As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 5

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

No one can read a room like good ol' Joey Biden.

That’s the thing though: he’s reading the room just fine.

The Democratic Party is very clear in their method for obtaining votes. Wealthy white folks should be enticed, all other groups should be coerced.

it's just you'd think they'd be less overt about it, considering they need a lot of votes from folks who aren't wealthy or white

this is shit you say when you're already in charge and you don't need to worry so hard about distancing yourself from the competition in an election that is gonna be pretty close
    probably looking at the polls putting them 10 points ahead and assuming it's in the bag already

why try when you can not try

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

The Democratic Party is very clear in their method for obtaining votes. Wealthy white folks should be enticed, all other groups should be coerced.

it's just you'd think they'd be less overt about it, considering they need a lot of votes from folks who aren't wealthy or white

this is shit you say when you're already in charge and you don't need to worry so hard about distancing yourself from the competition in an election that is gonna be pretty close

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/07/09/majority-of-public-favors-giving-civilians-the-power-to-sue-police-officers-for-misconduct/

Unfortunately Biden "reads the room" pretty well. Even among black people more people support leaving police funding the same or increasing it than cutting it. And the numbers are much worse for everyone else.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    forum bug post

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Reading the thread before bookmarking it managed to let me avoid the forum bug, so I'm letting y'all know about it too.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I simply do not use the bookmark system and have never seen the bug

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I don't care about polls that say people want police funding to stay the same when literally every part of popular culture/the media is, if not explicitly pro police, at the very least pushing the narrative that police are a net good, a public service, and that any problems are just individual problems rather than systemic issues.

A leader's job shouldn't be to just get elected by pandering to the common viewpoint, they need to actually work at identifying problems and solving them. There is plenty of concrete evidence that the police are a huge fucking problem, and any candidate who's solution to this problem is "well they just need more funding" cause it plays well with voters, without ever bothering to wonder why it plays well with voters, is a complicit fool.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/07/09/majority-of-public-favors-giving-civilians-the-power-to-sue-police-officers-for-misconduct/

Unfortunately Biden "reads the room" pretty well. Even among black people more people support leaving police funding the same or increasing it than cutting it. And the numbers are much worse for everyone else.

The questions taken as a whole seem to indicate that many don't know exactly how big police budgets are compared to what are considered equivalent government services. I certainly know that *I* was surprised when I found out.

Javen on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    There’s avoiding the phrasing “Defund the police” because political messaging blah blah blah. I get it... it sucks but we live in a hell world so I get it

But no, it’s also gotta be “actually I think we should give them more money” because that is who Biden is

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1

The questions taken as a whole seem to indicate that many don't know exactly how big police budgets are compared to what are considered equivalent government services. I certainly know that *I* was surprised when I found out.

Quite possibility! I'm not arguing for anyone here taking Biden's position, just noting that it's a lot more common than it should be.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Something I've thought about doing is making a table of the top 20 PDs and showing the total budget, total pop served, and the ratio. Cause I thought at first maybe NYPDs budget was in line with my local one but it's population that makes it bigger and nope it's $715 per cap to $423 per cap.

The per cap number helps to compare and shows that like "hey you're effectively paying this much to your police department aren't you happy with the service provided lol"

edited August 2020
    It’s also a very common perspective amongst actual social workers that they don’t WANT to simply be rolled into the police structure, on the grounds that it would lead to abuse done to social workers by police, and erode existing trust that citizens have in social workers by more directly associating them to an entity that is overall distrusted by the public.

EDIT: Consider how police have reacted to even the vaguest consideration that they should be de-escalating situations. Consider how they treat actual police officers who dare to put forth the notion that they shouldn’t be monsters, or blow the whistle on what is apparently normal police behavior. Take that group, now place a group that is a physical manifestation of ‘you’re evil and also terrible at your job’ and place it right in the center.

Javen on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Sort of annoying that quotes don't work from closed threads.

Anyway re: SPD and sweeps: Yes I'm aware they do them anyway. They're still illegal. What, you think cops follow the law even most of the time?

it's complex, but you can quote from a closed thread
    - on the post you're trying to quote, right-click the quote button
    - select 'copy link location'
    - paste this in a notepad file
    - - note the number after 'quote/' (call it A)
    - in the thread in which you wish to post, look at the address bar
    - write down the number after 'discussion/' (here, it's 237012; call this B)
    - in the pasted url, replace A with B
    - copy the updated url to your address bar
    - hit enter

Tamin on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I don’t even know how to parse this. Usually I can guess what he’s fumbling towards, but is this political diversity? Ethnic diversity? How much they like ol aw-shucks Joe diversity? (My bet is on the latter)

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    my extremely generous guess is he's trying to explain why he'd been doing well among black voters during the primary, but latinx voters largely backed bernie and have been hesitant to commit to biden in polls for the general

edited August 2020
    There’s also the substantial dissonance between Biden The Human Person, and JoeBiden dot com: The Thing that Up Until Now Seems To Be Used Exclusively As A Shield Against Attacks On The Left.

Despite a complete reworking of his platform by people I respect a lot more than Joe Biden, Primary Biden doesn’t actually talk about this more liberal platform very much. When he talks about specifics, it’s things like ‘I want to increase police funding and have them use it on X Y and Z’ and when he’s in front of a more liberal crowd it’s ‘I want to build a new economy for all to realize the American Dream’ which is just politician word salad.

Javen on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    There’s also the substantial dissonance between Biden The Human Person, and JoeBiden dot com: The Thing that Up Until Now Seems To Be Used Exclusively As A Shield Against Attacks On The Left.

Despite a complete reworking of his platform by people I respect a lot more than Joe Biden, Primary Biden doesn’t actually talk about this more liberal platform very much. When he talks about specifics, it’s things like ‘I want to increase police funding and have them use it on X Y and Z’ and when he’s in front of a more liberal crowd it’s ‘I want to build a new economy for all to realize the American Dream’ which is just politician word salad.

It drives me nuts. It’s a completely meaningless platform and I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when the site gets brought up to defend something

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Biden is correct in that the Latino community is extremely diverse in circumstances and beliefs. Its how you get Cuban American Republicans. Its highly objectionable to not view African Americans the same and is another symptom of the Democrats taking everyone for granted.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Its amazing to me how much we get "but its on the website"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Joe "vote for someone else, Jack!" Biden

It's really hard to stay positive

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When you put something on a website it’s basically as good as done. That’s how stuff works.

add to that the fact that none of the polls take into account that a shitload of people are becoming/about to become homeless

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    When you put something on a website it’s basically as good as done. That’s how stuff works.

oh god all of these posts that i have made

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Good I say

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    I’m pretty desperate and more than a little naive, so I’d even settle for some of the authors like Warren or Sanders stumping for Biden’s platform on his behalf, but that hasn’t happened either!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Reading the thread before bookmarking it managed to let me avoid the forum bug, so I'm letting y'all know about it too.

Huh, interesting, I'll have to try that next time.

I’ve actually worked with Deloitte before

They’re bad

I’m pretty desperate and more than a little naive, so I’d even settle for some of the authors like Warren or Sanders stumping for Biden’s platform on his behalf, but that hasn’t happened either!

like this?
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/07/22/amanpour-bernie-sanders-biden-2020.cnn

I’ve actually worked with Deloitte before

They’re bad

Ex classmate of mine was derisively asking me how I settled on doing public sector work given the lower pay (pay is fine thank you)

I said 1) we got a degree in public policy and 2) I can actually sleep with myself at night knowing I did something to try and make the world a little better.

She wasn't fond of that answer

bernie tried very hard to convince his supporters to back biden when he bowed out

dems were shocked when that largely didn't happen, because they'd spent years telling themselves that we were a cult that would march for dear leader

And yes, she works for deloitte

• Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

it chaps my ass to an unbelievable extent getting preemptively blamed for trump part two because i don't want to vote for him while the candidate himself is telling me to vote for someone else

i'm in the enviable(?) position of living in an extremely red district of an extremely blue state, so my vote is kinda double meaningless and i have the luxury of not voting for president or voting for hawkins or la riva (probably la riva)

"you have to vote for me or else whatever the other guy does is your fault" is so goddamn corrosive

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I don't have the luxury of removing my vote from the pool unfortunately. I'm sure there will be endless blame towards me for my lack of enthusiasm and being critical of Biden. I get the feeling of Hillary part 2 anytime I read anything about Biden.

Same basic policies in a more rancid packaging.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple

like this?
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/07/22/amanpour-bernie-sanders-biden-2020.cnn

Actually yes! I know you meant it different, but this is actually a fantastic example of what I'm talking about.

It spends about equal time talking about Trump as it does about Biden, and the timeframe spent speaking about Biden's platform are very general and filled with stuff like 'if implemented' and '[Biden's] come a long way

The words 'Childcare, Education, Nursing Home Care' are all things that are said during the interview, in succession, as being things to work on for 'recovering the human infrastructure' of the US, but nothing is said about what will actually be done to these things to recover them. Regarding climate change, 'the candidate has come a long way'. This sentiment is echoed regarding education and criminal justice, with nothing being cited for anything.

The interviewer even directly asks 'how are you, Bernie Sanders, going to ensure that Biden keeps his word?' and Sanders replies that he's going to continue growing the grassroots movement that he built during the campaign. Which is good, but completely divorced from the Biden platform, candidacy, or Presidency.

edited August 2020
    I don't actually think Trump is going to win re-election.

I think people are going to dismiss the four years of missteps, gaffes and an overall lack of delivery that follows a Biden inauguration by 'at least it's not Trump!'

I think there a not-insubstantial number of Democratic politicians who are actually grateful of a perceived GOP decline because it, in turn, lowers the bar for them, and Democrats are only ever concerned with clearing that bar

Javen on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If I think about giving close to 500 dollars of my money to the goddamned sellout turncoat fucker Bernie Sanders, who I used to respect and admire tremendously, I get pretty damn irritated

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    God fuck thats a lot of money I am sorry cousin

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.