As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Train] Ive got fire in my caboose! Last Divinity dlc in beta!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    The incant siren gets +2/+2 for an incant now, but the incant shark still only gets +0/+3.

Poor incant shark.

Incant shark, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo
    Incant shark needs some buffs!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Sigh
    And then you get shit where your 16 card deck with 3 copies of +energy card and 2 copies of 6-cost critter, which has otherwise stomped the game, isn't allowed to draw a copy of those two cards together until 2 turns before the boss spawns under any permutation of playing out cards. Triple-stacked RNG feels so bad.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Covenant 3 down! Umbra/Stygian.
    A7F692FCDFC3193A3DDA8F7F31929E682A4E83FA
    This was a fun deck.

Floor 1 was a Titan Sentry with a Nameless Siren, backed up by Guardian Stone
    Floor 2 was Penumbra (Glutton 3 upgrade)
    Floor 3 was an Overgorger

Strategy was to cast all the spells I needed on floor 1 and then sprinkle morsels between floors 2 and 3.
    I would've lost first time I fought Seraph, but I reloaded because I thought I had it with better play. And I was right!

Overgorger was up to 296 attack by the end, so not bad. Not quite my personal best of 860, but not bad.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    COVENANT 25 ACHIEVED

FUCK MAGIC, MURDER MUSCLE ALL THE WAY
    s8LCvUT.png

I also find a deep irony in winning with all four of my stewards, having routinely trashed them as fast as I can.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Stewards get a lot of shit, but they're real good if you get their artifact.

Also, sometimes you just need a butt to block for your Squishies, and they can do that if you put a pair of HP upgrades on them

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Skipping a full post, but I beat Cov5 with Umbra/Hellhorned.

Reloaded the Seraph fight to get the win.

Highlight was a Transcendimp turned endless by a card is really funny to target with Imp-portent Work. Triggered a ton of Rage bonues right at the final round and pushed a fed Overgorger over the top to monch Seraph and give the win.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I love an endless Trancendimp

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Stewards get a lot of shit, but they're real good if you get their artifact.

Also, sometimes you just need a butt to block for your Squishies, and they can do that if you put a pair of HP upgrades on them

Playing remnant I generally have a rotating cast of consistently stronger mobs for that. But yeah with their artifact stewards hit a perfectly good spot between health and damage.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    r2sicf4vdlsn.png

4jh6h8s5y1e4.png

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well that is officially the highest score I’ve seen.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Chasing scores that high is basically an entirely different game, same as the 0-card deck win.

sig.gif
  • Options
    You know what I'd like? A "skip the brief respite" option for more points.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I'm a little sad that Seraph died before getting to my boss killing floor.

v4o2xd0rtyxn.jpg

Not shown, a bottom floor exploding champ with 45 stacks of regen, and a 65 X 3 friend.

• Options
    =_=
    Went for a relic-less run, because I was interested in going back to a lower covenant for a bit. Saw the Armageddon event for the first time, and had no idea it would gift me with an unavoidable relic later on. wet fart noises :P
    On the plus side, Intent on Death with Legion of Wax is hilarious and I love it. This went hand-in-hand with a few other cards, and led to this, which actually happened twice:
    65meqm59caqd.png

• Options
    I call this run: trancendimp is good.
    7kufsafoltuz.jpg

• Options
    The Devs have announced another big update hitting main branch September 3rd.

New "exiled" champions, with different starting cards. A new Saraph, and some more minor bosses.
    5q99v379eskl.png

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Update is now on the Beta.

Patch notes for that version.
    his second major update for Monster Train adds new champions, new bosses, new cards, and new artifacts, which combine together to add a significant amount of new strategic options and replayability. We’ve also added a number of frequently requested player features like a personal run records page in the Logbook, an enemy wave counter in battle, and a preview of the ring 3 and ring 6 bosses at the start of a run.

NOTE: for the Public Test Train, we are temporarily setting runs to always use the new bosses. When the update goes live, run generation will go back to normal and mix in the new bosses with the old. Also, all changes listed are still subject to change before the update officially launches.

You are welcome to join us or feedback and discussion on the official Monster Train Discord server in the #public-test-train channel.

How to join:

Make sure Monster Train is not running

Right click on the game in your Steam library

Click "properties"

Click the "BETAS" tab

In the dropdown menu, choose "public-test-server"

Press close and wait for the game to update

Major New Features:

NEW CHAMPION - Shardtail Queen from the Hellhorned clan. Her starter card is the Queen’s Impling.

NEW CHAMPION - Wyldenten from the Awoken clan. His starter card is Rootseeds.

NEW CHAMPION - Solgard the Martyr from the Stygian Guard clan. His starter card is Forgone Power.

NEW CHAMPION - Primordium from the Umbra clan. Its starter card is Plink.

NEW CHAMPION - Little Fade from the Melting Remnant clan. Her starter card is Primitive Mold.

NEW BOSS - Talos, the Architect at the third ring of Hell. She attacks before the Relentless phase and her strikes give her benefits.

NEW BOSS - Archus, Darkness Incarnate at the sixth ring of Hell. He summons Darkshards, a new type of unit that you must counterplay to survive.

NEW BOSS - Seraph the Patient. A new Seraph variant that both attacks before the Relentless phase and applies Melee Weakness, a new status effect that increases combat vulnerability.

NEW ARTIFACTS - one new artifact per clan: Queen's Tail, Emblem of the Exiles, Kinstone Totem, Shadowbox, Fade's First Blade.

PERSONAL RECORDS - in the Logbook you can now view your personal run records.

NEW EXPERT CHALLENGES - 5 more Expert Challenges for players who have completed Covenant 25.

General Gameplay Changes:

New keyword: Phased. Phased units cannot attack, cannot be targeted, and cannot take damage in any way.

New keyword: Attuned. Spell cards with Attuned benefit from Magic Power at 5x the rate as normal. The goal is to increase late-game viability of certain cards.

New keyword: Melee Weakness. When applied a unit takes more damage from normal combat. It does not decay unless the unit takes combat damage.

New trigger: Rally. Triggers when you play a unit card on this floor.

Action trigger (previously called “On Turn”) is now used on some new player units. Triggers on the unit's turn, before it attacks.

When playing with a random primary and/or allied clan and you restart your run from the pause menu the clans will now be re-randomized. (player request)

Shieldstone Damage Shield stacks increased 2 -> 3.

Runestone Armor stacks increased 1 -> 2.

Removed the keyword "Enhance" everywhere to increase clarity. By default, Status Effects never persist across death in battle. Stat changes always do. No functional changes to any game mechanic were associated with this text change.

Stackstone now increases Ember cost by 1 in addition to adding Doublestack. This is our one big nerf for this update. Overall the data and feedback showed that this was one of the biggest ways to swing a run easily and as it was relatively easy to pull off we added this drawback to bring it a bit more in line with other upgrades. We'll be keeping an eye on the results in the public test train and beyond and buffing any cards that seem to have had an outsized impact from this change.

Hope for Peace now only affects Spells to avoid common confusion with Monster Railspike.

Hellhorned Gameplay Changes:

Imp-pressive is Attuned.

Ritual of Battle Rage gain increased 8 -> 10.

Awoken Gameplay Changes:

Sting damage increased 5 -> 10.

Stygian Gameplay Changes:

Titan's Gratitude damage reduced 30 -> 25. The card is now Attuned.

Ice and Pyre is Attuned.

Crypt Builder is Attuned.

New keyword: Shard. Powers Solgard the Martyr’s abilities.

Umbra Gameplay Changes:

Feast now only triggers eating if there is a unit that can feed in the room.

New keyword: Buffet. Units with Buffet can be eaten more than once. Currently Primordium is the only unit with Buffet.

Melting Remnant Gameplay Changes:

Memento Mori rarity was changed from Rare -> Uncommon.

Intent on Death rarity was changed from Uncommon -> Rare.

Paraffin Enforcer health increased 15 -> 25.

Mortal Entrapment Daze amount increased 2 -> 3. The card is now Attuned.

Other Changes and Bug Fixes:

AUDIO - new music tracks for Talos and Archus.

TEXT - clarified that Dazed status blocks various triggers from occurring.

TEXT - changed the gambling event to make it clearer it is Pyre Health that is on the line.

ENGINE - updated to Unity 2019.4.

ENGINE - removed use of AVProVideo because Unity 2019 supports hardware decoding of video. Now muting the game from Windows Volume Mixer affects video volume.

UI - added ability to switch between Exiled and normal Champions for both primary and allied clans on the clan select and challenge creation screens.

UI - show which ring 3 and ring 6 bosses you will face on the run on the run start screen.

UI - added wave counter to battle. It shows the number of enemy waves until the boss comes out. (player request)

UI - added an easier way to cancel mutators and expert challenges with one click. (player request)

UI - increased the size of card subtype to improve readability.

UI - reordered the Logbook tabs to a more logical order with Champion Upgrade right after the Card tab and the Card Mastery Frames next to the Stats section.

UI - Don’t highlight any part of the champion upgrades in the Logbook so the whole thing is easier to read.

BUG FIX - fixed missing keyword tooltips on a few cards and artifacts.

BUG FIX - fixed Pyre VFX disappearing briefly sometimes.

BUG FIX - ensure Pyre death audio always plays.

BUG FIX - fixed an issue where discard pile card count could be wrong if you were rapidly playing cards.

BUG FIX - fixed a rare bug where Train Steward card art didn't display properly in a certain sequence of Concealed Caverns event choices.

BUG FIX - fixed a rare softlock related to ensuring determinism.

BUG FIX - fixed a determinism bug related to trials that give out an artifact being dependent on which path you chose prior to combat (left or right).

BUG FIX - fixed a text issue where an Armor value was displayed incorrectly on a merchant upgrade with Doublestack and Railhammer.

BUG FIX - Spell cards that Purge or duplicate on kill now trigger correctly when they kill bosses.

BUG FIX - unfocus the hand if you open deck view while dragging out a card to avoid mouse cursor confusion.

BUG FIX - a few Spells that didn't work with the Volatile Spells mutator were fixed. For example: Restoration Detonation.

BSoB on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I've been streaming the beta this week, I really like the new champions to be honest. I think the update adds a lot overall between minor buffs that have some pretty large impact to some stunning powerful champion interactions.

Also the new imps are adorable. Although it gets unsettling if they die

I also find the enhance removal more confusing even though out of game I understand the intent. I dunno, feels weird but it's not a big deal

• Options
    I don't know if the new champs are all super overpowered, or if the new bosses are all just chumps. But the only one I've had any trouble with is the imp queen, every other champ has just been a stomp.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    The friends and foes update is now live.

new Champs are pretty cool.

New Umbra champ is 3 morsels in a trench coat. My first win consisted of using a frozen retch to give +360/+45 to a lifesteal guy.

BSoB on
  • Options
    BSoB wrote: »
    The friends and foes update is now live.

new Champs are pretty cool.

New Umbra champ is 3 morsels in a trench coat. My first win consisted of using a frozen retch to give +360/+45 to a lifesteal guy.

I like all the new champs I think, but the umbra one is silly fun.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Have they done anything about the massive card bloat you get forced on you?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Nope

• Options
    If you focus on it, you can get to a pretty small deck by the end. Drawing your deck every other turn isn't uncommon once you've cleared out minions.

The new bosses are a different design direction. The new Saraph punishes you for playing (non-morsel)minions and spells on the floor he's visiting, and attacks outside of relentless.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Friends and Foes is cool. Did an easy Rank 25 Covenant Mutator Run (A run where game doesn't calculate floor battles before you end your turn) with Exiled Stygian Guard and Exiled Umbra.

The new Stygian Guard champion is basically an inverse of Burn Bright Waxen Remnant. Huge stat block but only activates after 4/8/12 incants on his floor. Survive the early game with spells to be rewarded with a 170/170 monster unit. Just like Burn Bright it was very powerful. Won my first run at it.

New bosses seem cool too though I haven't seen the early one yet. This update is much more interesting than mutators, I am liking it.

• Options
    I think the worst part of the new bosses is just that almost every one of them is a giant block of text with changing abilities (I'm particularly looking at you, guy that spawns multiple types of cubes and has multiple versions). The new champions are pretty delightful though, yes. It's definitely a positive shot in the arm for the game's sustainability, but it doesn't really do much for the tightness of the balance overall.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    The new champions are all much better at scaling than the original heroes. They definitely have a better idea of what their characters need to do to be usable now.

• Options
    Got back into the climb with the new champions available.

Ran a Remnant/Hellhorned deck with Little Fade.
    D446BAFB884C8BCA2749A9B1DD626337D1726C1E
    The deck came together about the time the game offered me a second Imp-in-a-Box (after duplicating my first)

The highlight was the 1-size Consumber of Crowns. Though the mvp was playing the Most Blessed Sword with 17 ember on Seraph right at the end. Dealing 500 damage a shot was key.

Little Fade did work, don't get me wrong. But it was drowning the enemies in Imp triggers that really sealed the deal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    imp builds with the new hellhorned champion feel insanely broken.

absolutely cakewalked through the game, even with horrible imp in a box rng on seraph.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Yeah Shardtail queen feels insanely good as an enabler for imp decks

I lucked out and just absolutely shattered Seraph with an insanely beefed up Lady of the Reformed and Queen - i think the Queen was at 640 something attack and the Lady was at 430 something so I was literally trucking Seraph for 1k+ an exchange

oy30cRr.png?1

I also like Wyldenten a lot better than The Sentient for some reason, maybe because it feels a lot less passive maybe? The various buffs to things like Steel Enhancer probably helped too
    SuSQzEE.png?1

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wax bros are definitely the faction I still have the most trouble with. The other factions all have obvious game mechanics you can stack to huge numbers by the end of the run. I have a hard time formulating a game plan with team Wax.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Wax bros are definitely the faction I still have the most trouble with. The other factions all have obvious game mechanics you can stack to huge numbers by the end of the run. I have a hard time formulating a game plan with team Wax.

Usually the wax plan for me is

1. Burnout Rector
    2. Draft some guys that give you money, especially the guy who pays out whenever anything dies on his floor
    3. Upgrade all your cards to ridiculous
    4. Probably get some type of Reform, I guess?

The guy who gets permanently stronger every time he dies is a win condition all on his own, take him if you see him.

(Note: I haven't played for a few patches)

Fry on
  • Options
    Strong things to do as Melting.

Burnout rector + lady of the reformed. That combo should kill 1 heavy and bosses pretty well. Then you just need a way to deal with back line, and 1 more heavy.

Holdover & -1 engulfed in smoke or endless stealth tomb.

Harvest Rector and dupe a burnout 1 votivary. Then stick a Damage dealer behind him. Multi-strike wickless Baron is ideal.

Largestone legion of wax + Intent on death.

Start with little fade. (she broke).

• Options
    Melting remnant seems odd at first but they posses such an incredibly powerful mechanic in reform that it honestly feels really hard to lose with them unless you get very unlucky

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    But out rector+reform 2 upgrade+draff cycling = win

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    with melting i barely even engage with the allied cards. their internal synergies are so insanely strong that it kinda doesn't matter.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    It’s even better now that morsels go to “eaten” instead of the consumed/dead pile.

So you don’t get clogged up with morsels when you’re trying to bring Little Fade back for the nth time.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    is it just me or does Primordius feel...anemic compared
    to the other new champions

it feels like all the other champions open up or at the very least strongly enable alternate avenues for the various decks but Primordius is just...a Big Chungus morsel that takes up more space than a normal morsel and takes time to be eaten which means it can be swept out, die to spikes, or add on to emberdrain, and doesn't even get the benefit of the Umbra artifacts that interact with morsels

anyways, Icarus Little Fade has....really funny synergies with Awoken

XVz1rgZ.png?1
    1Ofc3FM.png

lol
    wBVTOTh.png?1

Orphane on
  • Options
    Dunno. I've found them fun since the one you can make stick around longer can be buffed more effectively, and I think it's enjoyable to have your enhancement effects be multiplicitive for the actual target. Similar for when you can get them giving multiple instances of damage prevention. It's a very cool card, whether or not it's the most effective of the champs.

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    The combos you can do with primordium are like out of control good, but he is very much like a wombo combo initiator - so many cards work well with him, especially the superfood version (tons of cards in awoken/umbra/hellhorn) - retching him back up to double feast, etc. Like a lot of this stuff, its hilarious and broken at lower cov, and becomes frustrating and broken at higher cov (when it becomes harder to find & pull the same thread).

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet