As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

College Football: Da Coach O is a Superspreader

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    You wanna stop COVID-19 for a couple weeks, tell Urban Meyer it got charged with a felony

Or , something something, "A Real Schiano Man" would embrace the CORVID!

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    ADs are reportedly preferring an 8 team playoff when the current deal expires after '26. Five major conference champions and top rated Group of Five get auto bids, two at large teams selected by the committee.

Will we never get away from the goddamn popularity contest bullshit?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    ADs are reportedly preferring an 8 team playoff when the current deal expires after '26. Five major conference champions and top rated Group of Five get auto bids, two at large teams selected by the committee.

Will we never get away from the goddamn popularity contest bullshit?

No.

This has been another edition of Simple Answers to Simple Questions.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I really haven’t had any issues with just 4 teams except for the year UCF won the natty despite not being invited

But even with that being said expanding the field is great!
    Undefeated Natty.

UCF claimed they were the best undefeated CFB team in the country that year, and the Colley Matrix backed 'em up. If they'd had one loss, they'd be on the same tier as the "actual" champion, which they would lose (and did lose) in votes to.

They rules lawyered their way to it, and it pissed off everyone that already thought UCF was getting too big for it's britches, which means it's a success.

sig.gif
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Iowa football players allege racially biased mistreatment. Most of it by Ferentz's long time strength coach, but some from the Ferentzes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, the PAC-12 is going to do a conference only schedule in this literal fever nightmare, let's see the opener...

(reads listing)

What the fuck? We're fucking opening with the Battle for the Bell? What drunk goose came up with that?

(And yeah, we should not be having a fucking season in the first place, which is the first obscenity in the schedule. Putting one of the major grudge matches as the fucking opener is a distant second.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    So, the PAC-12 is going to do a conference only schedule in this literal fever nightmare, let's see the opener...

(reads listing)

What the fuck? We're fucking opening with the Battle for the Bell? What drunk goose came up with that?

(And yeah, we should not be having a fucking season in the first place, which is the first obscenity in the schedule. Putting one of the major grudge matches as the fucking opener is a distant second.)

If Michigan Ohio State happens it's happening early in the season. Utter madness.

(reads listing)

If Michigan Ohio State happens it's happening early in the season. Utter madness.

Dogs and cats living together.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    It's because they know damned well they won't finish the season, so anything on the back end of the schedule isn't happening.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    It's because they know damned well they won't finish the season, so anything on the back end of the schedule isn't happening.

Also because it will be harder to cancel the season with a grudge match coming up than it would be if the big games are already over with.

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »

Also because it will be harder to cancel the season with a grudge match coming up than it would be if the big games are already over with.

I was looking, and almost all the PAC-12 grudge matches are preloaded. You have two openers (Battle of the Bell, Territorial Cup), Civil War is in week 4, and Battle of the Bay is Week 5. Only the Apple Cup is at the end of the season.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Rutgers is looking like to level the ultimate CFB parental threat with their outbreak jeopardizing the Big Ten season. "We brought you into this world and we can take you back out of it."

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    University of Florida will continue to never leave the state of Florida, so that’s an easy adjustment for them.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Rutgers threatening the Big Ten?

That’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    University of Florida will continue to never leave the state of Florida, so that’s an easy adjustment for them.

And even then avoiding FSU too.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Rutgers threatening the Big Ten?

That’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off.

Threatening in the sense that their outbreak is bad enough the Big Ten can't just ignore it as a player or two got unlucky and pretend everything will be fine.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    UCONN has officially cancelled their CFB season for this year. I will not be surprised if a bunch of the smaller schools begin following in their footsteps. Now that someone has been the first, the damn is open and I think other schools will be willing to do the same.

PSN|AspectVoid
    It also doesn't hurt that they have a greater than average chance of not winning a single game this season anyway.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »
    It also doesn't hurt that they have a greater than average chance of not winning a single game this season anyway.

The bigger thing is that UConn makes their money on basketball, not football.

Big Ten schedule is out, M/OSU the weekend before Halloween. Definitely a rush to try to get the big TV draw in before they have to shut down. Plus side, they fixed the thing where Michigan State and Ohio State are synchronized home/road finally. Which was almost definitely done just because everyone else in the Big Ten hated Dave Brandon as much as Michigan fans did.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Well Michigan will have to win a game against OSU sometime may as well be during the fake season

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I love me some college football but I can't imagine watching anything this fall.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Sorce wrote: »

The bigger thing is that UConn makes their money on basketball, not football.
    Naah.

Nothing is bigger than the annual ConFLiCT.

sig.gif
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ah yes, the rivalry almost nobody has ever heard of, including most people who go to the schools involved
    In June 2015, Diaco had a trophy built for the series and announced it on Twitter. UCF had not been aware of it beforehand.[6][7][8] The Knights' head coach and interim athletic director George O'Leary dismissed both the trophy and the motivations for a rivalry between the two teams.[9] Diaco responded by saying, "They [UCF] don't get to say whether they are our rival or not."[3][10] The New York Post said that Diaco created the "worst rivalry in sports history."[11]

The teams played three times during Diaco's tenure as head coach and twice following his announcement of the trophy. Connecticut won in 2014 and 2015. UCF won the 2016 game, and proceeded to exit the field without acknowledging or accepting the trophy.[12]

Fucking LoL

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    It's my second favorite internet only rivalry. To the $5 Broken Bits of Chair Trophy game.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    In 'lol, are you fucking kidding me' news, Michigan's athletic director has issued a plea to season ticket holders.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2020/08/06/michigan-football-season-tickets-warde-manuel/3311119001/

One of the richest athletic department in sports has asked that - even though season tickets won't be available this year - would season ticket holders please contribute the same amount as a gift to the UM Athletic Department.

Harbaugh did take a one-year 10% pay cut in line with other senior positions at the University, but still stands to make something like $6.75 million this season.

Meanwhile Michigan Medicine already lost 1400 full time positions and I don't believe the full details of the academic side's economic recovery plan have come through.

That seems like a non-story? He's asking for help, because duh. The institution at large is financially independent from the athletic department and will almost certainly be begging for money from alums (though they can get fucked until Paul Schmidt is suspended and investigated, as far as I'm concerned).

As if I needed more reasons to loathe Ohio State:

Fuck your solidarity!

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    That seems like a non-story? He's asking for help, because duh. The institution at large is financially independent from the athletic department and will almost certainly be begging for money from alums (though they can get fucked until Paul Schmidt is suspended and investigated, as far as I'm concerned).

It's a non-story. UT Athletic Director did the exact same thing two weeks ago.

As if I needed more reasons to loathe Ohio State:

Fuck your solidarity!

Yeah no shock here

Tuf sucks and has no future so its easy for him to be the spokesperson and hopefully get some personal benefit out of it

Clemson is the only school I’d rank worse than OSU in terms of expected shitty response

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I also imagine the OSU players are getting paid pretty well already so they wouldn’t really see the system as exploitative.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    edited August 2020
    Nirya wrote: »
    I also imagine the OSU players are getting paid pretty well already so they wouldn’t really see the system as exploitative.

Actually this is a reason for them to sit out

A lot of OSU’s guys don’t really need to play to get noticed, and can avoid injury before getting their pro contracts

Tuf probably isn’t getting paid, and has no pro career ahead of him, and everyone here also hates him for sucking enormous shit so he’s not in the OSU->talk radio pipeline

Captain Inertia on
    MAC has cancelled their football season. First 1A conference to do so.

What will I do on Tuesday night

What will I do on Tuesday night

Not get any MACtion, like the rest of us.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Have to admit to being very proud of the conference for doing this. It'll suck not having any MACtion this season, but keeping people safe beats any kind of sports all hollow.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Looks like we're finished, here.
    Commissioners of the Power 5 conferences held an emergency meeting on Sunday, as there is growing concern among college athletics officials that the upcoming football season and other fall sports can’t be played because of the coronavirus pandemic, sources told ESPN.

Several sources have indicated to ESPN that Big Ten presidents, following a meeting on Saturday, are ready to pull the plug on its fall sports season, and they wanted to gauge if commissioners and university presidents and chancellors from the other Power 5 conferences — the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC — will fall in line with them.

Via LGM

How badly will the NFL fuck this one up?

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Willing to bet the commissioners are more concerned with the growing unity movement by student athletes more than COVID

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Willing to bet the commissioners are more concerned with the growing unity movement by student athletes more than COVID

As long as something brings them in touch with reality I don't care what moves them toward canceling sports during a pandemic.

steam_sig.png
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Yeah, rumors I’ve seen are that the unity movement is forcing uni presidents to confront the idea of liabilities that the colleges clearly weren’t prepared for.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
This discussion has been closed.