As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's All Freak Out In The [Ghost of Tsushima] Thread

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    And you're right about that, it's like 30% good for dueling and open world stuff and 60% good for open world stuff, which is weird on specifically-Ronin styled attire, which you specifically obtained from winning a bunch of duels.

But then the Ronin set buffs your stealth so maybe they didn't expect people to swap out their stuff as much as Morning does? I sure didn't. I'm very much style over substance when it comes to armor.

To me the difference between the Storm of Clan Sakai and all the Ghost tools is that...

I'm going for a trip in the country. The sword is a sports car and the ghost tools are a teleporter.

They'll both get me there, but I enjoy drivin'.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Fuck it - I'm leavin' it just like that.

Who's right? You'll have to go back a page to find out!

O.o

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Chance wrote: »
    And you're right about that, it's like 30% good for dueling and open world stuff and 60% good for open world stuff, which is weird on specifically-Ronin styled attire, which you specifically obtained from winning a bunch of duels.

But then the Ronin set buffs your stealth so maybe they didn't expect people to swap out their stuff as much as Morning does? I sure didn't. I'm very much style over substance when it comes to armor.

To me the difference between the Storm of Clan Sakai and all the Ghost tools is that...

I'm going for a trip in the country. The sword is a sports car and the ghost tools are a teleporter.

They'll both get me there, but I enjoy drivin'.

Yea I'm totally the same. I wore specific sets based on where my character was in the story and would wait until they were maxed out before moving onto the next set and never swapped based on the situation.

Travelers > Ronin > Sakai > Ghost > Kensei

Once I was in a set I wore it for every activity! Gotta have that style.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    First playthrough - Ronin

Second - travelers. Whole game so far.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    First playthrough - Ronin

Second - travelers. Whole game so far.

Nice!

yea I love character advancement so I had to find a way to give myself lots of upgrades. Like I even waited to get kensei even though I knew it was my fav until after I got ghost and fully upgraded it. I didn't want to just get get my fav and have it fully upgraded at the start of act 2 then never have a reason to interact with that system again all game. Would have made me sad!

• Options
    I might've worn Kensei at the end of my first playthrough if I'd have known about how to make your upgraded attire look like its earlier forms. I like the kimono and scarf, even though like every bad-guy samurai wears a scarf, but I can't stand the straw cape/mantle thing.

Looks more of beast than of man.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I wear Travelers because it lets me know when a goodie is nearby, even if the vibration feature could use some tuning or make the artifacts stand out a bit more so I'm not zipping back and forth across a mongol camp trying to find the singular thing that it considers an artifact.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I have the kensei armor.

This is my excuse for throwing sticky bombs and black powder bombs and kunai's everywhere now.

I mean, I have this armor, it'd just be a waste of stats if I didn't use it right?

I crept into a base, stabbed an archer, killed two more archers with the bow. Someone saw one of the archers across the way and did his little toot on the horn, so they all crowded around the corpse.

So I threw a black powder bomb at them across the entire encampment. They saw it coming, but it was too late to run.

The one thing that makes me sad about the kensei armor is that particular stat line being useless in duels when the character you get it from seems to be all about duels. Definitely feels a bit weird and as awesome as it sounds in practice on regular mooks it's still basically useless because hitting a regular mook with a ghost weapon means they are dead without being able to fight back anyway.

My fav armor though so I'll be wearing it the rest of the game anyway!

Nah it's good for black powder bombs and the splash damage from sticky bombs. Where a few might survive before....now they don't. Very handy in extremely large engagements.

But why do that if it doesn't just kill them when you have other tools that would?

If you're going for the avoiding being efficient for challenge then it is moot but if you are being efficient and using your tools you could throw kunai and be auto killing 3(or 5) per usage(so 15(or 25) + however many kunai you pick up off the bodies) where the kensei bonus would never come into play since they would die before they attack. Or smoke bombs which is also instant kill on everyone in there.

I just can't think of a point in the game where there would be so many enemies you would end up using tools beyond that if they are killing enemies less efficiently.

Just seems like weird design!

Black powder bombs are ridiculously efficient. So are sticky bombs. Neither have a target limit.

There's plenty of situations where they're stronger than kunai or smokebombs. Starting from act 2 you start getting swarms of enemies.

Also it also applies to the kunai, so now your kunai are instant kills.

I mean, I get that you can't think of any of these situations and are having trouble thinking of times when there were enough people that a bpb is better. But I have encountered them, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree there. :)

Kunai are always instant kills though! That's probably why it feels so weird to me because those are the only ghost tools I have used. The enemies are wobbled for so long that you can just walk up and smack them until they die even the big dudes. So lowering the damage the deal does nothing and increasing damage against them also doesn't matter. In duels it would be awesome though.

I think you are generalising too much. Ive had dudes Ive kunaied recover because other enemies got in the way. Ive also gotten hit while killing those enemies.

It is not as strong as a true instant kill. No more interaction necessary. Move onto new threats.

The damage boost and reduction makes more sense for hard where you can get very tanky enemies. Chopping up a brute or leader takes a while time where you can be interrupted. And if interrupted they can potentially recover. On lethal its a waste. Lethal was an afterthought tho so I dont really fault them for that.

Damage reduction is good if you arent stacking ghost damage. Wont have time to kill all 15 people you knocked over with a firecracker and bomb combo. Or when your ghost tools arent yet fully upgraded for damage with skill points.

Resolve spamming plus ghost tools is the most effective way to kill a camp. I think the armor makes sense. It probably just doesnt match your playstyle. For me it turns ghost tools from op into the divine wind able to slaughter entire armies even faster than I could before. Which lets me be even more reckless. And take on even more people. and use less overal tools to do it.

Cos despite everyone repeating it as if its a given I have run out of tools. if I over use them. Theyre not guaranteed to spawn. Im finding myself buying them at camps at times.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I've been stuck in mostly Travelers because of exploration and artifact finding and shit. I wish that was all skills not applied to a piece of equipment.

But I've swapped to other outfits for specefic quests or duels.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I just stopped caring after a while and stuck with Ronin attire the entire game. It’s just not worth changing except for the harder duels later in the game.

I have found a solution to my bugged Inari trophy though, so I am very happy with that at least. I might come back to clean up the remaining achievements, I might not. It’s a bit of busywork that I don’t want to put in, unlike Horizon where I was happy to do almost everything and really wanted to.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Kunai aren't valuable because they murder everything (they will clear out lots of lesser enemies). They're valuable because anything they hit is staggered for 5-8 seconds, which is more than enough time to carve someone up.

That was one of the issues I had with combat. The game doesn't really incentivize you to use all your toys; they are just gravy on the murder train. I think some enemies should not give a shit about kunai; what is a little butter knife going do to heavy metal and leather armor? At a certain point anything and everything can be assassinated; why don't some guys learn your tricks? Bombs are insta-kills, and if they don't kill they get knocked over for a free impale. As a side note, the mongol bomb guys are hella stupid and end up killing themselves or their friends more than hitting Jin.

Variation has to come from enemy type and behavior as well. I have to imagine that at a certain point even Lethal isn't that lethal because you just kill 2/3rds of a group before they even know you're there. And then you never get hit because you can smoke bomb and chain assassinate three more. If enemy behavior is just neanderthal AI then it doesn't really matter how much damage you may take, because you won't.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You can't get more disabled than dead.

Look. You guys don't find it useful. I do. Thanks Sucker Punch. I appreciate your armor. Also it looks cool too.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I honestly don’t find it has much of a use because those tools do so much damage as it is. Enemies also regularly drop ghost weapons and they are usually everywhere in a camp etc. Efficiency in ghost weapons is just not a worthwhile benefit from armour in this game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

Look. You guys don't find it useful. I do. Thanks Sucker Punch. I appreciate your armor. Also it looks cool too.

Kensei armor is fucking boss dude, I wore it for a good chunk of the game. My go-to sets, both for use and depending on what kind of awesome I wanted to look.

- Tayadori's
    - Kensei
    - Sakai
    - Ghost

After I had those I didn't wear anything else.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The maxed version looks like he rolled around in a haystack with glue on and then killed something in the woods and slapped it on top.

I dunno why I find that appealing but I do. A lot. Especially with the metal hat.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I thought the full set would bug me too but between that and the hat I decided Jin had become a terrifying scarecrow come to life to murder mongols.

Also the hat goes with everything.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    Man there's a bit of a difference on Lethal. Yesterday I wasn't feeling that good (had bad sleep) and I kept messing up all my standoffs, most of my fights, and spent a lot of time dying in random encounters due to silly stuff.

Today I'm fine and kicking ass.

You really can't make any mistakes on Lethal. You just die.

• Options
    edited August 2020

It's my favorite armor and I will be wearing it for the rest of the game because looking cool is the most important part. Stats be damned. I also just stay in Moon Stance because fuck it, it looks cooler.

But it's still a weird design especially considering how you get it and what they made it sound like it was for. What it does seems entirely different was really the point. And really truly if you actually just spam Kunai you can't get hit by another enemy because they are all stunned. And yes it is enough time to completely kill a Brute even on hard.

But anyway, another thing I forgot to discuss. start of act 3 spoilers

So the horse thing. It made me very sad because I loved my horse and I wish it didn't happen but that part is just preference and not the part I want to touch on.

How they handled the after part seems a bit shortsighted unless I am missing something. At this point you can hop on any horse but any time you load the emaciated horse is that always becomes your called horse. So now, even though you can ride other horses, you are still stuck with this one. Earlier it made sense, you had a named horse. They were part of your story. At this point it no longer makes sense. Especially because: saddles. At this point in the game an entire collectible seems to no longer serve a purpose. A collectible with unlocks that you can't even have finished yet.... what? Like you can still unlock more saddles and have saddles that can't even have been unlocked yet but you can no longer use them?

So at this point I'll ask is there another story mission where you get a replacement saddle equippable horse? Or is it going to be post game only because that would be a big disappointment.

edit: I found an answer to this. It's just much later than I wish it was but I will push through to that before finishing all side missions I guess.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    start of act 3 spoilers

So the horse thing. It made me very sad because I loved my horse and I wish it didn't happen but that part is just preference and not the part I want to touch on.

How they handled the after part seems a bit shortsighted unless I am missing something. At this point you can hop on any horse but any time you load the emaciated horse is that always becomes your called horse. So now, even though you can ride other horses, you are still stuck with this one. Earlier it made sense, you had a named horse. They were part of your story. At this point it no longer makes sense. Especially because: saddles. At this point in the game an entire collectible seems to no longer serve a purpose. A collectible with unlocks that you can't even have finished yet.... what? Like you can still unlock more saddles and have saddles that can't even have been unlocked yet but you can no longer use them?

So at this point I'll ask is there another story mission where you get a replacement saddle equippable horse? Or is it going to be post game only because that would be a big disappointment.

edit: I found an answer to this. It's just much later than I wish it was but I will push through to that before finishing all side missions I guess.

I was up wayyyyy too late last night finishing Act II/starting Act III.
    Fuck *you*, Sucker Punch... Fuck you very much. How could you *do* that to my Very Good Boy? I was going to murder all the Mongols *anyway*, you didn’t need to try to add extra motivation for me.

Guess the devs wanted to live up to their name? If anyone needs me, I’ll be over here playing the Sarah McLachlan song from the PETA commercial and weeping; don’t mind me.

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    Our boy was ride or die.

• Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    Our boy was ride or die.
    And then he was both. :(

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Platinum'd game. This was such an enjoyable experience.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    After doing the tengu demon fight I'm starting to think that perhaps I should give up on the game and pick it up again when the ps5 gets released because on the old ps4 it is becoming hard to ignore how much the technical side is letting the game down.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The Tengu Demon fight was the rock-bottom worst-by-far performance I got out of the game. It had me worried about framerates too, but that's definitely the only time I've had framerates that threatened to make the game unplayable on a standard PS4. Otherwise the framerates have been perfectly acceptable, even when fighting something like a dozen Mongols at once with grenades getting thrown around.

If you've already powered through the Tengu fight, I think you're through the big performance problem spot of the game.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Thanks, that's good to know. Sadly I've been getting performance dips in a lot of places although they haven't been as bad as the ones during that fight. It doesn't help that the 30 fps it struggles to hit is quite a bit below what I would consider acceptable fps.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I already did tengu demon fight, figure you're talking about Uchitsune quest, and I didn't notice any particular slowdown on base PS4

• Options
    edited August 2020
    It was a little jerky for me. Base ps4.
    But not enough to make it unplayable or anything.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I used the Ghost Armor exclusively after I got it.

I felt.... very strongly obligated to.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I noticed no frame rate issues on my launch PS4.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited August 2020
    So you know how you can short dodge to refresh the sprint fatigue timer.

You can just tap l2 to aim briefly as well. I find it works best with a thrown weapon equipped as he doesn't really break his stride.

Infinite sprint.

edit: Ok the way you earn Ghost Stance is fucking awesome.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Every time I complete anything or find anything I go:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa!

And now you do too.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Act2 Story Quest Spoiler
    Taka is supposed to distract all these mongols for you and draw them away.
    But I wanted to kill em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OydTGCP6mEM

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    That fight in the second Kenji quest was pretty crazy. Some Straw Hats showed up and started fighting the Mongols, there was a bear for some reason.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Man I have basically unconsciously followed this games intended character arc.

I started out all samurai, then I went full open combat with ghost tools, and now in act 3 I'm full ghost, as if I just walked into an assassin's creed game.

I sure am easily influenced.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Kurosawa second playthrough continues to be a lot of fun. The jump up to Lethal straight from the beginning is awesome, since Jin's got no defensive bonuses to speak of an zero HP, he can be one-shot by a number of enemy types. That's pretty much exactly the way I want combat in this game to feel.

bcs1urm25o96.jpg
    wqw3snm6sboj.jpg
    uc7dqeh0w8fk.jpg

• Options
    Kurosawa turns off the color of the unblockable flashes so you have to rely on animations.

• Options
    It does, yeah. I've been enjoying that element a lot.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Act2 Story Quest Spoiler
    But I wanted to kill em.

It seems like I'm missing out by playing an honorable Samurai. I wear the Goasaku armor, and never really use the Ghost weapons at all. It'd be nice to be able to find some more customisable armor. The style I prefer is like the sakai and Goasaku armor, but they tend to have these big shoulder pads. The traveler attire is probably the most applicable early on, but it was hard to pass up that 5-person stand off perk. Stuff like the Kensei armor just doesn't seem to fit with how I've been interpreting the story so far.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Act2 Story Quest Spoiler
    But I wanted to kill em.

It seems like I'm missing out by playing an honorable Samurai. I wear the Goasaku armor, and never really use the Ghost weapons at all. It'd be nice to be able to find some more customisable armor. The style I prefer is like the sakai and Goasaku armor, but they tend to have these big shoulder pads. The traveler attire is probably the most applicable early on, but it was hard to pass up that 5-person stand off perk. Stuff like the Kensei armor just doesn't seem to fit with how I've been interpreting the story so far.

I didn't use them for most of act 1 and half of act 2 except for the occasional kunai or bomb or whatever for the lols. And then I got kensei armor and deliberately made a ghost damage build and started spamming them. And that turned out to be fun so I just did that for a while.

And now in act3 im assassin's creeding bases and if I get caught out in open combat I just spam ghost tools because I am the asshole ghost and I don't give a damn anymore. Run you cowards!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Dunno if you guys have tried Full Fear build or not; it doesn't come online until the late game, but it is such a blast.

milk ducks on