As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I ordered my Snapdragon through Amazon because the local Targets are exceptionally behind when getting stock and the Walmarts are a joke.

For some bizarre reason in June they changed Snapdragon from “delivered in September“ to “available immediately” and then declared they were out of stock and hoping to get them in soon.

So hopefully that means I’ll have one in hand in the next couple of weeks.

Now, let’s talk about those Decepticon Clones.

I’m happy with them. Easy and quick transformations and the price point was about right.

I'm pissed since all I wanted was the clones. Bought the large box set and the Walgreen's exclusive just to see them be released as a two pack and easy to get.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I was angry because I missed out on the Takara 2 pack (couldn’t justify going the route you did).

I’m hoping they rerelease the Autobot clones in the same method.

Nobody on
    I was angry because I missed out on the Takara 2 pack (couldn’t justify going the route you did).

Seriously the route I went was the dumbest! I now have a bunch of bots that I sorta like and will probably unload when I go through my collection to clean it up a bunch. I'd love the Autobot clones next since I only have one half of them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Do you have the Velocitron set?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL

I had to go look, nope it is the other set. Siege on Cybertron.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/54397

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »

Seriously the route I went was the dumbest! I now have a bunch of bots that I sorta like and will probably unload when I go through my collection to clean it up a bunch. I'd love the Autobot clones next since I only have one half of them.

Honestly I wish Tidal Wave was available separately out of that pack, I liked that redeco of Broadside more than, well, Broadside.

(granted, that mold was probably the worst of the TR Triple Changers).

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Here's my (hopefully final) body count for SDCC Pops
    IMG-20200802-003344.jpg
    Not pictured: a hella cool translucent Shadow Trooper Pop I got from Gamestop

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Ah, dang, I’d love to get the Velocitron figures. I never saw it in stores.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg

Honestly I wish Tidal Wave was available separately out of that pack, I liked that redeco of Broadside more than, well, Broadside.

Yeah Tidal Wave really is a nicer coloring of that mold. Although I had Broadside before so now I have two aircraft carriers. Let me know if you are interested in Tidal Wave by PM and we can discuss you adopting him.

I oddly saw a few boxes right before TRU went under. Almost bit on one just because they were there, but I didn't have any attachment to them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited August 2020
    The 1000toys Mark V Master Chief preorder is up now, 125 dollars of pure man
    https://1000toys.jp/blog_detail.aspx?goto=blog50
    https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/101316

Local H Jay on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

Nautica was a breakout star of MTMTE, and I really hope she gets a figure that isn't a retool in an exclusive box set eventually.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I kinda regret not picking up that boxset.

Holy crap I got some McDonald's Pops, wild

So the scalpers got screwed, McDonald's Pops were originally gonna be super hard to find but after a bad launch fiasco on the McDonald's site, they partnered with like 10 different sites and relaunched them all for 11 bucks lmao

So the scalpers got screwed, McDonald's Pops were originally gonna be super hard to find but after a bad launch fiasco on the McDonald's site, they partnered with like 10 different sites and relaunched them all for 11 bucks lmao

Now THIS is how toys should launch!!!

Maybe this whole COVID-19 thing will make companies finally take note that they are losing money to scalpers and make more to allow people to get what they want.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Yeah the scalper game is wild, I see a lot of frustrated people on the reddit complaining about it. Stores restock, sell out in minutes, and sometimes sites like Hot Topic will take on more orders than they can fill and end up cancelling them.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much longer the US toy industry really has (at least in the form we know it); the economy is already down the crapper and we're about to get tens of millions of people finding themselves homeless.

The collectible industry is probably going to get hard as that's one of the first things people are going to stop spending money on when they have ot tighten their belt. (Also, not much point in buying cool toys when you don't have a home to put them in.)

It would not shock me to see the, for example, the Transformers Generations line get reduced to a masterpiece-like release schedule for several years.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much longer the US toy industry really has (at least in the form we know it); the economy is already down the crapper and we're about to get tens of millions of people finding themselves homeless.

The collectible industry is probably going to get hard as that's one of the first things people are going to stop spending money on when they have ot tighten their belt. (Also, not much point in buying cool toys when you don't have a home to put them in.)

It would not shock me to see the, for example, the Transformers Generations line get reduced to a masterpiece-like release schedule for several years.

Well Hasbro and Takara/Tomy already joined forces prior to COVID-19 to have only one release line so yeah you may be right why there are smaller batches of toys from the good old days. Not to mention that toys don't seem to resonate with kids these days... Stupid digital crap.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I think the middle class collector that the toy companies target are less impacted (job-wise) by Covid than the poor. If anything, they are spending less on going out, so have more for toys.

Heffling wrote: »

I think the middle class collector that the toy companies target are less impacted (job-wise) by Covid than the poor. If anything, they are spending less on going out, so have more for toys.

We're seeing Great Depression levels of GDP drops. We're looking at evictions risks of between 20% to 60% of renters in some states.

Saying it's only a problem that affects the poor ignores that there's about to be a massive amount of newly poor people, many of them who were comfortably middle-class at the start of this year.

Anyway, sorry to drag this into an offtopic discussion. It's just something that's been on my mind every time I've dropped money on a toy over the last couple of months.

edited August 2020

Yeah Tidal Wave really is a nicer coloring of that mold. Although I had Broadside before so now I have two aircraft carriers. Let me know if you are interested in Tidal Wave by PM and we can discuss you adopting him.

Thanks for the offer but I’m currently running into a display space situation that’s making it difficult to justify some of my upcoming purchase already :(

Nobody on
    For me, I’m basically stuck at home with nothing to do other than work, so I start looking at all the cool shit that’s out or coming soon and ohhh nooo now I have a spreadsheet for preorders

Stupid brain

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg

Thanks for the offer but I’m currently running into a display space situation that’s making it difficult to justify some of my upcoming purchase already :(

Hahahaha, that's why I'm thinning out my collection.... Or trying to!

Which brings me to the matter of my post (I've been putting this off far too long). So July was my birth month and to celebrate it I decided to go a bit overboard on buying toys. Well ok, some of these were on pre-order way before and they just so happen to ship around my month. Only the new Hasbro stuff is what I did buy in July on a whim. So without further babbling here are my newest additions to my dust collection. If you just want to look at pretty pictures, go jump to the spoilers.

First off is Fans Hobby Athena which is their version of the Transformer Minerva. Now none of us here in the states are that familiar with this Transformer because she appears in the Japanese series (Super-God Masterforce and later Victory). The reason I wanted her, well she is a headmaster, female Transformer AND A PORSCHE 959!!!!!! I loved that car growing up so she just had to join my ranks as a toy. I then looked up who she was and the story behind it. Well let's just say why would you give not only a Transformer to a teenage girl and let her drive on the road? Actually she almost seems like an underage driver which makes it that much funnier in my book. Yeah, let's give her a sports car that can transform into a robot which she controls??? Anyways, that was the funnier parts of her story and I'm sure she is a good person to join the Autobots. I did read that she doesn't like violence which is why she is more a medic than fighter.

As a toy she is ok, but fiddly. Her head can get stuck in the robot body if you pull it out the wrong way, and mine has a loose door that becomes the back right calf which pops out when I pose her (the tab doesn't stay in when transformed). I do like how you can fit the head/person inside when it is in vehicle mode and the extra parts and guns can fit inside as well (sadly not the extra face which I forgot to take a photo of). The plastic is a bit odd and different than all the other types I have played with, almost like a slight rubbery plastic type. Another minor complaint is that you have to take off the entire top of the car to transform her. Making this Masterpiece sized toy more like a mainstream one with removable parts. Overall I'm ok with her being a weird 3P type Transformer and at least she wasn't that expensive compared to other 3P stuff coming out. Oh and another thing that annoys me is that the front vent lines do not line up no matter how much you fiddle with it, so I end up just ignoring it for the most part).

Here are her photos:
    FH_Athena_01.jpg
    FH_Athena_02.jpg
    FH_Athena_03.jpg
    FH_Athena_04.jpg
    FH_Athena_05.jpg
    FH_Athena_06.jpg
    FH_Athena_07.jpg

Next up is Fans Toys Hunk which is their version of Transformers Brawn. Now I feel that have to explain why I bought this figure of a Transformer I have no attachment to (mainly for myself because from the outside all of my toys make no sense). Brawn is a main character in most of the cartoon shows, but I never really cared for the grumpy old timer for a few reasons. One he was a mini-bot that I did not have, two he was grumpy and pushy for the most part, and three well he just was not that important to me. I do have a newer toy of him to fill out the Transformers ranks and I was done with collecting robots of him. Now Fans Toys is one of those third party companies who restarted really fast after the COVID-19 shut down in China and collectors clamor over them to the point that they consider them to be on par or better than Takara (the official company in Japan who makes Transformers). The odd thing is that they came back but their prices were higher and yet their pre-orders were selling out like crazy (well for most of them at least). Seeing that I buy some odd 3P stuff just to check out the toys I decided that Hunk would be a good experiment to discover why everybody sings praises for their toys and the toy seemed interesting to me at least.

I got him in and I have to say I am impressed with their engineering and materials. They have some good metal parts (the legs and the chest) and the plastic doesn't feel cheap at all. The only part that I didn't like about it is the weird light eyes in vehicle mode. Basically the plastic they used to post in makes it look like he has eyes (thanks to the Transformers forum for that one since I can't unsee it now). They also didn't give him much head movement, he can look a bit left and right, but not up and down. He does have waist rotation and can do some crazy poses, but not over the top since he has his vehicle backpack (which is actually the hood and part of the back folded up inside of it). He is really a great mini-bot and I am glad I picked him up. He'll fit right in my collection of odd Transformers. Oh he doesn't come with Megatron's fusion cannon, that is from my Masterpiece MP-36+ (toy version) Megatron. He actually used his canon in the cartoon so I had to try a photo of it.

So more photos:
    FT_Hunk_01.jpg
    FT_Hunk_02.jpg
    FT_Hunk_03.jpg
    FT_Hunk_04.jpg
    FT_Hunk_05.jpg
    FT_Hunk_06.jpg
    FT_Hunk_07.jpg

So to balance out the fake Transformers I did pick up three of the mainstream toys (actually four but Greasepit was already shared so I don't have to take photos of him). I picked up Hoist, Exhaust and Alternate Universe Optimus Prime from the current Earthrise (and Selects which is a fancy way of saying import) series. These guys I seriously call mini Masterpieces since they have similarities to their transformations or looks.

So first off is Hoist. I actually never had him as a G1 toy, but my brother did. I loved the truck mode because the base truck was a Toyota pickup or Hilux in Japan) and my Dad had a Toyota truck when we were kids. We'd ride in the back with a camper shell and my Dad put a plyboard and carpeting back there with an intercom system so we could talk with my parents in the cab. So anyways, I loved both him and Trailbreaker growing up and I had to pick up Hoist since I wanted to check out the new mold. Funny story is that I actually have the re-release of G1 Hoist but never took him out of the box. So now I have this version. He actually is easy to transform even with his hands sticking out in vehicle mode (I wish they folded that part up better). But he is really neat and now I can't wait to get Trailbreaker.

So three pictures of him!
    ER_Hoist_01.jpg
    ER_Hoist_02.jpg
    ER_Hoist_03.jpg

Next up is Exhaust. I knew when I saw the Earthrise Wheeljack I would want this version but I resisted since I already have two Masterpiece versions of him and was glad that they made him into Exhaust! See for those who don't know, Exhaust was originally a Decepticon but for this line they gave him a new group called the Mercenary faction. I had to laugh that they put Decepticon in Katakana on his side and actually misspelled Exhaust on his rear spoiler. The original Exhaust was based off the Lancia painted up with the Marlboro design since they were the major sponsor for that car. This is why the coloring is red and white.

Anyways, here are the photos of him.
    ER_Exhaust_01.jpg
    ER_Exhaust_02.jpg
    ER_Exhaust_03.jpg

Finally up is the Alternate Universe Optimus Prime. Now the reason I got him is because I was told I should get the mold. I didn't want another Optimus Prime so this one is perfect. For those who don't know, in the original cartoons they made a movie. In that movie Optimus Prime dies. This caused a lot of issues with kids (well ok, they killed off a bunch of Transformers in that movie which also was a shock for us kids back then). So this mold they colored him in greys like he looked after he died and gave him a painted gash mark on his left side and damage on his head. Sorry I didn't get a really close up shot of his head. I do have to agree though this transformation is really fun! I love it and can't stop transforming him now.

Photo time!!!
    ER_Dead_Optimus_01.jpg
    ER_Dead_Optimus_02.jpg
    ER_Dead_Optimus_03.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
    Gray Optimus is very neat

Ok Entertainment Earth's site is dangerous, because you can preorder without putting anything down and lock in the order. This is like, the perfect system to fuck future me over when suddenly a bunch of shit I bought randomly months ago shows up.

I locked in a 10 inch Chrome Mandolorian and some blind box Samurai Jack soda figures. Those Samurai Jack ones must be popular because when I checked back just now it's sold out

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Well Hasbro and Takara/Tomy already joined forces prior to COVID-19 to have only one release line so yeah you may be right why there are smaller batches of toys from the good old days. Not to mention that toys don't seem to resonate with kids these days... Stupid digital crap.

Digital crap isn't what you should be blaming, if what I see from my kids and their friends are anything to go by. My son (9 y/o) and his friends are all wild about LEGO. They're super into Marvel heroes and all things Star Wars, but they have no interest in typical action figures for either. Vehicles? Sure! My son loved playing with my original Star Wars ships for quite a while, but never got into the figures that went with them. They have no apparent limits to the time they'll put into playing with LEGO sets and figures though. Part of it seems to just be the added freedom they allow - having a Star Wars ship battle is fun no matter what, but doing it with toys that allow you to customize the damage sustained over the course of the battle, and to change ship design on the fly to better deal with the enemy's tactics, is far more appealing to them.

My daughter (6 y/o) and her friends are more open to other toys - MLP figures or Barbie dolls are both popular, as well as anything related to Disney movies - but her LEGO sets and figures see the most play out of any of them.

Both spend way less time on video games than I did at their ages, though some of my son's friends are really into Minecraft. Fortnite is also popular with some kids, but not to as big an extent. The one area of digital that takes up more of their time is the massive selection and ease of use of streaming television, but even that largely leads them to new play interests - I know my son had no interest in LEGO Ninjago sets until he saw the movie and then started watching the cartoon.

They get into other things at times. My son loves the idea of Transformers and enjoyed the ones I bought for him for a while, but they haven't been touched in a long time. It's all about LEGO in the end.

Ketar wrote: »

Digital crap isn't what you should be blaming, if what I see from my kids and their friends are anything to go by. My son (9 y/o) and his friends are all wild about LEGO. They're super into Marvel heroes and all things Star Wars, but they have no interest in typical action figures for either. Vehicles? Sure! My son loved playing with my original Star Wars ships for quite a while, but never got into the figures that went with them. They have no apparent limits to the time they'll put into playing with LEGO sets and figures though. Part of it seems to just be the added freedom they allow - having a Star Wars ship battle is fun no matter what, but doing it with toys that allow you to customize the damage sustained over the course of the battle, and to change ship design on the fly to better deal with the enemy's tactics, is far more appealing to them.

My daughter (6 y/o) and her friends are more open to other toys - MLP figures or Barbie dolls are both popular, as well as anything related to Disney movies - but her LEGO sets and figures see the most play out of any of them.

Both spend way less time on video games than I did at their ages, though some of my son's friends are really into Minecraft. Fortnite is also popular with some kids, but not to as big an extent. The one area of digital that takes up more of their time is the massive selection and ease of use of streaming television, but even that largely leads them to new play interests - I know my son had no interest in LEGO Ninjago sets until he saw the movie and then started watching the cartoon.

They get into other things at times. My son loves the idea of Transformers and enjoyed the ones I bought for him for a while, but they haven't been touched in a long time. It's all about LEGO in the end.

Yeah thank you for reminding me that it really is not the content or whatever that is to blame, in the end it is the parents themselves. I should know better than to blame digital formats for taking away focus from toys, but it is the parents who are the ones who hook their kids on them. I'm happy to hear that another person has kids who really love Lego and other toys, but mainly creating with Lego. Thank you for the reminder and I'm glad your kids have fun not into Minecraft and Fortnite which pull a ton of kids.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Now THIS is how toys should launch!!!

Maybe this whole COVID-19 thing will make companies finally take note that they are losing money to scalpers and make more to allow people to get what they want.

That makes this weekend make more sense to me. I was out at Newbury Comics and I always check the Pops - my son collects the My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan figures and I tend to pick up anything Lilo and Stitch related - and there was a guy scooping up as many McDonald's ones as they'd let him buy. I didn't realize they were rare for a few days - I love seeing people get stuck with things like that.

Awesome, thanks! I cancelled my Amazon order (which I cancelled my previous Walmart order to get) which I made today for $43. Don't know if they'll ship this but it is a great deal.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Well shit, it's already sold out. Oh well, I have Doubledealer preordered at Hasbro Pulse, and apparently I can't cancel it anyway. I'm not sure if they're finally shipping them out? I don't understand how Hasbro's own online shop is so slow to get these things out.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Well shit, it's already sold out. Oh well, I have Doubledealer preordered at Hasbro Pulse, and apparently I can't cancel it anyway. I'm not sure if they're finally shipping them out? I don't understand how Hasbro's own online shop is so slow to get these things out.

Wow, I didn't think they would sell out. Well the good thing is that you will at least get him since Walmart doesn't have the best record with pre-orders.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Got my Spike Pop today!
    IMG-20200804-221155.jpg
    This set only has a few so this might be the first one I complete

Oooh, that Ein is cute!

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited August 2020
    Ive also gotten some really cool Glow in the Dark Pops, today Gambit came in and I got Venom Dr Strange the other day:
    oo92wtm50pfg.jpg
    tsybobyom8ax.jpg
    dw1c4r0hxin5.jpg
    64fp1ucqgav3.jpg
    I took a blacklight laser pointer to the glow parts to super charge them right before I snapped the pics! The Gambit has Glow plastic which looks incredible, the Venomized Dr Strange is simply painted on but still looks nice. Not pictured is a glow in the dark Tony Stark from Endgame, but it's a very small part that glows so it doesn't look good in photos

Local H Jay on
    edited August 2020
    So after years (ok not that long, but pretty long) I finally decided to transform my Masterpiece Megatron (MP-36).

Edit: He was fun to transform like a puzzle with the instructions as a cheat sheet. I sort of don't like how many panels there are in the gun mode, but I can understand why they did that to make the compromise to have a good looking robot mode. Also my finger guard doesn't tab in correctly which sort of bummed me out.

MP-36_Megatron_01.jpg
    MP-36_Megatron_02.jpg

Ramjet is puzzled how Megatron expects him to shoot at the Autobots after transforming.
    MP-36_Megatron_03.jpg

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Next up is Fans Toys Hunk which is their version of Transformers Brawn. Now I feel that have to explain why I bought this figure of a Transformer I have no attachment to (mainly for myself because from the outside all of my toys make no sense). Brawn is a main character in most of the cartoon shows, but I never really cared for the grumpy old timer for a few reasons. One he was a mini-bot that I did not have, two he was grumpy and pushy for the most part, and three well he just was not that important to me. I do have a newer toy of him to fill out the Transformers ranks and I was done with collecting robots of him. Now Fans Toys is one of those third party companies who restarted really fast after the COVID-19 shut down in China and collectors clamor over them to the point that they consider them to be on par or better than Takara (the official company in Japan who makes Transformers). The odd thing is that they came back but their prices were higher and yet their pre-orders were selling out like crazy (well for most of them at least). Seeing that I buy some odd 3P stuff just to check out the toys I decided that Hunk would be a good experiment to discover why everybody sings praises for their toys and the toy seemed interesting to me at least.

I got him in and I have to say I am impressed with their engineering and materials. They have some good metal parts (the legs and the chest) and the plastic doesn't feel cheap at all. The only part that I didn't like about it is the weird light eyes in vehicle mode. Basically the plastic they used to post in makes it look like he has eyes (thanks to the Transformers forum for that one since I can't unsee it now). They also didn't give him much head movement, he can look a bit left and right, but not up and down. He does have waist rotation and can do some crazy poses, but not over the top since he has his vehicle backpack (which is actually the hood and part of the back folded up inside of it). He is really a great mini-bot and I am glad I picked him up. He'll fit right in my collection of odd Transformers. Oh he doesn't come with Megatron's fusion cannon, that is from my Masterpiece MP-36+ (toy version) Megatron. He actually used his canon in the cartoon so I had to try a photo of it.

So more photos:
    FT_Hunk_01.jpg
    FT_Hunk_02.jpg
    FT_Hunk_03.jpg
    FT_Hunk_04.jpg
    FT_Hunk_05.jpg
    FT_Hunk_06.jpg
    FT_Hunk_07.jpg
    I wanted to ride in on Betsuni's coattails and contest his extremely professional and high-quality photos of Hunk with just fistfuls and fistfuls of my own very mediocre ones, but then I actually looked at mine on a computer screen and saw that he's covered in tiny fibers from the paper towel with which I attempted to wipe the factory-applied lubricant off of him, mostly in vain. I can't post those, the fibers bring the level down from "mediocre" to "badiocre"! I'll have to take some more photos after I clean him off.

After I wipe this Hunk down, ya know what I mean :winky:

Personally, I really like him. The articulation is extremely limited - 90-degree elbows, barely-more-than-90-degree knees, no ab crunch, the waist is extremely limited (folks say that you can get a few degrees even without unpegging the backpack, but on mine you definitely can't; however, the backpack is on pretty long pegs, so you can slide it halfway down the pegs and get some rotation and the backpack will still stay almost completely on). The ankle tilt is very limited, which I'm OK with, but there's no up-and-down toe-tilt, which sucks - I think that joint is crucial for getting any remotely-dynamic pose. Overall, I think the degree of articulation is fine, it doesn't make the toy worse in my eyes, but it's really puzzling to see him here with those limitations, and then see the Fans Toys Stunticons next to him with their ab crunch and double-jointed elbows and stuff. I wonder how many designers Fans Toys has working over there, and I wonder how many of these articulation choices are done for financial reasons (single-jointed elbows have fewer parts, so are cheaper to make and easier to assemble), how many for aesthetic reasons (the more articulation you have, the more compromised the sculpt will be, by necessity), and how may for ease-of-design reasons.

Like Betsuni said, the materials are top-notch. I also got the X-Transbots Stunticons recently, and man, you can really see the difference in plastic quality (XTB's has little stress marks on every figure) and paint quality (Fans Toys has like 90% paint coverage, XTB's is more... I dunno, maybe 40%, and the contrast between painted and unpainted plastic really stands out). In my opinion, Hunk looks absolutely perfect; I love the green and grey colors they used, and while I think the silver helmet looks a little out-of-place, I don't dislike it.

The transformation is really good. There are a couple of small moments that I think could have been done much better, but it's largely quite straightforward, and the way the legs unfold is pretty clever. I was also very impressed with the backpack. Yes, it's basically a bunch of flaps curled up and tucked into the roof of the vehicle, but what surprised me was how neatly that's done. Everything fits in just so, there's no wasted empty space, and as a result the backpack feels very solid and satisfying. I never expected to have any kind of an impression about a backpack, other than maybe "could have been smaller", but here we are.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So after years (ok not that long, but pretty long) I finally decided to transform my Masterpiece Megatron (MP-36).

Edit: He was fun to transform like a puzzle with the instructions as a cheat sheet. I sort of don't like how many panels there are in the gun mode, but I can understand why they did that to make the compromise to have a good looking robot mode. Also my finger guard doesn't tab in correctly which sort of bummed me out.

MP-36_Megatron_01.jpg
    MP-36_Megatron_02.jpg

Ramjet is puzzled how Megatron expects him to shoot at the Autobots after transforming.
    MP-36_Megatron_03.jpg

Oh, I know that transformer! But only because of this comic.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Cambiata wrote: »

MP-36_Megatron_01.jpg
    MP-36_Megatron_02.jpg

MP-36_Megatron_03.jpg

Oh, I know that transformer! But only because of this comic.

Hahaha that made me laugh harder than it should!
    Delduwath wrote: »

So more photos:
    FT_Hunk_01.jpg
    FT_Hunk_02.jpg
    FT_Hunk_03.jpg
    FT_Hunk_04.jpg
    FT_Hunk_05.jpg
    FT_Hunk_06.jpg
    FT_Hunk_07.jpg
    I wanted to ride in on Betsuni's coattails and contest his extremely professional and high-quality photos of Hunk with just fistfuls and fistfuls of my own very mediocre ones, but then I actually looked at mine on a computer screen and saw that he's covered in tiny fibers from the paper towel with which I attempted to wipe the factory-applied lubricant off of him, mostly in vain. I can't post those, the fibers bring the level down from "mediocre" to "badiocre"! I'll have to take some more photos after I clean him off.

After I wipe this Hunk down, ya know what I mean :winky:

Personally, I really like him. The articulation is extremely limited - 90-degree elbows, barely-more-than-90-degree knees, no ab crunch, the waist is extremely limited (folks say that you can get a few degrees even without unpegging the backpack, but on mine you definitely can't; however, the backpack is on pretty long pegs, so you can slide it halfway down the pegs and get some rotation and the backpack will still stay almost completely on). The ankle tilt is very limited, which I'm OK with, but there's no up-and-down toe-tilt, which sucks - I think that joint is crucial for getting any remotely-dynamic pose. Overall, I think the degree of articulation is fine, it doesn't make the toy worse in my eyes, but it's really puzzling to see him here with those limitations, and then see the Fans Toys Stunticons next to him with their ab crunch and double-jointed elbows and stuff. I wonder how many designers Fans Toys has working over there, and I wonder how many of these articulation choices are done for financial reasons (single-jointed elbows have fewer parts, so are cheaper to make and easier to assemble), how many for aesthetic reasons (the more articulation you have, the more compromised the sculpt will be, by necessity), and how may for ease-of-design reasons.

Like Betsuni said, the materials are top-notch. I also got the X-Transbots Stunticons recently, and man, you can really see the difference in plastic quality (XTB's has little stress marks on every figure) and paint quality (Fans Toys has like 90% paint coverage, XTB's is more... I dunno, maybe 40%, and the contrast between painted and unpainted plastic really stands out). In my opinion, Hunk looks absolutely perfect; I love the green and grey colors they used, and while I think the silver helmet looks a little out-of-place, I don't dislike it.

The transformation is really good. There are a couple of small moments that I think could have been done much better, but it's largely quite straightforward, and the way the legs unfold is pretty clever. I was also very impressed with the backpack. Yes, it's basically a bunch of flaps curled up and tucked into the roof of the vehicle, but what surprised me was how neatly that's done. Everything fits in just so, there's no wasted empty space, and as a result the backpack feels very solid and satisfying. I never expected to have any kind of an impression about a backpack, other than maybe "could have been smaller", but here we are.

Sorry I took away your thunder from your great posts. I tried to present my thoughts like you did, but I come up far short of them. I do try to overcome my writing with photos in my wife's photo booth.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh dude, your posts are great! No need to try and emulate me - do your thing, man.

Also, I'm really glad that you got to post about that guy before I did. Partially because it's nice to read someone else's thoughts about a third-party toy in this thread (I feel like I talk about them often, and at length), and partially because you've been waiting for that guy for a while, and had some reservations, so I think it's more special that you got to talk about him first (as opposed to me, who's been getting new 3P toys like every month since winter...)