As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I played a lot of Geoguessr in quarantine. It was a way to feel like I wasn't in my house, and you only get one free one per day so it was something to look forward to. It's a way different game when you're prepared to spend forty-five minutes triangulating Russian mileage signs to try and figure out exactly what hundred-yard stretch of desolate Siberian highway it dropped you on this time.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The new Microsoft Flight Simulator should include getting to the airport as a mode

They've already got the map details

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    From the skyscrapers of Kroy Wen to the beaches of Ainrofilac

This is the exact sort of thing I would fall for then be mad at myself about if this was the twist ending to some sci-fi movie.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I played a lot of Geoguessr in quarantine. It was a way to feel like I wasn't in my house, and you only get one free one per day so it was something to look forward to. It's a way different game when you're prepared to spend forty-five minutes triangulating Russian mileage signs to try and figure out exactly what hundred-yard stretch of desolate Siberian highway it dropped you on this time.

Oh is it not free to play anymore? I loved geoguessr. Especially when you're plonked on a totally deserted highway and the first direction you choose can be the difference between a ten minute game and a two hour one.

Yeah, they split it up into a free version that uses the old shitty fixed-camera version of Google maps that works like an old-school dungeon crawler and a premium version that uses the modern Google maps that gives you a free camera within every map segment. You can play one free game a day with the premium version without paying any money.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Last time I played that game it dropped me onto a long stretch of road with miles and miles of empty countryside in front of me with no signs. I panned around, looking for any identifying things, and immediately saw that, directly behind my starting position, was the back end of an airport.

Mission complete I guess?

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The new Microsoft Flight Simulator should include getting to the airport as a mode

Oh yeah full airport simulator and everything, security screens and stuff, overpriced McDonald's, angry families and couples having quiet but obvious arguments in a corner. Lean into it!

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Oh yeah full airport simulator and everything, security screens and stuff, overpriced McDonald's, angry families and couples having quiet but obvious arguments in a corner. Lean into it!

Sounds like an add-on for The Sims.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Bone camp? Isn't that how you get Jasons?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Bone camp? Isn't that how you get Jasons?

No no thats a common mistake. This will only get you mammoth ghosts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That's amazing and horrifying

Meat eating and animal processing is of course still very much a thing now, but something about the scale of the animal makes it much more grim

And then you have the thing with modern elephants being almost helpful to humans entirely of their own volition

I know personifying animals is bad, but elephants seem "special."

I am aware many people do not have the luxury of that thought process

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Further evidence that humans have been pushing animals to extinction long beforethe 20th century?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Further evidence that humans have been pushing animals to extinction long beforethe 20th century?

I doubt humans had the scale to do that back when we were still scattered nomads that mostly hunted.

I dont think we helped matters mind you

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    mammoths existed while the pyramids were being built!

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

are you- really?

that is so cool.

the main populations died out some time before the construction of the pyramids, but small populations survived on arctic islands up until about 2000 BC!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

The stuff we have from the Hyporian Age { over 10 thousand years ago} is not much and with most of it we have no idea what it was for

Why it's called the hyporian age is because an argument between two Russian Scientists about what to call the age the Shigir Idol came from as there are other things that have been found that are older
    But one of them was a fan of Conan and forgot how to spell Hyborian

the main populations died out some time before the construction of the pyramids, but small populations survived on arctic islands up until about 2000 BC!

So like in the documentary Ice Age?

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

So like in the documentary Ice Age?

Exactly, but sadly horny John Leguizamo sloths are still only a theory.

Hey, this beetle knows how to crawl out a frog's butt when it gets eaten. How's your day going?

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited August 2020

I doubt humans had the scale to do that back when we were still scattered nomads that mostly hunted.

o_O
    Humans absolutely drove the extinction of megafauna upon arrival in both Australia (c 60k-80k BCE) and north America (c 20k BCE), as well as a lot of predator species across Europe (wolves in the UK, lions in the Mediterranean). And that's just the stuff we know about for sure.

Humans have been a horrible invasive species pretty much since the day we left Africa.

tynic on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

o_O
    Humans absolutely drove the extinction of megafauna upon arrival in both Australia (c 60k-80k BCE) and north America (c 20k BCE), as well as a lot of predator species across Europe (wolves in the UK, lions in the Mediterranean). And that's just the stuff we know about for sure.

Humans have been a horrible invasive species pretty much since the day we left Africa.

One of the few species that doesn't really have an ebb and flow of population related to the carrying capacity to the environment too.

Oh we ate all the food? Well guess we'll make our own. Thus farming and eventually animal husbandry were born.

That's not even accounting for the whole "oh you attacked me? Guess your whole species is gonna die" thing humans like to do.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

I'm impressed by the way no one gives a shit, nobodys even lookin up, I see a regular train goin by and I'll stop to stare at it all gormless

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And it's still running in normal service
    ti3d97rh67zy.jpg

Hobnail wrote: »

I'm impressed by the way no one gives a shit, nobodys even lookin up, I see a regular train goin by and I'll stop to stare at it all gormless

Come stand by my apartment building and you'd never move again.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Someone get that man some gorm!!

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    No don't I'd just waste it

Damn, that coat...

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    you are in a desert

I don't care how incredibly fresh your style is, you must be dying under that thing, dude

edit: I guess fashion is pain

I did wear a scarf to use as a mask when the Plague started, despite the heat

looking like Raziel was worth it.

Depressperado on
    edited August 2020
    Afghanistan has really high mountains and gets very cold in winter. I assume he wasnt kitting about like that in mid summer.

tynic on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The high desert in winter is frigid.

shit I didn't even think about mountains

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah dude the desert is freezing cold

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    the arctic is a desert, I think!

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Afghanistan is a land of contras

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I did one of those "survival camps for shithead teens" in the deserts north of Boise in the summer months. 110 degrees by day, below freezing at night.

Fuck the desert.

Photosaurus on
    "If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Lived in the desert most of my life, can confirm it gets cold in winter. Southern California or not, homeless sometimes died if they couldn't find shelter and they were out all night.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    the arctic is a desert, I think!

Antarctica is technically the largest desert in the world.

So yeah, desert and heat are not correlated at all, just a matter of rainfall.