As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    That far better than the reason I returned to hell known to men and far better than I make here :(

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    EDIT: sorry

Commander Zoom on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    snipped

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    snipped

3cl1ps3 on
    right. I apologize.

What was all the edit posts about?

Work went totally to hell from the number of call outs and people not giving their all
    But there was a awesome loud Zeus/Thor was angry thunder storm last night

I snapped, was a jerk and said something I shouldn't. sorry (again).
    trying to be a better person.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    @Jedoc I've had that what you say song stuck in my head all day, so thanks for that

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got my warning signs printed out for my book carts and signs for the tables. I will get them laminated at school. Tomorrow I'm going in to start figuring out my library. This Fridax has gone for 149 days, though I don't count days without students as real work days so it will be 157 days a week after this.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Saw this and thought of this thread

8inqqh2auggz.jpg

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Saw this and thought of this thread

8inqqh2auggz.jpg

I count myself very lucky that I have never written code that I do not understand.

Note that I have rarely written efficient code; and there were times I was forced to implement code written by someone else that I did not understand, but no. I have never written helicopter pigeon code.

Then again, I haven't worked in the industry yet, so...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I've written beautiful, elegant, effective code for plenty of assignments.

That didn't work, and over the course of going over it, and over it, and changing and deleting and re-arranging and just taking a goddamn hatchet to the code I eventually realize, "oh, I'd missed a semi-colon. ... fuck. oh well, I'm not re-writing all that shit"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm out doing my usual weekend Ubering (all the more important now that my hours have been cut at my 9-to-5), and earlier I get a pretty decent request to drive someone across the city. Traffic is light, weather is good, been vibing all day, good passengers so far, this looks like just another ride to add to those good vibes.

Less than 30 seconds after I accept the request, I get a message from the passenger: "Hi, you're going to be picking up a package of breastmilk and delivering it to me."

Now I am not squicked out by breastmilk, so really it was NBD, but I have to say that was one of the top 5 most surprising messages to receive out of the blue from a passenger.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ‘Getting your breast milk delivered by Uber’ seems extremely now, culturally speaking

tynic wrote: »
    ‘Getting your breast milk delivered by Uber’ seems extremely now, culturally speaking

Well it was an Anti gay rant my not manager did {he was making fun of someone being Trans} I said tons of straight people are into gross and unsettling things and you rarely hear people decrying that

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You didn't report him to HR for hate speech?

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    You didn't report him to HR for hate speech?

Yes and sexist comments by him and someone else
    It went no where and the store manager asked why I reported him for that. This is one of the reasons I feel I work in a punishment store {as the managers they have and cycle out all the time are just horrible as they must have some redeeming quality to still keep them employed

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Why in the blue fuck did HR alert your manager about it? That's super against protocol. Only other HR staff should know who filed the complaint.

Why in the blue fuck did HR alert your manager about it? That's super against protocol. Only other HR staff should know who filed the complaint.

I have no idea
    I reported her last summer to ethics about making me wait 90 minutes to talk to her about the BS my not manager was doing to be off the clock
    there was only one line to check out so they open up what was the self check out I being last in line got in first in line as it was two steps
    He said get to the back of the line you work here I said I am a customer I am off the clock
    He threatened to write me up for that and did punish me by using the people under his sway later that week by trying to do a call out
    She waved me off saying I could only talk to her on the clock and she doesn't have the time to deal with personal problem both of us had with each other

So I reported her and another manager to Ethics I do not know what was said but both were upset I went to that as they told me

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

That's how it is supposed to work, yes. Are you surprised though? I've worked at places where you didn't tell HR shit, as they were as bad, or in bed, with management. Sometimes literally.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    I think we all know HR exists to protect the company and nobody else. They’ll protect managers for as long as it’s in the best interest of the business. Unless HR is fucking the boss which I have seen a lot of too lmao.

Anonymity is a tough one. The principle of natural justice that’s usually applied to HR grievances means the accused has a right to know the detail of the accusation. This level detail often means that the accused needs to know who has made the accusations.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Its my first day back at work after a month. When I last talked to the head nurse she did not tell me I needed to come see her but when I got to the gate they were like, "go see the nurse."

The nurse is not here yet I guess?

Off to a good start, glad to see organization is still our primary focus great work team.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I'm out doing my usual weekend Ubering (all the more important now that my hours have been cut at my 9-to-5), and earlier I get a pretty decent request to drive someone across the city. Traffic is light, weather is good, been vibing all day, good passengers so far, this looks like just another ride to add to those good vibes.

Less than 30 seconds after I accept the request, I get a message from the passenger: "Hi, you're going to be picking up a package of breastmilk and delivering it to me."

Now I am not squicked out by breastmilk, so really it was NBD, but I have to say that was one of the top 5 most surprising messages to receive out of the blue from a passenger.

I feel like I've seen this movie. The "breast milk" is actually drugs or nuclear codes or something. If your next fare looks like a disgraced secret agent with nothing left to lose, maybe clear your afternoon schedule before the pickup.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

I feel like I've seen this movie. The "breast milk" is actually drugs or nuclear codes or something. If your next fare looks like a disgraced secret agent with nothing left to lose, maybe clear your afternoon schedule before the pickup.

I know it's not at all like this but part of my brain loves the idea of the "Drive here, open the trunk. When you hear shave and a haircut knocked on the top of the car, drive to the other place. Park. Open the trunk at 3:53. Drive away at 3:58. If you deviate from these exact instructions (Stops, trunk opening etc) you will regret it." Just hell yeah 0 responsibility just do the thing and somehow wall myself off from the implications entirely, yeah let's go!

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

I know it's not at all like this but part of my brain loves the idea of the "Drive here, open the trunk. When you hear shave and a haircut knocked on the top of the car, drive to the other place. Park. Open the trunk at 3:53. Drive away at 3:58. If you deviate from these exact instructions (Stops, trunk opening etc) you will regret it." Just hell yeah 0 responsibility just do the thing and somehow wall myself off from the implications entirely, yeah let's go!

Reminds me of one of my favorite Atmosphere songs:

https://youtu.be/FbR9nmFNV28

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am at school. This is a complete and utter cluster fuck. I am at a complete loss on where to even start.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I am at school. This is a complete and utter cluster fuck. I am at a complete loss on where to even start.

Brofists. Vent to us later, we are the void that listens.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

start with the adds then open up on the boss

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Deep breath and try to carve out a corner of stability amigo. As Quantum said, vent to us when you have time, we shall suffer by proxy.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Gonna start using this to describe management and directorial positions

Next time a topologist pisses me off I’ll be like “Shut your ontological parasite you fucking toroid.”

Do you get angered by a lot of topologists?
    I don't know that I've ever spoken to a topologist, let alone gotten angry at one.

Work is just now nasty with the call outs and such
    I did both the yogurt wall and all of the 97 wall last night but the truck came late so I helped finish what I did not do yesterday and days failed to do

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Dogg do you have an escape plan?

Dogg do you have an escape plan?

Yes just the pandemic that happened at the start of getting back on my feet threw much of it into the unknown/chaos

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Huh, so in the mess of announcing the furloughs last week, at least 2 of our upper management also quit, one being my bosses boss which was apparently "heated" and a complete surprise.

So these next 2 weeks are going to be interesting.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
    Top top everything off, the chair in my office broke.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

Time to make a throne from books.

DrZiplock wrote: »

The books are quarantined.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Time to make a throne from the bones of your enemies.

DrZiplock on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Ms. Lohan had her first job interview for the fall - this one is her trying to switch from special ed to a regular ed classroom teacher. I'm hoping she gets it because she really wants to try to move out of special ed (she's burned out), and for us financially we need her pay to stay consistent, but I'm obviously worried about her going back into the outside world. I am super happy that the interview went well, it's been a while since she interviewed, and never via Zoom, so I'm happy it was a good experience.

In the world of my job, my furloughed teammates come back today and my replacement mouse arrives today as well. I'm probably far too excited to get a new mouse, I keep watching out the window hoping to see the UPS truck.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

This statement is wonderful in the worst sort of way.

Return the living children to school amidst a global pandemic because they must be educated.

Meanwhile, quarantine the books.

This discussion has been closed.