As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Meme aside seriously what is that trailer for exactly? There wasn't much variety in the gameplay shown.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So the official site is nearly entirely using images and animations for the text instead of text, so there's not much I can get from it via something like google translate. However, I think I can recognize evidence of a gacha mobile game when I see it.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Chinese games company Shengqu Games will co-operate with Konami to develop and release a new Castlevania mobile title called 'Moonlight Rhapsody".

It is a a side scrolling action game that innovates on the original console games. Testing in China scheduled for this year.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Well, I'll always have my good Castlevania games.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    "innovates" - you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Options
    Just fucking hand it over to bluepoint or someone to make a metroidvania collection for PC, Xbone/XSX, Switch, and PS4/5. I'd pay at least $30 for a decent collection of the GBA titles + SOTN.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Just fucking hand it over to bluepoint or someone to make a metroidvania collection for PC, Xbone/XSX, Switch, and PS4/5. I'd pay at least $30 for a decent collection of the GBA titles + SOTN.

Pack OoE in there and make it Switch exclusive :rotate: (because one of the bonus modes actually uses the touch screen)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    You could probably adapt that mode to use a right stick instead, for all the "you can't hit me" you want.

Enlong on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Konami makes me sad.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Konami makes me sad.

The only reason they don't make me sad is because I don't expect anything out of them.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'd just like to say

fuck Konami.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    One of these days we're going to get inside info on how Konami managed its video game production side of the business and we're going to find out it was poorly managed (and they wrongly laid the blame at "poor sales") or there was outright grift going on or SOME shit like that.

For now they're just going to perpetually sit on these brand names because copyright law sure is a thing.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    One of these days we're going to get inside info on how Konami managed its video game production side of the business and we're going to find out it was poorly managed (and they wrongly laid the blame at "poor sales") or there was outright grift going on or SOME shit like that.

For now they're just going to perpetually sit on these brand names because copyright law sure is a thing.

There's already pretty detailed info on specifically what led to Kojima being ousted; and while not everyone is a fan of his brand of, I dunno what you want to call it, mythos? The details around how over a few years the company transformed from a developer struggling to keep up with changing expectations in video games (and making bank in pachinko and other gambling sort of endeavors) to promoting quickly a guy who proved that mobile lootbox gatcha games were reliably absurdly profitable and that their traditional games development was a waste of their time. I think the mobile movement was kind of lateral though, as they seemed to already have moved that way with the endless DDR and such variants, microtransactions within them, etc; but there still seemed to be some desire to make actual games too. I can't find it right now, but I read a pretty detailed article on all this some time ago, and IIRC it mentioned how the heads of Konami were (while pretty typical for major businesses in Japan) all of one family and not terribly interested in the art of game making, and how Kojima being pushed out was almost an excuse to do what they already wanted and stop spending money on development of individual games and move towards a wholly "gambling" based structure. I'll keep looking and edit this if I can find it. Closest I can find atm is this Polygon article, but it definitely isn't what I was thinking of.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So my daughter and I worked on this for a bit of the weekend. Came out pretty good I think. Not sure what to do with him now. Best part was after we finished I got to explain to my 7 year old what a conceptualization of death is*.

gn9uyc1q11l5.png

*Not actually the best part.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So my daughter and I worked on this for a bit of the weekend. Came out pretty good I think. Not sure what to do with him now. Best part was after we finished I got to explain to my 7 year old what a conceptualization of death is*.

gn9uyc1q11l5.png

*Not actually the best part.

Do what I always do: stunlock him with holy water.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have so much trouble getting through that hall with the holy water. Usually have to do the boomerang dance.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    You could get some magnets and put him on the fridge.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    "innovates" - you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

"Fuck to death without mercy", right?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    My partner got into perlers last year, and while they are amazing, I have a staaaaack of ones that she and I made together that don't have a home. I'd like to put magnets on them and clutter my desk, but I honestly think there's more than to put on here.

By the way, that Death is sick.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I have so much trouble getting through that hall with the holy water. Usually have to do the boomerang dance.

I actually have a harder time getting through that hallway without holy water. And I can count on one hand the number of times I've beaten him without it. He's one of the hardest bosses for me to beat in the entire Castlevania series if I don't have that subweapon.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    My partner got into perlers last year, and while they are amazing, I have a staaaaack of ones that she and I made together that don't have a home. I'd like to put magnets on them and clutter my desk, but I honestly think there's more than to put on here.

By the way, that Death is sick.

No no, Pestilence is a different dude.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So what characters were those? Alucard, Richter, ???, Maria, Yoko and Shanoa?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Unsurprisingly Konami outsourced a Chinese mobile game instead of making a new Castlevania themselves.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Wait, isn't holy water the "across the ground" weapon? How do you even hit Death with it unless you're at point blank range?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Wait, isn't holy water the "across the ground" weapon? How do you even hit Death with it unless you're at point blank range?
    There were floating platforms that Death would fly through in Castlevania 1 and/or 3 (I forget which); you put the holy waters there (it was a stationary multi-hit flame with a ton of hitstun in those games, so you could just 100-0 him before he could move away).

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    There were floating platforms that Death would fly through in Castlevania 1 and/or 3 (I forget which); you put the holy waters there (it was a stationary multi-hit flame with a ton of hitstun in those games, so you could just 100-0 him before he could move away).

Castlevania 1, specifically:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK7NxZsNmrM

The tough part is getting to him with the holy water. It's only found in 5-1, so you have to get to him without dying or picking up a different weapon. And having triple shot helps immensely.

• Options
    I always thought of that more of a design reward due to the placement of the holy water, rather than an exploit to Death's hit box or stun duration.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I tried out Blasphemous' new free DLC this week, and I really enjoyed the improvements it added. Along with the new bosses and NG+ modes, they added a revamped map system (with markers) and an option to pay in-game currency to upgrade the game's save points in various ways, one of which turns every save point into a warp point. This made navigating and exploring the map sooo much easier. These kinds of options are the new standard for metroidvania-style platformers as far as I'm concerned.

It's in a sale bundle with Bloodstained on steam atm too.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just finished Bloodstained with 99.8% of the map complete. FUCK!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I just finished Bloodstained with 99.8% of the map complete. FUCK!
    Oh uh, about that.
    It's a weird problem that has to do with registering the last boss room, I forgot how to fix it off the top off my head.

• Options
    Actually, it was two rooms I missed. Got the 100% map done.

All in all, it was a good game. The weird part was all the shit to collect and craft, of which I did very little. I want to say I made like 1/4 of the meals and maybe saw 1/3 of all the items/armor/weapons. I didn't do any grinding, so that probably had a lot to do with it.

I had a similar experience in Breath of the Wild. You're just collect so much shit and have no idea what to do with it all or can't find particular rare items to complete the thing you want.

Outside of a few minor gripes, I think the game was very solid.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Woke up in the middle of the night. Couldn't sleep. Said fuck it and started up the Netflix Castlevania series...Wow! Watch the first two seasons. That was incredible. I got chills during the second to last episode of season 2. I'm so impressed with how they handled it.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I finished Bloodstained!

The first third or so was very good and then it just becomes a tired, unfinished mess. Uninspired bosses yielding random powers and a general lack of attention to detail.

Still it scratched an itch!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The crafting and cooking in Bloodstained became rewarding for me once I got the right things upgraded. Luck plays a huge role. I had two gear builds, one for combat and a high luck build for farming. I max upgraded the luck augment shard, then upgraded the gold shard. Talk about a game changer. I had millions of gold in a flash and rare drops became a cinch to gather.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I completely forgot that I could create loadouts and that I had guns. Typically, whenever I play games like this, whatever weapon has the highest attack stat, or a fast attack speed, get equipped. Same with armor. Extra spots go to stat boosters or movement speed upgrades. And I don't think I changed my shards that often, unless I needed one to get through an area.

I honestly feel like I hardly touched all the crap they threw at me. Which is fine, but boring?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I was super disappointed to learn that you can't get 8 shortcuts shards in one playthrough. I was constantly wanting more, so that I could equip weirder stuff. Let me have a shortcut for a Shovel Knight loadout.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Eh that's Igavanias ever since Portrait of Ruin. Just tons of items and skills that aren't super balanced or even well differentiated. And the whole shard/upgrade system magnified the usual imbalance.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I finished Bloodstained!

The first third or so was very good and then it just becomes a tired, unfinished mess. Uninspired bosses yielding random powers and a general lack of attention to detail.

Still it scratched an itch!

Exactly my thoughts. It was a fun ride, but the difficulty cratered on the second half until the final two bosses redeemed it, and I don't care to "nerf myself" to make it more interesting or play it on Fuck You difficulty. I'm still thrilled to have participated in the Kickstarter and experienced it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    To be frank, that difficulty thing is a trait Symphony of the Night had going (except the last boss was still easy) but people praise the game regardless.