As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Giantbomb's content has been pretty sparse as of late, in terms of quality. Anyone else agree? I hope now that they've settled into this structure into 2021 (but likely into 2022 given current U.S. *gestures everywhere*) that the quality increases, and scheduling is such that the majority of their videos are multiple people.

The draw for Giantbomb has been strong personalities that interacted with each other, and we're on third-gen with hires, so let's amp that chemistry.

The few winners currently:
    Hotspot
    Astroneers
    Mass Effect
    Beastcast
    Hotspot
    Deep Rock Galactic
    maybe Minecraft

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    My fantasy content would be an upcoming Quick Look for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator with Drew as a special guest appearance

edit: along with Vinny giving terrible advice

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    It's been a little rough for sure but they're limited by the equipment available at home and game releases.
    They've always excelled at screwing around with the studio equipment and having lag-free conversations.

Check out the Sea Beasts that has picture in picture hosted by Vinny. Even though the rest of the crew was tiny, I liked it better than a single player.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Bloodbourne Legacy has been pretty good. It's been fun watching Jan get into and come to terms with his first Souls game. And I've really been enjoying the Minecraft stuff. I usually watch Jeff and Vinny's streams for it, and sometimes Jan's. And the Bombcast/Beastcast/Aftershow/Hotspot have all been good. The only thing I'm really missing is Ranking of Fighters and obviously the E3 stuff we missed out on. Though they've been doing a good job of the "talk over press conference" type things for the streams companies have been putting out, and I've enjoyed those.

Also enjoyed the Astroneer stuff with Brad/Vinny. That game is like, right up both their alleys.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I watch the majority if the stuff they've been doing. I won't always watch live, but i've usually got a few videos left to go through once it gets to the weekend. Minecraft, Hotspot, Jeff @Home, Alex Drumming, Beastcast, Mario Galaxy, Sea Beasts, Mass Alex, Bombcast, Alex Trucking, Jan Bloodborne. Astroneer has finished so we'll see what takes that one's place. Plus or minus whatever other games they try for one-offs or new series.

It's honestly more than what I would watch back in the before times.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I usually skip around the drum streams until I hear a song that sounds good, or has an interesting drum pattern. I stop for the Alex Q+A sessions.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I usually skip around the drum streams until I hear a song that sounds good, or has an interesting drum pattern. I stop for the Alex Q+A sessions.

I loved the 80s list and the songs he hates list the best.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    The foreign music one was really fun. I can't believe Alex buys basically every single DLC. I guess it's cheaper than coffee, but still.

steam_sig.png

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The foreign music one was really fun. I can't believe Alex buys basically every single DLC. I guess it's cheaper than coffee, but still.

He basically got a years worth for free because John Drake gave him a mount of $2 point cards.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Giantbomb's content has been pretty sparse as of late, in terms of quality. Anyone else agree? I hope now that they've settled into this structure into 2021 (but likely into 2022 given current U.S. *gestures everywhere*) that the quality increases, and scheduling is such that the majority of their videos are multiple people.

The draw for Giantbomb has been strong personalities that interacted with each other, and we're on third-gen with hires, so let's amp that chemistry.

The few winners currently:
    Hotspot
    Astroneers
    Mass Effect
    Beastcast
    Hotspot
    Deep Rock Galactic
    maybe Minecraft

The quantity definitely went up for sure. Keep in mind this is taking a toll on them too and I'm super appreciative of the effort they are putting in. It's not really a negative for me personally, but I get what you mean.

I definitely feel like there's at least something daily I want to tune in for as 'must watch' on the regular except for mondays. It seemed like even with best of's, they slowed down to 1ce a month instead of every two weeks. I kind of figured maybe budget wise they couldnt contract that many videos as often? But I'm reading too much into it, theres just too much content to go through probably. Honestly the increase in quantity if I had to read too much into it, is just giving people hours to work by streaming. I'm betting meetings/production stuff time wise dropped(what does jason/jan/abby do if they arent setting up content logistics and studios?).

The premium is still well worth it, so I am not worried about this period where maybe they are still finding a groove. And as long as we get a vaccine that is mass producible which seems very likely, this isnt going to go into 2022.

steam_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I feel somewhat guilty because I’ve enjoyed the COVID-19-era content a lot more than other offerings in the past few years.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I feel somewhat guilty because I’ve enjoyed the COVID-19-era content a lot more than other offerings in the past few years.

Circumstances have allowed for more cross coast content.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yeah the TLOU spoilercast was pretty good, and it had 3 of my favorites on so that is a big part of it.

Anyone who says they understand the story in Bloodborne is a liar.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    What's hard to understand?

uyvfOQy.png
    The main obstacle, and all the souls games do this to some extent, is that it's not telling a story. It's slowly showing lore to you. It gives you a glimpse into the history of the world and how it got to this point, but the explanation for why your character is doing these things now is little more than "because you the player want to play this fun game and this is the content."

Strangely Bloodborne is probably the most specific about what you're doing and why, and has a relatively straightforward set of events for you to learn about.

uyvfOQy.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Strangely Bloodborne is probably the most specific about what you're doing and why, and has a relatively straightforward set of events for you to learn about.

Well if we count Sekiro, then that's the most explicit, no question

But I kind of don't count Sekiro? It's a From game, it's not a Souls game

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    It's a Tenchu game.

uyvfOQy.png
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I also find it hard to believe someone could have more than a vague understanding of what was going on as you play through Bloodborne for the first time without watching YouTube vids

but that's also kind of the point and amps up the creepiness a ton, so it's not a problem

like did anyone kill Mergos Wet Nurse and think 'I know exactly what is happening'

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Well, at least Drew found somewhere to go:

Aistan wrote: »
    Anyone who says they understand the story in Bloodborne is a liar.

I do not think it’s dealing with a traditional linear narrative but there is definitely a story.

https://youtu.be/wjWOy6ioVHI

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I've been mostly happy with GB content.

My favorite stuff is with multiple people sure.
    But in 2019, that mostly meant:
    The podcasts, which have increased By adding Hotspot,
    UPF which got turned into Minecraft and may now turn into something else, and UPF always was a background stream for me unless something special was happening
    Playdates, which I do miss because the Eastcrew picked things more fun to watch
    Occasional great features like Gametapes (Those tapes probably are not accessible at the moment)
    E3 week, my favorite week of GB, gone

The amount of QLs has decreased but my way of discovering games changed too and so I seldomly learn about a new game anymore through them.

I'd love it if they could lean into their access to industry veterans a bit. Those stories are part of what makes GB special, they are the "dinosaurs" that have seen 5 controle generations. And Jeff is a good interviewer.

On another note, Vinny is without electricity possibly for days.
    I'm going to be positive and look forward to the Beastcast where he tells what Prepper plans worked and failed.....

Another another note, they're planning Fall Guys stuff for tomorrow night.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I just remembered that Jan only did one part of Jan in the Sky with Trails. I hope he ends up continuing that once he's done with Bloodbourne (which he might be, I'm still catching up).

Stabbity_Style.png
    He did open up Trails of Cold Steel very briefly right after he beat Bloodborne, but didn't start a new game due to scheduling mix-ups. So it is on his mind at least, yeah.

Was that the one where Jan read every line, and it took forever?

steam_sig.png

SteevL wrote: »
    Well, at least Drew found somewhere to go:

I had to look it up, but I guess Drew is going to be working with Frank Cifaldi and Mike Mika, two friends of the site? He says he will be a "producer", but I'm not sure of what. Though DE/OO does a lot of archives for games, so if they want Drew to do some documentary stuff for them, it would make sense.

steam_sig.png

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    It's a Tenchu game.

Nah, Sekiro is good

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Was that the one where Jan read every line, and it took forever?

Yeah. I dunno if he'll keep doing it. I'd be fine just watching him play it without doing that.

Stabbity_Style.png
    I think quick looks were already on their way out. Games sell themselves now, or are completely inscrutible with 2 hours to show them(destiny/warframe/major strategy games/ live games or GaaS) and theres a lot of saturation if you want to see someone play the game and get a feel for it and brief opinions. I'd prefer if they added another UPF like show per week and just had multiple 30 minute segments on whatever games and talk about them.

steam_sig.png
    I didn't watch him play Trails in the Sky because it is a bad game that I hate.

He shouldn't play Cold Steel though, even though it's great. Not for a stream. It would be interminable.

Aistan wrote: »
    I didn't watch him play Trails in the Sky because it is a bad game that I hate.

He shouldn't play Cold Steel though, even though it's great. Not for a stream. It would be interminable.

Trails in the Sky is so good <3 God I love that game.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    It's a Tenchu game.
    Nah, Sekiro is good
    TIL that Sekiro literally started off as a Tenchu game.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Huh, had not heard about the hurricane on the east coast. Everyone is ok but some wild weather by Jeff B.

Abby's contribution to Jeff's Minecraft art is perfect

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Huh, had not heard about the hurricane on the east coast. Everyone is ok but some wild weather by Jeff B.

Florida resident Jeff Bakalar seeing some harsher weather isn't that surprising I guess.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited August 2020
    Today marked the first time two of my favorite gaming focused things completely crossed over. Nick Wiger has been brought up by Jeff Gerstmann and Ben Pack before on the Bombcast and Aftershow and now in episode 60 of How Did This Get Played? (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with Shaun DIston and Scott Aukerman) co host Heather Ann Campbell brought up an article of the NES TMNT and its PC port by Patrick Klepek during the Maybe We're Wrong? segment.

"I am pulling from a Kutaku article written in 2016 by 'Patrick Klepek' which says 'TMNT on the NES was infamous for being super hard, for many the game unbeatable. On the PC though that was actually true. The PC port of Ninja Turtles, the DOS one specifically, was weird for a few reasons. The sound was terrible, it didn't look good, and playing with a keyboard sucked. Worst, the programmers modified one of the levels, shifted the geometry over, and made a key jump impossible. As a result, you literally could not beat the game.'"

Rehab on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I remember reading that article and feeling vindicated that I could never make the jump.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Fuck that gap you had to walk over and not jump for the first van missiles.

steam_sig.png
    Saw something in my YouTube suggestions related to Mario Party Partying and its lead to me revisiting my favorite feature on the site. Its truly a roller coaster of emotions, not unlike this goddamn hell year which despite everything, has managed to have its ups.

But mostly this.

k33rdgtyx00h.jpg

This discussion has been closed.