As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tekken and Other Fighting Games That Aren't Tekken, I Guess (digital karate simulations)

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    yeah but i'd also expect slayer to get in since he's very popular and extremely simple outside of BDC
    maybe slayer...with no bite...

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    given the launch roster of granblue fantasy versus there's a non-zero chance that we're at like, only 2 more reveals for strive, especially if they next one is october

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    nagoriyuki has slayer's bite, for some reason
    P10 wrote: »
    it was more that its exactly the same animation

Because he's a Vampire and seems to get powered up by blood.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Unless Jam is one of the next character reveals, at least I got May and Leo in there to main.

I know making characters takes time in this engine, but really feels like they're holding a lot of the roster back.

I guess with the way DBZ and now Granblue seasons pass work, adding 3 or 4 new characters every year to expand the rosters is just the way its going to be.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    they can't not have Jam, can they?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    they can't not have Jam, can they?

I dunno. I mean, Street Fighter V doesn't have Makoto.

Sometimes devs refuse to implement clear fan favorites.

(Maybe they'll save Jam for DLC because they know people will buy her.)

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Jam's a great character, but back around GGXX (the last time I was paying much attention to the fiction) she seemed to be the only one who didn't really fit into the larger world-building they were doing the way all the others did. Well, her and Axl (who's from the past), but then they did the whole thing with Axl's girl becoming Zappa's S-Ko, and present Axl being Raven, so...

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Jam is cool but honestly she's a non-factor to the story and generally middle of the pack on the requested character list.

I'm guessing the starting roster will be 16-20.

So she could make it but I'm betting on DLC.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Biggest announcements: Tekken's roll-back is being improved and customizations in Soul Calibur will have an option to prevent your clothes from being destroyed.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Deans wrote: »
    Biggest announcements: Tekken's roll-back is being improved and customizations in Soul Calibur will have an option to prevent your clothes from being destroyed.

Tekken 7 doesn't have rollback and the fact that Harada keeps calling it that worries me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    It looks like it does, it's just so minor that it took years to realize it's even there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JELhvChckjs

• Options
  • Options
    Yeah my expectations are low, honestly. At first I was thinking a small improvement is better than nothing, but this probably lowers the chances of a more substantial overhaul ever happening.

• Options
    i don't remember the exact wording during the panel (and obviously its being translated, so exactness is iffy to begin with) but it came across as like "we're going to do what we can to improve tekken 7 netplay experience but its a 5 year old game (and thus hard to justify the kind of expenditure necessary to potentially completely overhaul our game so we can add rollback)" which implies to me that they are more looking ahead to their next project and hopefully not going to drop the ball there

• Options
    Tekken 7 has the largest number of characters I like to play in any fighting game ever, many of which probably won't make it to 8, so it's sad to think of the game dying in the way all bad netcode games eventually do. Hopefully we're finally at the point where we don't have to worry about this anymore with future releases.

• Options
    T7 still has good online numbers in spite of its terrible netcode which is pretty cool.

But it also makes you wonder how better it would be if the online didn't suck ass.

I know personally I never stick with it cause it always ends with me waiting 5-10 minutes to find 2 bar matches and I just give up in frustration.

And I know Discord but for me part of the fun of online is playing many different people.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    T7 still has good online numbers in spite of its terrible netcode which is pretty cool.

But it also makes you wonder how better it would be if the online didn't suck ass.

I know personally I never stick with it cause it always ends with me waiting 5-10 minutes to find 2 bar matches and I just give up in frustration.

And I know Discord but for me part of the fun of online is playing many different people.

That's a valid stance. I usually pop into ranked whenever a game launches, but it's always "yeah, it sucks in here too".

I'm on enough discord servers that I still get good variety, but maybe I wouldn't hate ranked so much if connections were better

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I managed to fight my way to a Silver ranking, thanks to turning on auto-linkers

People gotta learn you can't use raw Shadow moves on Aganos if he has meter, he's just going to smash you to paste

Nothing feels quite like somebody waiting for you to get up into one of their shadow moves, only to discover that Shadow Ruiner has startup strike invulnerability

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    VF5 online tourny on NYCFurby

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    so i got dbz and played 1 person in ranked and went 2-1 with him before the baby woke up. so im basically a god at this game now. soul calibur though, that game is impossible.

• Options
    So much for august 10 like they were planning lol.

• Options
  • Options

If this were more representative of Pat's content, I wouldn't avoid his channel so much

• Options
    Watched a bit of Setsuka on Twitch last night.

She is surprisingly mostly intact from her previous versions. I was a bit wary because it seemed like they really toned down block punishment in this game and that was a big thing with her.

No more i12 punisher though...its i14. I figured they wouldn't keep that in but I also thought it would be hilarious if they did.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I don't know, I think he currently lacks the mass to crush enemy heads between thighs like sparrow eggs.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TFW you get excited about a big update then you go online and quickly remember why you stopped playing in the first place.

Like I know its a dead horse at this point but man these Japanese fighting devs need to get their shit together.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    TFW you get excited about a big update then you go online and quickly remember why you stopped playing in the first place.

Like I know its a dead horse at this point but man these Japanese fighting devs need to get their shit together.

You talkin' bout lobbies? It's... it's an issue, yeah

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So Darkstalkers got trademarked again which we all know means nothing, but in the conversation surrounding it someone posted an Easter egg from RE: Resistance that I never heard about. An RE engine re-design of Victor in an amusement park stage.

https://youtu.be/mja-kbfCXhw

And now thinking about it, I can't help but realize how kind of perfect an re engine Darkstalkers game would fit with Capcom's output in the past 5 years or so. Resident Evil and DMC had their artstyle evolve into something darker and more "realistic" than their previous game. Even Monster Hunter, which has been super colorful and arcady in the past 10 years was made way less saturated in World, and they worked hard to make the monsters look and act more like real creatures.

Basically RE engine Darkstalkers is something I didn't know I wanted. And while I really want MvC4 more than anything, re-use some DMCV and Resident Evil assets by slapping some guest characters and stages into a Darkstalkers game and I'll be hype as hell.

Honestly at this point I just want new fighting games to get announced. It feels like we were drowning in new games at one point and now the only thing to look forward to is Strive. And KofXV, whenever they decide to actually show it.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    I have zero interest in whatever darkstalkers modern capcom makes

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I have hope. Maybe the problems with modern Capcom fightgames were all Ono's fault and now everything will be great.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    If the new one sucks then we just go back to playing vsav, no big deal

• Options
    Yes. I'm actually pretty excited for a new Darkstalkers.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    For those who didnt see the Matt McMusles video or Max's stream last night, this video about the development of Street Fighter 5 is fucking wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUATQBZa8IQ

the tl;dr
    • Supposed to be a near launch game for next gen
    • DIMPS developers of SF4 and SFxTK obviously busy
    • CAPCOM hires CG studio Polygon Pictures who did CG work for SFxTK
    • Polygon Pictures has zero experience with games so staffs up
    • Game is on UE4 so they go with a realistic style (this is where Hot Ryu comes from)
    • Polygon/CAPCOM waste 2 years making this and it doesn't pan out visually or gameplay (Max says CAPCOM USA was calling it Jank Fighter)
    • CAPCOM has DIMPS make USF4 to bide for time using assets from SFxTF with a shoestring budget
    • With very little time left CAPCOM forces shorthanded development onto DIMPS already working on SFxTF and USF4
    • Sony and CAPCOM exchange $$ to support development in exchange for exclusive rights
    • DIMPS forced a rushjob cause their deadline is end of fiscal and the start of Capcom Cup
    • CAPCOM says good enough they will take the critical hit at launch cause they are going to support it long term and it gets shipped in its sorry state.

Also Max confirms SFxTK suffered from the same fiscal crap which is why half of the roster launched on the disc, not finished at end of fiscal? pack it up and ship it out!

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Walking in and buying that on launch day has to be one of my worst gaming decisions. Right up there with preordering a Wii U.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah even when the first sfv leaks started ahead of the Sony reveal, you could tell Capcom was in a weird place

like Sony being the exclusive partner because Capcom simply didn't have the money to finish the game, umvc3 going through it's weird de-listing, ultra sfiv being almost entirely re-used assets, the abysmal mvci reveal...

not a great time for their fighting games

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Walking in and buying that on launch day has to be one of my worst gaming decisions. Right up there with preordering a Wii U.

to be fair the wiiu had a lot of potential but wasnt supported well. its actually kind of enlightening. wiiu wasnt supported after launch and died while sfv was and turned out ok-ish.

i hope GG turns out well and just dunks all over all these half assed fighting games.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    what i dont get is if they knew it was fundamentally terrible then why hype it up and be like "we're going to support this until 2020!!! it's going to be like dota with new fighters all the time!!"

why not just re-launch SFxTekken after they fixed all the BS.... capcom is the master of the re-release...

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    what i dont get is if they knew it was fundamentally terrible then why hype it up and be like "we're going to support this until 2020!!! it's going to be like dota with new fighters all the time!!"

why not just re-launch SFxTekken after they fixed all the BS.... capcom is the master of the re-release...

They knew SF5 was going to get mauled and they have to champion their flagship title.

xTK was just too far gone I assume

• Options
    SFV has at least become a decent game over time.

It's only problem now is that Granblue came out and it's more Street Fighter than SFV is.

This discussion has been closed.