As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Starter Dad

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Starter Dad

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular
    Just get a stunt double to do all the dangerous parenting

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    To be fair though action films really do build up unrealistic expectations about what dads can do.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    To be fair though action films really do build up unrealistic expectations about what dads can do.

They also tend to end with the moral that it's better to be an absentee dad with a dead end job, than a responsible and thoughtful stepdad with a career, as long as you can beat up terrorists, fly a helicopter, or beat up terrorists with a helicopter.

(I'm still mad at San Andreas for what it did to my boy Ioan Gruffudd).

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is always portrayed in his movies as being The Best Dad™. I will cite the Fast and the Furious series as my example. He is shown in those movies to have a loving and attentive relationship with his daughter, while also being a super hero, who for him a normal Tuesday is taking on a regime of international superspy terrorists who steal cars, plant bombs, and do all sorts of mean and bad things.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Jerry's news post is worth a read, he done good.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I didn't feel the stings until much, much later.

I think that pretty much sums up parenthood.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I had forgotten about this movie, but upon seeing this comic I was reminded of it AND the various humorous images I remember seeing back when it was released:

wuazo7njgs8k.jpg

And for several more examples (on an admittedly annoying ad-filled page):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5363195/Fans-mock-Rocks-new-Skyscraper-movie-poster.html

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Wouldn't be more important question be analyzing what would happen when he hits one of the lower windows? Is the glass reinforced enough that he'd just bounce off? Would the heat from the fire affect that? Would it eat his momentum enough that he'd have a chance to grab one of those small ledges, or would he be knocked back too hard?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean, running-just-a-little-bit-faster than usain bolt doesn't seem like it should be an insurmountable challenge for a superhero

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Someone needs to edit that skyscraper poster with Gabe/Mike jumping.

• ZobirisZobiris NS, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Jerry's news post is worth a read, he done good.

Life really comes full circle, doesn't it? I had to actually go back and read his "Further intrusions of actual life" because parts of it have always stuck with me(Though I had completely forgot the part about his son). I've only recently returned to reading PA after a few years, but anytime I've seen a wasp over the last 6-7 years, I've thought about his dad, the swallows, and the fire.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Late to the party but yeah that is a damn good news post. Haven't had any serious safety issues with my son yet. Made it a decade next month and he is still more or less completely intact for someone his age. He did get mad last year and sort of slam his fist down on our great Danes head. Ended up having a small break in the very outermost bone of his hand. Not really sure I could have done anything to prevent that except maybe warn him that Danes have damn thick skulls.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion