As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    What if my fetish is border security queues

Read this as border security queens, was into it.

there hasn't been a proper border security queen since like 1886

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

I had go back and un-agree with Houk's BOTP on the last page because I legit read this as well.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I had go back and un-agree with Houk's BOTP on the last page because I legit read this as well.

dammit c'mon man, i need those stats

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    2 countries I most want to visit are Japan and Canada. I don't think I'm fetishizing them, I just think they look nice to visit.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Canada doesn't have nearly as many vending machines.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    No but I'm informed you have bears and humpback whales and pretty mountains

• Options
    It is true.

My dad saw a Kermode bear recently.

That's a little more cool than a Dragonball Gacha machine.

• Options

japan also has bears (they hunt them) and whales (holy shit do they ever hunt them) and mountains (they'd probably hunt them if they could)

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    2 countries I most want to visit are Japan and Canada. I don't think I'm fetishizing them, I just think they look nice to visit.

Conversely, I most want to visit the UK and Japan

Still in mourning for our canceled London/Dublin trip in May, alas...

They sound like a fun time, and trying out different food/nightlife/learning more about the history are the biggest appeals; my Dad and I have had an ongoing promise to one day see London since I was in my early teens and we were so close this time

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I think I'd like to visit Ireland/Scotland and Japan

• Options
    The UK certainly is... a place people visit.

I pre-emptively apologise for our dearth of bears and pretty mountains.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'd like to visit Bavaria again, and also Dongducheon in South Korea, with of course a night in Seoul.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Hey you got lots of pretty mountains
    Well ... imposing mountains.
    Also the Lake District is gorgeous.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I'd like to visit Bavaria again, and also Dongducheon in South Korea, with of course a night in Seoul.

Gotta be honest man I think it's kinda crappy that you're in here dunking on people for wanting to visit Japan while talking about how much you want to visit Korea, which is just about as fraught in terms of white fetishization.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I'd love to visit the UK and will some day if I have my druthers. I just want to visit some countries that aren't primarily inhabited by English speaking white people first.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My list of other countries I want to visit:
    1 - Wales (I'm like half Welsh)
    2 - Spain
    3 - Italy
    4 - Turkey (mainly Istanbul)
    5 - Iraq (mainly Baghdad)

Problem is aside from Wales there's a significant enough language barrier that I'll probably never feel like I'm fluent enough in the local language to be comfortable traveling. I have a horrid aversion to looking/feeling like a tourist. It wouldn't bother me as much in Wales because it'd be less for tourism and more for researching personal history and the like. The other places would be awesome, at least in theory, but will likely never happen.

But oh man if I had a million dollars and no worries the wife and I would go explore Wales and then just tour mainland Europe from Lisbon to Copenhagen to Istanbul and everywhere in between, then probably tour the greater Levant areas/nations, then the rest of Northern Africa before heading back stateside. It'd be awesome.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

which part of Canada

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Smof should drive through Saskatchewan.

Stop in a couple towns along the way.

It'd really make Duck Lake and Cudworth's year.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    She could also visit Bienfait (pronounced Bean Fate) and Kandahar

Lots of good Saskatchewan town names

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

japan also has bears (they hunt them) and whales (holy shit do they ever hunt them) and mountains (they'd probably hunt them if they could)

They hunt rivers and creeks and pave the shit out of them because the engineering budget must be spent or else a whole shitload of construction workers lose their jobs.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    I have a horrid aversion to looking/feeling like a tourist.

The trick to not looking like a tourist is to dress like a feckless chaotic hippy, and then you look more like someone who couldn’t afford a plane ticket home and has been wandering the region for years selling homemade sandals to try and raise cash.

When you're Australian you basically get a +6 to that dice roll.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I might be able to do that, as long as I can call it a chancla.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Main reason I want to visit Scotland/Ireland is heritage. There's a hotel in Scotland that is literally the ancestral castle of Clan Davidson and Ireland I just want to put a place to all the Celtic myths and legends I love.

Japan is for the food, arcades, and to weeb the fuck out in anime merch stores but probably only buy a couple inexpensive things because my suitcase is full of Kitkats.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Japan is definitely not high on the list of “inexpensive” vacations.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Gotta be honest man I think it's kinda crappy that you're in here dunking on people for wanting to visit Japan while talking about how much you want to visit Korea, which is just about as fraught in terms of white fetishization.

I did army time in Korea. It's a legit part of my personal history.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Gotta be honest

This is also the traditional leading phrase of somebody who is about to spew some bullshit.

• Options
    Stop fighting over which asian country it's acceptable to like visiting, come to Saskatchewan, where you can come visit Biggar, then head on over to Cut Knife, before working your way up the province to its very own Prince Albert

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

which part of Canada

There are parts?

I dunno. If I went there I'd probably try to do an extended stay and travel around. I'd like to spend time in/around the Rockies and like I said see some humpbacks and grizzlies. I'm sure there's other stuff.

I saw a Romesh Ranganathan program where he went up north where it was all icy (Yukon maybe?) and had an indigenous fixer who showed him around and they saw a polar bear, I'd like to do that.

• Options
    The Rockies are just, indescribably beautiful and amazing.
    I love every part of BC that I’ve visited but I guess there are other parts of the country worth checking out. I guess.

We should meet up in Banff and get blotto.

• Options
    I also still really want to do my 6 month trip from Mexico down to Colombia. But that will probably never actually happen.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    KetBra wrote: »

which part of Canada

There are parts?

I dunno. If I went there I'd probably try to do an extended stay and travel around. I'd like to spend time in/around the Rockies and like I said see some humpbacks and grizzlies. I'm sure there's other stuff.

I saw a Romesh Ranganathan program where he went up north where it was all icy (Yukon maybe?) and had an indigenous fixer who showed him around and they saw a polar bear, I'd like to do that.

Yeah the rockies are real beautiful. The west coast and Vancouver Island, also quite nice. The Alaska Highway is quite scenic and would take you closer to polar bears, though not all the way. Also beautiful up north, though fucking balls cold.

(See, picture taken in late March)
    sdgR3nj.jpg

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    God look at that desolate emptiness. Bliss.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I SAVED A TURTLE!

I WAS DRIVING DOWN A FOUR LANE COUNTRY ROAD TO GO CAMPING WHEN I SAW BIG HUGE SNAPPING TURTLE STUCK ON HIS BACK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD

I PULLED A HARD U-TURN, TURNED ON MY HAZARDS, BLOCKED A LANE, WAVED OFF SOME BASTARD GETTING TOO CLOSE, THEN PICKED UP THE ANGRIEST TURTLE I’VE EVER SEEN AND RAN HIM BQCK TO THE FOREST

THE NAVY SAVES THE DAY AGAIN

Updating the lists:

Quid : Not a Synth

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Once it gets my NZ citizenship and can travel using that passport, I'd want to head over to Aussie.

Ukraine, Israel, Scotland, England are really all up there for me to visit. But I'd more want to stick around here.

Also just learned that I apparently am going to need to do a will in the US as well. Since apparently they don't recognize foreign wills due to different probate laws.

It's so frustrating at times being an American overseas.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Quote="sarukun;c-42733831"]Japan is definitely not high on the list of “inexpensive” vacations.[/quote]
    One of my friends from WoW who lives in Australia took a vacation to Hawaii he made fun of cheap it was :rotate:

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    please, please! i'm not prometheus, there's only so much of my liver to go around

This is an excellent joke and more of you need to be ashamed for not appreciating it properly.

Saw a coke deal tonight right in front of me while I was washing off the kitchen mats on the back dock, just two dudes standing twenty feet from me, staring directly at me, exchanging money and contraband.

Then one dude asked if I wanted to score and I told him, 'Nah, it's to hot in the kitchen for that kinda party and I gotta get up early after I close.'

I am continually amazed at the stupidity of low level drug dealers.

On the subject of vacations, I've never actually had but one and it was a trip from Pendleton to Vegas; the most memorable part was being drunk as fuck with my roomie from barracks life and trying to decide to get a buffet or go to a show first and then a buffet.

Through a series of low-blood-sugar, alcohol-induced decisions/mistakes/misunderstandings, we ended up at Cirque Du Soliel. At the end of the show we both agreed that it was simultaneously the gayest thing ever and the most fan-fucking-tastic thing ever, dude we gotta bring the whole fucking battalion here.

As a double-aside, I want to win the lottery so I can host DWPAX, just an entire year of showing up at places around the world, me paying for the food and drinks and Uber so we all get to get silly with each other for no other reason than just because.

And then we do it every year until we all die of liver failure and obesity.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I recently watched a program with Miriam Margolyes traveling around Australia. She's got citizenship and an Australian partner and has been going there for 40 years and owns a house there, but somehow was shocked to learn about how farmers were struggling because of a drought. And the whole show is based around her finding out what "the Australian dream" is to different people and they spend barely any time talking about how that whole concept is colonialist, or like the historical genocide of indigenous Australians at all. She met a native woman (first aboriginal woman in parliament I think?) who was all "I don't identity as Australian, my people had this land stolen from me, it's super fucked up" and her response was basically "Hmm yes that's an interesting opinion." I found the whole thing really infuriating. Clearly, because I just wrote a pointless rant about it.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Ugh that does sound annoying.
    It’s not untypical of a certain British attitude to Australia (we’re the ‘fun backyard’ you head to for a beach and bbq experience, and if the first inhabitants get any consideration at all its as museum exhibits or at most some exotic local color, above all we’re supposed to be a holiday destination, not a place with serious problems or a deep and complicated history),

but I really like Miriam Margolyes and I would have hoped she would be more thoughtful and aware of *waves hands*

• Options
    edited August 2020
    On a different note one of our office staff on our weekly social zoom said something about how she’d been watching Australian reality tv recently and “Australians all seem so, so nice!” and I inadvertently laughed in her face, probably because all my recent news from home heavily features really racist Covid-related fear-mongering.

But even at our best we’re not really nice. Friendly, yeah. Excessively friendly. Niceness is ... suspicious.

tynic on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    If Australians are being polite and nice to you, it's not really a good thing. It's because they are trying to be very formal with you, or they really don't like you.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
This discussion has been closed.