As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I just had a great/funny moment. I was in the bedroom watching Netflix when Kate came in and said she couldn’t change the color on her gun. She had been playing Minecraft so I wondered what she was talking about. I went out in the living room and there she is, laying on the couch playing Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and was in a real multiplayer game! The chuckle came when she shot down 2 people. I swear she may have a better K::D than me. She basically runs around and looks at things, noticing the enemy and shooting them is secondary to her goals of exploring. But as she explores she is usually out of the direct routes to things and doesn’t get killed much.

50433.png?1708759015
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My nephew is walking around speaking in a 'monotone' voice (as much as a kid can muster) insisting "I have no personality." Only he's also adding an English accent to it and I'm fucking dying and it's only encouraging him.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I don't want to write my opinion on the USA, your country is too different from mine to go all "well ackshually".

So primary education in The Netherlands opened back up on May 11, and resumed regular classes on June 8. And it went fine. There has been no spike in cases following the reopening, no children died, no teachers died. We didn't have to re-quarantine. Our local virologists have said time and time again that children seem to be fine. Some of them got sick for a bit, but not as heavily as adults and they also did not infect more people than adults.

We are currently seeing an uptick in cases, but not (yet) on the level of the initial outbreak. All schools are intending to open up for the new school year in a few weeks, as it appears that their opening/closing had no influence on the pandemic. There are extra regulations in place: no parents allowed in the school, adults to keep 1.5 meters distance from each other, extra focus on hygiene. If any kid gets sick or someone in their family gets covid they are to stay home for 2 weeks.

You can look at data here
    https://www.rivm.nl/coronavirus-covid-19/grafieken

So my kid starts school in September and I am not worried for him. I'm worried we are placed back in lockdown because adults are out there partying, going on holidays and licking each other's fingers, but I'm not worried for his health.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I don't want to write my opinion on the USA, your country is too different from mine to go all "well ackshually".

So primary education in The Netherlands opened back up on May 11, and resumed regular classes on June 8. And it went fine. There has been no spike in cases following the reopening, no children died, no teachers died. We didn't have to re-quarantine. Our local virologists have said time and time again that children seem to be fine. Some of them got sick for a bit, but not as heavily as adults and they also did not infect more people than adults.

We are currently seeing an uptick in cases, but not (yet) on the level of the initial outbreak. All schools are intending to open up for the new school year in a few weeks, as it appears that their opening/closing had no influence on the pandemic. There are extra regulations in place: no parents allowed in the school, adults to keep 1.5 meters distance from each other, extra focus on hygiene. If any kid gets sick or someone in their family gets covid they are to stay home for 2 weeks.

So my kid starts school in September and I am not worried for him. I'm worried we are placed back in lockdown because adults are out there partying, going on holidays and licking each other's fingers, but I'm not worried for his health.

You were right at the beginning - your country is too different from the USA to try to compare like that.

So check back in 2-3 months from now and see how things are going in areas of the US that decided to force students to go to school. I will guarantee that it will not look anything like the results that The Netherlands have had.

Ketar wrote: »

You were right at the beginning - your country is too different from the USA to try to compare like that.

So check back in 2-3 months from now and see how things are going in areas of the US that decided to force students to go to school. I will guarantee that it will not look anything like the results that The Netherlands have had.
    Are they just opening schools and keeping all other regulations in place?

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Are they just opening schools and keeping all other regulations in place?

It varies so wildly from state to state, and even from district to district within states at times, that there's no good way to answer this. There are no consistent regulations in place, anywhere, for starters.

The best way to try to do so is probably this: have you seen how chaotic and haphazard the US's approach to everything has been so far? The approach to lockdown, to whether or not one should wear a face mask, to whether social distancing is necessary, to...? Angry citizens and small town governments suing states to allow them to reopen things faster. Angry governors suing local governments to prevent them from enacting stricter safety measures than what the governor approved. And our President shitposting away the entire time, egging people on while having his government steal essential medical supplies that states have ordered so that they can be sold at a profit later?

Well, re-opening schools is not looking any better than any of the rest of that.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    NYC has been OK with the childcare centers and summer camps. Most camps closed before the season, but I haven't heard anything about the ones that opened. My kids are on their 5th week at summer camp with no issues.
    Their school is probably doing a 2 days in class (M/T or R/F), 3 day remote schedule. With the option for full remote that you can opt into at any time. I feel like this is better than the alternating days most schools are going to attempt, even if it makes scheduling going into work more difficult for me. As somebody who cannot really wfh, I'm kind of stuck, since there is absolutely no information on childcare outside of school yet (most already established places don't accept kids over a certain age, so kids between ages ~5-12 don't have places they can go.)
    NYC is also not letting most indoor places open anytime soon. No indoor dining, no museums, no theater, etc.
    And everything gets shut down if cases start to go up.
    So even though cases will probably creep in from the other parts of the country, because of course, right now we're doing OK. Different parts of the country are definitely going to handle this in different ways.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It simply can't last long term in most places. We have pretty good numbers in Maine, but as soon as more than 2 teachers have to be out for quarantine most of our school districts don't have the substitute teachers available to deal with it long term. So if one teacher catches it, and 5 teachers were physically close to them, I just don't see how they'll cover those classrooms for the required two weeks. Unfortunately, the governor saying the state is ok and green means a lot of schools are going to get cocky.

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Seems like I have to remind myself of this periodically but - I'm not going to fight with my 4-year old about eating for a while. If she wants to remain 12kg until she's 5, 6, whatever... her choice I suppose.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Son restarted nursery two days ago after being off since the end of march due to lockdown.

I've now got a horrible stomach bug.

Ugh!

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ripley, 2.5, now just wakes up and screams until someone comes to get her.

She's not open if she had a nightmare or what.

Wait it out?

Is this the middle of the night, or in the morning?

In the morning. We both work at the hospital so need to be out of the house by 0630 so we all wake up at 0530 anyway pretty much every day.

But she wakes up and I swear to God the first thing she does after she opens her eyes is start screaming "Mommy!" And I mean screaming, not crying.

Have you tried sitting down in the room next to her crib, and explained to her that screaming like that is not acceptable, and that it makes you and her mom scared that she's hurt, and a polite holler (or probably more just not yelling) would also work to let you know she's awake?

I'll give this a shot starting every morning!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    Seems like I have to remind myself of this periodically but - I'm not going to fight with my 4-year old about eating for a while. If she wants to remain 12kg until she's 5, 6, whatever... her choice I suppose.

Kate will be 5 in October and still hasn’t broke 30 lbs.

50433.png?1708759015
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    #pipe if it makes you feel any better, our current operable computer looks only slightly better than that after Middle Guy somehow poured a whole glass of milk into it. Did your little guy accidentally get it with a baseball or something?

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    #pipe if it makes you feel any better, our current operable computer looks only slightly better than that after Middle Guy somehow poured a whole glass of milk into it. Did your little guy accidentally get it with a baseball or something?

He hit it with a random button press sound making toy and there was nothing accidental about it.

He's 2 and doesn't understand that actions have consequenses

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Welcome to the club! My daughter hit our tv with a toy golf club when she was a little older than that (old enough that it was genuinely by accident, mistakes were made) and fucked it up just the same way. I want another new one so I'm trying to get her to do it again but she's old enough that she thinks it's a trap somehow.

I'm on my way to best buy right now.

Thankfully a good chunk of change just dropped in our laps that this won't ruin all budgets forever.

It's so funny though, my wife and I were literally this morning talking about how we shouldn't buys new tv because this one has done us so well and survived so many attempted murders. He killed it one hour later.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Welcome to the club! My daughter hit our tv with a toy golf club when she was a little older than that (old enough that it was genuinely by accident, mistakes were made) and fucked it up just the same way. I want another new one so I'm trying to get her to do it again but she's old enough that she thinks it's a trap somehow.

Time to have another kid, I guess.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I'm on my way to best buy right now.

Thankfully a good chunk of change just dropped in our laps that this won't ruin all budgets forever.

It's so funny though, my wife and I were literally this morning talking about how we shouldn't buys new tv because this one has done us so well and survived so many attempted murders. He killed it one hour later.

He was helping!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »

We so thoroughly believe that we shouldn't push eating on our son, that he'll eat if he's really hungry, but we're even more instinctively concerned about it that we can't help ourselves making a big deal about how he should try this, or try that, and that they're yummy.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    So you know how your sense of smell can be pretty intensely linked to memory. Daughter just opened up a tube of bubblegum flavored toothpaste.

Wow. I was hit with a memory of an amenities block in a caravan park in rural Australia somewhere. Swaying gum trees, clear air, magpies singing, the rest of it.
    That was nice and not exactly what I expected from a tube of kids toothpaste.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My son just pooped so hard he threw up....

My four year old had been making up jokes.
    His latest:
    How many jokes does it take to make a joke?
    Joke!

edited August 2020
    Due to watching a lot of Hulu lately my kids are relentlessly quoting the DJ Khalid and Idina Menzel Geico commercials and it is extremely funny and worth every second of sitting through the exact same commercials 78 times each hour. "Put in that work family member name" is practically our motto now.

Peen on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Uhm... yeah, I think I’ve created a maniac.

Pokémon Trainer Molly has obtained all eight badges in a faster time than I ever did, and has been tearing up the final tournament something fierce- while still finding time to go out and run around the yard for a few hours every day. She’s started to ask about what comes after that, though... thank anything for DLC, sheesh...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Pokémon Trainer Molly has obtained all eight badges in a faster time than I ever did, and has been tearing up the final tournament something fierce- while still finding time to go out and run around the yard for a few hours every day. She’s started to ask about what comes after that, though... thank anything for DLC, sheesh...

Catching at least one of every pokemon.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Catching at least one of every pokemon.

Being the very best . . .
    Like no one ever was.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Catching the legendary pokemons, right? And leveling them up.

And playing against friends, I guess.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Just passing along something I saw. Mood indeed (sorry for those who don't see tweets):

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I feel bad that I look at that and my first instinct is “Move that power cord behind the laptop and drop it off the right hand side of the table somebody’s going to trip and break something if you leave it there.”

Perrsun on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Catching the legendary pokemons, right? And leveling them up.

And playing against friends, I guess.

Nah.

Get all the shinies.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Just passing along something I saw. Mood indeed (sorry for those who don't see tweets):

Let he or she who has not been on that conference call throw the first stone.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I feel bad that I look at that and my first instinct is “Move that power cord behind the laptop and drop it off the right hand side of the table somebody’s going to trip and break something if you leave it there.”

I feel like the kindergartener is already broken by the vid call

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Was on a video call about COVID protocol which I signed into on my day off so I had a beer open which I proceeded to drink during the call and ha, supervisor wasn't happy!

I showed up on my day off what the hell does she want from me?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    My son has moved from comedy to magic.
    "Look at this string! Ok, magical medical, now close your eyes."
    He hides the string.
    "now open your eyes! It's disappeared! Magic!"

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie put her head under water, all the way, all by herself today at swim lessons.

but only once.

edited August 2020
    We took the girls camping in a spot on the Chesapeake where you can try to catch blue crabs. There are restrictions on which crabs you can keep to eat, which led to my younger daughter saying "alright large boys, get ready to be caught."

She's the best.

Peen on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Trolls World Tour has Athena trying to throw the horns lately. At first she insisted that the V for Victory was the Rock N Roll hand gesture, but we brought her around and now she can do it if she manually lowers her middle and ring fingers

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So somebody at work was all "hey, What'd you do this weekend" and I was all "oh, just hung out with some family friends"

And then I realized that those same family friends were actually our friends and not the friends of my parents.

And that is how I know I'm an old.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Netherlands traditions are so weird.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment