As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

FALL GUYS is going to be the biggest esport.

facetiousfacetious a wit so dryit shits sandRegistered User regular
edited August 2020 in Social Entropy++
This game came out today. It's fun. Discuss.

Fall-Guys-Ultimate-Knockout-Main-Art-Logo.jpg

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
facetious on

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I’ve gotten to final round three times now, once with the hexagons and twice with the tail tag, and I just can’t put the win away

game fun

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've made the finals three times, each with Hex-a-gone and lost badly each time. It's not my game.

I'm exponentially better at the racing games.

Real strong, facetious.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I won my first game

every game since has lost connection to the server :(

Matchmaking currently offline and being worked on, hopefully up soon. They clearly did not expect anywhere NEAR the number of players they're getting day 1.

Seriously if they decide to promote it I think this could legitimately be a huge esport.

Real strong, facetious.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I love this so much already and I haven't even come close to winning since my first try, where the whirlygig stage accidentally helped me win and then my MXC love kicked in for Door Dash and Dizzy Heights

10/10, definitely my fav game in a long time

Matchmaking on Steam back up!

Real strong, facetious.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My armchair game designer reflex proposes that tail-based games should be converted from "possess a tail at the end of the game or be eliminated" to "hold onto a tail for a total of X seconds to qualify (and remove your tail from play)". As it stands, something like the last five seconds of the game are the only ones that matter. Since players who start with a tail are naturally advantaged by this scheme, do some telemetry and find an appropriate handicap that brings "starts with tail" and "does not start with tail" back to a 50-50 winrate.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    I had the same thought, but I think both concepts can work. One of my favourite streamers, GrandPooBear, was talking about that with another streamer he was playing with, the idea of having different games with both mechanics.

Speaking of Poo, he posted a tips & tricks video that, while tongue in cheek, has good advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tov9JCk6MpA

Real strong, facetious.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Are you being facetious?

edit: Looks cool, actually.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    My last game of the night was only three rounds including the finals, that's the fewest rounds I've seen. It was I think Whirlygig, one of the races anyway, in the first round with only 30 qualifiers, then Hoopsie Daisey to bring us down to 19, and Hex-a-gone with 19 players!

As usual I failed spectacularly at Hex. :(

Real strong, facetious.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think the see saw game is my favorite one. Just so much controlled chaos and having to work with others while still being out for yourself.

Does anyone know how many games there are actually are?

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I've only crowned in one show which ended in... I don't remember the name of it, but it was basically a 4 player game of keeping the tail. Decent sized map, lots of jumps, ramps and obstacles and honestly fairly easy to keep it because of how few players there were. They didn't get wise and try to surround me from different angles, which if there had been more players, it would have traded hands more.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Kyougu wrote: »
    I think the see saw game is my favorite one. Just so much controlled chaos and having to work with others while still being out for yourself.

Does anyone know how many games there are actually are?

Door Dash, Gate Crash, Hit Parade, Whirlygig, Dizzy Heights, Jump Club, Tail Tag, Roll Out, Perfect Match, Egg Scramble, Rock n Roll, Fall Ball, Hoopsie Daisy, Fruit Chute, Slime Climb, Tip Toe, Fall Mountain, and Hex-a-Gone. Maybe more, maybe more coming

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    This game is phenomenal

I never get tired of watching my friends eat shit on the slime slide jump over and over

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Tip Toe is the funniest goddamn thing, wow I love that one

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I'm very excited to see where this game goes. So much potential.

Id love some modes just for teams. And like, closed off tournaments for just some friends. I know less people is less chaos but these courses are all so crazy anyway id love to just compete with my friends and family in a mode where maybe it awarded points for what place you come in, over the course of like 4 rounds.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This game is an utter delight. Just a big dumb goofy grin of a time. Got to the finals a few times, but my inability to grab the dang tail foiled me each time.

Them putting this on PS+ was a genius move.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I am just dogshit at See Saw

Eating shit every jump

liEt3nH.png
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    25 games is number I see and hear when people playing this game discuss it. I enjoy watching people play it a lot.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Got my first crown

90% of team games should be eliminated with predjudice

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    The Rocket League game is good, the push the ball through an obstacle course is good, the Egg collection game is good, Jinxed is Mediocre, Hoarders is not good, the tail games are bad.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    got to the last round last night and got the tail stolen from me with less than a second on the clock

the most devastating loss i've ever suffered in my LIFE

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Fall ball would be a better game if the arena was half the size it is

As it stands it's a bunch of people who never played rocket league chasing the ball around like kindergarteners for 2 minutes before scoring an own goal

WeedLordVegeta on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    My first win came from the tail game. I snagged it and survived for 21 seconds.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This game has created a feeling I've never felt before.

Where I got to the finals and got the hexagon game and I came in second and I KNOW WHAT IM DOING NOW so next time I will CERTAINLY win and the pressure building to get that far and then get the hexagon game and then PROVE it is constantly mounting and I am going to explode.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    this game makes me do those little effort noises and controller jerks that six year olds do when they're trying to make Mario jump just that little bit higher

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Some of these maps would do with a little more chaos and mayhem introduced to them.

If they're going for the spirit of Takeshi's Castle/MXC or Wipeout, I get keeping it "pure", but fuck it.

Let there be a few columns on the tail maps with a randomly spawning 5 second speed boost or a ball to pick up and throw at someone for a knockdown.

Put speed tiles on the soccer field map.

A few conveyor belts or whirlygigs with rotating arms in Egg Scramble or Rock and Roll.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

I do think most of the maps are pretty solid off the bat

but I am very curious to see where it goes in a couple months

edited August 2020
    Some of these maps would do with a little more chaos and mayhem introduced to them.

The one where there are three teams trying to guard / steal eggs is complete chaos. It's also my least liked one because it feels like I have the least control over it.

Bizazedo on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It also depends when the maps are used.

See Saw in the third round vs. See Saw in the first round are really different.

Tail Swap with 7 people left is insanely intense.

edited August 2020
    I was so proud winning my first game of Tail Swap by taking a tail with 10 seconds left and bolting

Way less proud of the egg stealing game where one team dominated, I huddled in my corner with my team's only egg left and it went to triple-overtime until the other team we were tied with at 1 sent two people to bully me shoving me back and forth till I gave it up

This game is amazing

Sweeney Tom on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I want to play this but I can see myself getting way too into it and I don't need to be mad at video games again. Its a HELL of a lot of fun to watch, though.

I think Hoopsie Daisy is my favourite team game, though it's probably the most luck based of all the games with where the hoops spawn.

Real strong, facetious.

edited August 2020
    Bizazedo wrote: »

The one where there are three teams trying to guard / steal eggs is complete chaos. It's also my least liked one because it feels like I have the least control over it.

The ones where your individual efforts seem vague or pointless are the worst — the egg holding one and the ball hoarding one

I'd like those changed or removed. They don't seem fun at all. You can't do much to directly contribute at all.

Evil Multifarious on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    been saying it everywhere else so I'll say it here

this game has exactly one bad game, and it's Perfect Match

why the hell is there a slow, elementary school level memory test in this slapstick obstacle course game

Omg I just won my first one!

I feel SO POWERFUL

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    been saying it everywhere else so I'll say it here

this game has exactly one bad game, and it's Perfect Match

why the hell is there a slow, elementary school level memory test in this slapstick obstacle course game

Perfect Match always feels like a waste of a event when it comes up. Every time I've done it barely any people have been eliminated, if any, and you can usually just follow the crowd and win if you don't want to pay attention.

They need to change something about it. Maybe make the platforms shrink as the game goes on so you can't get everybody all on one tile, but it's pretty bad as it is.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I kinda like the bad games because it makes Fall Guys feel even more like "Mario Party without a board"

I just had my first win! 8 left in Fall Mountain, I got super bad luck with the balls, but fortunately the person in first bounced off the crown without grabbing it, then the next couple jumped as it was going up and missed, so I, coming up to the top in like 4th or 5th, was able to grab it when it came back down lol.

Real strong, facetious.