja Mori King
    Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
    Mitama Secu-Re-ty
    Yozakura-san Chi no Dai Sakusen
    Bone Collection
    Time Paradox Ghostwriter
    Shounen Jump Issue 33-34:

One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
    Dr. Stone
    Boku no Hero Academia
    Jujutsu Kaisen
    Ayakashi Triangle
    Chainsaw-man
    Boku to Roboko
    Undead Unluck
    Haikyuu!! (CP, End)
    Mitama Secu-Re-ty
    Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kouen-mae Hashutsujo (One-shot)
    Hakai-shin Magu-chan
    Gin Iro no Seven (One-shot, CP)
    Black Clover
    Mashle (CP)
    Act-Age
    Shinrin Ouja Mori King
    Time Paradox Ghostwriter
    Agravity Boys
    Bone Collection
    Haikyuu!! (Cover, Lead CP)
    Jujutsu Kaisen
    Mashle
    Boku to Roboko (CP)
    Chainsaw-man
    Hakai-shin Magu-chan
    Dr. Stone (CP)
    Shinrin Ouja Mori King (CP)
    Undead Unluck
    Act-Age
    Ayakashi Triangle
    Black Clover
    Time Paradox Ghostwriter
    Agravity Boys
    Hachinin Ninja no Saishuu Shiken (CP, One Shot)
    Bone Collection
    Mitama Secu-Re-ty

One Piece, Boku no Hero Academia (absent)
    Shounen Jump Issue 31:

Boku to Roboko (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
    One Piece
    Boku no Hero Academia
    Dr. Stone
    Shinrin Ouja Mori King
    Haikyuu!!
    Shakunetsu no Nirai Kanai (CP)
    Mashle
    Ayakashi Triangle
    Dokyuu Hentai H×Eros (CP, Special Chapter)
    Hakai-shin Magu-chan
    Act-Age (CP)
    Jujutsu Kaisen
    Black Clover
    Time Paradox Ghostwriter
    Undead Unluck
    Chainsaw-man
    Bone Collection
    Mitama Secu-Re-ty
    Agravity Boys
    Shounen Jump Issue 30:

Shakunetsu no Nirai Kanai (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
    Boku no Hero Academia
    Haikyuu!!
    Hakai-shin Magu-chan (CP)
    Act-Age
    Time Paradox Ghostwriter
    Dr. Stone (CP)
    Ayakashi Triangle
    Shinrin Ouja Mori King
    Mashle (CP)
    Bone Collection
    Jujutsu Kaisen
    Black Clover
    Undead Unluck
    Chainsaw-man
    Agravity Boys
    Mitama Secu-Re-ty
    Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai

It bounces around the middle, and has been towards the upper end of late, but the real anchors at the moment are One Piece (of course), MHA (unsurprisingly), and Dr. Stone.

Like, once the Gun Demon chapters are ranked it wouldn't surprise me for it to be briefly in the top 3/top slot. But it lacks the consistency you see of other series.

Jragghen on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Question about One Piece this week
    1. Did they just have a battle with dickbag the traitor offscreen?
    2. Did they just fucking kill Dickbag?
    3. What the hell happened that they were just suddenly on Kaido and pushing him off the stage

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Sword Art Online: What if a tryhard edgelord expertly abused every intricacy of an online game to get cool gear and become incredibly powerful, and everyone thought he was a dick?

Bofuri: What if an adorable idiot accidentally the whole dungeon and stumbled into broken skills and gear, and everyone thought it was just precious?

Don't forget the troubling misogyny in SOA!

• RaveRave Registered User regular
    Question about One Piece this week
    1. Did they just have a battle with dickbag the traitor offscreen?
    2. Did they just fucking kill Dickbag?
    3. What the hell happened that they were just suddenly on Kaido and pushing him off the stage
    1. Yes
    2. Doubtful
    3. The whole plan was to enter from the rear undetected, since that's where Kaido resides. Surprising Kaido before he has a chance. The plan worked to perfection, so far.

This discussion has been closed.