As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

#pipe is no longer appeased [YouTube/Internet Videos]

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

The only way you could possibly think that was true is if you've either never had any kind of even vaguely decent charcuterie, or if you've never had lunchables

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    no it's true it's just crackers and cheese and meat discs

I ate some lunchables today, it was fine

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I mean I'm not sure about lunchables today but I'm suspicious about there being actual meat in those slippery "ham" discs.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

The only way you could possibly think that was true is if you've either never had any kind of even vaguely decent charcuterie, or if you've never had lunchables

I mean it is pretty much the same thing on opposite sides of a quality scale

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I just want to see a K-12 lunchroom with one or more microwaves that wouldn't immediately get ruined or otherwise rendered unusable by children/teenagers just being the fucking worst.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I mean I'm not sure about lunchables today but I'm suspicious about there being actual meat in those slippery "ham" discs.

They actually make fancier ones these days that look like little charcuterie plates.

ssd79mazpbik.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I used to microwave the pizzas as a child when I was at home, it was a fun little project. At some point I definitely stopped, though

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So I'm watching that Stream that Dan did yesterday where he played Mario 64 and people fucked with him (on Twitch?). They REALLY like fucking with him. How much would he make on a stream like that?

webguy20 on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

I mean it is pretty much the same thing on opposite sides of a quality scale

right but the quality is the difference, not aesthetics

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    also lunchables are incredibly bland despite being loaded with sodium

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Don't forget all the sugar they cram into it as well.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    My God, about 25 minutes in someone buys a "Mario Screams" for 90 seconds. This is hell.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

They actually make fancier ones these days that look like little charcuterie plates.

ssd79mazpbik.jpg

Ironically if I wanted this I could just buy all the ingredients and make my own plates.

But if you want Lunchables you have to buy Lunchables, because that's the only place you're gonna find that unique flavor of low-quality "meat"

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the nutritional value of lunchables is not similar to the nutritional value of food the rich eat.

In fact I'm going to make the wild statement that a lot of money has been made feeding the poor cheap garbage disguised as fresh food at a markup that can only be explained by "this is literally wood pulp."

Perhaps the most egregious example I noticed when I was working as an in-store demo associate (AKA free samples guy) was that Kraft trademarked the term REAL Cheese. Thus they can get away with saying they use Real™ Cheese.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I've never liked cold cuts so I never ate lunchables basically ever in my life
    I don't want cold meat, and I don't want cold unmelted cheese, so a lunchable is basically worthless to me

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the nutritional value of lunchables is not similar to the nutritional value of food the rich eat.

In fact I'm going to make the wild statement that a lot of money has been made feeding the poor cheap garbage disguised as fresh food at a markup that can only be explained by "this is literally wood pulp."

Perhaps the most egregious example I noticed when I was working as an in-store demo associate (AKA free samples guy) was that Kraft trademarked the term REAL Cheese. Thus they can get away with saying they use Real™ Cheese.

There is a difference between "not the same ingredients" and "not the same nutritional value". Like, fat, carbs, sugars, protein, etc. are all the same building blocks whether it's Wagyu beef or spam (probably a big sodium difference there, though). Reel Cheeze and Cheese probably have pretty similar nutritional profiles. Cheap vegetable oil spread is similar to butter but less calorically dense.

It's possible preservatives have some effect, and being rich makes it easier to eat healthy and spend the effort on doing so, but like... food can just be shitty and salt loaded and not actually the marketed ingredients without also being like, not actually food.

I ate an engineer
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Man,

this is fucked.

https://youtu.be/cTCQw5JNquY

I literally watched someone drop 3k on the crates he mentioned like, last week
    Update the head moderator is a pedophile

Maybe dont let your kid play minecraft public servers

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I guess my main question is Lunchables even cheap poor food?
    Like growing up poor I never ate name brand anything. It seems like expensive bad food. The idea of having a boxed lunch from the grocery everyday seems wild. Let me look this up.

Walmart is selling them at $1.48. I guess that's cheaper than my initial expectation, but it seems way worse than public school, cafeteria lunch, which is likely around the same price point with inflation. I know that varies with schools and districts tho, and if you are on reduced lunch, the cafeteria food is likely even cheaper.

VayBJ4e.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the time saved might make it worthwhile for busy working parents, but yeah, when I was growing up they were primarily a thing of rich kids

I guess my main question is Lunchables even cheap poor food?
    Like growing up poor I never ate name brand anything. It seems like expensive bad food. The idea of having a boxed lunch from the grocery everyday seems wild. Let me look this up.

Walmart is selling them at $1.48. I guess that's cheaper than my initial expectation, but it seems way worse than public school, cafeteria lunch, which is likely around the same price point with inflation. I know that varies with schools and districts tho, and if you are on reduced lunch, the cafeteria food is likely even cheaper.

Gotta have a cafeteria to have cafeteria food! Growing up through gradeschool I probably had lunchables and a piece of fruit twice a week, and sandwiches the other three. Mostly Tuna. Goddamn did I love Tuna growing up. Add some ruffles to that and you have yourself a meal.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I ate tuna nearly everyday for lunch 10-12 grades I get out both it and Cheetos I could not eat for years afterwards

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I ate some lunchables today, it was fine

pretty sure I saw that written on a tombstone once

iwantanswers3.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Rewatching Doom Patrol season one in prep for diving into season two now that a number of episodes are out. On Danny Patrol, and dammit, I know what's coming in this scene everytime. But I have like a futile hope everytime that Larry is actually singing and that the ending isn't coming, and then it does and I bawl.

Doom Patrol needs all the awards.

https://youtu.be/1vojrVQeOYI

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Rewatching Doom Patrol season one in prep for diving into season two now that a number of episodes are out. On Danny Patrol, and dammit, I know what's coming in this scene everytime. But I have like a futile hope everytime that Larry is actually singing and that the ending isn't coming, and then it does and I bawl.

Doom Patrol needs all the awards.
    Doom Patrol is so good. Also, almost every episode reminds me how, while they brought the genre to the mainstream, the Marvel movies are still incredibly toned down compared to actual comic books. Doom Patrol just commits to the weird and it's a delight.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    One of my few subscribed youtubers is Dave MacLeod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox7iU5DjQ9U

Dave MacLeod is a quiet Scottish fella who lives in the Glen Nevis and goes climbing all the time. He's a fantastic climber in near all disciplines (bouldering, sport, trad, mixed, ice, free solo, big wall...) and indeed he can claim to have made the hardest single pitch free solo ascent of anyone in the world (Dixit Dominus, Margaluf, 8c I believe). I love his channel because; great footage, especially of the Scottish highlands where he lives, great advice from someone who tries really hard to pass on good, knowledgeable information about how to improve, but also because he is incredibly open and honest about himself and his personal experiences, things he has struggled with mentally and physically, and how he deals with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjZYLkP-U4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPi41bSrFdI

As well as a lot of fantastic vlogs about local climbers he knows in Glen Nevis, and other such things. One thing I love about him as well, is that he's got something for everyone. He will tell you about things that are useful when you've never been outside climbing at all, and things that are useful when you are a hard climbing route completionist. He also does loads of work with youth groups in deprived areas and it's fair to say he's just a lovely bloke with a small but really high quality youtube channel that I personally watch every video on.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Eating lunchables is better than being dead

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    If being dead is so bad then why have i not heard any complaints from them

I complain a lot

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Being dead on the inside is only being mostly dead.

Hooch ain't interested

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Boney M fucking rules!!

https://youtu.be/SYnVYJDxu2Q

icGJy2C.png
This discussion has been closed.