As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Election 2020: Democratic Convention Over, Republican Convention Monday

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Unlike 2009, every politician has a Twitter. It'll be difficult to pretend they were Never Trumpers when their opponents have the receipts.

Unfortunately, Trump has proven having a huge backlog of tweets that directly contradict your actions in the present is not the political kneecapping it should be.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Some Democratic poll without a 538 rating has Biden leading by 10 in North Carolina and 4 in Georgia.
    Also Cunningham at 48 % against Tillis' 32 in North Carolina. Ossoff leads Perdue-R 42% – 39% in Georgia.

If only, guys.

Absalon on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Up 10 in North Carolina.

Which is still probably a bad poll.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    Im sure Sanders supporters will vote Biden in more or less the same numbers as they did for Clinton. What a Harris pick helps do is eliminate any desire to campaign for him, whatever that means these days, or give his administration much benefit of the doubt should they win.

As opposed to who? As already discussed, she's one of the more progressive senators. Among the list of potential candidates being floated, I'd argue she's either the most progressive, or right up there. Sure, he could pick Warren, but I'm skeptical she'd move the needle much and the disadvantages of having two old white people from the northeast on the ticket together have been thoroughly discussed.

I think Warren would go over substantially better than Harris in the circles of former Sanders supporters but Im not sure there is a ton that can be done from the Biden campaign to mend fences. Some of the other candidates like Rice or Bass would probably inspire less revulsion as well.

In the end I think Biden kind of made his bed re: support from Sanders people if we understand that to be left leaning young people. You cant really campaign the way he did in the primary and say the things he said and then just hope itll be forgotten. Like I said though Im sure he'll get his votes, its just a matter of how much other support he hopes for in the campaign and going into his administration.

I think this is probably the purest demonstration of why there is low upside to courting the left. :(

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Up 10 in North Carolina.

Which is still probably a bad poll.

Well until no college football broke... Now that'll seem like a quaint lower number.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    Im sure Sanders supporters will vote Biden in more or less the same numbers as they did for Clinton. What a Harris pick helps do is eliminate any desire to campaign for him, whatever that means these days, or give his administration much benefit of the doubt should they win.

As opposed to who? As already discussed, she's one of the more progressive senators. Among the list of potential candidates being floated, I'd argue she's either the most progressive, or right up there. Sure, he could pick Warren, but I'm skeptical she'd move the needle much and the disadvantages of having two old white people from the northeast on the ticket together have been thoroughly discussed.

I think Warren would go over substantially better than Harris in the circles of former Sanders supporters but Im not sure there is a ton that can be done from the Biden campaign to mend fences. Some of the other candidates like Rice or Bass would probably inspire less revulsion as well.

In the end I think Biden kind of made his bed re: support from Sanders people if we understand that to be left leaning young people. You cant really campaign the way he did in the primary and say the things he said and then just hope itll be forgotten. Like I said though Im sure he'll get his votes, its just a matter of how much other support he hopes for in the campaign and going into his administration.

I think this is probably the purest demonstration of why there is low upside to courting the left. :(

I doubt the part of the left that can't be bargained with is significant enough to worry about, outside of their Twitter takes being used to fuel endless Democrats in disarray articles.

Like, the only person I know well online or off who has a completely unchangeable opinion on Biden was never going to vote for anyone. Everyone else is taking his overtures well enough, if not enough to prefer him over someone further left.

Kamar on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Some Democratic poll without a 538 rating has Biden leading by 10 in North Carolina and 4 in Georgia.
    Also Cunningham at 48 % against Tillis' 32 in North Carolina. Ossoff leads Perdue-R 42% – 39% in Georgia.

If only, guys.

No matter what the polling says, the only way Biden wins in Brian Kemp's Georgia is if the map resembles 72 or 84 for the Dems. And even then I don't expect it.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

There are always decisions to be made and consequences thereof. If this were Sanders in the general he'd be wasting his time trying to win over some of the people gushing over Biden now.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Crimson King was warned for this.
    harris is somehow an even more awkward and embarrassing public speaker than biden, so her being the frontrunner is pretty funny and i think demonstrates the weakness of the democratic bench. it should probably not be her just on the basis that she'll make them look stupid

just get that lady who doesn't have any legs. it's only the vice president, who really gives a shit

Tube on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    harris is somehow an even more awkward and embarrassing public speaker than biden, so her being the frontrunner is pretty funny and i think demonstrates the weakness of the democratic bench. it should probably not be her just on the basis that she'll make them look stupid

just get that lady who doesn't have any legs. it's only the vice president, who really gives a shit

Gross, dude

Duckworth has a name

• Options

This, chief? Ain't it.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular

Tammy Duckworth is awesome duder

I am a little worried about next up in the democratic party though

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    geth kick @Crimson King from the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. banned from this thread.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    What was the point of any of that crimson?
    Edit: oh he was kicked

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The white house just went into lockdown? And we have no idea why. So that happened.

Edit: Update apparently a shooting outside the white house?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm not all that worried about next up.

There's lots of exciting people coming up through the ranks in the party. But this isn't really the thread for that.

But the worry about the future doesn't seem quite as dire

• Options
    edited August 2020

This despite constant talk among younger left-wingers on social media about both parties not good and we need third party somehow.

Here is the poll
    , conducted by Tarrance Group and Lake Research. Might not be very accurate, but still.

Absalon on
  • Options
    We told him not to fuck with Tik Tok but he Trumped it anyway.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I told y'all the teens fucking hate him.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Wait.

Do I not count as the youth demo anymore?

I'm no longer a youth voter. I'm going to need a minute.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Wait.

In fairness, we've all aged at ten times the normal rate the last few years.

• Options
    Wait.

Breathe, just breathe. Try not to think about all the music the youths listen to you have idea what it is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wait.

Breathe, just breathe. Try not to think about all the music the youths listen to you have idea what it is.

But I hear the names of so many musicians now and my first thought is “I have no idea who this person is, and I don’t care”.

Old age has already taken me, save yourselves!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

what courting happened

also please try to keep in mind, if you can, that "the way Biden campaigned" was by telling these people not to vote for him because he's not giving them anything they want

Shorty on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

This despite constant talk among younger left-wingers on social media about both parties not good and we need third party somehow.

Here is the poll
    , conducted by Tarrance Group and Lake Research. Might not be very accurate, but still.

I thought the question was never who'd they vote for, but if they'd bother voting in the first place, though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Marathon wrote: »
    Wait.

But I hear the names of so many musicians now and my first thought is “I have no idea who this person is, and I don’t care”.

Literally yesterday, I told my wife about Trump signing an EO trying to ban “The TikTok”.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

what courting happened

The numerous policy concessions from the Biden campaign as a result of his unity coalition.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

what courting happened

also please try to keep in mind, if you can, that "the way Biden campaigned" was by telling these people not to vote for him because he's not giving them anything they want

Feel like it's unfair to say he 100% campaigned that way when he said that, what, maybe twice in the course of the primary?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Oghulk wrote: »

what courting happened

Feel like it's unfair to say he 100% campaigned that way when he said that, what, maybe twice in the course of the primary?

Also, I really doubt Biden’s stance was “hey kids, absolutely do not vote for me”. If I remember correctly, Biden said that in context of discussions about specific topics.

It’s really disingenuous to strip out all context and present it as “telling these people not to vote for him because he's not giving them anything they want”.

Marathon on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

what courting happened

The numerous policy concessions from the Biden campaign as a result of his unity coalition.

Yeah he's made a bunch of movements left since the primary ended, directly as a result of requests from the left. It's been great, as someone also to the left of Biden!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Wait.

In fairness, we've all aged at ten times the normal rate the last few years.

The first Presidency where the country experienced the accelerated aging from the office, instead of the President.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Never count on the media to help a Democrat

Example #45,675,093: Why Joe Biden is in trouble

I'm glad Biden is just straight up calling bullshit on reporters, because they literally cannot help themselves

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Wait.

We’re parents now

We are the olds

• Options

I'm glad Biden is just straight up calling bullshit on reporters, because they literally cannot help themselves

That's literally an op-ed from an attorney for the Trump campaign.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Yep. The Hill just throwing that up there so we have all the information. Both sides of the story. :rotate:

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

what courting happened

Yeah he's made a bunch of movements left since the primary ended, directly as a result of requests from the left. It's been great, as someone also to the left of Biden!

I think the weirdest thing about this argument is that it started from "he'll probably get the votes of most Sanders supporters, but it's likely they'll spend their time and money on other things" and people respond with "gosh there's just no pleasing some people"

candidates aren't even entitled to votes, but he's probably getting them anyway, so it really seems like what people actually want here is for leftists to believe the same things they do

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Yep. The Hill just throwing that up there so we have all the information. Both sides of the story. :rotate:

It's the hill. They lean right normally anyway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    This time around, Trump doesn't really get the benefit of people really hating his opponent and I'd argue that has has found deepened the hate that many have for him, while expanding that base. I'm not sure enthusiasm is something Biden has to worry about. Ideally, he'd want that on his side if he plans on being a two termer. It's just that many don't seem to get that the big thing behind enthusiasm in motivation. Someone that is absolutely terrified of four more years of Trump, has a ton of motivation to vote for Biden, since that is the surest way to ensure Trump loses. Same deal with people that really hate Trump, the easiest way to thwart second term of Trump, is to vote Biden. I'd argue that's the biggest issue with polling on enthusiasm, other than it being hard measure. Lack of enthusiasm doesn't mean one isn't highly motivated to vote for a specific candidate, it's just a case of them having other factors motivating them.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait.

In fairness, I have never cared about popular musicians and my tastes have always been esoteric.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
This discussion has been closed.