As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E Discussion] This is the way 5E ends. Not with a bang but a gnome mindflayer.

1939495969799»

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Banish, not dispel magic.

Seconding this and otherwise agree the elemental probably should disappear if you voluntarily end the spell.

But, by RAW:
    The following factors can
    break concentration:
    • Casting another spell that requires concentration.

So by RAW casting another concentration spell actively breaks your concentration, so a particularly brutal/hard mode DM could call for a Con save to basically "end the spell safely." But I don't think there's any particular reason to do that unless it's a hardmode game or the DM wants to be particularly brutal for some reason (especially if you're on some sort of elemental plane, for instance).

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So I'm building a conjuration wizard and I've got a few questions.

First, Conjure Elemental states "the elemental disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends". The duration is said to be "concentration, one hour", so I'm assuming the elemental disappears when I end my concentration.

However, it also says "if your concentration is broken, the elemental doesn't disappear. Instead, you lose control of the elemental, it becomes hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. An uncontrolled elemental can't be dismissed by you, and it disappears 1 hour after you summoned it."

The specific term "broken" leads me to believe that if I voluntarily end my concentration the elemental will disappear, but if my concentration is broken involuntarily the elemental will remain for the entire hour. Am I right here?

In the event that my concentration is broken and the elemental goes out of control, could Dispel Magic get rid of it?

No. Dispel magic ends an effect on a creature, object, or area.

Conjure elemental does not produce an effect on a creature, object, or area. You might consider a dispel magic enough to break the control of the caster though, pending a roll. As that could be considered a magical effect effecting the elemental. Though I suppose so could whatever is binding it to the plane that would cause it to be returned in an hour.

Can I get a “goddamnit natural language is fucking things up again!”?!

That being said. Conjure elemental isn’t that great. It costs a full minute to cast. So its not something you’re going to do in the vast majority of situations.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Bare in mind that at level 10 Conjuration Wizards can no longer lose concentration on conjuration spells from taking damage - which is pretty nifty considering it seems like 90% of conjuration spells require concentration.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Bare in mind that at level 10 Conjuration Wizards can no longer lose concentration on conjuration spells from taking damage - which is pretty nifty considering it seems like 90% of conjuration spells require concentration.

Unfortunately, my character is only 9th-level Conjuration Wizard atm.

However, I notice the spell says that the elemental becomes "hostile" and it "might attack." Maybe I just need to talk down the elemental in the case that this happens.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

However, I notice the spell says that the elemental becomes "hostile" and it "might attack." Maybe I just need to talk down the elemental in the case that this happens.

That's actually harder then it sounds since elementals aren't exactly sentient in the conventional sense though it's certainly aware enough of it's status to know that you yanked it out of it's plane and then mind controlled it to do your bidding.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    This is a cross-post because I forgot we just had a thread for this system.

In the near future (two weeks?) I would like to run a little play by post game of D&D 5E on this forum. I’m only using 5E as an accessible base, it’s not important that you know much about the system.

It’ll be a dungeon crawl to the death!

All I want are 1st level characters of any reasonable race and class.

The rules will be altered as follows:
    1. You don’t roll to hit. Everything always hits. That’s melee, ranged and spells.
    2. Shields and armour provide extra HP, since there is no AC.
    3. Every time anything takes damage I’ll roll on a table of injuries.

You can help or hinder whoever you come across as you disable traps, slay monsters and solve puzzles, but only the first to the middle of the dungeon wins!

Potentially all participants will die!

Leave an agree on this post if you’re interested. Play by post is slow, so I reckon it’d take two weeks to complete.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    You can help or hinder whoever you come across

Can I help a party member into a trap? ;P

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Yes, actually!

There won’t be any parties until you make them. Everyone will start alone at the outer edge of the dungeon. It’s up to your own character’s decision as to how they interact with others making the delve!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

First, Conjure Elemental states "the elemental disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends". The duration is said to be "concentration, one hour", so I'm assuming the elemental disappears when I end my concentration.

However, it also says "if your concentration is broken, the elemental doesn't disappear. Instead, you lose control of the elemental, it becomes hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. An uncontrolled elemental can't be dismissed by you, and it disappears 1 hour after you summoned it."

The specific term "broken" leads me to believe that if I voluntarily end my concentration the elemental will disappear, but if my concentration is broken involuntarily the elemental will remain for the entire hour. Am I right here?

In the event that my concentration is broken and the elemental goes out of control, could Dispel Magic get rid of it?

The spell specifies what happens when concentration is broken, that is what happens when concentration is broken - whether you're breaking it willingly or something causes it to break, it's still broken.
    Goumindong wrote: »

No. Dispel magic ends an effect on a creature, object, or area.

Conjure elemental does not produce an effect on a creature, object, or area. You might consider a dispel magic enough to break the control of the caster though, pending a roll. As that could be considered a magical effect effecting the elemental. Though I suppose so could whatever is binding it to the plane that would cause it to be returned in an hour.

Can I get a “goddamnit natural language is fucking things up again!”?!

That being said. Conjure elemental isn’t that great. It costs a full minute to cast. So its not something you’re going to do in the vast majority of situations.

The elemental is under the effects of the "Conjure Elemental" spell, dispelling it would end that spell. The spell says what happens to the elemental when the spell ends. Creatures that are summoned by spells are only incapable of being Dispelled if the duration of the spell is "instantaneous"
    sgICwxS.png

That puts you entirely into the DM's ballpark

for my part, it depends on the elemental's alignment. If it's not a fire elemental its probably just going to leave, but if you're in a constructed building, or a place water can't escape from, earth or water might start attacking you

override367 on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    alternatively, because you dispelled the spell that whole passage about what happens to it when the spell ends doesn't apply anymore.
    There's now a rogue fire elemental on the loose!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    evilthecat wrote: »
    alternatively, because you dispelled the spell that whole passage about what happens to it when the spell ends doesn't apply anymore.
    There's now a rogue fire elemental on the loose!

That's how I do it. In fact, the spell never ends if you lose concentration on it for any reason in my game. You can just shit elementals out if you want to, it makes it an extra unpredictable and risky spell!

Same thing for Conjure Fey, Conjure Celestial, Summon Greater Demon, and Infernal Calling

I had a player like "so I can fill my mansion with Succubi?" and I'm like, yeah go nuts. That will work out great for you (my enthusiasm with his plan stopped him from doing it)

*In my current SKT game they have a bank vault full of Maw Demons where they have a legendary item kept

override367 on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    After finishing the newest Drizzt books I'm extra happy with that interpretation because that's how it is in the books and it's a real pain in the ass for everyone

A drow matron complaining that another matron summoned demons went something like this:

"Quenthel has filled the streets with demons!"
    "So what, we are Drow, we will deal with them when they bother our houses"
    "Yes but she keeps summoning more of them!"
    "Worse than that, the demons are now gating in more demons, some are even summoning in demons that themselves are capable of summoning demons"
    "This could be a real problem"

override367 on
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Let's say your group gets a ring of regeneration (slow hp restore to whomever had it attuned, not really for in-combat). It's a low magic items game, and a few extra survival mechanics are in place (long rests don't give back full hp unless they are in an actual comfortable place of safety i.e. never in wilderness or dungeons). Spend hit dice only. Fights feel real scary with this btw.

The party is
    High con barbarian with a 2 hander that ends up "tanking" most of the time via rage charges
    Medium con monk dps stacking dex
    Medium con druid that fights at rage and uses wildshape charges to summon a fire elemental instead
    A melee rogue with little con that seems to get one-shotted a lot
    A rogue/wizard that mixes up casting and timing into melee that had negative con

Who should wear said ring if you are metagaming this?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Whomever regularly runs out of hit dice.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any links to articles / essays discussing D&D 5e's balancing with regards to resource management throughout an adventuring day, and how it compares to earlier editions? Or you can write all about it if you're in the mood.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.