As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Larry Nassar, USA Gymnastics, and Michigan State : Sports Abuse Scandals

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Not a good week for my alma mater.

Thread. University admin were told repeatedly that a bigwig was sexually harassing his subordinates, sleeping with some of them, threatening retaliation if they revealed any of it, and actually retaliating in some cases. Kept promoting him until eventually he was provost. Finally fired him a few months ago.

Goddam that is some ugly bullshit. So many people willing to let things slide as long as it doesn't interfere with their power & privilege. Disgusting.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Not a good week for my alma mater.

Thread. University admin were told repeatedly that a bigwig was sexually harassing his subordinates, sleeping with some of them, threatening retaliation if they revealed any of it, and actually retaliating in some cases. Kept promoting him until eventually he was provost. Finally fired him a few months ago.

Goddam that is some ugly bullshit. So many people willing to let things slide as long as it doesn't interfere with their power & privilege. Disgusting.

Academia has massive issues with sexual harassment stemming from the rather toxic cultures fostered there.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Klages got three months.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Klages got three months.

That's a shameful slap on the wrist.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If it's any consolation, it's starting to push the culture of abuse of young athletes into spotlight around the world. Japan for instance has such an abusive athletic culture that it frequently leads to suicide.
    I was hit so many times, I can’t count ... we were all called to the coach and I was hit in the face in front of everyone. I was bleeding, but he did not stop hitting me. I did say that my nose was bleeding, but he did not stop.

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Is the American Ninja Warrior stuff valid for this thread?
    ‘American Ninja Warrior’ Cuts Ties With Drew Drechsel Amid Child Sex Abuse Charges – Update
    Thankfully there doesn't seem to any cover up at the moment.

lunchbox12682 on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, it's starting to push the culture of abuse of young athletes into spotlight around the world. Japan for instance has such an abusive athletic culture that it frequently leads to suicide.
    I was hit so many times, I can’t count ... we were all called to the coach and I was hit in the face in front of everyone. I was bleeding, but he did not stop hitting me. I did say that my nose was bleeding, but he did not stop.

Honestly, It's the mere tip of the iceberg when it comes to athletics and sport in general and abuse.

When I was 15/16 I was a sprinter and I was very good. I joined a leading club and entered many competitions nationally and internationally. At one point I was equaling the UK national records set for my age group over 100m/ 200m. During my time I can tell you that the whole culture and system over athletics and its core was completely rotten. I met some amazing athletes and friends there but the coaching, the culture, the physical and mental abuse given to basically children drove me to hate a sport I loved since I was 5.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    @lunchbox12682 you've got a broken link there

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    @lunchbox12682 you've got a broken link there

Fixed.
    Thanks.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Japan has an issue with the generalized concept of work/life balance in a lot of areas. I'm not surprised that adding the highly competitive world of sports on top of that turns things to hell.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    From USA Today, we have horrific conditions on the Texas Tech women's basketball team:
    The first player in the Texas Tech women’s basketball locker room on Monday mornings texted a picture to the rest of the team.

Stomachs churning, sweat glands in overdrive, the players glanced at their phones and the image of a floor-to-ceiling dry-erase board. It displayed what they knew to be the bottom line: results from wearable heart-rate monitors mandated for every game, practice and workout. Names scribbled near the top, beside the black-marker box, announced “MADE.” At the bottom, written in red marker, names were declared “OFF.”

“OFF” was a list of players whose heart rate had supposedly dropped below 90% capacity for more than two minutes of game time.

Fail to keep up, and players had to answer to coach Marlene Stollings and her staff. Playing time might suffer. Conditioning assignments were likely.

“It was basically like a torture mechanism,” Erin DeGrate, who transferred to Baylor in 2019, told USA TODAY Sports. “I feel like the system wasn’t supposed to be used how she was using it.”
    USA TODAY Sports collaborated with The Intercollegiate, a college sports investigative media outlet that obtained Texas Tech’s exit interviews with players from the past two seasons via public records requests. In addition to reviewing those documents and others, USA TODAY Sports interviewed 10 players, two former assistant coaches and two parents about the program. Six of the players spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation.

Among the claims:

■ The emphasis on maintaining an elevated heart rate during play drove two players to eschew taking over-the-counter painkillers in an effort to use the pain to keep their heart rates spiked.

■ The three international players on rosters the past two seasons allegedly faced treatment such as being ridiculed, isolated and threatened by coaches. Brazil native Marcella LaMark said Stollings told LaMark her fitness lagged so far behind teammates that she was “dangerous” to them.

■ Emma Merriweather, a 6-5 center, said she was admonished by coaches for displaying symptoms of depression, for which she was eventually diagnosed. She was also allegedly told by assistant coach Nikita Lowry Dawkins to snap a rubber band on her wrist when she had a negative thought.

■ Five players alleged strength and conditioning coach Ralph Petrella sexually harassed players, making suggestive comments to one player and using a therapy technique that involved applying pressure to some players’ chests and pubic bones and groins. Petrella, who denies any misconduct, resigned in March after the season.

■ Three players said Stollings retaliated by holding tougher practices after they brought abuse claims to school officials, including Judi Henry, executive senior associate athletic director and senior women’s administrator.

In good news, though, Texas Tech realized the incoming shitstorm and fired the coach involved in response to the story.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    ...in addition to being abusive that doesn't even make any SENSE. The thing you're likely to do there is cut your best in shape players and encourage useless waste of energy. o.O

edited February 2021
    Michigan AG Dana Nessel announced charges against John Geddert today.

24 charges:
    1 charge of lying to police re: Nassar
    1 charge of racketeering
    1 charge of 2nd degree sexual assault
    1 charge of 1st degree sexual assault
    20 charges of human trafficking and forced labor

I can't find the charging document to figure out exactly what the allegations for trafficking are, but I don't think it's sexual. I think it's more intimidating tactics and other bullshit to keep girls at his gym where they could get him prestige reading the stories.

EDIT: Found them and they are vague.
    On or about 2008-2009, John Geddert did knowingly subject or attempt to subject another person, to forced
    labor or services by causing or threatening to cause physical harm to another person and it caused another
    person injury

Not the detailed evidence charging documents, I guess.

enlightenedbum on

24 charges:
    1 charge of racketeering

I can't find the charging document to figure out exactly what the allegations for trafficking are, but I don't think it's sexual. I think it's more intimidating tactics and other bullshit to keep girls at his gym where they could get him prestige reading the stories.

On or about 2008-2009, John Geddert did knowingly subject or attempt to subject another person, to forced
    labor or services by causing or threatening to cause physical harm to another person and it caused another
    person injury

So who was this in the whole scheme of things there in Michigan?

24 charges:
    1 charge of racketeering

person injury

So who was this in the whole scheme of things there in Michigan?

John Geddert was the coach at Twistars gym and also worked with the national team. He was a physically/verbally/mentally abusive asshole in all the worst hardass coach ways. Example of forcing a girl to vomit when she ate French Fries, rubbing her face in it, and making her clean them up while the other girls were forced to watch. Unsurprisingly, this broke the girls' psyche. His best buddy and gym doctor, Larry Nassar, would conveniently be right there to be the good cop and win the girls' trust.

edited February 2021
    enlightenedbum on
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Well, alright then. May the world be a slightly better place.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Apparently thats his way of turning himself in, as that's what the AG office was originally reporting a couple of hours ago. That they'd filed the motions and he was preparing to surrender himself.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited February 2021

Apparently thats his way of turning himself in, as that's what the AG office was originally reporting a couple of hours ago. That they'd filed the motions and he was preparing to surrender himself.

He knew that it was over - that nobody was going to protect him from facing accountability for his abuses.

Edit: More to the point, Geddert was a tyrant, whose reputation protected him from facing accountability. But with his reputation in tatters - he had surrendered Twistars and was out of coaching - along with it being the state AG filing the charges against him, he knew that he was facing real prison time, and nobody was going to bat for him. Given both the charges and his notoriety, he was likely facing administrative segregation (a.k.a. being literally tortured to keep him alive.)

AngelHedgie on

He knew that it was over - that nobody was going to protect him from facing accountability for his abuses.

Edit: More to the point, Geddert was a tyrant, whose reputation protected him from facing accountability. But with his reputation in tatters - he had surrendered Twistars and was out of coaching - along with it being the state AG filing the charges against him, he knew that he was facing real prison time, and nobody was going to bat for him. Given both the charges and his notoriety, he was likely facing administrative segregation (a.k.a. being literally tortured to keep him alive.)

Also he gets to deny his victims real justice.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Also he gets to deny his victims real justice.

Yep. Is also the ultimate escape from consequences, since the laws of men can't follow where he's going.

On the plus side, he's 100% going downstairs.

TryCatcher on
    Nessel's use of human trafficking charges bring up some good points:
    Ms. Nessel had planned a new legal strategy in charging Mr. Geddert with human trafficking. The term refers not only to sexual exploitation but to coerced labor of any kind, and Ms. Nessel charged that Geddert had “subjected his athletes to forced labor or services under extreme conditions that contributed to them suffering injuries and harm.” The charge was added in an effort designed to stop coaches and other people in power in gymnastics from abusing young athletes who might be too intimidated or frightened to speak out.

John Manly, a lawyer for victims of Mr. Geddert and Mr. Nassar, said the human trafficking charges could deter other coaches from abusing, or continuing to abuse, their athletes.

“It’s an important step in child protection,” Mr. Manly said in a phone interview. “It tells the other John Gedderts that if you do this, you will be held accountable.”

Ouleye Ndoye, who serves on the board of directors of Wellspring Living, a shelter based in Atlanta for people who have been trafficked, said she thought the alleged crimes fit the “force, fraud and coercion” elements that define trafficking.

Basically, the point is to say to coaches that abusing their athletes is not "tough love", but a crime, one they can be held accountable for.

Aly Raisman is a two time Olympian.
    As a minor on the National Team, I frequently had to travel (without my parents) under the supervision of USA Gymnastics. The “responsible” adults included John Geddert, Marvin Sharpe, Steve Penny, and Larry Nassar.

Respectively, the criminal offenses they have been charged with include Criminal Sexual Conduct and Racketeering, Child Molesting, Destroying Evidence, and Sexual assault.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

Aly Raisman is a two time Olympian.
    As a minor on the National Team, I frequently had to travel (without my parents) under the supervision of USA Gymnastics. The “responsible” adults included John Geddert, Marvin Sharpe, Steve Penny, and Larry Nassar.

Respectively, the criminal offenses they have been charged with include Criminal Sexual Conduct and Racketeering, Child Molesting, Destroying Evidence, and Sexual assault.

This makes me ill.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    USC has entered into a $1.1B settlement over sexual abuse by George Tyndall:
    The University of Southern California has agreed to pay more than $1 billion in settlements to those who accused former student health center gynecologist George Tyndall of repeated sexual assaults on female patients.

A Los Angeles County Superior Court approved a deal Thursday that would give 710 women who alleged that they were abused by Tyndall an $852 million settlement. That is in addition to a $215 million settlement that was given final approval last year as part of a different federal class action lawsuit.

Tyndall was arrested in 2019 and charged with 18 counts of sexual penetration and 11 counts of sexual battery by fraud in cases involving multiple young women. Prosecutors also charged him with five counts of sexual penetration of an unconscious person and one count of sexual battery by fraud last year.

Good. The money will never make up for the damage done, but we are obliged to do what we can to help these women.

College track coach tricked athletes into sending him nudes of themselves:
    Waithe allegedly engaged in a scheme to dupe female Northeastern University track and field athletes into sending him nude or semi-nude photos of themselves.

Waithe contacted the alleged victims through social media accounts, said he had found compromising photos of them online and offered to “help” get the photos removed from the internet. He allegedly asked for additional nude or semi-nude photos that he could purportedly use for “reverse image searches.”

Officials allege he also cyberstalked one female Northeastern student-athlete through messages sent via social media, an anonymized phone number and intrusion into her Snapchat account.

Under the premise of an “athlete research” or “body development” study, it is alleged that Waithe emailed prospective victims using the personas of “Katie Janovich” and/or “Kathryn Svoboda.”

That is especially scummy behavior.

College track coach tricked athletes into sending him nudes of themselves:
    Waithe allegedly engaged in a scheme to dupe female Northeastern University track and field athletes into sending him nude or semi-nude photos of themselves.

Waithe contacted the alleged victims through social media accounts, said he had found compromising photos of them online and offered to “help” get the photos removed from the internet. He allegedly asked for additional nude or semi-nude photos that he could purportedly use for “reverse image searches.”

Officials allege he also cyberstalked one female Northeastern student-athlete through messages sent via social media, an anonymized phone number and intrusion into her Snapchat account.

Under the premise of an “athlete research” or “body development” study, it is alleged that Waithe emailed prospective victims using the personas of “Katie Janovich” and/or “Kathryn Svoboda.”

That is especially scummy behavior.

Once again illustrating that it's not about the sex, it's all about the power and control over another person.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    This is a minor thing I guess, but I'm not super pleased with the usage of the word 'dupe' in that article.

vRyue2p.png
    Legal fees are consuming more and more of the budgets of US olympic organizations.

I don't think it will shock anyone here to find out that across the wide spectrum of olympic sports, support organizations are piling up more and more legal fees as they defending themselves against allegations of exploitation and sexual abuse.
    US Equestrian reported paying $1.63 million in legal fees from December 2016 to November 2019, during which time it faced mounting allegations of failing to protect young athletes from predator coaches. The organization, which was dealt its latest child sexual abuse lawsuit last week, did not respond to a request for comment.

The US Bowling Congress, which has faced multiple lawsuits from individuals who claimed to have been victimized by their coaches when they were minors, reported paying its outside counsel $1.77 million from 2016 to 2019. In March, the organization agreed to a $750,000 settlement with one plaintiff, who said he was sexually abused by Ty Lee Treddenbarger, a former coach who is currently serving a 25-year prison sentence for the production of child pornography. The USBC received a $1.69 million Paycheck Protection Program loan last April.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/magazine/gymnastics-abuse.html
    What If Everything We Know About Gymnastics Is Wrong?
    In the wake of a seismic scandal, Chellsie Memmel and other gymnasts are done with inhumane coaching — and the idea that they have to peak in their teens.

Basically some of the changes to gymnastics - that power is more important than ever- may make it possible to break free of the idea that peak age for gymnast is in their teens, and all the inhuman treatment of kids that pounding them into Olympic athletes while they are still children is completely not "necessary" anymore.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/magazine/gymnastics-abuse.html
    What If Everything We Know About Gymnastics Is Wrong?
    In the wake of a seismic scandal, Chellsie Memmel and other gymnasts are done with inhumane coaching — and the idea that they have to peak in their teens.

Basically some of the changes to gymnastics - that power is more important than ever- may make it possible to break free of the idea that peak age for gymnast is in their teens, and all the inhuman treatment of kids that pounding them into Olympic athletes while they are still children is completely not "necessary" anymore.

The idea that elite gymnasts need to peak in their teens is a relatively modern invention coming out of Cold War rivalry and a refusal to rethink the competition.

edited May 2021
    The WilmerHale report in Robert Anderson's abuse at Michigan is out. Haven't read it all yet, those who have say it's pretty bad for the university.

Executive summary says abuse happened from the time he was hired until he retired. At least one administrator was informed multiple times. Claimed he fired Anderson, but actually transferred him and signed off on a raise.

enlightenedbum on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    They really need to stop putting the "Fire Him" checkbox right next to the "Don't Fire Him + Give him a Raise" checkbox on the form.

Didn't read it word for word but read the "who at the university knew" section pretty carefully.

1) Was reported to Don Canham repeatedly.
    2) Was reported to Schembechler repeatedly.
    3) One football player alleged his position coach used trips to Anderson as a threatened punishment, which is by far the most disturbing allegation in the whole report.

Definitely feels time to rename Schembechler Hall and Canham Natatorium like...yesterday.

No direct allegations against Carr, who I genuinely admire and would be hurt by. But it's hard to believe he didn't know, if the amount of general talk in locker rooms throughout the 80s is accurate.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Didn't read it word for word but read the "who at the university knew" section pretty carefully.

3) One football player alleged his position coach used trips to Anderson as a threatened punishment, which is by far the most disturbing allegation in the whole report.

Definitely feels time to rename Schembechler Hall and Canham Natatorium like...yesterday.

I don't like taking the names off buildings, don't erase history. Just add to the buildings name- like how places will rename roads near embassies.

Schembechler "The Sex Abuse Enabler" Hall and Don "The Molester Support" Canham Natatorium

Put it on all the signage and shit.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    As an old Penn State fan, Paterno was rightfully nuked from existence. Salt the ground behind the enablers, and don't give any room to the new ones. Paterno was an example of someone who seemed clean, but the best defense of him was that he was incomepently unaware of the people around him.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.

I don't like taking the names off buildings, don't erase history. Just add to the buildings name- like how places will rename roads near embassies.

Schembechler "The Sex Abuse Enabler" Hall and Don "The Molester Support" Canham Natatorium

Taking a name off a building isn't erasing history, it's removing an honor.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Taking a name off a building isn't erasing history, it's removing an honor.

There's a part of me that thinks they should have their name moved to the Schembechler Memorial Urinal or Don Canham Garbage Chute, but that's just being cheeky.

Wipe out their legacy, no names on buildings or plaques or anything special. Put black tape over their names on the trophies. Make it pointed and obvious why that's the case and make sure everyone knows that's what will happen to them if it comes out they enabled this bullshit, even if it doesn't come out until a decade after they are dead and buried. The legacy is all they care about, so make sure they know it will be burned and salted if and when it ever comes out they turned a blind eye to this abuse.