As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Expanse] let's just stay here for a moment

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'd rather they wrote him off. The recast for Arjun was super distracting, and he'd been a very minor character previously. Recasting Alex would be rough.

Also I'm fuckin' devastated that Cas is a creep. I had him firmly in the coolguy category in my head, and it's made me realize I don't know what's going on with anybody.

Yeah, I thought that whole cast seemed like good people. This makes me worried about the others.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Seems Cas Anvar is a creep as well.

They are investigating right now.

Seems a bit early to jump from "accused of being" to "is", at least going by the article you link.

steam_sig.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I'd rather they wrote him off. The recast for Arjun was super distracting, and he'd been a very minor character previously. Recasting Alex would be rough.

Also I'm fuckin' devastated that Cas is a creep. I had him firmly in the coolguy category in my head, and it's made me realize I don't know what's going on with anybody.

Yeah, I thought that whole cast seemed like good people. This makes me worried about the others.

Its not contagious

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Nah but it's not like people exist in a vacuum either. If someone's doing creepy shit over a long period then there's probably at least a couple of people who know about it and haven't done anything.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Seems Cas Anvar is a creep as well.

They are investigating right now.

Seems a bit early to jump from "accused of being" to "is", at least going by the article you link.

The Twitter thread where this first came up had like half a dozen people chime in going "Yep, he did something similar to me". That's...not promising.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    While I totally get that, Game of Thrones was able to pull off a cast switch of Daario Naharis that was as obvious as the switch from Plan 9 From Outer Space:
    jrv77ih9hnmb.jpg

If they could get by with changing to someone who looks absolutely nothing like the previous, they could re-cast Alex.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I honestly never noticed they recast Arjun because it's hard to pay attention to people other than Shohreh Aghdashloo when she's doing a scene.

steam_sig.png
    I honestly never noticed they recast Arjun because it's hard to pay attention to people other than Shohreh Aghdashloo when she's doing a scene.
    I totally did. Brian George was (imho) the perfect Arjun. Sweet and relying more on poetic romance which perfectly counters Avasarala's harshness. Michael Benyaer looks and acts more hardened and serious, which I'm not a fan of. Either way, it's a minor role but I gave some serious side eye.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Just kill him off and put Bobbie in the pilots seat. I'd believe she could fly the Rocinante without question

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Just kill him off and put Bobbie in the pilots seat. I'd believe she could fly the Rocinante without question

Well, she told Avasarala she wasn't a pilot, other pilots carry her around so she can kill things.

5gsowHm.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Well, she told Avasarala she wasn't a pilot, other pilots carry her around so she can kill things.

We haven't gotten there in the show yet, I don't think.... and I don't think its a spoiler to say that at one point in the books Bobby demands control of the Roci's weapon systems. Alex objects, and Bobbi replies something to the effect of "Why do you think they call us gunnery sergeants? Give me control." And then she proceeds to kill a bunch of bad guys.

Bobbi is awesome.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Bobbie and Avasarala are both quick learners.
    I'm not saying they should replace Alex with Bobbie and Avasarala as co-pilots, but they should replace Alex with Bobbie and Avasarala as co-pilots.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Im sorry Avasarala being the new pilot would be really dumb.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Im sorry Avasarala being the new pilot would be really dumb.
    That's why I'm not saying it.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    A space marine piloting a space navy ship goes against every instinct in my body I won't allow it.

If the investigation bears out the allegations they should just bite the bullet and recast him. Itll be awkward but better than writing him out off screen and trying to shoehorn someone new into a close knit crew

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It wouldn’t be any harder than adding Bobby.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Even cursory googling shows a ton of screen shots between him and women acting creepy. He also tried to get his buddies to harass his accusers.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Quid wrote: »
    It wouldn’t be any harder than adding Bobby.

Right but she filled a new role for them as a whole. Any new character is going to be first and foremost "the new alex" and bleh just hire another actor with the talent who looks vaguely like him.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The show does not exactly have a large roster of Martian characters that could be adapted to hit upcoming Alex story beats. Just recast and be public and vocal with viewers about why that change had to happen.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It would also be very hard to have a new character fill the role that Alex does in the story. I'd rather they just recast and be done with it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited June 2020
    I will play the new Alex.

There... now we can all rest easy.

EDIT: Wait... I'm dirty blonde and even at 40 must glue cat hair to my face to mimic facial hair... maybe I won't work. DAMNIT ALL TO HELL!

Le_Goat on
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I would also prefer that the character be recast. I like the character of Alex and I have since I read the book. If Cas Anvar is a creep then fuck letting him take Alex with him on his way out.

People get recast. It's not common but it does happen and people usually understand. If Spartacus can recast Spartacus and three different people can play The Mountain then we can ditch Cas and keep Alex.

Diplominator on
    edited June 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Even cursory googling shows a ton of screen shots between him and women acting creepy. He also tried to get his buddies to harass his accusers.

Conducted aforementioned cursory googling, didn't find the pictures, but did find a compilation of tweets with screen shots of DMs. Yeah, seems a recast is in order, at the very least. Are any criminal investigations other than the private one by the company Alcan under way?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Yeah, recast and move on.

Alex may not have many large story beats, but he is an important supporting character, he interacts with other characters and furthers their story development via said interactions. One defining example is the episode CQB, where Alex's nervous talk during the battle is used to highlight how battles work and why we should feel tension at the sound of the rail guns firing This was better then having the Martian Bridge crew go into info-dump mode about stuff the bridge crew should already know. So having Alex explain it to the non-military veterans of the (future) Rocinante crew is good story telling.

Getting rid of Alex would harm the show going forward. Getting rid of Cas Anvar would harm absolutely no one. Character=/=Actor. Replacing him with a new pilot would be the same as recasting him really.

Plus there are probably a lot of muslim actors looking for a role that is not "ISIS Terrorist #3" and who are we to deny them a chance?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bobbie and Alex serve different functions in the overall narrative. Now, I feel like sometimes Alex is under-used as "The Driver," but that doesn't mean he can be easily replaced in the story.

Skeevy dirtbags, on the other hand, can be replaced at no loss to my sleep. Recast, if he's guilty.

This one is especially weird because they've already finished filming Season 5. So if they recast it's either reshoot all his scenes fast (hard and expensive) or wait til season six (awkward as fuck)

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    This one is especially weird because they've already finished filming Season 5. So if they recast it's either reshoot all his scenes fast (hard and expensive) or wait til season six (awkward as fuck)

It's not that awkward. People understand the realities of filmmaking. If they come out and say, "Hey, this guy is history but we already filmed this season. Sorry, but this is the last you'll see of him." that seems sufficient to me. Ru Paul's Drag Race aired a whole season knowing that one of the contestants would end up disqualified and booted from the show for sexual misconduct. They just showed a title card before every episode explaining it had been filmed in advance and that person was no longer involved.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So apparently one of the show’s crewmembers tweeted out and then deleted that Season 6 started preproduction today.

5gsowHm.png
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Did they film S5?

VishNub wrote: »
    Did they film S5?

It's done filming, yes. Probably still doing the VFX and figuring out WTF to do about the guy who plays Alex.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Seems like a pretty easy in-universe recast fix in the Expanse universe — e.g., have him get his face shot off and get massive reconstructive surgery, and cast an actor who can do a passable impression

They can regrow limbs and spines, with some difficulty, so faces and features seem plausible

You could also just recast and not mention it, ofc

Evil Multifarious on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just recast him, put up a card explaining why he's still in season five.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I'm reading the books and catching up to the show

Book 4 spoilers
    I'm at Murtry's shitty little colonialist speech about the lag time before civilization

It would have been nice if Holden had said "you ignorant racist fuck, there already was civilization there, and sociopathic footsoldiers like you brutalized people and tore that civilization apart so your masters could roll around in their blood money," and then shot him

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    He doesn't go quite that hard, but I think you'll approve of the TV adaptation of that scene!
    IIRC Holden's reply to the "civilization has a lag time" argument is something along the lines of "I met someone else who used past genocides to justify his bullshit. Friend of mine shot him in the face."

Oh brilliant
    Random thought:

The Rocci in the show still has that gas hauler fake paint scheme on it. Is that a real in universe company and how annoyed do they have to be that their branding keeps showing up in these weird ass situations :P

(at least it does in the show, not sure what the book does)

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I believe Beratnas Gas is a made up shell company in universe

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Anyone knows when the last book is coming out? I've been starving for something good to read. I got a moment of hope when I saw new posts in the thread.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Anyone knows when the last book is coming out? I've been starving for something good to read. I got a moment of hope when I saw new posts in the thread.

The publisher delayed it a bit last I saw. Wiki has a date of 2021-06-10 which is more than I thought it had been delayed.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Is there a name for the new book I can be on the look out for?

steam_sig.png