As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] [Fellowship] Let the Prologue Commence!

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur watches Namora crack the Orc on the head, and sees the way it slows down as a result. Before he can move, Rose is on it's back, which pushes Arthur into action again. He swings the hilt of his sword towards it's head, instead of the blade, to attempt what Namora had attempted. Aiming for it's temple, he doesn't take a moment to think of what he might actually think they should be doing, and instead just follow's Namora's lead in an attempt to knock it out.
    Geth, Roll 2d6+2 for Finish Them + Sense

Finish Them + Sense:
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=1, 3]

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    @AustinP0027 go ahead and make that roll again with Hope. This one, heavily battered Orc doesn't deserve this much good luck.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    I have this feeling combat is not going to be kind to Arthur....

Geth, Roll 3d6+2 for Finish Them + Sense

Finish Them + Sense:
    3d6+2 18 [3d6=5, 6, 5]

The hilt of Arthurs sword reaches the Orc with a firm CRACK as it hits the temple, sending the hulking warrior to the floor.

The Orc stirs briefly in its incapacitation, almost as if contemplating its own existence. This stirring does not last long, however, as suddenly the eyes of the orc espouse the purple hue you noticed in them as they charged, albeit somewhat more potently now. The orc seems to wry in pain as it holds its head tightly, and you notice blood beginning to pour from every orifice - eyes, ears, nose, mouth.

The orc starts screaming "H-Horn! Must... Must! Horn! Queen! For Queen!". This continues for a mere minute before the orc gives its last shudder, and falls lifeless on the floor.

The danger has passed, and the spotlight is open.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    OOC: yall didnt think it would be that easy to undo the Queens power did ya?

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    OOC: yall didnt think it would be that easy to undo the Queens power did ya?
    OOC: Sometimes in thievery, as in life, buying time is just as important as victory.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Rose shakes her head and looks down sadly at the Orcs, “Someone’s gotta know how to shake people outta this, or we gotta figure it out somehow.” A small tear runs down her cheek, quickly wiped away. “Giving us a choice between murdering someone who ain’t thinkin’ for themselves an’ dying is pretty messed up, and it’s gonna get old REAL fast on our little quest.”

@The Brayster

Do I have any knowledge on how to break people out of her clutches? I think given Dwarven history, the answer would be no, but I want to be sure.

edited July 2020
    @The Brayster

Do I have any knowledge on how to break people out of her clutches? I think given Dwarven history, the answer would be no, but I want to be sure.
    No one alive knows this. Of the extremely few who even know of The Overlord and her followers, they can only speculate for the time being.

The Brayster on
    edited July 2020
    Arthur looks down at the Orc as it shudders and then dies. Part of him wants to feel the compassion that Rose felt for it being possessed, but given the hit he took and how it was attacking his companions, he can't muster any sympathy for it just now.

"It said Horn. They were trying to the Horn of Yr'manse. The Queen of Souls is going after it as well." Arthur looks around the courtyard for more possible threats. "We really should get moving."

AustinP0027 on
    Ever practical, Rose searched the corpses for any clues or valuables with admirable efficiency. Hopefully there would be something they could use in their fight against the one who had caused their deaths...

Namora furrows her brow a little, and mutters just to herself. "Steal your coin from the living; the dead don't have a chance to steal it back." That said, she doesn't put up any attempt to stop Rose either; one of the nice things about working with people who aren't bound to the Agreement is the freedom to "look the other way."

"I agree with the rookie. If the Queen is after the Horn, we're on the right track, and knowing how she works, we've got an advantage if we stay light on our feet and keep moving."

El Skid wrote: »
    Ever practical, Rose searched the corpses for any clues or valuables with admirable efficiency. Hopefully there would be something they could use in their fight against the one who had caused their deaths...

There's nothing to be found on the bodies bar their crude, orcish weapons and their old, rusted armor. These Orcs have long abandoned the desire/need for valuables.

edited July 2020
    Rose stands and looks up at their resident Orc.

“So what do Orcs do with their dead? Burn ‘em?” She says somewhat hopefully. It would take a LOT of shovelling to bury these guys...

El Skid on
    Sounds like a question for @Invictus - What are the typical funeral rites of Orcs?

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    "Burning is fine. Better not to leave any traces of her power, if we can. Corpses are meat; what they were, what matters, is gone. I...We will remember them."

Kaj does replace his dagger with some short Orcish weapon off a corpse, if one is available.
    sorry, had a dumb couple days. apologies for the delay

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    "At home, the dead would feed the crops. But here...I worry about remains."

Arthur looks to Kaj as the Orc speaks, realizing now in his haste to keep moving that fear had crept in and caused him to ignore his companions needs. He closes his eyes for just a moment and takes a deep breath, pushing down the adrenaline and fear. He opens his eyes and focuses on Kaj and Rose again, taking a read on their emotions now, centering himself in presence of his companions instead of the place surrounding them.

"Then let us burn them, and remember them for what they were before she put her mark on them." Arthur starts to drag one of the Orcs towards another, pulling them side by side so the group can burn them and send the to whatever afterlife the Orcs have.

It doesn't take long to gather the Orcs into a pile and set them alight, leaving behind a large blaze and a billow of smoke in their final resting place.
    ooooOOOOooooOOOOOoooo

Don't forget you came here to recover a thing!

OOOoooooOOOOOooooooo

“All right, let’s move out.” said Rose, moving away fro the Pyre and hopping onto her Pup. “Gotta go find that thingamy before they do!”

Ferun muses to the group: "Think they knew something about the castle we dont?"

"They were looking for the Horn, and it looked an awful lot like they were trying to tear down the door and get into the Castle. So, I'm guessing the only direction forward is up the stairs and through the doors ourselves."

I'm going to suggest that if anyone wants to be proactive and move events forward, but no move to do so, to just say what they want to do in bold.

[My Character] makes his/her approach to the castle, to discover what lies therein.

That kinda thing.

I don't want the game to slow to a stop because anyone is afraid to take the first proactive step in lieu of any DM pointers.

At the same time, I don't want to give you guys a forced push when you otherwise could be developing your characters. Stopping for a breather and/or engaging your characters in conversations is okay and in fact encouraged, so I won't presume to sabotage that, since I'm not at a literal table with you guys to gauge what should happen right this moment.

So don't be afraid to do as i suggested and force the fellowship forward if you think you ought to be moving on. If someone needs to interject for something else to happen first, they will.

edited August 2020
    Arthur steps back from the makeshift pyre after a moment, and collects his crossbow from where he dropped it. He then approaches the stone stairs slowly, intently listening to hear anything he might pick up, his nerves on edge now after finding 3 minions of The Queen here after the same thing they were searching for, and likely they weren't the only ones.

Stair by stair, Arthur climbs towards the castle door, peering ahead in anticipation of danger.
    Three Questions
    What is going on here? What do my senses tell me?
    Is something hidden or out of place? If so, what looks suspicious?
    What will happen if I open the door?
    Didn't want to jump right back in again and push things right after I took an action, but I'll go ahead now. Edit: Apparently I'm combat worthless, but I'm real observant.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Look Closely

Look Closely:
    2d6+2 13 [2d6=6, 5]

AustinP0027 on
    * You see no other signs of life from your position, but your senses tell you that you are close to danger.

** The main door to the keep is slightly ajar - something has passed though, possibly recently.

*** There are no traps or ambushes waiting for you on the other side of the door. You are alone, for now, but it's hard to shake the feeling that if danger isn't already here, it is fast approaching.

Arthur moves himself against the wall next to the door, keeping an eye through the slight line of sight he has inside, but waving the party over and pointing to the door that is slightly open. He brings a finger to his lips to indicate that stealth is needed. He then repeats this a few times to ensure that they get the gist of the message he's trying to send.

Going immediately stone-faced, Namora dashes up the stairs, crouching alongside the opposite wall to Arthur (so if Arthur is on the wall to the left of the door, Namora will be to the right, and vice versa), and ducks low, pulling up her cloak and hood. She raises a similar gesture to Arthur's, and signals for Kaz and Ferun to join her and Arthur by the door, and for Rose to duck inside, as the stealthiest of the crew. And if anyone tries to speak a word in response, her hand gesture becomes much fiercer and her eyes become daggers.
    Once everyone is up the stairs, I'm activating a move!

Quiet! Don't Move
    When you duck aside and stay silent and still, enemies will never spot you unless you leave your position. You may hide your allies as well, so long as you hold up a hand, warning them to silence, and they do not speak.

She also briefly locks eyes with Arthur, and hits him with one of these.
    yceem7u7bwsm.gif

@The Brayster What's the definition of a "scene"?

I gain bonds whenever I spend a scene by someone's side

As far as the game is concerned, a Scene is a smaller fragment that would make up a 'Setpiece'.

How much game is considered 'Scene' or 'Setpiece' is kind of up in the air, and is defined largely by how the group/DM divides up the story. At the table, I've always had the average 'Scene' to be either an hour or a pre-determined objective, whichever makes most sense. Forum posting makes this a little more ambiguous, so to help you with that I'll let the group know when one 'Scene' ends.

In our current situation, I consider the Prologue as a whole to be the 'Setpiece', and the events in this castle the first scene. Depending on how long it takes, or what divergant routes might be chosen, I might divide these up into smaller segments.

So, in summary, I'll let you know! The same will also apply to level-ups, I'll bring this to everyones attention at specific points, rather than leave everyone guessing.

Rose steps warily up to the gates and takes a look around.
    can you give me a basic description of the gates? Are they open, or could Rose squeeze through anywhere? If I need to roll let me know @“The Brayster”

edited August 2020
    Sigh @The Brayster

Apparently it doesnt recognize my quotes :(

El Skid on
    The door that everyone is presently standing against is slightly open. They're pretty solid otherwise, with no cracks or openings present.

There's also no evidence of anyone on the other side.

Kaj moves smoothly through the door, farther opening it as is necessary. He advances into the room to put some distance between himself and the others, yet to move into the room.

edited August 2020
    The door creaks open as the sunlight behind the group floods the otherwise pitch-black front chamber, the lgiht glistening off of the marble floor and highlighting what was once a grand sight for guests of the lord of the castle to behold. Paintings adorn all the walls, generation upon generation of lordly portraits leading back to times more ancient than anyone might fathom.

Two flights of staircases wind up around the outside walls, joining together at the centre to lead into what could only be the personal quarters of those who lived here. Adjoining the hall on the ground floor to the flanks lie entryways to the long corridors that would surely lead to libraries, dining halls, ballrooms, and any other such grandiose entertainment that might be offered to those affluent enough to attend.

The group would not take too much time taking this in before noticing the entryway in front of them - a grand doorway leading in to what could any be assumed to be a throneroom - the seat of the Lord, and the likely resting place of an ancient Artifact - The Horn of Yr'Manse, perhaps...

However, there appear to be candles lit inside...

The Brayster on
    Arthur slides through the open door and positions himself close to Namora. Upon seeing the grand doors ahead of them, and the light emanating from them, he whispers quietly to Namora. "Worth looking anywhere up the stairs, or just head on into the door?

*Assuming I can hear this conversation

Ferun whispers back:
    "Door first, we can check the stairs later. No telling if more Soultaken are near by. Cant deviate from our path when we are this close."

"I also think the doors first.." Kaj says, nearly beneath his breath to preserve stealth.

"When life hands you a door..." Namora nods to Ferun and Kaj. "After you, gents."