As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Approximate

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Approximate

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I just watched a really sad thing that made me cry before I came here and did not have the emotional fortitude to handle that last panel without tears.

Anon von Zilch on
  • Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    I just watched a really sad thing that made me cry before I came here and did not have the emotional fortitude to handle that last panel without tears.

Hugs for you too. :(

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I think I miss hugs the most in these times. No physical contact for 4 months has been rough.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Last panel. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Quiss42Quiss42 Registered User regular
    Though I'm more of the no-hugs-please kind, this one touched me. Thank you!

• Options
    1dunnj1dunnj Registered User new member
    SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Get your fictional cartoon avatars of your fantasy selves 6ft away from each other! And put on a G'DAng MASK!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I don't even have the previous sad thing as an excuse

The last thing I was looking at was the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003

*sniff*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    1dunnj wrote: »
    SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Get your fictional cartoon avatars of your fantasy selves 6ft away from each other! And put on a G'DAng MASK!

Too late. All the elderly characters in other comic strips are doomed now.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Next two weeks: Gabe and Tycho are in hazmat suits

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I don't even have the previous sad thing as an excuse

The last thing I was looking at was the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003

*sniff*

To be fair, taxes do make many people cry.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    RIP guys, it's been fun. :(

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Next two weeks: Gabe and Tycho are in hazmat suits

In a hazmat suit.

• Options
    alex.rosenheimalex.rosenheim Registered User new member
    ,;;;;;,
    ;;;;;;;;;
    ;;;;'''''';
    ;;C /))))\
    /'`;| (((((((|
    ( (_|( |))))))
    ,( \ \(((((((|
    ( \ `._)))))))),_
    | \ \`\`""""' |)
    )\ `\ ) \_____/_|
    | \ `\' _.,-' |
    | \ \.,-' _./ |
    | \ _.-'' | ;
    \___\__.-' ; )
    |----| _.--,;' ;
    ,' , | ( __.,-'
    | ,' ,' `""'' `.
    | ; )
    `, ( )
    | ( ,' Normand Veilleux
    | | ( based on work by
    | | | Tua Xiong
    | | |
    | |___________|
    | | | |

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    Undrawn fourth panel, Tycho coughs.

Honestly, I kind of liked the social distancing comics, just because they had a lot of creativity in what they were doing in the background. But luckily I read somewhere that the odds of webcomic characters catching COVID was very low, something about them being more susceptible to computer viruses than coronaviruses, IDK. So they'll probably be fine.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Darkest timeline version:

d0XnPYY.jpg

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    AstralMuffinAstralMuffin Registered User regular
    This one really got me :'(

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh my god, Tycho's post.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have to be honest, I still see my friends fairly often. Small groups, no more then 6 of us. But all the husbands work at the same place, and all the wives are wfh. We recognize the risk but we all miss each other to much to just not be in close contact. In September my wife, son, and I are driving down to a rental property and a friend is flying in. Sometimes you have to assess the risk, minimize it as much as possible, and then take a chance.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    3:1 odds that the next strip has them both dead of Corona.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CorydharmaCorydharma Registered User new member
    This is cute. Also someone should make a full frame art print of that last panel and hang it up in the PA office.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    furlion wrote: »
    I have to be honest, I still see my friends fairly often. Small groups, no more then 6 of us. But all the husbands work at the same place, and all the wives are wfh. We recognize the risk but we all miss each other to much to just not be in close contact. In September my wife, son, and I are driving down to a rental property and a friend is flying in. Sometimes you have to assess the risk, minimize it as much as possible, and then take a chance.

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. It's where I think everyone will have to get eventually because this isn't going to just disappear. I think people should be able to assess their daily lives and then decide if they feel safe enough to risk a little social contact. I feel pretty good about it myself since I have been working from home since March and I didn't socialize much even before Covid. I'm not especially worried about getting sick from passing someone in the aisle of the grocery store -- especially now that my state has made masks mandatory -- and that's one of the few places I go these days.

For the first couple months my retired parents and I played it very safe. We didn't get together for Easter or Mother's Day. But since that time I have seen them a few times and even -- GASP -- hugged my mom more than once. No one has gotten sick. People could say we were lucky that no one got sick, but I feel we just assessed our individual lives and decided we felt safe enough to see each other. I feel like everyone will eventually have to take that leap and live out their own panel #3 moment.

MarcinMN on

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    jnessjness Registered User new member
    MarcinMN wrote: »

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. It's where I think everyone will have to get eventually because this isn't going to just disappear. I think people should be able to assess their daily lives and then decide if they feel safe enough to risk a little social contact. I feel pretty good about it myself since I have been working from home since March and I didn't socialize much even before Covid. I'm not especially worried about getting sick from passing someone in the aisle of the grocery store -- especially now that my state has made masks mandatory -- and that's one of the few places I go these days.

For the first couple months my retired parents and I played it very safe. We didn't get together for Easter or Mother's Day. But since that time I have seen them a few times and even -- GASP -- hugged my mom more than once. No one has gotten sick. People could say we were lucky that no one got sick, but I feel we just assessed our individual lives and decided we felt safe enough to see each other. I feel like everyone will eventually have to take that leap and live out their own panel #3 moment.

Except - unfortunately - it's not actually just about whether you and your family "feel safe", and about the other people around you that you potentially put at risk.

• Options
    jerodastjerodast Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Oh my god, Tycho's post.

I was trying to remember - is this literally the shortest news post attached to a strip ever? I know there have been short supplemental ones with like a title and a link or something, but I can't ever recall Tycho just not writing a post to accompany the strip to make a point. Really punctuated the emotion for me!

• Options
    jness wrote: »

Except - unfortunately - it's not actually just about whether you and your family "feel safe", and about the other people around you that you potentially put at risk.

What other people? Were there people hiding in the backseat of my car when I drove to my parent's house? Were they hiding behind mom and dad's sofa?

Let me guess. You're thinking, "You could be asymptomatic! You could be spreading it and not even know it!" Well, as I said before, I know MY life and I'm intelligent enough to realize the chances that I have picked up this virus are incredibly slim. You don't know my day to day routine and neither does anyone else here. I'm so tired of people who are afraid, and whenever they see someone who isn't as afraid as they are, they try to drag them back down with them. What's worse is, they pass it off as this high moral ground of protecting those faceless "other people" that we're all supposedly endangering if we do anything other than cower in our homes.

I am able to visit people who are close to me without going near another living soul along the way. I'm not going to spend the next several years -- and it will probably be that long -- being afraid of the asymptomatic boogeyman. I'm not saying I've thrown all caution to the wind. I'll wear the stupid mask when I'm required to. I'll keep my distance from random strangers. I'll even avoid large gatherings for a while longer when it's in my ability to do so. Hell, I was doing all this for years even before Covid (except for the mask).

Exactly what ending are you waiting for where you'll say to yourself, "Ok. I think I can see the people I care about in person again." Do you think the virus will just be gone someday? That seems unlikely from what I've been reading. Do you think a vaccine will show up and make it all go away? I don't doubt that we'll have a vaccine at some point, but lately it's been sounding like it will not be some lifelong fix like some other vaccines and that it will probably be more like the flu shot and will be needed on a regular basis. How many people do you think will get the vaccine? In today's world, I think it's incredibly optimistic to think that we'll even get to 50% of people. If they are stupid and try to force everybody to get it, then it will be higher, but still probably not high enough to get to herd immunity. All that tells me that this virus is here to stay, and you're never going to be completely sure that you and your loved ones are safe. So how long until you say, "Screw it. I'm tired of living this way." As I've said, everyone is going to get there eventually. Some will just take longer than others.

If you're even still reading at this point, I'm sure words like "selfish" are going through your head. Perhaps the obnoxious label of "Karen?" Well, don't waste too much time on a reply. I've said my piece and I'm confident that I'm within an acceptable level as far as endangering those faceless innocents go. I'm not going to be talked back into cowering again. If you think I'm endangering people right and left, that's only because you are making wild assumptions about how I live my life and those assumptions are completely inaccurate.

I wish you the best on the road to acceptance.

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    jness wrote: »

What other people? Were there people hiding in the backseat of my car when I drove to my parent's house? Were they hiding behind mom and dad's sofa?

Let me guess. You're thinking, "You could be asymptomatic! You could be spreading it and not even know it!" Well, as I said before, I know MY life and I'm intelligent enough to realize the chances that I have picked up this virus are incredibly slim. You don't know my day to day routine and neither does anyone else here.

I think people made an assumption when you said you were keeping away from your parents that you must have a reason. Because you were having more than minimal exposure to potentially catching it. If your day to day routine puts you in no reasonable chance to catch it, I think most people would be surprised that you had cut off contact to begin with. Maybe that was a bad assumption, but I think you kind of set up people to make it.

As for my family, we did cut off physical contact with my mother-in-law (who lives nearby and gets together with us often as well as helps take care of the kids a lot). This was back when we were still getting groceries in person (now we do near 100% contactless pick up). She does the same. Once that happened (about a month in), we decided to join households again.

dennis on
  • Options
    Adam DuckieAdam Duckie Registered User regular
    The digital world can being us together in the most simplest ways.