As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    this has been a great game if you hate defending

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    As good as this one? Or is posting Kitto at left back cheating?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTOFtfrVXmo

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Turned it off after Pulisics injury.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Turned it off after Pulisics injury.

I turned it off after my Chelsea bias convinced me the ref was bought (non Chelsea fans might think the second yellow but true Chelsea fans know it was 3/4 through the first half and fighting through to the end). I get this is pure crazy fan bias but in concert with how bad Chelsea played I knew the Gods were angry. My current view is God hates American soccer and who could blame Him. I shake my fist at God but I've been doing that my whole life with little effect. I am angry with God but still I pray that Pulisic can actually be a mostly non injured player. He's really the best American outfield player I've ever seen in my life.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Seems like a lot of ire in here.

Feels like a pretty damn good day to me! :)

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Oh hey, champions league starting up again this weekend, looking forward to watching it on *checks notes* CBS all access, with a random bone thrown to CBS sports network?

Welp, fuck that noise. Ugh

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What's the matter? Don't want to watch the shitty shows CBS makes you pay for?

build a statue of antonio conte outside old trafford

Bogart wrote: »
    He was on 560K a week? Fuckin hell.

apparently the base salary was just under 400k and then it would go up to 560k dependent on appearances

according to Fabrizio, this is going to save United 60 million quid

genuinely think this might be the second worst transfer ever after ali dia

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What happened?

What happened?

his legs are shot from playing for basically six years in a row with no breaks

2012/13 - 45+ games for Barca, world cup qualifiers for Chile
    2013/14 - 50+ games for Barca, 2014 World Cup
    2014/15 - 50+ games for Arsenal, 2015 Copa America
    2015/16 - 40+ games for Arsenal, Copa America Centenario
    2016/17 - 50+ games for Arsenal, Confederations Cup
    2017/18 - 40+ games for Arsenal/United

for some reason Woodward and Mou thought it'd be a fucking genius move to sign him to United on a 4 and a half year, £25 million annual salary deal. When he was in Italy with Inter paying a chunk of his wages, he was still the highest paid player in the premier league and his wages were a huge millstone around united's neck. Freeing up his wages would pay for someone like Van de Beek or a big chunk of Grealish, who are the two players United are most linked with outside of Sancho

he's doing well in Italy but the game is slower there, he's not really being punished for losing his yard of pace like he was in the PL

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Does go to show, doesn't it, that some teams are just so fucking loaded that they can afford to have a player whose wages are amongst the highest in the league, but who never get on the pitch

More money than sense and all that

Solar wrote: »
    Does go to show, doesn't it, that some teams are just so fucking loaded that they can afford to have a player whose wages are amongst the highest in the league, but who never get on the pitch

i think that's why there's a feel good factor around United at the minute despite having their second worst PL points total ever

it feels like there's a cohesive transfer strategy and a push towards having a distinct style of play, as opposed to the LVG and Mou years where it felt like there was just expensive stopgaps (lol di maria) being signed to plug holes

it also feels like the wage bill is being brought into check, which was an issue when you have someone shite earning over twice as much as the rest of most of the team

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Brentford share ownership with FC Midtjylland, our biggest competitor currently in the Danish league, and there's been a lot of speculation that if Brentford get promoted, Midtjylland will get a financial boost as well, plus access to just-about-PL level players that might not otherwise have considered a Danish club. As such...
    Hehehehehehehehe, oh geez that Brentford keeper.

euj90n71sojo.png
    i just cannot believe how much Brentford bottled promotion

also Mitrovic shoulda been sent off and instead assisted the second goal lmao

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    No one should ever be sent off for anything involving Marcondes. He's a sneaky little wind-up merchant and I'm honestly surprised a trip to the Championship hasn't, possibly literally, beat it out of him yet.

Also, that'd be FC Copenhagen beating the Turkish champions 3-0 at home and getting into an EL quarterfinal against Manchester United, thank you very much. Assuming Man Utd can get past LASK. 5-0 is the most dangerous lead, as we all know.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

i think that's why there's a feel good factor around United at the minute despite having their second worst PL points total ever

it feels like there's a cohesive transfer strategy and a push towards having a distinct style of play, as opposed to the LVG and Mou years where it felt like there was just expensive stopgaps (lol di maria) being signed to plug holes

it also feels like the wage bill is being brought into check, which was an issue when you have someone shite earning over twice as much as the rest of most of the team

From what has been reported his wages caused so much friction with the rest of the squad it was one of the reasons the likes of De Gea, Martial etc wanted exits from the club unless United matched the wages. In addition, I know with some potential transfers United had listed fell apart because they also wanted similar wages to match.

The other is as you say, that with previous transfer policies that other big European clubs could offload expensive players they wanted rid of straight to Manchester United regardless of if that player wanted to play for the club or not.

The turning point was the fall through on Dybala and Eriksen transfers IMO. Once the club statement of They only want players who want to play for the club came out you knew the club was finally getting things right.

z8dmsfjl3vi0.png
    Ole : "Anthony asked, he begged to come into the game because there were spaces and he also promised a goal."

LOOK AT OLE'S FACE

Just three more wins and we’re in the Champion’s League!

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I don't imagine I'll say this often in my life but hala Madrid!

They're apparently offer a free month trial, which should get me through the champions league final, so could be worse.

varane oh no what are you doing

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I don't imagine I'll say this often in my life but hala Madrid!

Serves me right

edited August 2020
    Pellaeon wrote: »

They're apparently offer a free month trial, which should get me through the champions league final, so could be worse.

It's a trap!

Santa Claustrophobia on
    Pellaeon wrote: »

It's a trap!

I know, now that I can watch big brother anywhere how could I possibly cancel this fantastic service?!

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

...gargled?

...gargled?

Defeated by Smurfs.

...gargled?

Defeated by Smurfs.

Damn, definitely don’t click play on that injury replay

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

...gargled?

Pissed I assume

...gargled?

Pissed I assume

aye rumour is he's not injured, he went to Ibiza and has to self-isolate for two weeks on return

apparently the club rep copied the team news from a whatsapp message and didn't realise the joke was in it

#pirlo

Ok I think it’s a cat

But has its face been smushed from a few unlucky challenges?

Is it passing a big ol poo?

Or is it the sun?

Are those ears or whales diving under water?

It’s magnificent

This discussion has been closed.