As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    so the ideal way for me to play right now seems to be in VR, on permadeath, with the HUD off on foot and on in the cockpit (if you find your cockpit :lol: )

VR with the HUD off remains so god damn immersive, even in the blurry PSVR. i really wish you could play the whole game this way, and with some work arounds you can at least get out of the starting system (probably technically, by extension, the centre) but there are still bad graphical glitches for me in space and the quests are a no-go. kinda just want a 'skip tutorial' option... and some in-cockpit quest indicators maybe?

anyway i can't really overstate how this way of playing improves the game. when you're on foot without distractions the planets really feel unique, even within the more prescriptive biomes post-NEXT, and exploration is exhilarating when you know you can easily get lost and die

this was a beautiful ice world with immense caves. i struck out too far to ever find my ship, and never came across so much as a save point after a couple of hours. i was in a rhythm by the end and could have kept going, to find some way to trade for a crude ship, but the family came home :bigfrown:

https://youtu.be/cxhBTSt0oiI

this was from today's much more successful run. started on another ice world with big, distinct rock formations so i could orient myself easily. the ship was close by, and so was a transmission tower; it seems like any shack you find once you've found your ship will yield the hermetic seal. off the ground i checked out the puzzle's crash site - lo and behold, a crashed hauler with a trade value of 9 million. so within an hour i'd traced the highway lines to a trading post and picked up an A-class shuttle with 27 slots. then i headed to the first off-planet quest marker:

https://youtu.be/xrCSVdFstfY

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I actually just finished a permadeath run to get the achievement.

I got to the new galaxy and promptly died because all my tools were broken and I couldn't get to/build a shelter in time. Still, the achievement was the whole point.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    my freighter got transformed into a different shape
    that's weird
    guess i'm back to freighter shopping

yeah lol this happened to me.

Also kinda sucks, but I keep finding derelicts randomly (Not using any items) but they can't be boarded in that instance. It seems only when you pay the 5 mil funbux.

edited July 2020
    Dixon wrote: »
    that's weird

Also kinda sucks, but I keep finding derelicts randomly (Not using any items) but they can't be boarded in that instance. It seems only when you pay the 5 mil funbux.

Also had this happen. I thought it just meant the old ones are still in too.

Has anyone found any explore-able derelict at random? Or are we literally restricted to 5mil purchases and the weekly free one from Helios?

-edit-

And the ones from asteroids.

MuddBudd on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Hey @bsjezz how are you even playing it in PSVR!? The blurriness was so bad for me I started getting a migraine.

it's off putting at first and it's still draining to play for long stretches (though i find that to be true of all VR), but i think i just got used to it? i don't think it's the fault of the game, i feel like it's just the limitations of the hardware's resolution when you're trying to pick out small details in huge landscapes. recently the texture pop-in has been bugging me a bit more, but honestly the feeling of scale makes up for all that

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Are you using a regular dualshock controller?

edited July 2020
    nah i use the moves, but i have pretty much all the comfort options turned off (teleport movement / snap turning). the move controls are a huge part of the immersion and the advantage of VR - you can, for example, punch crystals open, or pluck oxygen from a snap plant then smash it dead, not to mention just look around and visually explore while your mining laser is trained on something in your peripheral vision

edit: space combat is way harder, but the visceral feeling of controlling the ship as you take off and cruise over planets is amazing too

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hmmm
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    that's weird

Has anyone found any explore-able derelict at random? Or are we literally restricted to 5mil purchases and the weekly free one from Helios?

-edit-

I didn’t know there was a free weekly one, I’ll check for that.

I’m playing after a hiatus, I didn’t realize there was already derelicts in the game. That makes more sense then.

I’m assuming by the asteroid ones you mean when breaking them and getting maps? I have done that and it still gave me a non-interactive derelict.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    that's weird

-edit-

I've found an explorable derelict after 4/5 runs with the asteroid "anomaly detectors".

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Just reinstalled the game. Holy hell. This is a new god damned game. Like even more than Beyond which I only put a few hours into. It's funny I was searching for a new survival game and was like "Why not peek into NMS again. . ." God damn am I glad I did. Theres still some jank in the game (including old tutorial instructions that don't actually work) but overall the game is a blast. If this had started in EA instead of getting shoved out on to the PS4, it would have been one of the best success stories of the decade I am sure.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I've recently dipped back into into, too, tempted back by infested Space Hulks and giant mechs.

I've also just found the recipe for the underwater base starter plate, and am now tempted to find a water world so I can build a giant, sprawling underwater base...

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I've recently dipped back into into, too, tempted back by infested Space Hulks and giant mechs.

I've also just found the recipe for the underwater base starter plate, and am now tempted to find a water world so I can build a giant, sprawling underwater base...

I think at some point the game will throw a whole questline about it at you? I actually stopped playing while in the middle of it.

• MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    I jumped back in, now I'm just having fun crashing economies... I did make a big mistake not realizing I couldn't buy back items sold to other ship pilots though... 30mil in Chlorine gone right there...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I think at some point the game will throw a whole questline about it at you? I actually stopped playing while in the middle of it.

I think that’s where I am. I need three of something chlorine to build the bay, though, and I haven’t had time to go hunting for some, yet.

I liked the bases in Subnautica, so I’m looking forward to seeing what you can make in this.

Glass corridors for life, yo !

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Holy shit. The game has multiplayer now!? Like legit "join and meet other players for co-op missions" multiplayer. God damn. If this game was allowed to release in Early Access. . .(I actually enjoyed this game for HOURS on the PS4 so I was all in despite the undelivered - at the time - hype).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Just started this back up.

20 slots in the storage containers now.

IM IN HEAVEN.

Somewhat of a newbie question hopefully someone can answer...

Trying to farm nanites by buying/scrapping ships like I saw in a few guides. Problem is, they showed using the shop storage upgrades you get to raise the value of a ship and make back your money so you can do it indefinitely. For me though, the value of the ships isn't going up when I add the upgrades, so I'm just steadily spending money. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Also. I lucked into a system that is steadily spawning an exotic at the space station, so that's kind of nice...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Are you using crashed ships to do this? All of those broken components in a crashed ship severely reduce the value.

Donnicton wrote: »
    Are you using crashed ships to do this? All of those broken components in a crashed ship severely reduce the value.

Nope. Sit at a space station buying and scrapping cheap B+ class ships, then you're supposed to be able to apply a bunch of storage augments to a single ship to raise its value before scrapping it to get back the money you lost from the other ones. For some reason applying augments isn't raising value for me though.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    How old is the guide? It's possible that just doesn't work anymore. The big patches typically bring some pretty sweeping changes.

Apparently derelicts have a symbol on them that shows what kind of upgrade they will give if you choose that option at the end.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    If I build a base with a bunch of landing platforms, will NPC ships land on them, or do they only use platforms present at Trading Posts / Space Stations?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    Yes, placing additional landing pads will encourage NPCs to land there.

Apparently derelicts have a symbol on them that shows what kind of upgrade they will give if you choose that option at the end.

I'd probably bank the derelict maps for now, because the current experimental branch is implementing schematics for house decorations based on some of the furniture in the derelicts and you can only get those schematics from derelicts.

They're also fixing a really annoying bug that can happen on live where a particular piece of furniture can spawn in the middle of a hallway and block your progress.

yeaaaaa boiiii
    B022B3B59B7EC82445482AB4678359473B5E4680
    614B8F14EEBEFC580D49E3BF91E9F362860EB05B

Getting it outfitted with some tech modules next.

Also made this lovely base, which is so far pumping out 133k units of Activated Indium every 5 hours.
    4B72EC191B7D30E4BEB59512B0C44B35324C47D5

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    There's a subreddit called NMS Coordinate Exchange
    I use it to find cool ship and multitool locations... considering it's ALL random, i find it 100% valid.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I have that exact ship in yellow.

I've heard that Helios gives a free Derelict beacon every week, but he never has one when I visit. Do I have to buy a beacon from the Scrap Dealer first?

Currently Playing:
    I've heard that Helios gives a free Derelict beacon every week, but he never has one when I visit. Do I have to buy a beacon from the Scrap Dealer first?

Maybe? I couldn't get one from him until the first weekend event after the patch hit, but I did buy one before that as well.

So I'm at the point in the Artemis quest where you have to find a portal, but everytime I use the indicated monolith my game CTD.

I even know where a portal is! But the quest won't advance when I go there.

Oh well. Lots of other things to do.

Currently Playing:
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular

You have to go on one scrap dealer adventure for Helios's receivers to unlock, yes.

edited August 2020
    So apparently the final leg of the living ship quests always sends you to a specific planet in Euclid via stargate portal. So of course if you have online mode activated, there are player bases all over the planet.

In fact, as soon as you step out of the portal you're greeted with this

D0DA6BA4318812739D63116EA50817DF3AC3847B

A single storage unit connected to a mining farm in the distance that was loaded with 150k Indium.

Donnicton on
    So I'm at the point in the Artemis quest where you have to find a portal, but everytime I use the indicated monolith my game CTD.

usually the easiest resolution for this kind of glitch is to go to another part of the galaxy (maybe through the nexus these days? you used to just jump into someone else's world) then restart the quest in the quest log, which is an option when you're too far from its original location

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    bsjezz wrote: »

usually the easiest resolution for this kind of glitch is to go to another part of the galaxy (maybe through the nexus these days? you used to just jump into someone else's world) then restart the quest in the quest log, which is an option when you're too far from its original location
    Oh my goodness thank you so much for this tip. I couldn't advance any of the main quests because of the glitch and I was about to abandon my playthrough.

Currently Playing:
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    So apparently the final leg of the living ship quests always sends you to a specific planet in Euclid via stargate portal. So of course if you have online mode activated, there are player bases all over the planet.

In fact, as soon as you step out of the portal you're greeted with this

snipperoo

A single storage unit connected to a mining farm in the distance that was loaded with 150k Indium.

I'm glad you explained, because I was trying to figure out what the hell UNCLIUM was. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    This game has one of the coolest and nicest communities i've ever seen.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

The part of the community that plays the game is super nice and helpful and sweet. The part of the community that doesn't play is still enraged about the launch, and they attempt to derail as many conversations about the game with their toxic bullshit as they can. It's a weird fuckin thing to experience

JtgVX0H.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

The part of the community that plays the game is super nice and helpful and sweet. The part of the community that doesn't play is still enraged about the launch, and they attempt to derail as many conversations about the game with their toxic bullshit as they can. It's a weird fuckin thing to experience

I'm not sure if it's fair to call the contingent of always angry not-players "part of the community". They're more like the antithesis outside the player community that just wants to burn the creators in effigy (or in person) for all eternity to soothe their own disappointment and feeling of being cheated.

Like, I don't consider the people who constantly complain about every little thing in the Star Wars canon as part of the Star Wars community either, any more than "concerned parents against violent video games" are part of the video game playing community, or atheists are part of the Christian community.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

I'm not sure if it's fair to call the contingent of always angry not-players "part of the community". They're more like the antithesis outside the player community that just wants to burn the creators in effigy (or in person) for all eternity to soothe their own disappointment and feeling of being cheated.

Like, I don't consider the people who constantly complain about every little thing in the Star Wars canon as part of the Star Wars community either, any more than "concerned parents against violent video games" are part of the video game playing community, or atheists are part of the Christian community.

True, but the people I'm talking about continuously inhabit the same online spaces as the players and just shit on the game every chance they get. Unless my view of things are skewed, which is very possible, but any online place to discuss NMS seems to have posts talking about how great the game and how it has positively impacted their life next to posts talking about how the game is shit from a butt and Sean Murray is worse than Hitler.

JtgVX0H.png