As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arknights] Drillelectric Banner & Paid Anniv G5*!

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's meant to be like a zodiac, presumably.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It's meant to be like a zodiac, presumably.

Well yeah. Nian and these skins were all released for the Chinese New Year on the CN server. This 'half year' thing is the reason they made up for the other servers.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    It seems to me more like it's referencing Nian's shield/wheel looking thing that she uses in her skills, seeing as how it has 8 sections and not 12

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yellow cert shop reset let me buy out all the tickets; promptly got Nian on a ten roll!

Unfortunately I gave in to my own hubris and tried for Ch'en yet again.

Anyways, pot 3 Silverash is a thing now, I guess? Damn you dragon cop, why must you continue to evade me?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Ahh, working on 5*s feels so much nicer compared to 6*s XD

AxTCzKpl.jpg

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I did a few pulls on the Nian banner... 4 10-pulls but they were mostly rubbish.

I at least got Hung and another Croisant. Not going to chase farther though.

Yeah, after I finish E2 Saria (just 80K LMD away) I think I'm gonna work on some 5*'s again, probably Texas and Ptilopsis.

The 6* E2 grind is rough as hell.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    edited August 2020
    Are you guys watching the story segments for this event? Concerning segment 2 out of 3...
    What the heck Lava?! Is that a skin that we ever get? Or is that a different person using the same codename, since this is a prequel story? Like... Hibiscus and Lava's mom maybe?

shoeboxjeddy on
    Are you guys watching the story segments for this event? Concerning segment 2 out of 3...
    What the heck Lava?! Is that a skin that we ever get? Or is that a different person using the same codename, since this is a prequel story? Like... Hibiscus and Lava's mom maybe?

just keep reading

No, seriously, 5*s are so easy
    ZhvpekVl.jpg

Okay seriously considering farming Originium instead for awhile

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    E2 Manticore. The one good thing to come out of tragically failed Nian pulls.

o8FETQk.png

Orphane wrote: »

just keep reading

Okay that was...
    How long do they imagine this game is going to run? Why are they doing like hints of a hint to plotlines that will most likely never return? This style of writing strikes me as either egotistical or incompetent. Unless the entire Nian thing is covered in her Trust dialogues for the 2% of players who ever actually get her. So everything in that whole movie could have sort of happened, but also definitely did not happen in that specific way. So... did we learn anything? Not really. Because who knows what elements were at all canon. Did Rhodes Island deploy to Lungmen at some point in the past to fight the Nian? Does Nian have similar powers to that? Was fighting the Nian over and over again even a real thing that ever happened? Who knows.

Also, I'd still like that Lava skin. It would be a lot more thematic to the event as a free skin rather than Jessica skin #10.

I also cleared 5-10, unlocking that last event stage. The plot at this point is basically "Hey... how COOL are all these characters you don't have and we won't give you? Eh, eh???" So that's... fun.

edited August 2020
    Finished all the event stages and CMs. I did look up strats for 8 since I was attempting it and not having any luck. Turns on VanguardKnights was my key.

Got the mats worked out, just need time to M3 BluePoison S1.

I still have to replenish my LMD stores after leveling up Angelina and E2 for BluePoison. Might E2 Angelina next.

EDIT: any of you farming Loxic Kohl from the event? I've still got ~50 left from Grani's event, but I don't think I'm going to farm a bunch more out.

Feldorn on

just keep reading

Okay that was...
    How long do they imagine this game is going to run? Why are they doing like hints of a hint to plotlines that will most likely never return? This style of writing strikes me as either egotistical or incompetent. Unless the entire Nian thing is covered in her Trust dialogues for the 2% of players who ever actually get her. So everything in that whole movie could have sort of happened, but also definitely did not happen in that specific way. So... did we learn anything? Not really. Because who knows what elements were at all canon. Did Rhodes Island deploy to Lungmen at some point in the past to fight the Nian? Does Nian have similar powers to that? Was fighting the Nian over and over again even a real thing that ever happened? Who knows.

Also, I'd still like that Lava skin. It would be a lot more thematic to the event as a free skin rather than Jessica skin #10.

Is this your first mobile game? Because literally all of them that have a plot are either open ended or episodic in nature....because that's kind of the nature of games as a service

This is literally not even a major event or main chapter, it's a side story there to give people who like reading and thinking about lore to something to chew on. I find it kind of silly that for something which focused on the idea of how people develop myths, legends and the traditions that spring up around them you wanted everything to be cleanly and neatly resolved, explained, tied away with a little bow on top.

just keep reading

Okay that was...

Is this your first mobile game? Because literally all of them that have a plot are either open ended or episodic in nature....because that's kind of the nature of games as a service

This is literally not even a major event or main chapter, it's a side story there to give people who like reading and thinking about lore to something to chew on. I find it kind of silly that for something which focused on the idea of how people develop myths, legends and the traditions that spring up around them you wanted everything to be cleanly and neatly resolved, explained, tied away with a little bow on top.

Episodic is fine. I have no problems with any of the earlier events... well, okay that's not true. They really want to tell action packed stories in these little visual novel segments, but they're... maybe the worst I've seen at it? They need to use stage directions is what it comes down to. There will be the sound of a blade and a flashing graphic, and you don't know if that is the characters clashing blades, using a skill, successfully stabbing each other, dramatically gesturing at the air with a weapon but not attacking, punching, throwing a chair, etc. So I had problems with the fight storytelling in the gang war event. But in terms of the kind of story they wanted to tell, no issues in particular. My issue with this event, specifically, is that we have no basis for assuming anything. Literally every aspect of the story is meaningless when you think about it.
    1) Nian type creatures attack the world periodically? Maybe. Maybe they did in the distant past and haven't in thousands of years, we don't know. How dangerous or fatal are these attacks? We don't know. Were the terracotta men a real thing that Nian creatures can do? Etc.
    2) Rhodes Island worked with the LGD before the start of the current story? Maybe, or maybe not. My assumption would be no, but we have no way of confirming that.
    Even MINOR shit that you would just call enjoyable characterization is unclear.
    3) Ch'en can outdrink Hoshiguma. Maybe? Or maybe that was just a joke scene that Lava and Nian put in their script based on nothing. Nian questions why they included Ch'en and Hoshiguma at all. So... were they not there in the incident the story is based on? Was the story not based on a particular incident, so we shouldn't even take the broad strokes as something that happened, from a certain point of view? BIG SHRUG.

In a well established setting with well known characters, an imaginary story or Roshomon type legend can be a very entertaining exercise. This isn't the proper timing for that because this is the INTRODUCTION of several characters in a setting that we have literally zero information about (Lungmen pre-chapter 0). Those characters might NEVER receive any storyline ever again, by the nature of gacha games. I've played a bunch of mobile games (thanks for the condescension by the bye) and if they care about lore, it's very much about doing a lot with a little. This is the first instance I can think of offhand of creating a big interesting plot hook for various ideas and then also throwing it in the garbage and setting it on fire at the same time.

just keep reading

Okay that was...

Episodic is fine. I have no problems with any of the earlier events... well, okay that's not true. They really want to tell action packed stories in these little visual novel segments, but they're... maybe the worst I've seen at it? They need to use stage directions is what it comes down to. There will be the sound of a blade and a flashing graphic, and you don't know if that is the characters clashing blades, using a skill, successfully stabbing each other, dramatically gesturing at the air with a weapon but not attacking, punching, throwing a chair, etc. So I had problems with the fight storytelling in the gang war event. But in terms of the kind of story they wanted to tell, no issues in particular. My issue with this event, specifically, is that we have no basis for assuming anything. Literally every aspect of the story is meaningless when you think about it.
    1) Nian type creatures attack the world periodically? Maybe. Maybe they did in the distant past and haven't in thousands of years, we don't know. How dangerous or fatal are these attacks? We don't know. Were the terracotta men a real thing that Nian creatures can do? Etc.
    2) Rhodes Island worked with the LGD before the start of the current story? Maybe, or maybe not. My assumption would be no, but we have no way of confirming that.
    3) Ch'en can outdrink Hoshiguma. Maybe? Or maybe that was just a joke scene that Lava and Nian put in their script based on nothing. Nian questions why they included Ch'en and Hoshiguma at all. So... were they not there in the incident the story is based on? Was the story not based on a particular incident, so we shouldn't even take the broad strokes as something that happened, from a certain point of view? BIG SHRUG.

In a well established setting with well known characters, an imaginary story or Roshomon type legend can be a very entertaining exercise. This isn't the proper timing for that because this is the INTRODUCTION of several characters in a setting that we have literally zero information about (Lungmen pre-chapter 0). Those characters might NEVER receive any storyline ever again, by the nature of gacha games. I've played a bunch of mobile games (thanks for the condescension by the bye) and if they care about lore, it's very much about doing a lot with a little. This is the first instance I can think of offhand of creating a big interesting plot hook for various ideas and then also throwing it in the garbage and setting it on fire at the same time.

man where do i even start.
    I'm not sure how you can decry everything in the story as meaningless while recognizing that there is a story within a story being told.
    Everything in the first two parts and the first half of the 3rd part is pretty obviously the movie that Nian and Lava are trying to cook up up until the setting-breaking interjection Lava has at the very end regarding the giant monster and the ensuing dialogue that happens there. The setting isn't Lungmen pre-chapter 0 at all like you claim, it's the setting of Nian and Lava's movie script. Coming from the perspective of the two writers, it's a contemporary setting for their audience like action flicks such as Mission Impossible or Fast and the Furious would be contemporary to us. The incongruities that you complain about compared to the actual story presented in the main game episodes are supposed to be clues that what's happening in the movie script aren't actually happening for real. The differences in character detail and setting that are off like: Wei Fumizuki being the leader of Lungmen instead of Wei Yenwu, Madame Oni being a gang leader instead of Ch'en's reliable second in command, Lava suddenly being one of the most powerful operators of Rhodes Island, and Reunion being already defeated when you know for a fact that we're still fighting Reunion in the main story, are all supposed to stick out like a sore thumb and make the reader go "huh, that's weird, what's going on here??". The only two new characters that were actually introduced (maybe 3 if you count Nian's sister?) were Snowsant and Nian; while Snowsant's role was limited to being a supporting cast Nian got plenty of characterization so I really don't get where your complaint about how there was not a well established setting with well known characters unless you are ignoring the fact there have BEEN events and scenes in the main story and previous events that set up the context for the story in this event and taking it solely as a standalone, in which case it might very well seem meaningless.

What grains of truth are actually hidden in the story Nian is trying to tell Lava are covered in the conversation Closure has with Nian after the movie credits roll where they talk about Nian's siblings and Nian's relation to the Alive Until Sunset members (the band from the Obsidian Festival hinted to be Deep Ones/Kaijuu) and Lava's monologue as she's trying to make the script work where she indicates she "got" what Nian was trying to tell her.

just keep reading

Okay that was...

man where do i even start.
    I'm not sure how you can decry everything in the story as meaningless while recognizing that there is a story within a story being told.
    Everything in the first two parts and the first half of the 3rd part is pretty obviously the movie that Nian and Lava are trying to cook up up until the setting-breaking interjection Lava has at the very end regarding the giant monster and the ensuing dialogue that happens there. The setting isn't Lungmen pre-chapter 0 at all like you claim, it's the setting of Nian and Lava's movie script. Coming from the perspective of the two writers, it's a contemporary setting for their audience like action flicks such as Mission Impossible or Fast and the Furious would be contemporary to us. The incongruities that you complain about compared to the actual story presented in the main game episodes are supposed to be clues that what's happening in the movie script aren't actually happening for real. The differences in character detail and setting that are off like: Wei Fumizuki being the leader of Lungmen instead of Wei Yenwu, Madame Oni being a gang leader instead of Ch'en's reliable second in command, Lava suddenly being one of the most powerful operators of Rhodes Island, and Reunion being already defeated when you know for a fact that we're still fighting Reunion in the main story, are all supposed to stick out like a sore thumb and make the reader go "huh, that's weird, what's going on here??". The only two new characters that were actually introduced (maybe 3 if you count Nian's sister?) were Snowsant and Nian; while Snowsant's role was limited to being a supporting cast Nian got plenty of characterization so I really don't get where your complaint about how there was not a well established setting with well known characters unless you are ignoring the fact there have BEEN events and scenes in the main story and previous events that set up the context for the story in this event and taking it solely as a standalone, in which case it might very well seem meaningless.

What grains of truth are actually hidden in the story Nian is trying to tell Lava are covered in the conversation Closure has with Nian after the movie credits roll where they talk about Nian's siblings and Nian's relation to the Alive Until Sunset members (the band from the Obsidian Festival hinted to be Deep Ones/Kaijuu) and Lava's monologue as she's trying to make the script work where she indicates she "got" what Nian was trying to tell her.

Last post I'm going to make on this particular story. First off... please lay off with the attitude. You didn't write the story and I'm in no way insulting you. It is perfectly fine if you love it, I have no beef with you... besides the increasing amount of rudeness in your tone as we've had this discussion.
    Regarding specifics:
    Perhaps meaningless isn't precisely right. But it's the kind of story where you can't take anything that happens seriously because they can pick and choose literally any part of it and say "no, that was part of the movie, that never happened." Is Snowsant a shy genius who joined Lungmen in a time of crisis? We dunno. We actually DO know that Hoshiguma WAS a gang leader or similar in real life prior to joining the LGD, similar to her role in the movie. That's part of the backstory you see in her trust archive and it's vaguely talked around in chapter 5. But is that how she and Ch'en were back then? Was that informed by what really happened between them? We dunno. You're criticizing me like I don't know anything, and you're making statements like that at the same time. Is Nian a good sibling who wasn't really gone after mankind, but her family has? That sounds reasonable, based on Nian wanting to theme the movie in that way and how she talks to Lava about her sister but... again we don't know. Maybe Nian did carry out similar attacks to those in the movie but changed her mind, based on an incident very similar to that in the movie. Maybe the entire movie is literally "here is one weakness of my kind, please remember it in case you're ever in danger from them." That could be the point of the story, but also it could just not be translated very well. "Lungmen's peppers aren't spicy enough." If you have a genuine opinion about that phrase, please go ahead. I just... have no idea about any of it and I don't know that it's reasonable to actually form one, based on what we got.

Yes obviously the tone of the movie storyline was supposed to be goofy and surprising, that didn't pass by me. I do enjoy Lava making herself an anime OC with a sweet outfit and mysterious powers. That's a lot of fun! Let's discuss what you said here, though. "Nian got plenty of characterization." Except... no, she didn't. Nian acting in a movie as a fictional character that was perhaps superficially similar to real events got plenty of characterization. Real life Nian is a mysterious mystery character with an untold past and secrets that are being withheld from the player. You know, like... Kal'tsit. And the Doctor. And Closure. And Specter. And Mostima. And Skadi. And... It's the tropiest thing in the world and one of the only character types they care to put in the game. Just making new badass characters with ~mysterious~ factors and then never... developing any of them, ever, can't be called good writing. It's the JJ Abrams style writing of "hundreds of mystery boxes, we don't know what's inside of them and also it doesn't matter." Do you believe that there will be a second Nian event that isn't a joke movie where we find out like... 3 solid facts about her motivations and purpose? You should probably not believe that because the point of her character in an economic sense is FOMO. They aren't going to bring her back for an extremely long time and when they do, it'll almost certainly be in the setting of a celebration or limited time deal, not "and now some payoff for this character we set up before." Lava 'got' what Nian was trying to tell her. Okay... I'll bite, what was that? If the answer is "the players have no basis for making a similar deduction to Lava" then that is MEANINGLESS to us. Like I've been saying! "A character in the story gained new information that they will do nothing with and also not share with the audience." Really though. Really.

In other news, I got Angelina to E1 max during the week (I had another day where every stamina pot must go) and looked into the feasibility of E2ing her. I actually have all the mats on hand, including the chips (due to getting stiffed on advanced chip drops that I was looking for earlier when getting Vanguard chips for Texas and Myrtle). I even had enough catalysts, surprisingly, considering I have not been stockpiling them at all. I guess event drops and the like gave me just enough. The dualchips are cooking up now and I'll need another day or two for fund raising, then I'll have Angelina in the only form that people seem to think she's great in.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So I had skipped it, but I decided to get my guaranteed 5* on the Ch'en banner because I was hoping for an Astesia potential

Instead I got a Ch'en potential

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I did a few more pulls on there hoping for my first Ch'en and instead got some Blaze potential so uh.. sure?

You can't fool me, that's just Summer Korwa!
    That is a very pretty skin that I am excited to get in... 6 months? 8 months? Who knows!

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Went all in pulling for Ch'en. A massive amount of nothing plus Astesia. I'm really getting hosed here at this point, wish I could see what my six star chance was up to.

I think Texas might have my favorite E2 art, which makes me question the Outfit I bought her months ago...

Alright, 240 green certs for a headhunting certificate, let's go!

Melantha. That's... a pretty incredible outcome, I feel.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Alright, 240 green certs for a headhunting certificate, let's go!

Melantha. That's... a pretty incredible outcome, I feel.

it is to laugh

BahamutZERO.gif
    the number of orirocks needed to E2 Ptilopsis is TOO DAMN HIGH!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »

Are you going to let that stop you?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

Are you going to let that stop you?

Absolutlely not, but I'll still share my feelings on it.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular

I would suggest you never look at Bagpipe's E2 requirements then...

Lorek wrote: »

I would suggest you never look at Bagpipe's E2 requirements then...

Already sitting in my bank. Just have to actually roll her. Which might lead to sadness looking at my Nian rolls.

I'm getting there, it is a lot of runs of 1-7

I'm doing the same thing right now, God I hate 1-7. Already had 5 t3 rocks from who knows what, currently at 12/80 cubes for the rest.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    I'm getting there, it is a lot of runs of 1-7

Hell no. 4-6. Nearly identical in sanity efficiency (1-7 is slightly better) but incredibly more efficient in real life time. (If you don't want T1 materials at all. 5-10 and 6-5 also pull ahead, but only if.)

I only do 1-7 when doing dales. Not crazy to spend forever running that stage otherwise.

edited August 2020
    1-7 is nice and consistent and is about 3% better for all mats over 4-6. It doesn't really matter sanity wise if you're willing to just throw a lot of OP at it.

If you're on a budget, you probably want to do what is most sanity efficient. It's not as if you actually have to pay attention to it while it's running, so...

Like you can even be playing something active like Valorant. You're going to spend a lot of time dead, so just kick off a run every time between rounds.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    but if you believe in the heart of the cards, you can get purple rocks running 4-6