As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

what makes something a toy in the toystoryverse

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Click for a man losing his mind over toy story

i mean how do they make any sound if they don't have a voice box? this part i'm willing to attribute to the magic that makes them come to life

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    What if a kid plays with their food?
    I can go to IHOP and get a pancake with a smiley face drawn on it. Does it become a toy if a kid plays with it?
    Does it stop being a toy when the kid finally decides to sit down and eat the pancake?

good lord I went to Friendly's like... probably two hundred plus times in my childhood?

that's a lot of clown souls

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    It is worth remembering that Andy gets battleship for his birthday and the toys show relief over it, and are shown later playing the game, which does not move or express itself in any way, implying that even though it's played with by a child it doesn't qualify as a "toy"

I'm guessing board games don't generally qualify because they are games, not toys. Pawns and other toy-like components might gain sentience, depending on how a kid thinks of them.
    The really interesting Toy Story question is about the People Who Know. I'm not talking like Sid, who might be in denial to this day. But, you know, adults with nannycams or security systems and have seen everything. Some must have accepted the truth. Maybe they even confronted the toys, showed them the video evidence, but agreed to keep the toys' secrets as long as it makes their kids happy?

I don't think it works like that.

We've seen Woody & co. get up to all kinds of crazy shit in broad daylight, but no one seems to notice. I think Toys have an innate effect similar to a Someone Else's Problem field from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - i.e., they're not invisible, but people's brains tend to gloss over them and/or attribute the noise and motion to something mundane. It's not infallible, which is why they still have to be careful and why they can reveal themselves on purpose.

Security cameras are an interesting point. Possibly the SEP effect encourages people to scroll past footage of Toys moving on their own. But I think even if an adult noticed Toys on a nannycam or whatever and tried to call them on it, most likely the Toys would play dead like they normally do.

...or maybe they just don't show up well on most security cameras on account of toys being small and security footage being shitty/highly compressed.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    if imagination brings the toy to life, do we the audience, in suspending disbelief, give life to the film

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    can toys die

if I fed Lots-o-Huggin’ bear into a wood chipper would he still be a million sentient balls of fluff

is there a toy afterlife

YaYa on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    can toys die

if I fed Lots-o-Huggin’ bear into a wood chipper would he still be a million sentient balls of fluff

is there a toy afterlife
    Well they seemed ready to die in 3

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    can toys die

is there a toy afterlife

Lee Unkrich is the director of Toy Story 3.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    This thread is just pure 100% distilled Penny Arcade Forums content.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    How old do you have to be before you can no longer imbue a toy with life?

Also resisting the urge to post the "Andy's girlfriend" comic

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the what

a comic about the Implications of Andy having a girlfriend over while the toys are...present.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    What about Lego? Like surely my collection of minifigs on the wall comes down at night and parties, but what about when you build something that happens to be an animal, does it come alive only while it's assembled?

And if I go to Walmart right now and buy a Woody toy, when he comes to life does know he's based on the Toy Story movie telling the story of toys that come to life or does my newly purchase Woody think he's based on the fictional Woody's Roundup show like the one in the movie? Which is his reality?

So many questions.

cursedking wrote: »
    the what

a comic about the Implications of Andy having a girlfriend over while the toys are...present.

Oh, no, that's not the one I was talking about

NSFW
    9y8z64353bz41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=96754aca93dd9f569720b88ad652fda331b015c9

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I forgot how cursed the proportions in that comic are.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I want to come back to the sex toy question

Because it raises serious issues for the teledildonic toys

Do they think they’re possessed?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I believe every toy shown to be sentient has a face, so unless the sex toy has a face, it's probably not alive.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    can toys die

is there a toy afterlife

Lee Unkrich is the director of Toy Story 3.

It's been a long time since I've seen the movie but they feel pain, right?

Would said shredded Lots-o-Huggin' just be like, a cloud of indescribable pain floating on the wind until someone had the mercy to burn its remains? Or maybe they're like starfish and each wisp of pulverized fluff essentially becomes an independent entity?

3clipse wrote: »
    I believe every toy shown to be sentient has a face, so unless the sex toy has a face, it's probably not alive.

Sex toys have faces

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I would posit that the requirement of a name is the most important factor in a toy being brought to life. Not just a brand, but a true name. This is why Battleship didn't get sentience but Sarge did.

Also Sarge and the Bucket of Army Men are absolutely a single gestalt entity. The sentience of the other army men is just an extension of Sarge's.

Sex toys have names

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Would the dildo know that it was supposed to be a dragon's dick specifically, and try to hoard gold and precious gems?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    What about Lego? Like surely my collection of minifigs on the wall comes down at night and parties, but what about when you build something that happens to be an animal, does it come alive only while it's assembled?

I could see LEGO being a hive mind.
    And if I go to Walmart right now and buy a Woody toy, when he comes to life does know he's based on the Toy Story movie telling the story of toys that come to life or does my newly purchase Woody think he's based on the fictional Woody's Roundup show like the one in the movie? Which is his reality?

So many questions.

Both. He's the Woody from Toy Story, who is in turn the Woody from Woody's Roundup.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

The etch-a-sketch was already brought up in the thread as an example of a faceless living toy.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Human perception.

Toys exist partially in the Cognitive Realm, due to the existence of aware creatures, like humans. The energy of human will defines the objects according to their thoughts and expectations. If something is played with and viewed as a toy by a human, then the object’s identity in the Cognitive Realm becomes that of a toy. If the toy is broken apart or forgotten for long enough, it will perceive itself as a toy no longer. Similarly to how a tree can become a ship, and then a pile of broken wood. The transition is vaguely understood, but the principle holds.

The real question is what happens to a toy’s Spiritual aspect when it transitions. In my upcoming book, I intend to-

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Toys are born out of the world of childrens' imagination, so it only makes sense that when they die, they return to the same world. How is this possible? I posit that it only became so possible when Bastian Bux used the power of the AURYN to pierce the veil between worlds. That's right, toys weren't alive before 1984.

This theory, though admittedly bold, is clearly true evidenced by the fact that, as demonstrated in the original Toy Story, the only time that toys can reveal themselves to children is to punish bullies, just as Bastian used his infinite power to punish bullies by chase with a fucking dragon until they threw themselves into a dumpster.

Jedoc wrote: »
    Would the dildo know that it was supposed to be a dragon's dick specifically, and try to hoard gold and precious gems?

Brb writing satirical mashup of the Hobbit and Toy Story sponsored by Bad Dragon

Jedoc wrote: »

It would hop around like the lamp from the logo

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

So many questions.

Both. He's the Woody from Toy Story, who is in turn the Woody from Woody's Roundup.
    Generally yes, but what if a Toy Story-branded Woody toy was manufactured, advertised, and released before Toy Story 2 came out, but was not opened and played with until today? Would it know about Woody's Roundup, or would it only have knowledge of the Toy Story IP up through the first movie? Does it matter if the kid has seen Toy Story 2 or not?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

So many questions.

Generally yes, but what if a Toy Story-branded Woody toy was manufactured, advertised, and released before Toy Story 2 came out, but was not opened and played with until today? Would it know about Woody's Roundup, or would it only have knowledge of the Toy Story IP up through the first movie? Does it matter if the kid has seen Toy Story 2 or not?

I think it would pick up the stuff from Toy Story 2 from the collective consciousness.

If the movie flopped? Dunno.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ok, pre-puberty tons of kids play with their genitals. Can you accidentally make your junk sentient?

Edit: try and deny it and I will make sure your parents remember a "hilarious" story to tell your next date!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    only if you draw a face on it

BahamutZERO.gif
    only if you draw a face on it

Ok so does that mean when you make a stomach face and talk with your belly button you are now secretly Kuatu after that with your sentient torso?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If the toys have knowledge of their backstory, how come Woody didn't know about Woody's Roundup?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    What if toys are actually infused with the sentience of forgotten imaginary friends?

If the toys have knowledge of their backstory, how come Woody didn't know about Woody's Roundup?

Woody is old. Theres a solid chance whoever he belonged to first never saw the show

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Speaking of the logo lamp I have this clear memory of the I springing back up and launching the lamp like a trampoline but no one I've ever asked about remembers it. I might be crazy and inventing memories

Carpy wrote: »
    Speaking of the logo lamp I have this clear memory of the I springing back up and launching the lamp like a trampoline but no one I've ever asked about remembers it. I might be crazy and inventing memories

Maybe in the short?

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Does Goku exist in the toy story universe

This brings up a good question. Are those weirdly busty anime swimsuit statues alive?

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Mine are.

mine are