As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Fairy tail has the most obnoxious capture watermark of any switch game i have played so far.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So I tried playing more Pokemon Sword... it's just... really really boring. Like there is no challenge to any of the stuff I'm doing in the story and capturing pokemon feels more like an exercise in patience/frustration than anything else - so I pretty much only tolerate the game when I have quick balls. There is a non-existent bland story of some predictable nonsense going on and I just can't manage to care.

Are all pokemon games this bland and rote or is this not typical of the series?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    They've gotten blander and blander and more predictable as the series has progressed. I felt the same as you in Sun and Moon, arguably even one of the most interesting and creative settings the series has had. Turned me off of the whole series until I see or hear something particularly remarkable.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    It's the first Pokemon game I've played and it honestly isn't showing me why this is such a loved franchise.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Not all games are for everyone.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Like, more specifically, I don't particularly care for Call of Duty or Madden, but lots of people do like those games. It doesn't necessarily mean the games or the people are bad or wrong.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah Pokémon games aren't really about the challenge. The challenge is there after you beat the game (as is tradition in a bunch of Nintendo games). If the concept of capturing and raising your perfect Pokémon buddy and watching him grow with you isn't appealing then the series is not really for you.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah, Pokemon's mostly about the endgame and the PvP battling post-game. And it's great there. But getting to that point is an experience that's not for everyone (which is fine).

If you're looking for a monster-collector with challenge and a story I'll forever recommend Digimon: Cyber Sleuth and the Shin Megami Tensei series.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    The inane and endless dialogue and predictable characters/plot is what wears me down very quickly. Why would I want to grow alongside a buddy in an uninteresting world?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Yeah, Pokemon's mostly about the endgame and the PvP battling post-game. And it's great there. But getting to that point is an experience that's not for everyone (which is fine).

If you're looking for a monster-collector with challenge and a story I'll forever recommend Digimon: Cyber Sleuth and the Shin Megami Tensei series.

I really want that SMT tactics game series released on switch.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I will be getting both SMT games as soon as they put them out on switch. I have played through about half of Nocturne and definitely want to finish it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I want them to remake/rerelease that ps2 duology, whetever it was called.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I want them to remake/rerelease that ps2 duology, whetever it was called.

Digital Devil Saga.

Although to be honest, I'd be content with just getting DDS 1, because I liked that one better.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    You know, I still haven't played Three Houses yet but I love listening to remixes of Edge of Dawn on youtube and spotify.

Beautiful song.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I would throw money so hard at a Digital devil saga port for the switch that it would cause the recipient physical harm.

Loved that series

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

I really want that SMT tactics game series released on switch.

A new Devil Survivor would be cool, yeah. But they already did one remake of them for 3DS. Still love the second remake's subtitle.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    You know, I still haven't played Three Houses yet but I love listening to remixes of Edge of Dawn on youtube and spotify.

Beautiful song.

it's even 10x as touching when you get the lyrics within the context of the game (it's Edelgard singing)

the previous 2 FE games have equally as amazing songs, too. Almia and Fates.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah Pokémon games aren't really about the challenge. The challenge is there after you beat the game (as is tradition in a bunch of Nintendo games). If the concept of capturing and raising your perfect Pokémon buddy and watching him grow with you isn't appealing then the series is not really for you.

I think Pokemon Let's Go zeroes in on this experience better and that's a hill I'll die on.

I'd tried a few Pokemon games, and like Aegeri, always found them tedious, boring, and weighed down with lengthy milquetoast dialog. Let's Go actually got me excited enough to attempt Sword... and the same damned thing happened.

Let's Go though, man. It was breezy, light, had enough trainer battles to scratch my turn based battle itch, but the catching mechanic being turned into a throwing minigame prevented the "Training the perfect pokemon team" or "Catching all the pokemon" part from turning into a Sisyphean task. I mean, especially if the excuse is "Pokemon games aren't challenging until the post game", the core game has no excuse to be as tedious as mainline game are, and Let's Go largely fixed that.

It basically hit all the notes I'd always been told Pokemon was always about, without the endless boring tedium that mainline games appear to wallow in.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I won't begrudge anyone coming into the Pokemon series as an adult for not enjoying it. It gets said of a lot of different games, but in Pokemon's case it's really, seriously true: they're designed for children. Literal actual children. Based on some of the stories I've seen in Reddit threads themed on "What was the silliest thing you ever did/believed in Pokemon as a kid", these are players who, say, put every Fire move on their Charizard and nothing else, or play the whole game with some Pokemon that evolves by stone or trading at the head of their party. They are designed to be beaten by people who understand maybe a tenth of what's possible in the battle engine. Where Pokemon becomes worthwhile for adults is the competitive aspect, and I can totally understand not wanting to grind through the story for forty-plus hours just to get to the actual fun part of the game without an existing attachment to the series.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I'd say that you're completely safe in skipping every line of dialog in Sword to get to the fun stuff: battling and capturing.

I'm a huge fan of turn based RPGs though so I really enjoy the slow grind and battles.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I will say that there is something to the new games being too damn easy. I've played through fire red recently and it is not nearly as much of a cakewalk as anything that has come out in the last several years.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Pokémon was only ever fun for me when I play with a complete randomizes and nuzlocke rules. Suddenly that attachment becomes a much more significant aspect.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Pokemon is comfort food. Sometimes you just wanna capture make a bunch of slaves friends and take a bunch of children's money become the best like no one ever was.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I won't begrudge anyone coming into the Pokemon series as an adult for not enjoying it. It gets said of a lot of different games, but in Pokemon's case it's really, seriously true: they're designed for children. Literal actual children. Based on some of the stories I've seen in Reddit threads themed on "What was the silliest thing you ever did/believed in Pokemon as a kid", these are players who, say, put every Fire move on their Charizard and nothing else, or play the whole game with some Pokemon that evolves by stone or trading at the head of their party. They are designed to be beaten by people who understand maybe a tenth of what's possible in the battle engine. Where Pokemon becomes worthwhile for adults is the competitive aspect, and I can totally understand not wanting to grind through the story for forty-plus hours just to get to the actual fun part of the game without an existing attachment to the series.

They are designed for children yes, but the designers of the games somehow think children are getting dumber and less clever as time goes on, as they've continually made the newer games even simpler and easier and with less dungeons/mazes/puzzles over time.

Sword/Shield is incredibly linear.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I will say that there is something to the new games being too damn easy. I've played through fire red recently and it is not nearly as much of a cakewalk as anything that has come out in the last several years.

Also they've felt too toothless ever since your rival became an encouraging friend. As a kid I wanted to beat Gary, it felt great to beat him every time. I don't want to fight some nice girl with self-esteem issues who is kinda depressed when I win.

And in recent games the Teams, Team Rocket etc., went from being a semi-serious threat to laughable goons while some completely different person is the true villain.

Ruby/Sapphire was the pinnacle of the Team antagonists, that story actually got serious.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It might have been because it was the first Pokémon I’d touched since Red/Blue (which I never finished), but X/Y really hooked me all the way through the main story and then some.

I bounced off Shield shortly after it went pseudo-open world. Absolutely plausible that I’ve just got a real low satiation point for Pokémon that comes due every couple decades, but it really did feel glacial and shallow in a way that Y did not for me.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Also they've felt too toothless ever since your rival became an encouraging friend. As a kid I wanted to beat Gary, it felt great to beat him every time. I don't want to fight some nice girl with self-esteem issues who is kinda depressed when I win.

And in recent games the Teams, Team Rocket etc., went from being a semi-serious threat to laughable goons while some completely different person is the true villain.

Ruby/Sapphire was the pinnacle of the Team antagonists, that story actually got serious.

Then again, turning Team Yell into a bunch of soccer hooligans is hilarious and perfect for not-England.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It's funny. People keep saying pokemon games get easier, and yet I would say Sun/Moon was the highest average degree of resistance a pokémon game presented me with in the entire series. As well as probably the best writing and story. I wouldn't trade one Lillie for ten Team Magmas, thanks.

Sword and Shield left me a bit cold mostly because it didn't run with what it was best at. Which is the Gym Challenge. In a lot of ways, SnS was a bit of a return to Blue (after the more plot-focused angle of SuMo), in which your objective is to win the league, and the shenanigans in the way are obstacles - you're here to win the pokemon football world cup, not smash the mafia or whatever. Like people remember Giovanni from the anime, but in the actual game Team Rocket are literally just a thing you smash because they're blocking your way, and Giovanni is a literal nothing. And the gyms in SnS were the coolest they've ever been! I was genuinely hyped at many points, they nail the atmosphere perfectly. So many of the gym leaders are very cool personalities and designs.

But instead of just going all in on that, I guess someone said "people will complain if we don't have a Plot With Legendaries"? So we have this thing with Zacian and Zamazenta and Eternatus that is, well, nothing compared to the League stuff, and feels so very extraneous and just sorta dilutes the game.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I did appreciate Ultra Space and how wild those themes were to explore for pokemon. But by contrast, Team Skull was boring and silly.

I'm looking back on like, Team Flare and what Lysandre accomplished. I didn't even love X/Y but I remember Lysandre. Or looking back to Team Galactic and Cyrus and his crazy plan.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah, playing both of them for the first time as an adult, I actually really enjoyed the writing in Pokemon Black/White and in Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby. I played Blue and Silver growing up, and was expecting the same more or less non-story, but they're pretty fun! There's a lot of weird zany quotes from random NPCs that are actually kind of funny, and the plot was fun enough to keep pushing me along. The presentation values in Alpha Sapphire were pretty top notch too.

Sword/Shield....did not feel that way. Some of the characters are alright, but overall it's just very sanitized and boring. I made it about 3/4 through the gym league stuff and eventually just lost interest. They're just not the best designed Pokemon games -- I don't know what it would be like approaching the series for the first time ever as an adult, but I feel like Sword/Shield is a bad introduction and I wouldn't expect someone new to the series to enjoy them. It feels to me like playing Alpha Sapphire around when it launched actually felt good and got me excited, and that would have been a better point to catch on. But they're older now, and it would have been nice if the first console entry in the series felt like it had that much love poured into it. Overall, it just didn't. For games that make such massive amounts of money, it really did seem like we were owed more for the console launch. But ultimately we're not owed anything by game devs -- even a moderate budget for a $60 blockbuster entry in the most profitable IP of all time, as lame as that feels.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The one thing sword and shield does right is the character customization. I mean come on have you ever seen a trainer looking this good? Story wise it's more of the same honestly.
    f54t820aibrk.png

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Made it to the fifth zone in Origami King.
    Bowser Jr: "This is embarrassing.."

Kamek: "I used to carry you like this as a baby"

Daww..

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    The one thing sword and shield does right is the character customization. I mean come on have you ever seen a trainer looking this good? Story wise it's more of the same honestly.
    f54t820aibrk.png

If you weren't trying to out-terrible the in-game designs, were you even really trying?
    TU8TErU.jpg
    "Yes, I fed the hundred reject hamsters into the woodchipper, and I'll do it again without a second thought."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I did appreciate Ultra Space and how wild those themes were to explore for pokemon. But by contrast, Team Skull was boring and silly.

I'm looking back on like, Team Flare and what Lysandre accomplished. I didn't even love X/Y but I remember Lysandre. Or looking back to Team Galactic and Cyrus and his crazy plan.

Honestly, the more time passes, the more I am convinced Team Skull may well be the best thought out Team in pokémon.

Like, the Team du jour is always going to be silly. They can't not be. These are always going to be hilarious mooks with two-bit pokemon that get humorously stomped by the protagonist. At most the boss is going to have some actual screen presence, but the grunts are always going to be dumb. So you kinda have two choices. You can try to sell them as legitimate criminals, or you can just go "fuck it" and let them be silly obstacles and not feel like you have to marry the Actual Villain With Screen Presence to the mooks. Then you can just have them be regular nuisances throughout the game without actually detracting from the threat of the primary antagonist the way the bumblers in Team Aqua detracted from their thing.

Plus they're so very quotable :P.

(Also, full honesty, I legit do not remember the Galactics' deal. Like, I remember the Magma vs Aqua stuff, I remember N and Ghetsis perfectly well, but I need to stop for a while to remember who was the baddies in Diamond and even then I remember nothing about their supposed plan)

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Before Pokémon Sword and Shield I think the last time I finished a Pokémon game was... Red? I think. Maybe BW2 but I don't remember honestly. I buy them all and get bored after a while but the gym battles in this one were something else.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Before Pokémon Sword and Shield I think the last time I finished a Pokémon game was... Red? I think. Maybe BW2 but I don't remember honestly. I buy them all and get bored after a while but the gym battles in this one were something else.

I bought black and white got stuck on the first gym and noped out
    I liked X/Y for various reasons and played Sun/moon/Ultra but I got tired of the rather linear nature of the game
    I had hoped in Sword Shield they finally got away from it {I do understand that the Final Four is part of the end and you should not be able to skip ahead to it but it's the other gyms you should be able to skip around but complete them how you want

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Team Skull owns, so does Team Yell

Also all the music and Pokémon designs in Sw/Sh kick ass

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    The Team Skull music is my favourite in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hx8H54VgTk

• Options
    I guess I had very high expectations for switch Pokemon, because I hadn’t played one before and hadn’t really read much about the series. I just found it really grindy and not interesting.

Also after Final Fantasy XIII, I no longer accept a game being a terrible experience for 20+ hours until some end game finally makes it worth playing.

I have so many games that are engaging from hour 1 onwards to play instead.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Bethesda sale. Caved and bought Doom ('93) and Skyrim for the umpteenth time.

I know it's a nine year old game that runs happily on hardware from 2005. But seeing Skyrim on a handheld feels like some kind of literal magic.

Also glad that Doom had its initial issues patched, and it's now also an exemplary port. There's a particular itch that game scratches that nothing else does. There's few games that are such a nostalgia trip (playing it in December '93 remains seared into my memory) yet also hold up so well as a shining example of near-timeless game design. And it's currently going for less than a cup of coffee.