As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Can't Stop Thinking About [Control]

1235»

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    @DarkPrimus you still stuck in Foundation?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    @DarkPrimus you still stuck in Foundation?

It was a verticality problem that I solved! While I love the aesthetic change to the more naturalistic look of the Foundation, it is definitely less obvious how to navigate compared to the rest of the game.

• Options
    AWE expansion is now live
    I gotta head to my office for a hot second to take care of something but I started on this just a bit and there are already so many documents and tidbits and teases let me eat it all up yum yum yum

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    oh wow, I had no clue it was expansion time

welp I reckon I gots to go download an update

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I just finished AWE and boy oh boy I hope everyone here is ready to theorize because holy shit it raises so many questions.

GREAT questions and fun questions but nonetheless they leave a shitload to discuss.

I'm on my phone but will type a big spoilers thing once I'm on a computer.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    do I need to get the first one or can I just play this one cause I heard mostly bad things about the first pack

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I liked Foundation! But no so far it looks like you could just jump to this one

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I thought foundation was good

Also, this is really good! It expands things in really interesting ways, including featuring some actually kinda scary shit

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Should I read a plot summary of Alan Wake, or will I be able to understand enough of AWE without doing so?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Kupi wrote: »
    Should I read a plot summary of Alan Wake, or will I be able to understand enough of AWE without doing so?

Absolutely read a summary. I don’t think you NEED to (especially if you ever want to play Alan Wake.), because it will make enough sense just reading the documents you found in the base game - but it adds some stuff about folks you really wouldn’t know a thing about without knowledge of Alan Wake.

One other thing is since you could play just this, and not the foundation, if you wanted - it addresses absolutely nothing that happens in the Foundation. Which is a bummer but I get it. So yeah, this is intended to be played at any point in Control (after “the face of my enemy” mission - which isn’t even the end of the base game), so the story is self contained to fit anywhere in the timeline after that.

AWE doesn’t address the end of the base game or the first DLC because they can be completed in any order.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    oh you motherfuckers

AWE spoilers
    this was shorter than I wanted, and definitely NOT any kind of resolution to the Alan Wake story, but damn if I didn't mark out for that blatant HEY COUPLE YEARS OUT WE GOT ANOTHER ALAN WAKE GAME tease at the end

as with the last expansion, I just enjoy being in this weirdo building some more

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    oh you motherfuckers

AWE spoilers
    this was shorter than I wanted, and definitely NOT any kind of resolution to the Alan Wake story, but damn if I didn't mark out for that blatant HEY COUPLE YEARS OUT WE GOT ANOTHER ALAN WAKE GAME tease at the end

as with the last expansion, I just enjoy being in this weirdo building some more

I am going to spend the next few years just

AWE spoilers
    going over and over that opening video with Zane. Or Scratch. Who was that.

I can't believe they dropped so much mystery in the very first cutscene and then spent the rest of the time having Alan just be like "wait, focus, you have to get out. Deal with that later."

Also what Alice has been going through sounds absolutely horrible.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the AWE DLC, however:
    I kind of found Hartman to not be scary? He was a little intimidating the first time I ran into him, but very quickly became laughable. The puzzles were kind of cool, but overall as a threat he was more annoying than anything else.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This fucking game. That fucking DLC.

I've discovered that I'm incapable of having a reasoned and rational discussion about Control. When every new piece of lore sets off fireworks and fanfare inside my head, I know that I'm just too much of a fanboy to be unbiased.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So I had noticed it a little bit while playing through Foundation, but it seems like the left thumb stick is going on my PS4 controller.

Most games are fine with it, but it seems like Control is just sensitive enough or something that while moving it's like Jesse keeps stuttering between walking and running in non-combat areas, and while running she'll stop running frequently.

I could probably manage to get through the DLC regardless, but it annoyed me enough to put it aside until I can grab a new controller.

PS4 controllers are kind of a shitshow in terms of durability, sadly.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I started AWE but then my save file got corrupted and the most recent save I was able to find by manually digging through the files was from over a month ago just when I beat the base game, despite me having played through all of Foundations and other quests after that????

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So I had noticed it a little bit while playing through Foundation, but it seems like the left thumb stick is going on my PS4 controller.

Most games are fine with it, but it seems like Control is just sensitive enough or something that while moving it's like Jesse keeps stuttering between walking and running in non-combat areas, and while running she'll stop running frequently.

I could probably manage to get through the DLC regardless, but it annoyed me enough to put it aside until I can grab a new controller.

No this exact same thing happened to me on PS4 after the AWE update!

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

No this exact same thing happened to me on PS4 after the AWE update!

So just BTW, getting a new controller fixed this completely for me

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    https://youtu.be/xRcLYeuK8ZU

huh

they must have been planning this for a while

I wonder how much else of the plot they have sketched out in advance

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    So I've kind of just gotten started on this, and I'm curious on a minor plot point:
    Some of the collectible memos are from Jesse to Emily (or maybe vice versa). Is there a time travel aspect to the plot, or is my character somehow dashing off memorandums while she's capping Hiss?

Also, fuck...
    Tommasi. The Service Weapon feels like a pea-shooter vs. him. Have I missed some other weapon along the way that's more effective for that fight?

htm on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    So I've kind of just gotten started on this, and I'm curious on a minor plot point:
    Some of the collectible memos are from Jesse to Emily (or maybe vice versa). Is there a time travel aspect to the plot, or is my character somehow dashing off memorandums while she's capping Hiss?

Also, fuck...
    Tommasi. The Service Weapon feels like a pea-shooter vs. him. Have I missed some other weapon along the way that's more effective for that fight?

it isn't ever really explained, but i like to think of it as part of the same weirdness that caused all the portraits to spring up

i can't remember that first fight super well, but you've basically got to constantly be throwing things (which you should have gotten just a couple rooms earlier). He'll dodge the first thing, but you can often then hit him immediately after for a decent chunk.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    This game plays way better on the PC. You need the mouse aiming.

Quantum Break is $9 in the XBox App on PC.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I liked how things will happen in the game and then it will be like they didn't happen at all.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Turns out epic gave me the base game at some point? Is it worth playing or is this a "you really need updates/expansions" thing?

• Options
    Turns out epic gave me the base game at some point? Is it worth playing or is this a "you really need updates/expansions" thing?

It is not the Ultimate Edition?

• Options
    Nope! Strictly "Base Game". And they sell ultimate for 10 bucks more. (or in my case, 40 more, since this was at some point a freebie)

• Options
    Unfortunately, the Ultimate Edition does not have the PS4 extras, but a hack fixes that.

• Options
    Can you get DLC for the base game? It may be better to wait for a sale and get the Ultimate version.

• Options
    To be clear, i've got the base game, and installed it, just playtime tends to be limited so was seeing if it was worth the time.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    It's definitely worth playing without the expansions yeah, fun story and the ability to wreck a brutalist office building with supernatural powers.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I made it past the maintenance section. On to research.