As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Uh 470-291 bce. I’m sorry?
    From the year 470 BCE to the year 291 BCE. If you're not familiar with BCE, it stands for Before Common Era. BCE is, afaik, exactly the same as BC, but you don't have to feel weird about using "before christ" as the yardstick for your dating.

e:wait no I see it, that's weird
    Maybe it's one of those things where we don't know exactly when he lived, and that's not exact birth and death dates but a range we're pretty sure they fall somewhere within?

My guess is its this one.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Stop taking away my 180 year old philosopher fantasies

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I wish I could go back in time and give the ancient people twitter and then read about the absolutely insane bullshit they tried to pull off in their own words.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Iirc Chinsee philosophers get a bit blurry because they followed a disciple/tutor model. And it was more respectable to attribute your philosophy to a respected founder of your school. Most of the time the founDer would be a real man. So a philosopher could keep writing new works long after his death. But sometimes, if there was no suitable philosopher to attribute your ideas to, they'd gather up the misc writings and attribute them to an invented philosopher.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I wish I could go back in time and give the ancient people twitter and then read about the absolutely insane bullshit they tried to pull off in their own words.

Diogenes would just try and out shitpost dril

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    He was 100% of the elder race. You can trust me I’m of the Watcher Council... er I mean a librarian.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Diogenes would just try and out shitpost dril

Shitposts of the 6th century god it would be amazing

• Options
    The closest we have to that now is probably the graffiti in Pompeii.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I feel like Pompeii graffiti, "Halfdan was here", etc can give us a bit of an idea what that twitter would be like, as well.

• Options
    But there was also like "Here Claudius had a good shit" and that's absolutely timeless I relate with Claudius

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I feel like Pompeii graffiti, "Halfdan was here", etc can give us a bit of an idea what that twitter would be like, as well.

Successus the weaver is in love with the slave of the
    Innkeeper, whose name is Iris. She doesn't care about
    him at all, but he asks that she take pity on him.
    A rival wrote this

A response to this translates to:[4]
    You're so jealous you're bursting. Don't tear down
    someone more handsome―
    a guy who could beat you up and who is good-looking.

time is a flat circle

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    6th century Constantinople twitter is about riots and a plague.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

justinian more like chumpstinian

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

So exactly like 2020 Twitter?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    top-notch 6th century twitter content
    0pfgjtxqt1p4.jpg

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Didn't he like

Get sexually assaulted?

It's a bit complex, and I'm no kind of authority of Lawrence of Arabia...

He claimed it in his book, but theres also a decent amount of supporting ephemera to suggest that he was actually nowhere near the town he claimed it happened at during the time in question. Sexual assault of captives was indisputably a thing that was happening at the time, and Lawrence being Lawrence some biographers surmise that he made it up, either to dramatize his own sacrifices (which is definitely a thing he would do) or as a way of badmouthing a local governor he particularly disliked.

At any rate Lawrence's written version of his sexual abuse reads weirdly erotically, it comes across more as fictional erotica than any kind of long-lasting trauma, and he rewrote it repeatedly. And, well, this is Lawrence of Arabia, we know both that he had issues with masochism and also being sort of a constant cipher who was constantly inventing a new self as the need or whimsy arose. Buuut then other biographers argue that that trauma greatly affected his post-war life, that rewriting those passages is evidence of it, and his sense of personal invulnerability is greatly shaken after the incident.

Tl;dr: it's really hard to make definitive statements when you're trying to document the life of a dude who never stopped reinventing himself and his identity.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    5 Historical Accounts of Werewolves // Herodotus, Beast of Gevaudan + more // Primary Sources 12:37
    https://youtu.be/9oQlsa3xdH8

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Got to the part of my reread of Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution where it gets to the part where the KKK really gets going and... geez fuck what they did still gets me so angry. The sheer monstrousness of their actions, their overwhelming presence and support among the white population in many areas of the states, the total unwillingness or inability of state governments to address the scale of monstrous violence.
    Among some of their worse offenses: (Spoilered because some of this shit is real real grisly.)
    -Disemboweling a black man, alive, in front of his pregnant wife.
    -Cutting to pieces, alive, a son while his parents were made to watch.
    -So many cases of rape, often with family members intentionally being made to watch.
    -Torturing black men and women to the point that they'd lose function in one or all limbs.
    -Putting together "N----r Hunts" where hundreds of klansmen would set fire to black families' homes, then proceed to run them down to "have their fun with them"
    -Assassinating almost every black leader and many a sympathetic white leader, especially in the deep south where if you were a literate black man your life was basically forfeit.
    -Bursting into courthouses of judges (in broad daylight) known to be at all sympathetic to black legal cases and assassinating them.
    -The wholesale slaughter down to the last man woman and child of african american communities who dared to arm themselves against the violence. In the worst case over 280 black men were slaughtered, even after they surrendered, by thousands of whites.
    -Burning down black churches, in some states they literally burned down every black church. Naturally black ministers were a prime target for torture and murder.
    -Burning down the head offices and murdering members of the few southern newspapers that spoke out against them.
    -Destroying the business or murdering
    -Assassinating black state legislators and the few white state legislators who were committed to defending basic human decency.
    The vileness, the cowardice, the sadism, of the organization and the morally repugnant support by most of the white population of the south still get me. I guess I should also mention some cases of tragic personal bravery. One white unionist was set upon by over twenty klansmen in broad daylight and he managed to kill four of them in the melee before they got him. One prominent black Republican political organizer was beaten almost to death and asked by a northern newspaper if he'd still vote republican, he replied "If the election were held today, I'd vote for the most Radical ticket I could." He was subsequently beaten even worse. The black militia members who defended their community were almost guaranteed to die but many still volunteered for the role. One North Carolina legislator defied numerous threats on his life by the Klan to continue to advocate for state protection for blacks, and when asked why responded "Over three thousand poor colored folks have risked their lives to vote for me, I cannot abandon them to the Ku Klux." He was eventually assassinated in broad daylight.

To paraphrase a summation the book made about Klan activities.
    "The Ku Klux Klan was so successful in largest part because of one singular advantage they had over their opponents. Their opponents worked for democracy, wanted to create a just society, and believed in basic human decency. The Klan did not."

• Options
    One of the best things about RDR2 is coming upon a Klan rally in the woods and chucking a stick of dynamite into the middle of it.

We need more of that in media I think.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think the media landscape would benefit from big public hangings of klansmen in full regalia do em a dozen at a time, oh fuck it make it thirteen, lagniappe

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    One of the best things about RDR2 is coming upon a Klan rally in the woods and chucking a stick of dynamite into the middle of it.

Django Unchained did a really good job of making the Klan look the ridiculous pack of idiots that they are, and then also blew them up with a cart full of dynamite. v. good storytelling

• Options
    While publically executing batches of klansmen by stuffing them onto a cart and throwing sticks of dynamite at it would be very funny I personally feel that hanging would provide a certain gravitas for the sake of posterity

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Got to the part of my reread of Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution where it gets to the part where the KKK really gets going and... geez fuck what they did still gets me so angry. The sheer monstrousness of their actions, their overwhelming presence and support among the white population in many areas of the states, the total unwillingness or inability of state governments to address the scale of monstrous violence.
    Among some of their worse offenses: (Spoilered because some of this shit is real real grisly.)
    -Disemboweling a black man, alive, in front of his pregnant wife.
    -Cutting to pieces, alive, a son while his parents were made to watch.
    -So many cases of rape, often with family members intentionally being made to watch.
    -Torturing black men and women to the point that they'd lose function in one or all limbs.
    -Putting together "N----r Hunts" where hundreds of klansmen would set fire to black families' homes, then proceed to run them down to "have their fun with them"
    -Assassinating almost every black leader and many a sympathetic white leader, especially in the deep south where if you were a literate black man your life was basically forfeit.
    -Bursting into courthouses of judges (in broad daylight) known to be at all sympathetic to black legal cases and assassinating them.
    -The wholesale slaughter down to the last man woman and child of african american communities who dared to arm themselves against the violence. In the worst case over 280 black men were slaughtered, even after they surrendered, by thousands of whites.
    -Burning down black churches, in some states they literally burned down every black church. Naturally black ministers were a prime target for torture and murder.
    -Burning down the head offices and murdering members of the few southern newspapers that spoke out against them.
    -Destroying the business or murdering
    -Assassinating black state legislators and the few white state legislators who were committed to defending basic human decency.
    The vileness, the cowardice, the sadism, of the organization and the morally repugnant support by most of the white population of the south still get me. I guess I should also mention some cases of tragic personal bravery. One white unionist was set upon by over twenty klansmen in broad daylight and he managed to kill four of them in the melee before they got him. One prominent black Republican political organizer was beaten almost to death and asked by a northern newspaper if he'd still vote republican, he replied "If the election were held today, I'd vote for the most Radical ticket I could." He was subsequently beaten even worse. The black militia members who defended their community were almost guaranteed to die but many still volunteered for the role. One North Carolina legislator defied numerous threats on his life by the Klan to continue to advocate for state protection for blacks, and when asked why responded "Over three thousand poor colored folks have risked their lives to vote for me, I cannot abandon them to the Ku Klux." He was eventually assassinated in broad daylight.

To paraphrase a summation the book made about Klan activities.
    "The Ku Klux Klan was so successful in largest part because of one singular advantage they had over their opponents. Their opponents worked for democracy, wanted to create a just society, and believed in basic human decency. The Klan did not."

And then it turned out that it was 100% OK to negotiate with terrorists, actually...

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    While publically executing batches of klansmen by stuffing them onto a cart and throwing sticks of dynamite at it would be very funny I personally feel that hanging would provide a certain gravitas for the sake of posterity

They didn't deserve gravitas.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    It's an awkward look, historically, dynamite cart executions, it's just kind of strange

Like again don't get me wrong I'm laughin but it's an undeniably weird tone to set

Also heh heh what's with the past tense

Hobnail on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Learning the extent of the terror of the KKK radicalised me.

In Australian schools it was like, 'oh yeah sometimes they burned crosses to scare people', 'they lynched, like, a half dozen black people', 'lets all watch Mississippi Buning'

Learning the stuff that gundi posted, and the rest of it, blew my head off.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    if you would like to know what kind of shit the second Klan got up to, I recommend Trouble in Mind by Leon Litwack

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Important context: the following post is 100% "yes, and" and 0% "yes, but." The Jim Crow South was a historically awful society that should forever be remembered right alongside Nazi Germany in spirit if not in scale.

Yes, and the north was and is extremely racist, and the main difference between the post-reconstruction north and south is that the north didn't kill as many Black people because they got the walls up first. Redlining and sundown towns were vastly more common in the north and west than in the south, and the systematic and universal exclusion of non-whites from the property market for an entire goddamn century did as much to disenfranchise modern people of color as all the lynchings and race massacres.

Most of the Pacific Northwest was founded as de facto or de jure white supremacist states, and some of the most intense redlining and sundowning in the nation took place in the Great Lakes region and California. There was a tremendous amount of racial violence in all parts of the country outside of the Deep South, it's just not as visible to popular history because they didn't start out the Nadir period with a large Black population.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Important context: the following post is 100% "yes, and" and 0% "yes, but." The Jim Crow South was a historically awful society that should forever be remembered right alongside Nazi Germany in spirit if not in scale.

Yes, and the north was and is extremely racist, and the main difference between the post-reconstruction north and south is that the north didn't kill as many Black people because they got the walls up first. Redlining and sundown towns were vastly more common in the north and west than in the south, and the systematic and universal exclusion of non-whites from the property market for an entire goddamn century did as much to disenfranchise modern people of color as all the lynchings and race massacres.

Most of the Pacific Northwest was founded as de facto or de jure white supremacist states, and some of the most intense redlining and sundowning in the nation took place in the Great Lakes region and California. There was a tremendous amount of racial violence in all parts of the country outside of the Deep South, it's just not as visible to popular history because they didn't start out the Nadir period with a large Black population.

I tried about eight times to think of a good reply to this post but I keep getting too angry and upset and my fingers won't do what I want.

• Options

To be fair though, the intense campaign of violence against blacks in the south did discomfit many whites in the North and what is allowed very temporary Radical Republican de-facto control. Even a very small number of otherwise pretty racist southerners switched sides and balked at just the overwhelming violence.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »

To be fair though, the intense campaign of violence against blacks in the south did discomfit many whites in the North and what is allowed very temporary Radical Republican de-facto control. Even a very small number of otherwise pretty racist southerners switched sides and balked at just the overwhelming violence.

nathan bedford forrest(who literally helped form the klan) later testified before congress and volunteered to help straight up murder members of a Tennessee lynch mob because the klan got too racist and violent

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

This is also one of the best parts of Mafia 3

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Was reading something about the Late Bronze Age Collapse (approx. 1200-1150 BCE), and learned about the 4.2 Kiloyear Event a thousand-ish years before, the previous "about all the civilizations collapse" time from about 2200-2100 BCE. The Old Kingdom of Egypt, the Akkadian Empire, the Indus River Valley Civilization, and the Liangzhu culture on the Yangtze River, just as an example of how far reaching this was. Much bigger proportionally than the Bronze Age Collapse, since that was Mediterranean-centered, whereas the 4.2 Kiloyear Event seemed to be Eastern Hemisphere-wide.

There's some controversy about the exact dating and sometimes scanty archaeological evidence. But yeah, just thinking about cycles of civilization collapse. It all fell apart, it rebuilt itself for a thousand years, it all came apart again, rinse and repeat.

Don't know if I have much else to say without just being really gloomy about it all.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    A lot of what we know about the Akkadian Empire is unfortunately based on later (sometimes semi-mythological) sources or conjecture, Akkad itself might lie buried somewhere under modern Baghdad

The Akkadian Empire was immediately followed by the Sumerian Renaissance and the Third Dynasty of Ur which is generally considered among the high points of Mesopotamian civilization

The Indus Valley Civilization didn't vanish together with the Akkadian Empire, generally it's "Golden Age" is supposed have lasted concurrently with the Third Dynasty of Ur

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Chinese prehistory is complicated by the fact that only one specific lineage of civilizations is recognized in historical records, the one which was thought to have given risen to the Han dynastic state

But the picture we're getting nowadays is that China was dotted by a network of highly advanced states and cultures which differed tremendously among each other - Chinese prehistory is only now being written, with an expansion of archaeological activity which wasn't possible in the past

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Was reading something about the Late Bronze Age Collapse (approx. 1200-1150 BCE), and learned about the 4.2 Kiloyear Event a thousand-ish years before, the previous "about all the civilizations collapse" time from about 2200-2100 BCE. The Old Kingdom of Egypt, the Akkadian Empire, the Indus River Valley Civilization, and the Liangzhu culture on the Yangtze River, just as an example of how far reaching this was. Much bigger proportionally than the Bronze Age Collapse, since that was Mediterranean-centered, whereas the 4.2 Kiloyear Event seemed to be Eastern Hemisphere-wide.

There's some controversy about the exact dating and sometimes scanty archaeological evidence. But yeah, just thinking about cycles of civilization collapse. It all fell apart, it rebuilt itself for a thousand years, it all came apart again, rinse and repeat.

Don't know if I have much else to say without just being really gloomy about it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4

welp down the rabbit hole I go

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Why Do We Shake Hands? 9:06
    https://youtu.be/xMDiZseUAGw

Will we ever shake hands again?! With the current state of the world, no one can really say. But that got us wondering... why do we shake hands in the first place? Today, Danielle traces the history of the handshake from Babylonia and the early Greeks to the present.

Special thanks to our Historians Harry Brisson and
    Melanie-Antonietta Brown and Archivist Rachel Brice on Patreon!

Created and Hosted by Danielle Bainbridge
    Produced by Complexly for PBS Digital Studios

Peas on
  • Options
    I've been reading about Sorbians and Serbians and the interesting connections they share, but I must say it is a crime against etymology that neither group was involved in the popularization of sorbets.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    https://nypost.com/2014/09/14/the-death-row-inmates-who-were-forced-to-play-baseball-for-their-lives/
    On a hot summer day in baseball-mad Rawlins, Wyoming in 1911, a tightly-packed crowd watched pitcher Thomas Cameron rear back and hurl a fastball toward home plate. The ball went wild, clipping the opposing player on the left shoulder before bouncing into the stands, allowing him to take first base.
    Cameron was dying on the mound. In more ways than one.
    A convicted rapist, Cameron was pitching for the Wyoming State Penitentiary All Stars, a team featuring only the hardest of hardened criminals.
    Many in town, from local bar patrons to team captain George Saban — himself a convicted murderer — to the prison warden himself had substantial sums wagered on the All Stars to win.
    The stakes for the convicts were higher than simply the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat.
    Wins, they were told, meant time off on their sentences. Losses, however, came with consequences, write Howard Kazanjian and Chris Enss in the unbelievable new book, “The Death Row All Stars: A Story of Baseball, Corruption, and Murder” (Twodot).

“Individual errors that cost the team the win,” they write, “would result in death.”
    The past is a horrifying place and I would not wish to go there.

This discussion has been closed.