As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E Discussion] This is the way 5E ends. Not with a bang but a gnome mindflayer.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Gentlemen, you can't fight(er) in here, this is the war (wizard) room

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Is part of the thing going on here some new-to-me norm in latter-days D&D where wizards get to scribe whatever they want into their spell book because the player can gain knowledge of that spell by reading the PHB, etc.? I feel like that’s now how Vancian magic is meant to be balanced. Maybe the distinction here is roll vs. role, theorycrafting vs. as-she-is-played, or whatever, but: every town your murderhobo band sleeps in will have or can make you a greataxe, while Leomund’s Tiny Hut might be something literally only available by plundering the notes and scrolls of Leomund, The.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Is part of the thing going on here some new-to-me norm in latter-days D&D where wizards get to scribe whatever they want into their spell book because the player can gain knowledge of that spell by reading the PHB, etc.? I feel like that’s now how Vancian magic is meant to be balanced. Maybe the distinction here is roll vs. role, theorycrafting vs. as-she-is-played, or whatever, but: every town your murderhobo band sleeps in will have or can make you a greataxe, while Leomund’s Tiny Hut might be something literally only available by plundering the notes and scrolls of Leomund, The.

Yea 5e allows for wizards to learn two spells up to their spellcasting level every time they level up for free, outside of the scribing scroll process.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    And they have done so since at least 3e. In 2e they could, by RAW design their own spells

wbBv3fj.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Though really this is because Wizard/Sorceror are the real subclasses of magic user, and the wizard subclasses are more minor choices like Battlemaster manoeuvres.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    And Now for me to toss out another NPC I came up with a while back, as described by Asmodeus' newest spymaster...

My lord.

Amongst the first tasks that I set for myself after ensuring my predecessors network understood I was in charge and would brook no insolence, I began delving into past reports to see what insights I could glean that he could not, and amidst the reports I found a name that kept being mentioned in passing, though more frequently as time has gone on.

Seraphina.

These reports provided little insight into this individual and I can thus see how it would have been overlooked, but when I went back to look over any notes we might have had about them there was a derth of information and so I set about discerning their identity beyond clearly being an angel. Mostly it was out of curiousity and to test out Ba'ator's speed, efficiency and capability. I expected little, since clearly we would have proper notes if they were in fact anyone of real influence or power and celestials are as blunt as they are sanctimonious.

My initial assessment seemed accurate as I looked into this individual; she was a deva and one who had dedicated herself to a virtue though unlike the angels who we typically deal with her's wasn't justice, valor or sacrifice. No, she was a kindness deva, and that meant that she likely spent most of her time tending to the feeble or listening to mortals prattle on about their feelings or some other pathetic waste of time. Also, she'd apparently been doing this for an inordinately long ammount of time; deva's typically ascend to become planetar's by the time they've been around as long as Seraphina apparently has been.

Still though, her name kept turning up so I continued to dig and the more I learned the more disturbing this became.

For starters, her understanding of mortal society is signifigant. She's spent thousands of years watching various races live their lives and even incarnated as a mortal with no knowledge of her celestial origin on multiple occasions. What she did during these time periods she alone knows, but the simple act of doing so would leave her staggeringly vulnerable; had something managed to snag her soul she would be lost to her fellow angels. Still, she apparently did this several times.

This behavior appears to have helped to facilitate a new strategem by mount celestia however with two prongs: Aasimar and Warlocks.

We've known of Aasimar for ages; they're the result of celestial beings succumbing to the desires of the loins and rutting about with mortals and little hints of their power cropping up in them over the course of generations. These beings would flit about and while having some hint of celestial power they weren't especially more moral then other mortals of their species and I've had more then a few happily sell their souls for the simplest things. That having been said, there appears to be a whole new breed of Aasimar that are about and they've proven to be considerably more resilient then their predecesors both in terms of ability and also their morality; these ones apparently recieve guidance from a given angel. Further, these indivduals are selected at birth as opposed to via the randomness of mortal libido's.

The other is a crop of "celestial warlocks". I'll give you a moment to laugh before continuing. These warlocks are like our own (if less concerned with destruction then preservation) in that they grant powers to people who want it badly enough to make a deal. The catch however, is that unlike our warlocks, these ones don't face the same stigmatisms from the mortal races due to the "benevolent" nature of angels or some such tash. Further (just like our warlocks) the relative morality of the individual is a moot point as long as whatever terms of their deal is met.

Much of this seems to have been tied to seraphina and her understanding of mortals and how to turn them into a sort of unwitting network of agents.

A network that wound up clashing with progressively more and more as I dug into seraphina's background. While at first I had assumed them to be relatively harmless, the simple fact is that seraphina has managed to empower a plethora of aasimar and warlocks, many of whom have proven incredibly formidable and attatched to clergy, adventurers and even nobility. When I moved against one of her more powerful paladins in force I suddenly found my own forces assaulted by demonic hosts and perfidious yugoloths and agents in both the abyss and Gehenna were lost in droves jeopardizing countless other projects with them having been apparently outed by seraphina's other agents forcing me to call off the attack.

Simply put, this is a Deva that can punch well above her weight class, and whom we need to eliminate as quickly as possible.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Stupid idea - is a Sorcerer subclass that essentially functions as a warlock-lite feasible? Story-wise, your parent is a Patron. How warlock-y could you add onto the subclass without it overshadowing both the Sorcerer and the Warlock? I know that the sorlock is a famous multiclass build, but it is a multiclass.

- the usual exclusive spells for your origins
    - one Pact Magic spell slot at a slightly slower progression than warlock spell slot level progression (one level lower)
    - new invocation at 1st, 5th, 9th, and 15th levels (level requirements still needed).

Not sure what can be put into 6th or 14th that isn't just something taken from the Warlock playbook. Your dad's cantrip of choice gets Cha bonus a la Agonizing Blast? Convert your Pact Magic slot to spell slots / sorcery points? Free metamagic depending on parent? Pact Boon?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Stupid idea - is a Sorcerer subclass that essentially functions as a warlock-lite feasible? Story-wise, your parent is a Patron. How warlock-y could you add onto the subclass without it overshadowing both the Sorcerer and the Warlock? I know that the sorlock is a famous multiclass build, but it is a multiclass.

- one Pact Magic spell slot at a slightly slower progression than warlock spell slot level progression (one level lower)
    - new invocation at 1st, 5th, 9th, and 15th levels (level requirements still needed).

Not sure what can be put into 6th or 14th that isn't just something taken from the Warlock playbook. Your dad's cantrip of choice gets Cha bonus a la Agonizing Blast? Convert your Pact Magic slot to spell slots / sorcery points? Free metamagic depending on parent? Pact Boon?

You could maybe screw around with using Invocations as Metamagic options. I'd probably just leave sorcerer spellcasting as is and not give them warlock spell slots at all. The Patron could be reworked into an Origin, but the Pact probably wouldn't be a thing at that point (or, again, could be a metamagic option that costs permanent sorcery points).

Like, if you want something in between a Sorcerer and a Warlock, I think the most straightforward way would be to drop Metamagic and sorcery points, give them Invocations, and rework Patrons into Origins.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So flip it into a Warlock subclass with fullcaster spell levels instead of a Sorcerer subclass with Invocations? Or are you talking about a whole new class in between the two?

Either way it's plenty food for thought.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

You could maybe screw around with using Invocations as Metamagic options. I'd probably just leave sorcerer spellcasting as is and not give them warlock spell slots at all. The Patron could be reworked into an Origin, but the Pact probably wouldn't be a thing at that point (or, again, could be a metamagic option that costs permanent sorcery points).

Like, if you want something in between a Sorcerer and a Warlock, I think the most straightforward way would be to drop Metamagic and sorcery points, give them Invocations, and rework Patrons into Origins.

So flip it into a Warlock subclass with fullcaster spell levels instead of a Sorcerer subclass with Invocations? Or are you talking about a whole new class in between the two?

Either way it's plenty food for thought.

Definitely a Sorcerer Origin, not a Warlock subclass. You could have it gain Invocations instead of Font of Power/Metamagic, as part of its Origin features. You could maybe work out the most "iconic" Warlock spells to make part of the spell list (or borrow from the Patron lists from the Warlock class), or you could just give Eldritch Blast and otherwise just have them gain features to make them more "Warlock-y"

I definitely think it'd be easier to graft a Warlock Patron onto the Sorcerer class, rather than other way around. Sorcerers want spell progression, they're primary casters, and trying to add that to a Warlock is gonna throw it way off really quick, imo.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I mean you could rock it kinda like a divine soul and give em access to the warlock spell list and pick a patron affinity to give access to a specific spell from that patrons spells that doesn't count against spells known. I could definitely see level 1 being access to the warlock spell list, and an invocation or two. Level 6 you could bring in the chain, blade, or tome decision, but it almost seems less apt because you're not actually forming a pact, an idea might be to grab the 6th level ability of whatever patron affinity you chose at 1. Similar for 14th level. 18th level put all your sorcery points on a short rest instead of long rest. Though a number of the patrons are redundant with sorcerous origins.

Sleep on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    To prep for the end of the short campaign I'm running, I ran a battle beforehand of the two opposing forces of a sorceress and four erinyes taking on an ancient white dragon. In an optimal fight for the devils, they spread out in a large cavern and pelted the dragon with arrows. It was able to deal a ton of damage, taking down one, but a good turn for the devil's leader had her score three hits for 80+ damage. This was after I cheated a bit and maximized its HP. It's the expected result, but the remaining forces are a bit too much for the players to take on, so I may say a different thing happened - I'll probably have the dragon get a guaranteed breath weapon refresh, or have it fight out of the open. The devils are also going to be split up beforehand, and the dragon could easily take on two of them and survive.

Now that I know how to narrate the fight, it will just happen at some point after the players enter the dragon's lair, possibly even in the background if they decide to wait and see. It really excites me to think of what they'll do. Will they team up with the devils? Team up with the dragon? Just try to steal the treasure while everyone isn't looking? Charm the dragon? Who knows!

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Well, just had my very first session with Mini-Dead yesterday! It started off shaky but ended up much better!

Her: A halfling druid from the circle of the spores (changed to the circle of the hives for flavor, with additional thematic changes being made to fit her theme) named CeeCee BeeBee!

CeeCee BeeBee has been sent to the nearby human village to investigate just why the circle's bees have been mysteriously disappearing! Along the way, she meets Jerand, the Bronze Dragonborn Barbarian (played by Mrs. Undead), who is looking to prove herself to her Tribe by investigating a strange magical disturbance her tribe's shamans have detected. They discuss their respective missions at the local tavern, the Bubbling Brew Inn (which is famous for the giant, 8-foot tall cauldron of "bubbling brew" which dominates the center of the establishment). While listening to the locals, they discover that other mysterious animal disappearances have been taking place. When Jerand asks the locals if they know about any magic that might be responsible, the locals dismiss her and tell her than if she wants to talk about magic, she can talk to the local kook and leave them alone. However, before Jerand and CeeCee can formulate a plan, they are interrupted by a desperate scream!

They run outside and witness a distressed mother begging the local guards for help, as her infant child has been kidnapped by nasty kobolds! CeeCee and Jerand offer to help the distraught mother, who leads them to her home. From there, they are able to track the Kobolds to their fetid burrow.

Upon finding the burrow, CeeCee expertly sneaks in (she rolled an 18 + 3 for stealth!) and summons her swarm of bees to flush the nasty creatures out! As they run outside, they are set upon by the fierce Jerand, who cuts two of them down! The remaining Kobolds get a few hits in, making Jerand and CeeCee sweat a bit, but CeeCee is too wily for them, as she continuously dashes between hills and successfully hides away, keeping herself out of the kobolds' sights! When she senses an opportunity, she throws out a dart, hitting a kobold right in the neck, dispatching it immediately (she rolled a 4 + 3 on damage, against a kobold's 5 hp). The final kobold, fearing for its life, makes a mad escape. Jerand attempts to stop it from getting away using her longbow, but unfortunately misses, allowing the creature to get away.

The day is saved! But many mysteries remain! There hasn't been a Kobold attack in this area in ages, why did they now suddenly attack? What is behind these animal disappearances? Could it be related to the magic spoken of by the Shamans of Jerand's tribe? Who is this mysterious "Kook" the locals are talking about?

Find out next time on DragonBee Z!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    one of my players in curse of strahd is a vistani, and she convinced the abbot to leave barovia with her to convince her he was right via communion with the morning lord, she rolled a nat 20 so I'm like

sure lets take this fucker off the rails

She said "you told me that I know about waterdeep right? can I go there?

I had her roll to see how close she gets to waterdeep, another natural 20 (wat) when she takes her wagon out of the mists

the abbot communioned with his boss, and then tore his own eyes out while weeping blood as the feathers fell off his wings and she's like "oh okay, yeah thats great, I'm going to leave him to his revelations and go to the spires of the morning."

so the next hours is spent with her talking to high priestess talastin of the spires of the morning, a dark elf who blinded herself by staring at the sun for her new faith, and then she spent the night in one of high priestess talastin's spare bedrooms(who had the angel brought to the spires of the morning, where he's been catatonic since then)

I had high priestess talastin's associate show up mid day, zardoz zord, who revealed himself to the vistana to be a drow named Jarlaxle. After a long time negotiating and her giving some pretty tempting offers, I said to myself "What the hell, we've already run REGULAR curse of strahd, lets fuck shit up" and Jarlaxle agreed to return to Barovia with her, convinced that they had this whole "Strahd" thing figured out, he brought a half dozen wizards, a priestess, and assassins with him and went with her back to Barovia with the abbot, who had stopped communicating but did nod that he would help her

She also wanted to sleep with Jarlaxle and go shopping in Barovia and I asked her to get with me after game for the shopping, since we wouldnt have time for her to make use of anything she bought anyway, and informed her that before she could say anything Jarlaxle had waved his cloak and where he sat, there was a mannequin wearing all his clothes, and he was laying in the bed across the room with a strategically placed sheet and faded to black

The next day they returned to Krezk, the abbot, now blind, slowly walking back up to the abbey, stopping to heal some sick villagers

And Jarlaxle and his drow piled out of her wagon and quickly made a deal with the burgomaster to help out Krezk, before tossing down an Instant Fortress (fully furnished!) and unloading some barrels of wine from Jarlaxle's hat

the Vistana is happy with herself, the party is befuddled, and Jarlaxle is really here to try and make an arrangement with the dark powers to try and subvert the spider queen. I plan next week for Jarlaxle to kidnap the girl Arabelle and use his hat to disguise himself as her and travel with the party as an observer
    (being kidnapped by Jarlaxle means you get to wait in a comfortable room while people see to your every need so she'll be fine)

override367 on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Thats awesome. My buddy has a daughter who is 5 and he is itching to play D&D with her. Its all he can do to not be overbearing about it. I hope it goes as well for him as it appears to have went for you!

webguy20 on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Thats awesome. My buddy has a daughter who is 5 and he is itching to play D&D with her. Its all he can do to not be overbearing about it. I hope it goes as well for him as it appears to have went for you!

I have to give a lot of credit to Mrs. Undead for helping CeeCee along by providing examples for her. At the beginning of the session, Mini-dead had trouble understanding what was expected of her. Like, I'd prompt her with "so, what do you want to do next?" and all she could muster was a shy "I don't know...". So mom, as Jerand, would prompt her with something like "do you think the guards know anything?" to which Mini-Dead would respond "Can I go talk to the guards?". After a few more instances like that, she began to better understand the flow of the game.

Interestingly, she really lit up when we got to the combat. My original intent was to simply Theatre-of-the-mind everything, as I was afraid maps and figurines would be too overwhelming for her, but as we started combat, she really started asking probing questions like "are the kobolds close to me?" and "how far can I move?". After I while I used our die in lieu of figurines to provide visual aids and that seemed to really help, as she was suddenly making plans as to where she wanted to stand in relation to her mom and the bad guys and what she wanted to do. She was also pretty good at remembering what her powers and abilities were, which impressed me a lot! Heck, mom forgot that she could rage, but CeeCee didn't forget her bees!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Just putting this out there for everyone, buy cheap oil paints, and a grab handfuls of gravel or pebbles from a beach. Paint ‘em up, a difficult solid colour for each one. You now have miniatures usable for any genre. That light green one? A goblin, a hacker, a plant mutant, light-cover, a jeep.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Last session we worked out another use for my telepathic Pseudodragon familiar: radar / HUD for the one member of the party without Darkvision, so that we don't need to use torches when being stealthy

Thanks to dynamic lighting on Roll20, the player was completely at the mercy of my directions until we entered the enemy stronghold, including being told when to jump and where the guard crocodiles were

The GM likened it to the old TV show Knightmare

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Last session we worked out another use for my telepathic Pseudodragon familiar: radar / HUD for the one member of the party without Darkvision, so that we don't need to use torches when being stealthy

Thanks to dynamic lighting on Roll20, the player was completely at the mercy of my directions until we entered the enemy stronghold, including being told when to jump and where the guard crocodiles were

The GM likened it to the old TV show Knightmare

Oooh. Nasty!

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

So... What i am thinking is that thematically you would be a sorcerer rather than a warlock if your patron was unknown to you and you never made a pact. The Patron just gave you the powers because you were useful. As a result the powers you get aren't terribly... static, kind of like a wild mage.

You choose a warlock patron (or your DM does) but do NOT choose a pact. You get that subclasses spells and their abilities in order at 1,6, 14, and 18 (so you're delayed on the level 10/14 features).

Additionally you can spend spell points (not sure how much and for how long) in order to activate an invocation. The invocation is random and/or determined by the DM(or you choose if you spend). OR at the start of your day you start with a random invocation. Using a metamagic option mutates the invocation into a different invocation. Plenty of ways to do this. Not sure exactly what is right

You also might have a code such that failure to act in the interest of the patron causes you to be unable to continue gaining levels (but you keep what you have) as a sorcerer until the Patron thinks you're acting in their interests again.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Now for something completely out of left field:
    Hellboy Is Crossing Over Into Dungeons & Dragons

Dark Horse and Mantic Games has announced plans to publish Hellboy: The Roleplaying Game using Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules. Earlier today, Dark Horse and Mantic Games announced that it would launch a Kickstarter to fund the production of Hellboy: The Roleplaying Game, which will let fans create and play as a BRPD agent as they face off against occult creatures. Character options include BRPD field researchers, security agents, or even a rookie with hidden supernatural powers.

Source

I've found some preview images for the Rime of the Frost Maiden minis.
    There's not one, but TWO gnome mindflayers.

a9yq48guyuw4.jpg
    bd0alk1zdbh2.jpg

I adore Hellboy so any Hellboy content is good, but I sure wouldn’t use D&D 5E to express it. If there’s any world that pays to be rules light it’s Hellboy. It’d make way more sense as a Blades in the Dark hack, with its crew system and taking on stress to push yourself beyond your limits.

Like, I just never once saw a character or critter in Hellboy having a load of HP, so much as do they lose thematically?

Hellboy gets put down by a faerie questioning his motives, and gets back up when he says “Screw you!” and remembers he’s a good guy, not the Right Hand of Doom. Abe gets saved dramatically by a hail of gunfire because he called for backup five minutes ago, he was just stalling the vampire. Liz has exactly as much magic fire as she needs, unless she’s sick, exhausted or troubled.

Like... Liz does not cast fireball.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

a9yq48guyuw4.jpg
    bd0alk1zdbh2.jpg

What in the sweet fuck

JtgVX0H.png
    edited August 2020
    For those unaware, there's a free D&D League of Legends supplement on D&D Beyond, complete with a few new subclasses and monsters.

Source

The Path of the Depths Barbarian is particularly badass and I wish I knew about it sooner. Here's some juicy bits:
    At 3rd level when you adopt this path, you gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed and gain the ability to breathe underwater.
    Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you manifest an extra appendage when you enter your rage. This weapon can appear as a kraken tentacle, a giant anchor, preternatural jaws, or something else based on your history.
    Beginning at 6th level, you can burst into water then materialize somewhere else as an action. You magically teleport along with any equipment you are wearing or carrying, up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. Before or after teleporting, you can make one attack, as part of your action. Moving in this way does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited August 2020
    Darmak wrote: »

a9yq48guyuw4.jpg
    bd0alk1zdbh2.jpg

What in the sweet fuck

Turns out an official illustration of the second one is already out!
    qd6ncpvl3e2i.png

I'm assuming gnomes are typically only used as a desperate last resort.

I wonder how other races fare?

Hexmage-PA on
    Gnomes are pretty magical. I guess most mindflayers like to be tall, but they’re a worthy alternative. I imagine humans are the worst options; all they’ve got going for them is ingenuity and ambition, which is likely lost in the transformation (or not something a Mindflayer lacks, regardless).

See, I just assumed human physiology was most conducive to ceremorphosis.

A 3.5 Dragon Magazine article did introduce the Brainstealer Dragon, though.

vzvsv93da5bf.jpeg

Humans are the easiest to ceramorphize because humans can breed with anything

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Can and do.

edited August 2020
    Glal wrote: »
    Can and do.

"What I propose, elder brain, is that you and I make a different kind of mind flayer"
    *sorceress flicks finger to start minor illusion playing romantic music*

override367 on
    I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that in 4E lore humans were the most mutable race for some reason and therefore had a lot derivatives: genasi, half-elves, half-orcs, tieflings, yuan-ti, illithids, etc.

edited August 2020
    Matt Colville's starting a D&D magazine:

BTW, there's already a D&D mini magazine called Rolled & Told that's been releasing issues for at least a year now and just came out with a compilation book, but I feel like it's a bit obscure.

epqy005e3jct.jpg

It also seems slightly more kid friendly than default D&D materials usually are, with one issue having an article on how to start a family D&D game night.

EDIT: Sorry for the huge image earlier. I nearly always use my phone and never know how big an image is going to be.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited August 2020
    So I just learned that the "Investiture" option of the Ceremony spell allows you to let other characters cast spells you've prepared of 1st-level. Meaning that you could hypothetically use it to give everyone in the party a familiar.

I thought about giving my Rogue/Wizard character I'm working on now a single level of Cleric just for that but his Wisdom is only 8.

Hexmage-PA on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    That reminds me, is Dragon+ still a thing? Anybody ever read it? I've never heard a single thing about it here or anywhere else on the internet.

So I just learned that the "Investiture" option of the Ceremony spell allows you to let other characters cast spells you've prepared of 1st-level. Meaning that you could hypothetically use it to give everyone in the party a familiar.

I thought about giving my Rogue/Wizard character I'm working on now a single level of Cleric just for that but his Wisdom is only 8.

Investiture is unofficial - the spell as describe in Xanathar does not have that option. But if officiality doesn't matter much in your table, yeah that's friggin' cool. A party Cleric can do Ceremony to give your Wizard Ceremony, and then you can do the familiar for all shenanigans.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

a9yq48guyuw4.jpg
    bd0alk1zdbh2.jpg

What in the sweet fuck

Turns out an official illustration of the second one is already out!
    qd6ncpvl3e2i.png

I'm assuming gnomes are typically only used as a desperate last resort.

I wonder how other races fare?

Why do I remember a book about speciation biology. One about nose walkers? And I vaguely remember that they were all on a island chain wiped out in atomic testing {along with all the researchers}

So I'm building a conjuration wizard and I've got a few questions.

First, Conjure Elemental states "the elemental disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends". The duration is said to be "concentration, one hour", so I'm assuming the elemental disappears when I end my concentration.

However, it also says "if your concentration is broken, the elemental doesn't disappear. Instead, you lose control of the elemental, it becomes hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. An uncontrolled elemental can't be dismissed by you, and it disappears 1 hour after you summoned it."

The specific term "broken" leads me to believe that if I voluntarily end my concentration the elemental will disappear, but if my concentration is broken involuntarily the elemental will remain for the entire hour. Am I right here?

In the event that my concentration is broken and the elemental goes out of control, could Dispel Magic get rid of it?

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Banish, not dispel magic.

steam_sig.png
    Yea I think of it as safely shutting down a nuclear reactor. When you choose to end concentration, your mind goes through the steps to dismiss the elemental safetly. When concentration is broken from damage or other source, you didn't get that time to shut it down safely, and the elemental rages.

I imagine the concentration is actually keeping the elemental spigot almost completely closed. That the wizard is actually fighting against the elemental to be completely free in our reality to do what it wants. Thats why dispel magic wouldn't work. It's not magic keeping it in our plane at this point, it was magic that opened the door to let the elemental in.

This discussion has been closed.