As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Well, I think that still qualifies as it being the headset, and I second your boo. It's been 100% fine with me, but it is a shame when it affects people for reasons that they can't influence themselves. Visually, does it feel okay enough in other games, or do you have a constant sense of something being off?

It's only really noticeable when I'm trying to aim down the sights of a gun as I tend to favour my left eye (I'm a lefty, to boot) and if I don't turn my head to center the view on that one lens, my aim will be way off despite looking perfectly down the sight. Hopefully I'll have better luck in Arizona Sunshine next time I play with my adapted method.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I really need to get in on some Arizona Sunshine with you folks.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
      For any VR heads into the old Thief games: you may be aware of The Dark Mod, a total conversion of Doom 3 that brings the Thief gameplay into a more powerful engine. What you may not be aware of: there's now a (still pretty simple) VR mod for The Dark Mod: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/hxsgxi/the_dark_mod_vr_free_thiefinspired_stealth_game/

I've not checked it out myself (yet), but I could imagine the slower, more methodical gameplay to translate reasonably well to VR.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
      "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
      Wow thanks to @EvmaAlsar for the Vox Machinae info. Bought it, played it. Fantastic VR Mech game!

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
        ...I want a mech game for the Quest. I played one via SideLoad, but it was super meh. Concept was there, but needs a lot of work.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
      • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
        edited July 2020
        I think Vox Machinae is on the Rift? It's very good but is multiplayer only, so it helps to have friends to play it with.

Edit- oh sorry not quest tho.

Gvzbgul on
        Gvzbgul wrote: »
        I think Vox Machinae is on the Rift? It's very good but is multiplayer only, so it helps to have friends to play it with.

I just been playing with bots and it's been fine.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
          TimFiji wrote: »
          Gvzbgul wrote: »

I just been playing with bots and it's been fine.

I bought and installed it but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Let me know if you want to form a mecha-posse!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
        • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
          Are there any accepted opinions on what GPU to go with for VR these days? I'm under the impression the newer Nvidia's add a lot of cost without a whole lot of extra useful capacity? What are people running?

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
          Are there any accepted opinions on what GPU to go with for VR these days? I'm under the impression the newer Nvidia's add a lot of cost without a whole lot of extra useful capacity? What are people running?
          2080, and I'm CPU bottlenecked.

I'm running a 2070 Super, and everything has been fine at top settings with super sampling on, with a few exceptions. I'm running a Vive, but it seems that Oculus games running through Revive take a weirdly large performance penalty.

It hasn't been enough to matter until Asgard's Wrath. I'm running that at medium to get a solid 90fps, but I dip into the 70s with graphics at high or ultra.

Aside from that? Everything is silky smooth

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
          I've been using a Geforce GTX 1080 since I had this computer built a few years ago, still runs everything I want to play just fine.

...except for Detroit: Become Human. But that's more to do with that game melting computers rather than my specs.

6YAcQE8.png
          Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
          Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
        • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
          edited July 2020
          I'm also running a 2070 Super. I bought it in late August of last year after I upgraded to an Index, and at the time it seemed like the sweetspot for running games at that resolution. I'm honestly not sure what the latest batch of Nvidia cards are, but the Supers were a pretty solid bet at the time at least.

edit: taking a quick look at logical increments it looks like the 2070 Super is sadly still exactly the same price as it was last year, and probably not the same relative good purchase. The 5700 XT looks a lot more attractive in comparison now for how much cheaper it is. It looks like the 2070S is a solid step up at the resolutions you're running in VR (the 4K benchmarks are a decent way to judge VR performance), but probably not $130 better for most people.

Fiatil on
        • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
          Ugh, I really need to get in on some Arizona Sunshine with you folks.

I just bought the last of the DLC, and despite owning the game for years STILL haven't played it a single time. Like with most of my massive VR library... I hate not having time for much of anything.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
        • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Just wait a couple months to see where the new cards land. Worst case, you can get a 2000 series for cheaper

steam_sig.png
          Oh nice, the room is coming to vieport this month.

steam_sig.png
          Man. Got to play a couple coop missions with 4 folks online today. Vox Machinae is so dang good!

Where do folks get prescriptions lens for Index?

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
              Where do folks get prescriptions lens for Index?

Got my wife some from WidmoVR. They took a little while to get here, but were accurate to the prescription we gave them, and she's able to play on the original Oculus we have despite having a pretty serious set of specs. They do just kind of, sit in the headset. it feels a bit janky at first, but honestly it's pretty solid.

I got mine from VR optician, but TBH, while it did cut down on the internal reflections from the VR lenses bouncing light off the my glasses lenses, it exacerbated the hell out of the fresnel haloing. Which is managable, but pretty distracting against dark backgrounds. Like Beat Saber.

I kind of regret not just getting generic lenses from Zenni or whoever and odering an adaptor from Zenni, since these were like $200, and will be useless if the Quest 2 changes the shape of the lenses, much less going to a different headset

steam_sig.png
            • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
              So, are the cheaper (sub 100$ or 50$) VR headsets worth it at all, or are headsets basically either shit and cheap or expensive and usable?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
              edited August 2020
              So, are the cheaper (sub 100$ or 50$) VR headsets worth it at all, or are headsets basically either shit and cheap or expensive and usable?

Generally not worth it. You mostly use them to consume 360 video content, with only 3-dof, rather than the 6-dof you get from more expensive headsets.

The middle price options are the Windows Mixed Reality sets, which delivers great value for the price bracket. Or else get an Oculus Quest, which does not need a PC and can be played without cables anywhere. But whose graphics are constrained by the built in GPU.

templewulf on
            • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

I don't know where PSVR lands in the pricing right now, but for me it was a totally worthwhile buy. It comes with it's own prereq of the PS4 though.

templewulf wrote: »

Generally not worth it. You mostly use them to consume 360 video content, with only 3-dof, rather than the 6-dof you get from more expensive headsets.

The middle price options are the Windows Mixed Reality sets, which delivers great value for the price bracket. Or else get an Oculus Quest, which does not need a PC and can be played without cables anywhere. But whose graphics are constrained by the built in GPU.

Yeah, at the super low pricepoint, you might actually get a better resolution just using google cardboard with your phone

steam_sig.png
            • GSMGSM Registered User regular
              I did not expect IO Interactive to suddenly announce the last game in the new Hitman trilogy to have full VR support. Even less did I expect that support to extend to playing every mission from the previous games in the trilogy in VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwjdl6vpxGU

But what I do expect... is that this will never leave PSVR and PC players are out in the cold again.

We'll get back there someday.
            • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
              :(

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
              Is there official word on it being PS exclusive?

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
              Campy wrote: »
              Is there official word on it being PS exclusive?

Not specifically, but the announcement only mentions Playstation VR and makes no mention of any other VR.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
              HP Reverb G2 is looking unbelievably good.
              hkjd8eczw2oj.png

votyqjjlfa2v.png

c0hx15hb2xdp.png

Full video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZvPnd_xTBs

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
              For those of you who were disappointed that Flagship VR seems to have died, it looks like BattleGroupVR has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zODwrIZETs

5gsowHm.png
            • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
              Man that image quality is nice. I may have to grab a reverb when I get one of the 30XX series cards.

edited August 2020
              So I have absolutely no doubts that the Reverb G2 looks boss, and the image quality looks like it's going to be the best in the business.

But the instant I saw those pictures (particularly the third shot with all of the text), all I could think was that the Index does not look like that. I'm not sure what tools they were using, but Elite Dangerous does not look like that on the Index. Those screenshots look like they were taken on a first gen Vive or something (probably not, but I'm trying to figure out what went wrong).

I took these pictures on my shitty cellphone camera. I have shaky hands, and was holding both the headset and my camera -- I just did this 10 minutes ago, so didn't have time to set up something where I could just lay the headset down to stabilize the image. So these pictures are both blurrier than it would look if both the headset and my phone were stable -- both my left hand holding the headset and my right hand holding my crappy phone were shaky as I took these pictures, and my phone does not have a high quality camera.

Even still, it looks substantially better than the pictures shown. There's no way the tools they were using are worse than mine, so I'm confused at how they wound up with that horribly bleedy looking photo of the text in Elite. The first picture is 0 zoom, the second picture is at 3X zoom (which I mostly took as a "how bad can I make this look?"/screen door effect test). Focus on the center part of the of the image, as the outsides are warped by the shape of the lens and my camera's crappy focus/my shaky hands:

ps2hrcoqq1eu.jpg
              oafj89s52qu0.jpg

Fiatil on
            • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
              Ah yeah I was wondering what was up with that lol, they look like they have super screen door effect but just the one axis lol.

I don’t have an index though, good to see that’s not actually the case.

Has anyone already posted about X-Wing Alliance in VR? If not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPkDmqa0XE

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
              "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
              edited August 2020
              Dixon wrote: »
              Ah yeah I was wondering what was up with that lol, they look like they have super screen door effect but just the one axis lol.

I don’t have an index though, good to see that’s not actually the case.

Yeah, it's really weird. Like you can barely see the SDE on the "most vertical" parts of my 3x image (some of the vertical text), but it's everywhere in their images. Even on my zoomed in image the text isn't bleeding together like that though, so I dunno! The closest thing it reminds me of is trying to run a monitor at a non-native resolution (like a different aspect ratio completely, not clean up/downscaling), but that only applies to the blocky/bleedy text and not the SDE.

Edit: I tried to duplicate the first comparison image of the home screen (the "Library" screenshot), but my tools aren't quite up to the task. You need to zoom in to really see it, and that + the refresh rate is freaking out my phone camera, and the affair made me a big nauseous. But looking at it with my naked eye, it really looks like they applied some sort of SDE filter to the image. The SDE on the Index does not look like it does in that comparison image. There is a screendoor effect visible when you're staring at the library logo, but it's very subtle and between the pixels; that's how SDE works for the most part. Their image has this harsh vertical banding going on -- it looks screen doorey, but they're straight lines that run up and down the entire image and look really bad (reposting the image Dhalphir did to emphasize):
              hkjd8eczw2oj.png

That's not how my Index looks. The Index looks like their Index image, but without the vertical banding that runs up and down the entire image. Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember reading about a vertical banding defect on some of the Indexes that were shipping out in the first wave; I don't know if they fixed it in future runs, but Valve was giving replacements if you had the issue, and I personally didn't experience it. I don't 100% know for sure if it manifests as those vertical jaggy lines in their comparison images, but it's the best guess I have.

TL;DR: It looks like they're running their test on a busted Index. They should probably reach out to Valve and have it replaced in order have a valid test. The Reverb is still going to look better, but their basis of comparison is inaccurate.

Fiatil on
            • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
              Wouldn't Hitman in 1st person view be a massive self-handicap?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
              It'd definitely be more difficult, but I don't think it'd be impossible, mainly because Hitman isn't particularly twitchy to begin with. Tweak the audiovisual clues that someone is starting to figure out you're not where you're supposed to be and that'll already resolve a lot of potential issues, I think.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
              I'm more concerned about how they do movement, especially if it's targeting psvr, which doesn't have sticks

steam_sig.png
              Thanks to @GSM for showing me around Payday2! It seemed complicated at first, but we actually managed to finish two missions, even with a brief connection outage.

I've owned Payday 2 forever, but I've never played it. Thanks for the reminder! Once it gets cooler again, I'll have to check with my regular coop mates if any of them want to play it.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg