As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 5

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    New York's budget is almost triple LA's and it only has like twice the people? New York, explain.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Also Denver can go fuck itself for putting the police and fire budgets together in one bucket that I had to go separate

Who does that????

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    New York's budget is almost triple LA's and it only has like twice the people? New York, explain.

9/11 + Compstat.

Not sayin it’s right, just sayin how it got there.

rhylith on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Those overseas deployments don't pay for themselves, you know.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Also Denver can go fuck itself for putting the police and fire budgets together in one bucket that I had to go separate

Who does that????

People who want to hide the police budget.

Fencingsax on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

It's because of how the city of los angeles is carved weirdly out of the geographic space people typically think of as "LA" so it's actually worse than it looks.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Who does that????

People who want to hide the police budget.

Believe me when I say there are much better ways to hide a budget.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    better? sure

easier though?

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Gustav wrote: »
    better? sure

easier though?

Also yes.

What it is, honestly, is probably the department reorganizing the budget under "outcomes" of which public safety is the one that fire and police would both fall under and then I didn't go looking long enough to find the departmental budgets.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So, did old ladies really get paint thrown on them in Portland last night or is the hype beast running wild?

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I think Obama running as a progressive and governing like a centrist Democrat and being a war hawk probably turned off a lot new Democrats

I'll be surprised if we ever see an excited surge of voters for any candidate comparable to the Obama campaign ever again

I think you will but it'll be awhile. People have both long and short memories.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    We've had about, what, 70 odd days of protests now?

Does my heart good to go and watch videos of people still protesting in the States and around the world.

A lot of focus is on the PNW which is fair enough; some relatively heavy shit has been happening there and I think a lot of formers are from there?

It's good to see plenty of other people still voicing their displeasure

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Gundi wrote: »
    I think Obama running as a progressive and governing like a centrist Democrat and being a war hawk probably turned off a lot new Democrats

I'll be surprised if we ever see an excited surge of voters for any candidate comparable to the Obama campaign ever again

Bigger issue is that there were no real gains to justify his foreign policy besides killing Osama.

While his domestic policies were smeared when greasy Republican palm prints.

People gonna ask, "For all that effort, what did we get?"

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Forum bug post, thanks Obama

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

Indeed.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    so apparently hillary clinton is letting bipoc folks take over her personal instagram which is actually a pretty cool thing?

apparently yesterday was erika alexander and big freedia, who are people I am almost positive hillary clinton does not know exist

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Its only pretty cool if it reflects some actual change in message.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

oh I doubt it will, but megaphoning bipoc and queer voices is good

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

oh I doubt it will, but megaphoning bipoc and queer voices is good

Eh Im not sure how much value there is in establishment figures finding minorities that will just say the same things they already are.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Osama was murdered long after he was rendered irrelevant, and that murder was used to justify nearly two decades of genocide and war crimes, so

Thanks, Obama,

I guess

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    So uh, okay, I hate to remind people of this monstrosity

But I honestly thought that Bork the Bluh mural was a photoshop

I didn't realize someone had actually painted it without a permit

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    Utah literally goes in harder on people with paint than on actual child rapists.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    McNeil is alleged of buying red paint at Home Deport before a July 9 protest. The charging documents say she yelled at officers and shifted her weight as if to slam into police

Ahh yes, the dangerous, life imprisonment worthy crime, shifting one's weight.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    No actual justice system would take "shifted her weight as if to slam into police" seriously.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I feel like if you're going to be giving people life sentences for mild offenses then people will start feeling like well shit might as well earn those years

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular

*breathes in deep*

THANK FUCKING CHRIST!

IKknkhU.gif
    Cello wrote: »
    So uh, okay, I hate to remind people of this monstrosity

But I honestly thought that Bork the Bluh mural was a photoshop

I didn't realize someone had actually painted it without a permit

oh it gets better

somebody defaced it a few days ago and now the cops are looking for the "vandal"

and today somebody defaced it and subsequently died in a traffic accident that is now being investigated

also, the mayor is fine with the mural despite it being illegal and also marching with protestors

she also does not support cutting the TPD budget in any way

despite marching with protestors

christ I'm glad I live across the bridge

Utah literally goes in harder on people with paint than on actual child rapists.
    Stilts wrote: »

*breathes in deep*

THANK FUCKING CHRIST!

Anyone else start thinking he had a sadism fetish towarda black men after reading of all his priaon "reforms?"

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

Bigger issue is that there were no real gains to justify his foreign policy besides killing Osama.

While his domestic policies were smeared when greasy Republican palm prints.

People gonna ask, "For all that effort, what did we get?"

There was a point in time where I only had insurance thanks to the Affordable Care Act. I know its not a perfect law, and it doesn't excuse the other failures of the Democrats and Obama.

But yeah, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have been able to see a doctor for a while.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    It's truly amazing that Joe Arpaio is so damn racist that even Arizona--a pretty racist state--said, "No, you are a little too racist to be our Big Cop."

IKknkhU.gif
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    No actual justice system would take "shifted her weight as if to slam into police" seriously.

also like even if you did shove someone unless they were seriously injured you shouldn't go to fucking prison for it.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Who does that????

Albuquerque does it as well but you have to go that budget to find out the fun stuff
    As the city spends about 60% of it's budget on Public safety {80+% of it goes to the police the scraps go to the city run Emt and Fire Dept {both the same dept} Code and ordinance enforcement
    The city used to put the cops on investigative leave or the ones that were being punished on the last dept so you had a bunch of goons running around enforcing an ideal about what your yard had to look like

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

Indeed.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    A story is recirculating out of Phoenix in which the police shot an armed white homeowner. One reacted too quickly for the homeowner to make their case, the other never fired.

But what I found interesting is how is officer who did not open fire pointed out in a video that the caller said they were lying about the severity of the crisis to get to police there faster.

On the 1 hand I hope this makes for an easy civil suit against a call or who for their deceit, but it does bring up the fact that a great many of these police shootings are engendered by people playing around with 911 and not accepting the potential consequences of their actions.

I'm not saying that all cops are saints but they recognized that bullshit calls force a confrontation that doesn't need to happen and puts people in danger. There is an anonymous reddit post some years ago where police office listed all the bullshit calls they had to endure.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I would argue that bullshit calls don't put people in danger, cops put people in danger

And if the cops are aware of the prevalence of bullshit calls, maybe they should be a bit more reluctant to use their firearms on every single one

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Don't call the fucking cops unless you're expecting somebody to be shot for why you're calling them.

Tip: that somebody might be you, or your dog.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Don't call the fucking cops unless you're expecting somebody to be shot for why you're calling them.

Tip: that somebody might be you, or your dog.
    At this point I only feel safe calling the cops when I'm at a place of employment, particularly one that has uniforms. That way I'm identifiable on first sight and not automatically suspect. Or... least suspect since the cops love to murder whoever whenever.

This discussion has been closed.