As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Police Brutality] Has Caused Ongoing National Protests

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Sound is vibrating air! By definition it has force in it! That's how physics works!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Sound is vibrating air! By definition it has force in it! That's how physics works!

Not the definition of force they're using but...

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Their definition being "I'm doing it", I presume?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Literally, "Im not touching you"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The charge? Assault on a police officer for a too loud bullhorn hurting the cops ears
    Couscous wrote: »
    The NYPD had previously argued that using sound was not legally force because it wasn't physical.

Which was just wrong on so many different levels.

"For thee but not for me."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

*BLM Activist uses a significantly inferior product*

"BUT HE'S TOUCHING ME!"

It's fucking infuriating reasoning, that's what it is.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

So bullets aren't force either then. Got it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

So bullets aren't force either then. Got it.

Why not. Pepper spray is a food product.

Heck, water is the element of life. Still hurts like fuck when it's sprayed at you at 200 psi and you get thrown back by the force of it.

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Unsurprisingly, the NYT gets what antifa is wrong

The paper established to muddy the water during the civil war is not "getting it wrong". Their job is to know the truth and get ahead of it.

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The paper established to muddy the water during the civil war is not "getting it wrong". Their job is to know the truth and get ahead of it.

Your first and second sentences feel contradictory, and as such I have no idea what you're actually trying to express.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    The NYPD had previously argued that using sound was not legally force because it wasn't physical.

Doesn't the NYPD have their sound cannons, which absolutely cause internal damage?

I predict this well end with the NYPD deploying Noise Marines of Slaanesh while protesters build a Doof Wagon.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The point is "antifa" is short-hand for "anti-fascism," which is an ideology / political view, not an organized group as fascists want people to believe. Saying "antifa" is some sort of group is like saying "freedom of speech" is a group, or "voting" is a group.

Edit - And to that point, classifying political views as "dangerous" groups in this manner allows for the state to take action against people who openly or are suspected of supporting the believe, under the guise of "you're part of this terror group now." This is all about establishing a premise for the state to further fuck us.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Your first and second sentences feel contradictory, and as such I have no idea what you're actually trying to express.

My read is, "To know what the truth is, but get their own alternative 'truth' out ahead of it, craft the lie, establish the public narrative."

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Speaking of "antifa" and the effort to try and get it classified as a terror group, Ben Shapiro (noted shithead alt-right pundit) has been caught establishing a fake group using "antifa" as the name:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Henroid wrote: »
    Speaking of "antifa" and the effort to try and get it classified as a terror group, Ben Shapiro (noted shithead alt-right pundit) has been caught establishing a fake group using "antifa" as the name:

Not actually run by Ben Shapiro, it's some weird double-blind by a troll who tries to rile up MAGA crowds.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    My submarine has been fitted with a screen door. :(

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Not to mention the incredible irony of state and federal groups that have massively overstepped the bounds of their power labeling an anti-fascist stance as akin to terrorism, since the only groups that could view anti-fascist stances as related to terrorism are the exact groups pushing fascism.

I mean, anybody in the US who wants Federal, state, and county powers properly restricted and regulated is inherently anti-fascist. People are only coming out as loudly anti-fascist because of the likes of Trump and the MAGA crowd being so blatantly pro-fascist. It's one of those things that's supposed to be "well, no shit everybody is against fascism, everybody knows it sucks", and instead we've got a sizeable crowd going "hell yeah, fascism is great when it's stomping on those people I hate!"

It's popped up time and again in history, but most of the time the fascist crowd is less obvious than saying "those people saying fascism is bad are bad for saying we're bad!"

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I disagree that most people are inherently anti-fascist, actually. Most people believe they are up until actual fascism starts occurring and they have to make a choice between continuing to live in comfortable ignorance or having to take direct action and/or put up with some inconvenience caused by those taking direct action.

It's the "well of course I would have been against slavery back in the day!" arguement. Would you have really? Or would you have just lived a life somewhere where you benefited from it without having to personally witness it, and didn't really feel like voicing any small internal opposition you might have?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Don't post random, unsourced shit from Twitter that makes an unsubstantiated claim you'd like to be true but can't be bothered to look into.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

Doesn't the NYPD have their sound cannons, which absolutely cause internal damage?

I predict this well end with the NYPD deploying Noise Marines of Slaanesh while protesters build a Doof Wagon

There's never a bad time to make/utilize a Doof Wagon.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So reporting on this sucks because it's got all the usual police shooting tics, but yesterday Chicago police shot a black man. The story being reported is someone called police with reports of armed man in the area, they show up, a young black man (early 20s) matches the description, he runs and opens fire, police return fire. Protests ensue. Late last night, widespread looting on the Miracle Mile.

So standard police story, but not camera footage I've found yet.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also Alan Sepinwall wrote about the history of police centered shows and how they contributed to the culture around policing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Also Alan Sepinwall wrote about the history of police centered shows and how they contributed to the culture around policing.

One thing I've started doing since the protests started is really pay attention to how TV / film portrays police. I finished rewatching Justified early this year, and am currently rewatching Person of Interest (which isn't a cop show per se but does heavily interact with that genre). But it also has me thinking of cop shows I have watched and enjoyed to some degree in the past. And my conclusion is... I don't think I would be able to rewatch many of them now.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

One thing I've started doing since the protests started is really pay attention to how TV / film portrays police. I finished rewatching Justified early this year, and am currently rewatching Person of Interest (which isn't a cop show per se but does heavily interact with that genre). But it also has me thinking of cop shows I have watched and enjoyed to some degree in the past. And my conclusion is... I don't think I would be able to rewatch many of them now.

Yeah, I hate that I can't bring myself to watch Brooklyn99 right now. At least with the two you mentioned, they do cover much of the corruption and down sides of how the protagonists behave.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've wanted to watch the shield for a long time and gave it a shot a month or so ago and I swear the very first scene is a group of white cops beating the shit out of a black suspect.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've wanted to watch the shield for a long time and gave it a shot a month or so ago and I swear the very first scene is a group of white cops beating the shit out of a black suspect.

Well, the cops in The Shield are not supposed to be good people.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I've always found them so obviously fake it doesn't matter. It's like medical dramas or lawyer dramas. Like Seattle Grace Hospital has a death toll that a Syrian town would look at go "Man, are you ok there?". I think it can have effects on how society perceives these jobs but it's fundamentally so fake I personally have never had an issue with them.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I mentioned it in the streaming thread, but rewatching Law and Order: Criminal Intent recently, I was relieved that I was able to enjoy it at all. It helps that it's largely sympathetic to criminals who aren't rich or well-connected psychopaths or dirty cops (and that rich psychopaths and dirty cops make up like 80% of the criminals they deal with).

It gets a lot worse when they start alternating episodes with Logan's team a few seasons in, they feel like episodes from SVU a different, much shittier show. Guess they were missing the conservative audience.

And even a show that's pretty realistic about police corruption and aware of police abuses sometimes feels off. A lot of procedurals I liked in the past are probably unwatchable for me now.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Guess who just scored a lot of points with me? THE AC-fucking-LU. Quoting the tweet thread below, linking the first one.
    BREAKING: We’re calling for the dismantling of the Department of Homeland Security.

Nearly 20 years of abuse, waste, and corruption demonstrate the failure of the DHS experiment.

Many knew DHS to be an ineffective superagency, but President Trump has converted DHS into our government’s most notable badge of shame.

Dismantling DHS, breaking it apart into various federal agencies, and shrinking its federal budget will allow for more effective oversight, accountability and public transparency.
    Edit - As a reminder for thread relevance, DHS has gotten directly involved in the anti-protest attacks US law enforcement has engaged in.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If they are just calling for it then the government can feel free to ignore them just like everything else. Are they doing anything more concrete?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    If they are just calling for it then the government can feel free to ignore them just like everything else. Are they doing anything more concrete?
    It's important when any major agency or person with a platform calls for things to change. That's how change starts. You start rallying support and making the arguments. Change doesn't just happen out of nowhere when legislation pops into someone's head instantaneously.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

There's no way to sue for it, so I'm not sure what else you're expecting.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    At the very least, ACLU supporting it means dismantling the Department of Homeland security is getting much more mainstream.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

There's no way to sue for it, so I'm not sure what else you're expecting.

Well, I suppose that's fair.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It is going to be tough to get that through congress.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Perhaps why we are attracted to media where justice is achieved by outliers of the police system (masked vigilante, consulting civilian investigator, the one honest cop on the force, etc.) is that because on some level, we know those systems to be broken.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I mentioned in the SE thread how many cop shows really need to be axed. They give the clueless and impressionable children the wrong idea of things are and how the police should work. I don't recall many getting into how there is a fair bit of corruption and racism in the PD. if it does get touched, it ends up be handwaved away as just a few rotten cops. Then there is the very problematic case of many cop shows having the perp getting gunned down. I'd argue that lazy ass style of writing, which is what it is because it's the writers making sure they never have to revisit the story, has normalized a perception in too many that it's okay for the police to be trigger happy. If there is one more thing I could get changed with TV involving policing, other than the fact that COPS got axed, it would be that style of writing getting axed as well and the vast majority of police show episodes ending with the perp getting arrested. Second thing would be a more honest portrayal of how dysfunctional most PDs are and the third be court dramas touching on how bullshit a ton of things are if you're poor and a minority and how easy wealthy white shits have it at evading justice.

Also would live to see abolishing the DHS get traction. It's a shit department that shouldn't have been created. We only really needed an agency to make sure intelligence agencies did a better job of sharing information so that if they each have pieces of insight on what a criminal group is up to; especially, one that goes out of it's way to cause mass violence, action can be taken quicker to prevent them from carrying shit out. IIRC besides the Bush admin being fucking dumb, part of the issue with 9/11 was that a few agencies did have pieces of the puzzle and if they had shared, people would have grasped the nature of the threat far earlier and might have been able to stop it. Problem was, no one wanted to share for agency rivalry bullshit reasons. In regards to civil liberty concerns, some of that could be addressed by stipulating which specific organizations sharing is required and scenarios where it's warranted to get judge approval to start sharing. That way the FBI, ATF, CIA and whoever else can't all start keeping tabs and coordinating intel they've gathered on some random BLM activist.

Hell, nuking DHS would be the first step at probably purging ICE from the government and running a bunch of shitty fascists out of government jobs. IIRC it's widely believe that the department is full of tons of fuckups that wouldn't be able to otherwise get a government job.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Dismantle DHS for utterly failing to live up to its own stated mission. Oppressing peaceful protesters with violence and putting refugees and children in cages does nothing to safeguard the American people, our homeland, and makes a mockery the values we supposedly honor.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Dismantle DHS for utterly failing to live up to its own stated mission. Oppressing peaceful protesters with violence and putting refugees and children in cages does nothing to safeguard the American people, our homeland, and makes a mockery the values we supposedly honor.
    What they would tell you in response to this is that "antifa" is a "violent terrorist organization." It's why that classification is so alarming; anyone who has a dissenting voice toward the current administration can be classified as a part of that imaginary group and thus face thug retribution.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I've always found them so obviously fake it doesn't matter. It's like medical dramas or lawyer dramas. Like Seattle Grace Hospital has a death toll that a Syrian town would look at go "Man, are you ok there?". I think it can have effects on how society perceives these jobs but it's fundamentally so fake I personally have never had an issue with them.

I enjoy the blacklist because of how trashy it is and it owns it. It's literally about FBI running a blacksite in NY to try and corral criminals, led by the greatest magnificent bastard criminal ever conceived. But its also a universe where there's a terrorist attack that kills 30-50 FBI agents every episode, as a diversion so rich people get more money. At some point you have to hold the people watching this stuff accountable for thinking wrestling isnt fake.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.