As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] The International 2019

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I mean the Battle Pass is still a great 'bang for your buck' in terms of getting additional cosmetic content. I think if there wasn't a Battle Pass, I wouldn't be playing nearly as much Dota, but thanks to the Cavern Crawl and the FIVE!? Arcana unlockables, I've been trying to get more points.

Edit - we could use a thread title change @Sceptre

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I should probably reinstall the game. I've been doing a lot of "go back and see" sort of gaming lately and considering how much I talked up DotA 2 being more accessible to new players than Hearthstone (don't ask) I should see what it's like for a returning player after a LOT of years.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I consider Heroes of the Storm the best designed and most fun MOBA (although its enhanced vulnerability to "it only takes one bad teammate" syndrome drags it down immensely), but it's considered a failure because the e-sports scene never took off? I feel like an old man for asking, but why does anyone care?

I think it's important to note that at least from my viewpoint, HOTS is considered a failure because Blizzard considers it so. They pumped a bunch of money into it to try artificially create a competitive scene and when that didn't happen, unceremoniously dumped it from continued development. They appear to really be obsessed with having their own big competitive E sport game in every major genre.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    To be frank it doesn't help that HOTS didn't have the same kind of depth that DotA 2 does (I dunno about LOL). The deepest thing HOTS going for it was character builds and how they can vary, but then DotA 2 was like "great idea" and pulled a Blizzard Entertainment on Activision-Blizzard (doing an idea better than the other people to try it). Which is awesome imo. That said, DotA 2 maintains more depth because of the item system that's in the game as well, and again it has the advantage of being a long-established game.

HOTS was destined to fail and I'm kinda glad it did. Activision isn't going to learn any lessons from it any time soon, and THAT aspect sucks.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    My understanding is that HOTS was billed from the start to be a more casual, streamlined version of MOBA's that you could drop in and play without a lot of issues. Basically what Hearthstone was to MTG. It was slowly building a playerbase up and probably would have been profitable for Blizzard, but they just couldn't be bothered.

For a long time DOTA was the big boy pants version of the game. The spells were all bigger, the mechanics more complex, the economy bigger and so on, and I think out of all of them it is the best and most fun to play. LOL was rushed (And I do mean rushed, they built the client on Adobe Air) onto the scene to grab up as many players as possible, and was the more accessible MOBA -denying wasn't a thing, the lanes and jungle were simplified, everyone could take a flash spell for free- but as noted up in the thread, has devolved into a rigid, dogmatic ideal of the 3 lanes, and become horribly complex and toxic.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    That just goes to highlight how it was destined to fail though; they wanted it to be competitive, but they designed it to be casual. And hey, casual is fine, I'm not dunking on it, but as far as capturing eyes and making it a mind game it has nowhere to go by comparison.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    For the event, viper and winter wyvern are pretty dang good
    someone should make a tier list

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I like Weaver a lot because of the "many threads" talent.

I don't remember the names of the talents, but on one run I had the one that turns your bugs into fatal bonds and the one that applies your bugs on shukuchi, and it nearly crashed my game when we got to the chicken gold segment. Our team got like 8k gold on that level.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    I like Weaver a lot because of the "many threads" talent.

I don't remember the names of the talents, but on one run I had the one that turns your bugs into fatal bonds and the one that applies your bugs on shukuchi, and it nearly crashed my game when we got to the chicken gold segment. Our team got like 8k gold on that level.

Oh wow I missed those, those sound awesome. Many threads is your germinate attack spreads to additional targets, which cleans up things like trees from Timber boss and mini rocks from the Tiny boss super easy.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Going to Twitch just now, there's a DotA 2 tournament on the front page and it had me realizing I don't have any Dota-centric channels followed here.

Aside from ogadotapit does anyone have recommendations of Twitch channels that reliably (and with good quality, no shitty problematic commentary / commentators) cover pro DotA 2 matches?

Edit - The more tournament focused the better.

Henroid on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    BeyondTheSummit does a bunch of them.

I think it depends on what organization runs the tournament for what twitch channel will show it.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    H0b0man wrote: »
    BeyondTheSummit does a bunch of them.

I think it depends on what organization runs the tournament for what twitch channel will show it.
    That makes sense. Looks like that's what this channel is.

It's really funny; the current round just ended and the commentators cut to their webcams. One of them doesn't make their bed.

It's Alliance vs OG at the moment, lower bracket finals. Currently 1-1 in a BO3. Currently on a break between rounds.

edit - LMFAO he made his bed.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Found on reddit, a site that gives the Aghanim's Labyrinth map winrates

urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Labyrinth is a lot of fun.

Needing to queue 2 or 3 times to get into a match with people who are actually awake and at their keyboards, less fun.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Just fired up Dota for the first time in about 5 years because, hey, we're going back into lockdown and I'm gonna need a timesink.

Holy crap, it's different, I don't remember how to do anything, there are a million game modes. and the interface is crazy now. The shop is a labyrinthine pile of confusion with tiny writing. But everyone gets a courier now, so yay!

Luckily it looks like my MMR has reset and I have to re-do my placements (are there seasons?!) because there is absolutely no way I can go back and play at the MMR I was at 5 years ago.

I feel like I've never played the game before. Did my first two matches, got absolutely creamed, and also chewed out by my team (I also forgot how toxic Dota players are), but I'm going to persevere until I get placed with other players of my level so I can start playing some competitive games.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    you can start with normal unranked and go from there. Dota definitely changed a whole lot over 5 years, its probably a good idea to stick to a small hero pool/lane preference and pick up some of the meta gaming aspect as well

There's definitely more content than normal but it should subside soon when the International pass ends in a couple of weeks

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I still hate the new jungle drops items system.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I went 1-9 in my placements, all very bad stomps, and somehow ended up in Guardian 3 which like... that was the rank of the people that were stomping me. How does that even work...

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Clearly it knew that all the losses were totally all your teammates' faults!

• Options
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Apex Legends is taking up a ridiculous amount of my free time, such that I've barely even logged into DotA recently, and yet I'm still looking forward to Purge doing a 22 hour rundown of the notes all the same.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I was watching DumbDog do as fast a rundown of the notes as he could with some friends and it still took them like two hours.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    "Oh hey, new hero! I want to try!"

*next 6 games in a row ban Hoodwink*

Is she really that broken? Her "make a tree appear in any location, then immediately apply a ranged, huge AoE 2 second stun" did seem ridiculous.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I haven't played the game in a while but new heroes strike me as high potential for kneejerk reaction "BAN IT UNTIL WE FIGURE OUT HOW TO COUNTER IT" sort of things.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Her stun is like Sven's hammer toss with longer range, bigger AoE, slightly higher stun time, faster travel time, and reduces vision to zero while stunned. She gets Specter's movement boost and treewalk for chasing/escapes and storing 2 charges on it.

I've never seen a new hero serial banned like this though. Usually it's everyone locking them in first thing every game and you never get a chance to play.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    What the fuck am I looking at...

• Options
    Ugh. It's one thing when video games with story arcs get made into TV shows.

This is cynical promotion and blaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    "So what's this game about?"

"Well in this game, Zeus and Satan have teamed up with dark elf femLegolas, ginger femAragorn, and a vaguely racist caricature of an African medicine man."

"What's that thing that's killing all of them?"

"Someone's porcupine fursona from 2006, and he's got a cold"

"Huh."

"Yeah, he's my favorite."

• Options
    Another teaser
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4z0Ozm6ddw
    My interest level is turned up to 8
    Also we're missing one hero

urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Do we know that's a hero? It could be a creep, or a refresher orb, or Gabe Newell.

• Options
    clearly a pos 5 pudge

urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    When this comes out I'm looking forward to a bunch of edits of it where people overlay game sounds and a chat log. Every time a hero screws up, all the other heroes ping them, etc.

• Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    Newspost about the new player experience. Also the announcement that 7.29 will launch the Friday after the Singapore major and will include a new hero.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Probably the most important update for Dota 2 that I've seen in years.
    Starting today, smurfing will be a bannable offense. We will primarily focus on new accounts created after today for which we have high confidence in their smurfing and game-ruining behavior. Moreover, we will also occasionally manually ban old pre-existing accounts that are clearly game-ruining. Furthermore, if you are found to be selling accounts, boosting or engaged in similar game ruining behaviors, your primary account may also be subject to a ban. To go along with this, we've recently increased our ban rate for boosters and purchased accounts.

It's actually amazing. That and queueing up new players with only other new players for games until they feel comfortable are great changes.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Damn, that's a huge change and a long time coming.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Newspost about the new player experience. Also the announcement that 7.29 will launch the Friday after the Singapore major and will include a new hero.

Anyone know if it's possible to reset an account to do the new player experience? It's a fun question in light of the "ban players for smurfing" promise above, but I haven't played dota 2 in so long that my base skill level at this point would be "I have a general familiarity with how mobas work."

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy