As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I tend to overlook the arcade games on Game Pass. Thank you for reminding me.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The Power Ranger fighting game isn't half bad. I would be pissed if I paid $60 for it, but for free it's kinda fun.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    The Power Ranger fighting game isn't half bad. I would be pissed if I paid $60 for it, but for free it's kinda fun.

It's a $20 game, so it's about where it should be price wise, I think.

Stabbity_Style.png

It's a $20 game, so it's about where it should be price wise, I think.

Oh cool! Yeah I'm not into fighting games so I didn't even look at it but since it's on Game Pass I figured I'd give it a shot. $20 is a great price for it.

Oh no... Slay the Spire has it's hooks in me. Oh noooo... I should be sleeping right now but one more run....

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Just read that to play next gen games on the ps5 you need the ps5 controller. That's an oof considering you can use one controllers on the series x without limitation no?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Just read that to play next gen games on the ps5 you need the ps5 controller. That's an oof considering you can use one controllers on the series x without limitation no?

I bet Sony makes a ton of money on their controllers.

I bet Sony makes a ton of money on their controllers.

I imagine controllers are the soft drinks of consoles great profit margins.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I suspect the PS5 will be sufficiently expensive that requiring you get another controller or two to join the one that's bundled it will probably not attract that much notice. And you'll still be able to use DS4 for Playstation 4 games on the PS5, it's just they won't cover the new titles.

A bigger point might be I don't think there are that many sufficiently...distinguished? Expensive?...PS4 controllers that people will really want to use on PS5. Meanwhile, it'll probably be a few more years before the Series 2 elite controllers are replaced by Xbox.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I wonder if Sony added the microphone to the PS5 controller just so they could be like "hey, the old controller doesn't have this thing in it, so you gotta have the new one cause all PS5 games have to be able to rely on it being there, sorry (not sorry)."

Hmm that last line feels like a reference to something...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Now bring back aiming down sights, you cowards! :mad:

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Its nice that Microsoft is being all mananigmous with crossgen controllers but I think they are *very* far behind the curve with not even supporting gyro. That shit needs to become the standard for all games where you have to aim anything. It would also be nice if they got on the haptic feedback bandwagon with Sony and Nintendo, but it could be that doing anything actually good with the tech requires customization for each controller's physical layout which 3rd parties cannot be arsed to do.

edited August 2020
    Its nice that Microsoft is being all mananigmous with crossgen controllers but I think they are *very* far behind the curve with not even supporting gyro. That shit needs to become the standard for all games where you have to aim anything. It would also be nice if they got on the haptic feedback bandwagon with Sony and Nintendo, but it could be that doing anything actually good with the tech requires customization for each controller's physical layout which 3rd parties cannot be arsed to do.

I actually think gyroscope motion sensing is terrible and needs to die the way most motion sensing gameplay mechanics died outside of very specific implementations (like VR--and even then, it's optional), and am relieved by the failure for it to become anyway "standardized" across platforms over the last 15 years of trying by multiple companies, the way it took more than a decade for gamepad layouts to become generally standardized.

But that's only my opinion. "HD Rumble" on the Switch is dying an ignominious death after the general lack of support from a lot of developers (completely unsurprising) and its total removal from the Switch's first major revision (not as unsurprising), and while the Xbox 360 and One gamepads literally pioneered player force feedback in a gamepad, further improvements to haptic feedback are something I'll welcome with future controller revisions, but not a thing that keeps me up at night (we'll have to see if it's supported any better on the Dualshock 5 than the touchpad, which Sony also described as "fundamentally game changing" on the Dualshock 4, was).

Back on the Playstation 3, Sony openly suggested that any kind of controller force feedback was widely obsolete (and did not seriously pursue it for the majority of the PS4's lifetime either). They turned out to be wrong, but all the same, there's a lot of wiggle room for developers here to decide whether or not they actually want to take advantage of this technology (to use the example of the PS4, motion controls with the DS4's tracking light actively made games less enjoyable every time I used them, but your mileage will vary).

Synthesis on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just want the controller to be the controller and not something I have to make conform to the screen. Bad enough that even with the Pro Controller on the Switch you still have to shake and move for certain things like Mario Odyssey or some Zelda puzzles.

Just make a little screen like a VMU or what might have been on the WiiU controller where it can show a map or health statistics and that's it.

I love all Dreamcast related things too, to be sure, but given the dominance of multiplatform titles in general, third-party developers being inherently resistant to these sort of measures (hence the state of Kinect and DS4 touchpad support), and especially with ongoing support of the Switch (that is, in terms of performance, more comparable to the Xbox 360 than the Playstation 3), it's not unreasonable to assume a "path of least resistance" when it comes to the controller development path. "Haptic feedback" is a neat concept, but it's coming from the company that insisted the touchpad was going to be a gamechanger for the Vita Playstation 4, had a massive install base to take advantage of for just that, but also decided "Force Feedback is old fashion and obsolete" before deciding to remove it.

We do know there will be a huge number of Dualshock 4 controllers still in use when the Playstation 5 launches. And we know that Xbox One controllers will work on Xbox Series X (and potentially vice versa). And we know that the new version of the Switch, one that is selling very well, completely dropped the "game changing" HD rumble feature. And, of course, we know the already-discontinued Kinect will not even be supported for legacy purposes on Series X , etc.. You probably couldn't ask for a better environment for developers not to care enough about "haptic feedback" or "gyroscope controls" to actually spend any money or resources into it

For the platform owners, it's probably a lot easier to simply offer the player a lot more options of usability and quality-of-life improvements that don't rely on developers. This is why the Xbox controller software and the elite controllers have been widely adopted (especially considering the high price point)--they don't rely on developers accounting for additional back panels or controller calibration. It might look kind of odd, but maybe the Dualshock 5 reflects these too, in terms of comfortable and use...and a large touchpad that even Sony has having a hard time finding a use for.

TexiKen wrote: »
    I just want the controller to be the controller and not something I have to make conform to the screen. Bad enough that even with the Pro Controller on the Switch you still have to shake and move for certain things like Mario Odyssey or some Zelda puzzles.

Just make a little screen like a VMU or what might have been on the WiiU controller where it can show a map or health statistics and that's it.

I don't even want a little screen. Like I don't to look at my controller, I want to just use it to control fucking games not draw puzzles or swing it over my head or balance shit or whatever else.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

I don't even want a little screen. Like I don't to look at my controller, I want to just use it to control fucking games not draw puzzles or swing it over my head or balance shit or whatever else.
    Nah, myself, I have found second screens pretty handy for a map or inventory or whatever.

cB557 on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Sony money hatted spiderman again in the upcoming avengers game. Sick of this exclusive shit.

cB557 wrote: »

Nah, myself, I have found second screens pretty hand for a map or inventory or whatever.

You kids with your tik toks and your controllers with motion trackers. BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD A AND B AND WE LOVED IT!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Sony money hatted spiderman again in the upcoming avengers game. Sick of this exclusive shit.

Pretty sure that has more to do with Spider-Man still being a SONY film property.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Pretty sure that has more to do with Spider-Man still being a SONY film property.

He was in the switch ultimate alliance game.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with that given that the film and game licenses are seperate.

I am very not envious of the upcoming Avengers game. That may just be me though.

He was in the switch ultimate alliance game.

The earlier two MUA games were on Xbox 360 (and Xbox One later) as well as Playstation platforms. I think happening to feature Spiderman is not the same thing as a Spiderman game.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Counterpoint: other than mouse/keyboard, gyro aiming with a stick is 100% the best way to aim in a shooter. It gives the same direct aiming that a mouse does, much more precise than just a stick. You get sweeping aim and movement with a stick, and then precise adjustments and quick snaps with the gyro.
    I do wish the xsx controller had gyro too.

Also. How did the 360 pad pioneer force feedback if the Dual Shock controllers existed almost a decade before?

Crippl3 on
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Also. How did the 360 pad pioneer force feedback if the Dual Shock controllers existed almost a decade before?

Force Feedback was available on joysticks before even the original Dual Shock controller (not to mention arcades more than a decade before the original Playstation console). "Pioneer" in the sense that it standardized it across every game in the platform, as well as making it feedback for aspects of the UI separate from the game itself. Definitely not invent, sorry if it sounded like I was suggesting that.

Considering just how successful gyroscope controls have turned on on the Switch (and how well received they are on PS4), well, they may take another crack at it with the new consoles. I will not miss it personally (and I suspect it's going to catch on just as well as it did on the Wii U).

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with that given that the film and game licenses are seperate.

I didn't say the movie license granted exclusivity. I suggested the reason was related.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Iirc insomniac was approached by Marvel to make a game, and they (Insomniac) specifically chose Spider-Man. It just so happened to end up as a PS4 exclusive, it wasn't conceived as one.

Sony may have gotten "first dibs" and they would have been stupid to not take it

Local H Jay on
    edited August 2020

I didn't say the movie license granted exclusivity. I suggested the reason was related.

I didn't say you said that. I said that their seperate because they're two unrelated licenses.

IIRC, Marvel gave Insomniac their choice of characters to work with and they chose Spider-Man; it wasn't a mandate from elsewhere within Sony to utilize the character.
    Insomniac was given the choice of using any character from Marvel's catalog to work on; Spider-Man was chosen both for his appeal to the employees and the similarities in traversal gameplay to their previous game Sunset Overdrive (2014).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(2018_video_game)

Unfortunately that page is not well sourced and I forget where I learned that information previously.

Undead Scottsman on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Xbox one controllers have additional rumble feedback for the triggers, which is used to great affect in Forza games.... and nowhere else. I can imagine they aren’t keen on adding anything more to the controllers that will be unused by the majority of games produced.

Edit: changed tumblr to rumble. Autocorrect got me. *sigh*

Nitsua on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Microsoft did a developer talk about touch controls for xCloud, and the Coalition talked about what they're doing for Gears 5 (skip to 39:35)
    https://youtu.be/UpVegajoHGw?t=2376

Devs can make totally custom touch panels and button layouts with support for all kinds of stuff, for example in cutscenes all the buttons disappear while you're watching, or having buttons bring up other buttons like pressing a weapon swap button brings up the D-pad and then hides it again when it's done. Also, gyro aiming support!

Crippl3 on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man the load times in Prey are something awful

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Its nice that Microsoft is being all mananigmous with crossgen controllers but I think they are *very* far behind the curve with not even supporting gyro. That shit needs to become the standard for all games where you have to aim anything
    is this like a joke post or something?

Any sort of gyro aiming is the first thing I turn off in nintendo games
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Back on the Playstation 3, Sony openly suggested that any kind of controller force feedback was widely obsolete

lol no not really. they lost their patent and weren't allowed to put rumble in the original sixaxis, as soon as they were able to a yearish later they immediately put out the dualshock 3 and got rid of the sixaxis controller. everything they "said" around launch of the ps3 was just a bullshit line since they couldn't have rumble

edit - i know you already replied to this but
    Synthesis wrote: »
    while the Xbox 360 and One gamepads literally pioneered player force feedback in a gamepad
    this is so wrong I don't even, and it's not because of what was referenced to, it was because of the Rumble Pak for the N64 and star fox. Immediately after that every game worth it's salt had rumble and used the rumble pak...

edit - jesus look at this list https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games_with_Rumble_Pak_support

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    "Force feedback" technically describes something other than the rumble we've seen in controllers, which would be considered "haptic feedback." You see force feedback in racing wheels that can push back to accurately reflect the real world forces a car would be feeling during a turn or in adverse weather situations.

And Sony didn't put rumble in the Sixaxis because the technology's patent owner successfully sued them for using it in the PS1 and PS2 controllers, they never had a patent to begin with. Microsoft also got sued, but instead of fighting they settled right away. Nintendo didn't get sued because they didn't use the same style of rumble the other two did. Regardless, Sony fought and lost and ended up paying four times as much as Microsoft when it came to licensing the rumble technology for the DualShock 3, which came out right after they finally settled.

Microsoft apparently bought a 10% share of the company as part of the settlement. That's really funny.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, I seem to recall liking gyro aiming, as I'm really not very good at FPS-type coordination and such.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    lol no not really. they lost their patent and weren't allowed to put rumble in the original sixaxis, as soon as they were able to a yearish later they immediately put out the dualshock 3 and got rid of the sixaxis controller. everything they "said" around launch of the ps3 was just a bullshit line since they couldn't have rumble

So in other words, they did say it. It's fine to take companies at their words and call them out on it, we do it all the time with Microsoft in this thread. :lol:

To briefly depart from the clearly inevitable future of gryoscope motion controls, this is kind of a big thing for anyone on the fast preview group of the Insider Build: the new storefront will be launching on XB1 this week.

https://youtu.be/zqUgBjrNIeA

This is going to presumably be what the storefront looks like on Series X and Series S, and thus worth getting used to. Don't be abruptly surprised (like I am with every preview update).

Also, I incorrectly thought that Marvel's Avengers (2020) was a Playstation exclusive title, whereas it's multiplatform, it's just that Spiderman is only available for it on Sony's platforms.

I'm not well informed on the game. Also, I think it looks kind of ugly and have no interest in playing it, but I can understand the annoyance. I presume that specific character will be kind of a peripheral part of the game though, considering his exclusivity.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    In the end the deal makes sense, business-wise, but the Spidey thing was annoying enough when it was just the mainline games becoming exclusive to PS4/5. Now it feels Sony is saying "wanna play Spidey? Well you can't do it on Xbox." Which imo is a big dick move. I was teetering on the edge with the Avengers game, I wanted to be hype and love it every step of the way, but it has just been a master class in How Not To Handle A Billion Dollar Franchise. Ugly, bland character design, MCU-adjacent but not MCU inspired plot, gameplay that looks fun but also somehow highly scripted? And now this. I almost always get multiplayer, multi platform games for my Xbox since my friends are majority there. Seems so ass backwards to force me to either buy it twice or just once and sacrifice either my favorite character or my friends list... Which wouldn't be an issue if Sony enabled crossplay out of the box like the other two did.

Fuck sake I hate Sony for paying for this shit and I hate Squeenix for doing it, I'd rather have no spiderman than this crap. Its not even a timed exclusive like the destiny stuff was either, just forever locked to one version.