As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Oh. I was watching on the NBC site so I assumed it was them. Whoever it was did a bad job

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Seeing people lose their shit over Mathew Dumba's speech and demonstration is the sweet succour my black and twisted soul needed.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I thought someone in the thread said all the games in Edmonton are showing tsn feed and Toronto games are NBC, or did I have that backwards?

I'm which case I apologise and admit NBC is shit

So, the way it works is that there is one video being produced. Instead of each broadcaster having their own cameras and video production, there is a single video being produced, and every broadcaster around the world uses it. The video is a clean feed with no on screen graphics. This is how the Olympics works. NBC is producing the video in Toronto, and Sportsnet is producing the video in Edmonton.

In terms of announcers/on screen graphics, etc, the networks can use their own. NBC will probably use their own announcers and on screen graphics for every series except for maybe the Calgary/Winnipeg one. Sportsnet is only using their own announcers for series with Canadian teams, Sportsnet is carrying the NBC feed for US/US games.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I was kinda annoyed at this graphic when the announcers said Only Crosby and Malkin or Crosby marleau has more than Kane and toews.

Cause, obviously, that also means Malkin Marleau also had more. So I looked it up.

The only thing correct about this graphic is ovie/backstrom. Literally every other set of numbers is incorrect

Edit: also Crosby Letang are also in 4th place at 266 and Malkin Letang is 248, to round out the entire top 5 with only penguin players. Suck it

Joe Thornton and Logan couture = 234 pushing Kane and toews to 6th

Edit: I guess Kane and toews might have put up 2 points in the 6-4 win so I wouldn't have counted it

Burtletoy on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Meaningful hockey in August.

The ways seasons kept getting longer for years, they joked it would happen.

WHO IS JOKING NOW?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Ok, so I’ve been a bit behind. Elliotte Friedman looks like Mick Foley now.

Oh man, I see what you mean now....

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    "a little over the line with the cross check that catches Crosby in the face" is something NBC analyst just said

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Based on today, you can tell that the NHL doesn't really consider these play-in series the playoffs, because the refs are actually calling a bunch of penalties.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    Uhhh, what happens if one of those 12 noon games goes to like 4 OTs? Do they make a couple of pro teams wait for the field like a youth soccer team?

quovadis13 wrote: »
    Uhhh, what happens if one of those 12 noon games goes to like 4 OTs? Do they make a couple of pro teams wait for the field like a youth soccer team?

The NHL really isn't talking about it so we don't know for sure. But realistically, yes. In theory, the round robin games could maybe be moved back to dates when there are games 4 and 5 scheduled in all the playoff series that wont' all be played. Most of the round robin games are being played in the "middle" game of the day in each city, so the first game running long would affect them, but those games can't affect the late games.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Mother fucker

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Penguins one step closer to getting that first overall pick they so desperately need...

oldmanken wrote: »
    Penguins one step closer to getting that first overall pick they so desperately need...

They may have to fight the Oilers for it.

Oilers getting another first pick would be delicious.

It would make it worth losing the play-in round; watching the league lose it's shit. I mean we still wouldn't make the playoffs, as is tradition, so I'll take my joys where I can get them.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    I'm still kinda hoping that Montreal tank out and get that pick, as I think it's the 'nicest' storyline, and they actually could use Lafrienier.

It would kind of be hilarious for the Leafs to win the Cup this year.

At home in Toronto, but in front of no fans.

In a year where they couldn’t have a parade after.

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    God damn. Kadri scores with 0.1 left of game to go up 2-1. I’m on edge even in round robin games. It’s been too damn long.

This is driving me crazy. Not all the logos on the boards are green screen, so are they changing the logos between games? The logos for the PHL-BOS game are different from the TOR-CBJ game (for example)

God damn. Kadri scores with 0.1 left of game to go up 2-1. I’m on edge even in round robin games. It’s been too damn long.

It wasn't a goal, but ok.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I don’t know how much of it is physical and how much is digital but they’re definitely tailoring the ads on the boards for the “home” team’s market every game. There were some in the Arizona-Nashville game this morning that were very specifically for a Tennessee audience

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited August 2020
    Mugsley wrote: »
    This is driving me crazy. Not all the logos on the boards are green screen, so are they changing the logos between games? The logos for the PHL-BOS game are different from the TOR-CBJ game (for example)

Yes, they change them between games to fulfill sponsorship obligations. In that specific case the PHI/BOS game was an NBC game, so it gets the national advertisements for NBC. For the leafs/jackets game, as the designated home team the sponsorships for the Canadian national broadcasts are on the boards.

wunderbar on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I'd like to know your reasoning here. At 0:00.1, there was a blur of a puck that partially looked like it might have been above the line.
    It was called a goal at that moment.
    There was no incontrovertible evidence that the puck was not all the way past the line before the .1 second clicked off to zero. So the call on the ice stands. Good goal.
    Am I missing something?

Yes, they change them between games to fulfill sponsorship obligations. In that specific case the PHI/BOS game was an NBC game, so it gets the national advertisements for NBC. For the leafs/jackets game, as the designated home team the sponsorships for the Canadian national broadcasts are on the boards.

Ok so I'm not crazy. So is it just roll-on stickers I guess? I never cared enough in the past to figure out how they added the logos. I thought the logos were "permanent" enough to endure some abuse, versus just....I guess decals?

That's an awfully quick change out, unless there's more time between games than I realize.

chromdom wrote: »

I'd like to know your reasoning here. At 0:00.1, there was a blur of a puck that partially looked like it might have been above the line.
    There was no incontrovertible evidence that the puck was not all the way past the line before the .1 second clicked off to zero. So the call on the ice stands. Good goal.
    Am I missing something?

The NHL rule is that the puck has to be completely over the goal line, meaning you have to be able to see white between the puck and the goal line. The video at 0.1 second pretty clearly shows the puck still touching the goal line. the next available frame of video shows time being expired. So it should not be a goal.

Ok so I'm not crazy. So is it just roll-on stickers I guess? I never cared enough in the past to figure out how they added the logos. I thought the logos were "permanent" enough to endure some abuse, versus just....I guess decals?

That's an awfully quick change out, unless there's more time between games than I realize.

Yeah, it doesn’t need to happen very often, since you know during a regular-regular season, teams are all playing in their home rinks and the advertisements don’t often change. You’ll see sometimes if a game is nationally televised some of the board advertisements will be different, but that’s about it. But some teams may sell some of the panels as blocks of games and not a whole season, so an advertiser can buy a board panel for 10 games. that’s less common, but I think it does happen. The most common one you’ll see that changes is in the corners for national broadasts. Sportsnet national games in Canada will have a SN logo in one corner, and NBC/NBCSN games in the US will have the NBC logo. For the Stanley Cup Final, SN in one corner, NBC in the other.

The future basically is in green screen ads though. For the World Cup of Hockey in 2016 they tried some newfangled technology which turned the far side boards basically into greenscreen, so there were dynamic ads that changed on the TV broadcast. It was the normal ads for the close camera angles and for the people in the arena, but for the standard camera view we see while watching a game, the ads were super-imposed onto the boards for TV. I’m actually surprised that the league hasn’t done more of that, especially on national TV broadcasts, but I bet the technology is harder/more expensive.

I know they also use similar tech to place ads on the glass behind each goalie; at least they did during the regular season. It doesn't seem like they're using that for this setup.

chromdom wrote: »

Am I missing something?

The NHL rule is that the puck has to be completely over the goal line, meaning you have to be able to see white between the puck and the goal line. The video at 0.1 second pretty clearly shows the puck still touching the goal line. the next available frame of video shows time being expired. So it should not be a goal.
    The angle the broadcasts have access to is not directly above the goal line and for some ungodly reason they don’t have access to all the same angles as the review offices in Toronto.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    lol the Oilers have a dedicated hat thrower

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited August 2020
    xi3gxtswbbyz.png
    And it's gone up another $60,000 while I wrote this post

Edit: To clarify, winner takes home half of the final amount. The final jackpot from Monday's game was $3,259,445, with the prize winner being awarded $1,629,722.50

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    And my favourite radio station summed it up nicely :lol:

hyjtq2og29kq.png

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I gotta say, watching some of the late afternoon games, that having multiple games each day on the same ice is pretty noticeable. Pucks seem to be taking a lot more weird bounces than I'm used to seeing.

I get why they're doing it and the bubble method seems to be holding up a lot better than the MLB's strategy of "fuck it, let everybody get the plague", but I gotta wonder if there aren't other rinks in the bubble cities that can host games as well.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    From what I gather it's not the availability of rinks, but the availability of rinks that can support the broadcast equipment and crew. They are using a rink in the deep south west of the city for a practice rink.

Also introducing more rinks in more communities makes it less of a bubble.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    It will lighten up next round and even more the further they go though. Only this play in round will have a major “youth tournament” feel to it.

Ok, this is hilarious. Nice troll from the Jerks.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I also wonder if the time of year is something that is still being dialed in -- I don't really think ambient temp is much of a factor, more like I wonder if the normal ice setting needs just a little bit of tinkering on top of everything else.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    My understanding is that humidity matters more than temperature.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Michael Ferland has had to leave the bubble and go home to Manitoba. He keeps coming back from concussion problems and getting into fights. I hope for his sake he's ok, but it really seems like he needs to stay off the ice permanently.

:so_raven:
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Ryan Hartman is really a rat eh?

:so_raven:
This discussion has been closed.