As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited August 2020 in Critical Failures
“Ages ago the Plythmerians worshiped whatever they worshiped; Yilnarabi, Parthmarginus, Yonth, whatever name you want to attribute to the nameless, to the forgotten things a dead nation might care for. Like breath from a corpse, isn’t it? Yes.”

zwusdvn2rkpj.jpeg

“Still, what there is, is a temple. Or so they say. A great hulking pyramid. Impenetrable, unscaleable—yet the doors are opening again, and here you are. The night of the pursuit is being rung in once more by a mercurial sky and a droplet of blood for a moon, distant, not a guide tonight. No.”

ofz5qiee1ag8.jpeg

“Don’t tell me why you’re heading there. All the tales get tangled for one of my elderly disposition. Heroes, villains, fools and more have darkened my little abode, and I’ve enough darkness. You’re on the right path, trust me, you’ll get there alright. Ehehehe!”

Perhaps it was a hag in her hut, an owl with an elven face, the cat that isn’t, or the bleached bones of a mermaid in a shallow river.

a7ifdnn2hsub.jpeg

No matter. You steeled yourself to their gaze, their words, that mocking laughter. You marched on until your aching feet had carried you to the beckoning shimmer of starlight on blackest metal.

qh5md5n86pvu.jpeg

The temple awaits. You enter, swallowed by its vastness, and the door behind you melts seamlessly into the walls.

What do you do?

Endless_Serpents on

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Huh?
    Welcome adventurers! To the Temple of Yonth!

What are we playing?
    It’s a dungeon crawl to the death!

Basically, you all individually start at the outer edge of a terrible dungeon, and must head to the middle.

To survive you’ll have to work together with other adventurers, but ultimately only one can triumph at the heart of the dungeon. You can hinder each other too, if you think it’ll give you the advantage in the long run, but there is safety in numbers.

As for the system, we’ll use Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition, with some modifications to make the game significantly quicker and deadlier.

The changes are as follows:
    1. When you make an attack action, be it with a melee weapon, ranged weapon or damaging spell, you hit your target. You don’t roll to hit, and the armour class (AC) of your foe is ignored. All you do is narrate your attack and roll your damage. This works for the monsters too!
    2. Since AC is irrelevant for this game, armour is a straight forward boost to your hit points (HP). Shields allow you to negate damage altogether, but they’ll break quickly.
    3. Whenever a creature takes damage I’ll be rolling on some massive tables of injuries. HP indicates whether a creature can keep going, but each strike has genuine, lasting consequences as well.
    4. As we’re not rolling to hit, having advantage has little meaning for this game. So instead, whenever you would gain advantage to hit, advantage now means I’ll give you a boon, an opening, time, more damage, or a moment to shine. Any rules that use advantage, like the Rogue’s Backstab, still allow all the benefits of having advantage (in that ability’s case, extra damage).

What isn’t changing:
    Skill checks, contested checks, and saving throws, and the weird jumping rules are as per the official rules. You know, rolling 1d20 + bonuses. If you’re new to D&D 5E, just ask.

New Armour & Shield Rules
    Shields
    A basic shield (the one you could start the game with) can be used as a ‘get out of damage card’. Narrate when you use it to take the full force of an attack, then drop it. It’s broken. You’ll likely find stronger shields as you traverse the dungeon.

Armour
    Leather — +5 HP
    Padded — +5 HP
    Studded — +7 HP
    Hide — +8 HP
    Chain-shirt — +9 HP
    Scale-mail — +10 HP
    Breastplate — +10 HP
    Half-plate — +11 HP
    Ring-mail — +12 HP
    Chain-mail — +13 HP
    Splint— +14 HP
    Plate — +15 HP

To answer a question I’m sure is on your mind: This bonus to your HP will be of help at 1st level, but as you acquire new equipment and gain levels the playing field will balance out regardless of your armour.

What can I expect?
    This will be a quick game for as many people as I can get. It’ll be Play by Post, right in this thread once folks have signed up. Your character might kick the bucket after a few rooms, or survive until the end.

I estimate it’ll take between two and three weeks.

I’d like you all to start at 1st level using whatever race and class combo you fancy. Whenever you get enough experience to level up, do it instantly (as best you can) and keep going. You might reach 5th level, but 3rd level is more likely.

There’s no particular rush to start, so we’ll do that when everyone is ready. Any questions, ask, now or as we play. You don’t need to know anything about the system or roleplaying in general.

Last one, how are we determining stats?
    Place 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 as you like.

Endless_Serpents on
    Here be notes:

When we roll, we’ll do it straight into our posts using Geth, the handy dice machine.

Type something like:
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Perception
    Geth roll 1d8 for Damage

And by foul sorcery, it’ll be done.

Perception:
    1d20+2 19 [1d20=17]
    Damage:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Roy al'Char

Summer Eladrin; Urchin; Fighter

The look
    ospu0j2dr54w.png
    Yo Someone tag me if this image is totally fuckin up the page (I'm always phone posting so images always scale for me)

The facts and figures
    Str 13 Dex 16 Con 15 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 9

Saves: str and con

Skill proficiencies:
    Athletics
    Perception
    Slight of Hand
    Stealth
    Survival

Tool proficiencies:
    Disguise kit
    Thieves tools

Features:
    Darkvision
    Fey Ancestry
    Trance
    Fey Step
    City Secrets
    Fighting Style (dueling)
    Second Wind

Equipment:
    A small knife, a map of the city I grew up in, a pet mouse (aerin), a token to remember my parents by, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 310 gp, leather armor, long bow, 20 arrows, rapier, shield, thieves tools, 20 bolts, dungeoneers pack (Includes a backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it). Old spear head. Scimitar, femur club. Reckoning shrapnel bomb. Gith armor.

A gun

Ugullik’s Skipping Stone.
    Brightbrand!

Speed: 30

Max HP: 28
    Current HP: 23

Rapier Dmg 1d8+5
    Longbow Dmg 1d8+3

Experience: 270

Sleep on
    edited August 2020
    An excellent addition! Welcome Roy!

Please add only one of the following to your inventory: What adventure lead you to such a prize?

Boots of the Night Worm. When you wear these bright green knee high boot, you leave obvious tracks that last for 5 minutes, regardless of the surface you walk upon.

Ugullik’s Skipping Stone. When thrown this stone continues to travel for up to 100 feet if possible. The further it is thrown the harder the impact, dealing 2 bludgeoning damage per 10 feet.

Tattered Cloak of Cold. Anything wrapped in this cloak remains cool, eventually gaining a layer of frost. When you wear this cloak, reduce fire damage by 1d6, from you and from any hazard or foe.

Geth roll 3d100

3d100 149 [3d100=1, 99, 49]

Endless_Serpents on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    ‘Billy’

Bio
    Billy is either:
    A) An angry goblin barbarian swathed in goat hide a wielding a Ram-skull mace, or
    B) A particularly foul-tempered goat.
    The smell prevents most from investigating the truth of the matter too carefully. In any case, a self-propelled sure-footed angry headbutt can be a convenient assistant up mountains and down dungeons, and this particularly stubborn case of bad-temper has seemingly attached itself to the group. Billy is strapped with some sort of rudimentary carry bag and a somewhat disturbing amount of useful items entangled in the long hair of their hide, which at least justifies some sort of usefulness from a companion who otherwise mostly communicates in bleats and occasionally teeth.
    6ERlhEm.jpg
    l2OwX8l.png

Goatblin Barbarian Outlander
    Str 14 (+2)
    Dex 15 (+2)
    Con 16 (+3)
    Int 9 (-1)
    Wis 12 (+1)
    Cha 10 (0 [ -1 blisters] )

Saves: str and con

Skill proficiencies:
    Animal Handling
    Athletics
    Perception
    Survival

Tool proficiencies:
    The Horn

Features:
    Darkvision
    Nimble Escape
    Fury of the Small
    Wanderer
    Rage
    Unarmored Defense

Equipment:
    A staff, a hunting trap, a trophy from an animal you killed, a set of traveler's clothes, and a belt pouch, flail, light hammer, 4 javelins, shield, explorer’s pack (Includes a backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, torch (10), rations (10), waterskin, hempen rope (50ft))
    Morgus Bite. A cold iron clasp fit for keeping hair in a top knot. While wearing this clasp each attack you inflict deals +1 damage, but drains 1 HP from you.

Speed: 30

HP: 26 (including Unarmored Defense bonus)

Ram-headed flail Dmg 1d8+2
    Light Hammer 1d4+2
    Javelin 1d6+2

XP: 171

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited August 2020
    A fortuitous event! Welcome Billy!

Please add only one of the following to your inventory: I imagine someone died in the process of acquiring this...

Morgus Bite. A cold iron clasp fit for keeping hair in a top knot. While wearing this clasp each attack you inflict deals +1 damage, but drains 1 HP from you.

Hat of Hail. While wearing this conical hat you are resistant to cold damage, but vulnerable to fire damage. The hat dries in seconds if soaked by water.

Cracked Cap of Water Breathing. While wearing this cap underwater, a bubble of air instantly appears around your head. It allows you to breathe normally underwater. This bubble stays with you for 5 minutes before dissipating; after an hour its power returns.

Geth roll 3d100

3d100 179 [3d100=89, 19, 71]

Endless_Serpents on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar
    Dragonborn Cleric of the Tempest domain

The sexy:
    g4AgrLm.png

Bio:
    Raised in a remote village in the frozen north, Thraxx was raised by his mother, a one armed member of the city guard. She was a great warrior and would often tell him stories of his father, whom she believed was the reincarnation of the god Thor. As an adult, Thraxx is setting out to try and make the god whom he believes is his father proud, but following a legacy of heroics and great deeds.

Stats:
    Str 16 Dex 10 Con 13 Int 8 Wis 15 Cha 13

Saves: Wis and Cha

Skill Proficiency:
    Athletics
    Insight
    Medicine
    Religion

Tool proficiencies:
    None

Features:
    Spell Casting
    Tempest Domain
    Wrath of the Storm
    Draconic Ancestry: Blue Dragon
    Breath Weapon: Lightning
    Damage Resistance: Lightning

Equipment:
    Backpack, Bedroll, Chain Mail, Common Cloths, Light Crossbow (w/bolts), Emblem of a lightning bolt on a hammer, Mess Kit, 1 day rations, 50 feet hempen rope, Shield, Tinderbox, Torch, Vestments, Warhammer, Waterskin, prayer book of the church of Thor, 5 sticks of incense

Sped: 30
    HP: 22 (9 for first level + 13 for Chain Mail)

Warhammer: 1d8+3 OR 1d10+3 (versatile weapon)
    Crossbow: 1d8
    Breath Weapon: 2d6 Lightning

Spells:
    Cantrips:
    Light
    Mending
    Toll the Dead (1d8 OR 1d12 if they are missing HP)

1st Level:
    Bless
    Cure wounds (Add 1d8+2)
    Fog Cloud
    Inflict Wounds (3d10)
    Thunderwave (2d8)

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Part of me really wants to join this with a Gnome Machinist or Articifer, but I honestly haven't played any D&D in about fifteen years (just recently been watching a lot of Critical Role and V:TM RPGs) and I don't want to hold the story and group back. I'd be willing to put in the learning and work, but would my pretty substantial inexperience gap be more trouble than it's worth? Asking honestly- will happily cheer this one on from the sidelines if that's the case

DO ITTTTT!
    do it

Get in here and duke it out, or given its an artificer, shoot it out

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Lialeth, goliath fighter and former soldier, is ready to enter the fray. Surely whatever horrors may lurk inside the temple are preferable to the horrors of war.

Ugullik’s Skipping Stone:
    The skipping stone is what got me into adventuring in the first place. I found it where I found everything else back then. In the trash. Even I threw it to the side when I first found it, and that's when I saw what it could do. Sure I'd cut my scavenging for the day short as the rock went the full 100 feet before colliding with that inn's wall, but I'd found myself quite the treasure. Managed to get the thing back and teleport away before anyone realized how that crack in the wall had gotten there. This little skipping stone has got me through a few scrapes along the way since then to this temple. Where do you think a street urchin came by such an extravagant rapier? The man threatening me with it never stood a chance.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Oh hey totally in this, are we using the following stats flat or using class/race modifiers?

VayBJ4e.png
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    I'm excited to immediately get squished by a trap. Gonna hack togeather a Kobold *something* probably when I get a spare sec. I haven't actually played 5e but I've rolled enough d20s and added numbers to them that I should be fine.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm not playing in this, but i AM going to be sitting and laughing at you all dying horribly, and trying to covnince Endless to make things worsebetter because i'm a wonderful person like that.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Mercenary Veteran, Ashala Mohsen stands over the black cliff, eying the great hulking pyramid in the distance. She would find no reinforcements of her war monastery here. Her green scales contrast her against the bleak landscape. Those of her order who came before did not return. She gripped her spear and exhaled a deep breath. She would make her breakthrough in martial arts here, or be devoured like the others.

Ashala Mohsen, lizardfolk monk has arrived.
    Stats
    str base 14. =+2 mod
    dex base 15. =+2 Mod
    con base 12 (+2)= 14.= +2 mod
    int base 10 .=+0 mod
    wis base 13 (+1) =14. = +2 mod
    cha Base 8. =-1 mod

Profiencies
    Acrobatics +4
    Animal Handling +2
    Arcana 0
    Athletics +4
    Deception -1
    History 0
    Insight +4
    Intimidation -1
    Investigation 0
    Medicine +2
    Nature 0
    Perception +4
    Performance -1
    Persuasion +1
    Religion 0
    Sleight of Hand +2
    Stealth +2
    Survival +4

Languages
    Common, Draconic

Tool Proficiencies
    Leatherworker's Tools, Land Vehicles, Dragonchess Set
    Weapon Proficiencies
    simple, Shortsword

Class,background, Race Features
    Bonus Actions
    Martial Arts-Make an extra unarmed strike when you take Attack action.
    Features, Traits, and Feats

Attacks
    Martial Arts.Unarmed strike or monk weapon, melee, 1d4+2 damage

Bite-Your fanged maw is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + 2 (your Strength modifier), instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

Cunning Artisan-As part of a short rest, you can harvest bone and hide from a slain beast, construct, dragon, monstrosity, or plant creature of size Small or larger to create one of the following items: a shield, a club, a javelin, or ld4 darts or blowgun needles. To use this trait, you need a blade, such as a dagger, or appropriate artisan's tools, such as leatherworker's tools.

Hold Breath-You can hold your breath for 15 minutes.

Hungry Jaws-In battle, you can throw yourself into a vicious feeding frenzy. As a bonus action, you can make a special attack with your bite. If the attack hits, it deals its normal damage, and you gain temporary hit points (minimum of 1) equal to your Constitution modifier, and you can't use this trait again until you finish a short or long rest.

Hunter's Lore-proficiency with two of the following skills of your choice: Perception and Survival.

Mercenary Life-You know the mercenary life as only someone who has experienced it can. You are able to identify mercenary companies by their emblems, and you know a little about any such company, including the names and reputations of its commanders and leaders, and who has hired them recently. You can find the taverns and festhalls where mercenaries abide in any area, as long as you speak the language. You can find mercenary work between adventures sufficient to maintain a comfortable lifestyle .

Equipment

Spear
    melee, 1d6+2 damage
    Thrown Range:20/60 ft.
    Versatile:1d8+2 damage

Bite, 1d6+2 damage

Dart
    ranged, 1d4+2 damage

Other Equipment
    Pouch 1
    Waterskin 1
    Bedroll 1
    Rations (1 day) 10
    Rope, hempen 1
    Tinderbox 1
    Clothes, traveler’s 1
    Mess kit 1
    Dragonchess Set 1
    Backpack 1
    Torch 10
    Mercenary Emblem 1
    Treasure
    Gold Pieces (GP) 10

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    edited August 2020
    We're quiet the unlikeable bunch eh

Sleep on
    I am INCREDIBLY likeable

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I'm in, character later, probs a warlock, have not D&D'd since...pathfinder.

HP 10 for lizardman monk
    Gonna have to make use of those darts

VayBJ4e.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    HP 10 for lizardman monk
    Gonna have to make use of those darts

I'm enjoying the mental optimization challenge of this. I honestly think some sort of heavy armor cleric is probably the safest bet - you can pick up a decent set of skills, Wis is always good, you get heavy armor to keep you safe... and you get cantrips. A ranged cantrip seems incredibly useful in general in this, given it cant miss.

If you wanna get real optimziy, Nature Cleric seems really solid as a choice, as you can take Shielgah To let you beat shit up effectively using a staff (d8+wis mod in melee, while wearing heavy armor, and having a free hand to boot).

Annnnnd this is part of why i\m not palying, because i'd tie myself in knots way too easily

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I will think on a build for this tonight!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Yeah I've immediately seen some optimizations I hadn't thought of. I was trying to balance dungeon delving skill utility and combat capability/survivability in my build. Also I'm trying to balance this against a few things so fighter is mega straightforward with a number of turns that are "I poke it with my rapier geth roll 1d8+5 for damage"

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    See, I started out trying to 'beat the system' with some sort of optimisation, then realised I'd have way more fun embracing my inevitable demise by playing some sort of empowered mook.

I spent a good long dog walk trying to come up with ideas, and once I dropped from "3 Goblins in a trenchcoat" to "1 Goblin in a goatskin" to "Just an actual goat" and started cackling out loud I knew I had my winner.
    Bringing Goat Simulator into your Battle Royale since 2020

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited August 2020
    Satra Wallgorf, A Just-Slightly-Deranged Rock Gnome Artificer Gunsmith

Appearance:
    You would immediately see dark Purple Hair, with shocks of white and some grey sprouting out from the bangs, around the temples, and some just below the neck. The eyes are catlike and intelligent, but constantly darting and unable to find rest. Young for a Gnome wandering on her own (early 60s), but looks prematurely aged due to the fact that she is in a constantly frazzled and on-edge state. Paranoid. Hands and feet are in an almost constant state of fidgeting when not wielding tools or books. Wears a typical nondescript outfit of simple boiled leather, gloves, steampunk goggles, the works

Bio:
    Satra was a brilliant, *genius* Gnome engineer from a young age, but although a unique and strong visionary, her frequently dangerous experiments and consistent lack of empathy branded her as a danger to her community by all who interacted with her. She would leave peacefully when made to, and continued her experiments quietly in exile, waiting for the day her genius would be appreciated. An unbidden future vision of the Temple, and the implications of the automations she could scrape from the walls therin, caused her to be energerized with a new and zealot-like purpose. Satra would soon show them. She would show them *all*

Stats:
    STR. 12 DEX. 14 CON. 15 (+1 mod) INT. 15 (+2 mod) WIS. 7 CHA. 9

Saves: CON. and INT.

Proficiencies:
    Light and Medium Armors
    Simple Weapons

Skills:
    Arcana
    Deception
    Medicine

Tool Proficiency:
    Thieve's Tools
    Smith Tools
    Tinker's Tools

Features:
    Low-light vision
    Languages, Common, Gnomish
    Gnome Cunning (INT. WIS. CHA. Saving throws vs. Magic)
    Magical Tinkering
    Spellcasting

Equipment: Satra's Journal (containing a running history, observations, maps, scientific notes), Scale Mail, a simple dagger, a small coin purse containing 5gp, a light hammer, a light crossbow with 20 bolts, "Problem Solver" (Satra's Thunder Cannon), an Arcane Magazine (contains powder, lead shot, cleaning and maintenance tools for the pistol), simple shield, Dungeoneer's Pack (Includes a backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it)

Speed: 25

HP: 20 (8+ 2 constitution mod. +10 scale mail)

"Problem Solver", Ranged, 2D6 piercing
    Light Crossbow, Ranged 1D8 piercing
    Light Hammer, 1D4+2
    Light Dagger, 1D4+2

Spells:
    Cantrips:
    Dancing Lights
    Fire Bolt

Level One:
    Detect Magic
    Identify Object
    ?

Alright, this took some significant reading throughout today, but I hope this character works. My one remaining question I couldn't find a good answer to was how level One spells work- as I understand it, Artificer's "have access to all level One spells like a cleric would, but has to have them prepared like a cleric would". Is this accurate, and if so, what does that mean and how does it work? I just research X number of spells during a rest I will have access to for the next section?

mrpaku on
    Yes after a long rest you look at the artificers spell list and choose a number of artificer spells equal to your Int mod + half your artificer level, rounded down (minimum of one spell). That's your prepared spells for the day you can use your spell slots to cast any of those spells for the day.

edited August 2020
    Thraxxagar, you are welcomed to the temple!

Which one of these do you own?

97. Belladonna’s Flame. Held in an enchanted brass lamp, this purple flame produces dim light out to 20 feet. If the lamp is opened the flame will reanimate the nearest corpse for 5 minutes. Once released the flame dies.

77. Kiss and Tell. A pair of silver knuckle dusters. While wearing these knuckle dusters your unarmed damage becomes radiant damage. If one is separated more than 30 feet from the other, it returns at 30 feet of flying speed.

45. Black Elephant Figurine. Perhaps once part of a chess set, it has since been enchanted to subtly move its trunk. When you place the figurine on a flat surface, it begins to lightly rain above it out to 15 feet for 5 minutes. Afterwards it goes dormant for 1 hour.

O’ Lialeth, the temple welcomes you!

I’m sure it was necessary, but regrettable, how you came to own one of these items...

72. Lesser Spotted Mandrake. Harmless while dormant, as a bonus action, you can shake or throw the mandrake to awaken it. Once awake the mandrake will harass the nearest creature, and produces a high pitched shriek out to 200 feet, which has been known to deafen victims.

85. Caspima’s Net. A net woven from still living seaweed, blessed by a druid. Anything caught in this net has all spells, be they good or ill, dispelled from them. [martial ranged weapon, thrown (5/15), magic]

20. Thieving Gloves. These light brown velvet arm length gloves have a will of their own. While wearing these gloves you have proficiency in the Sleight of Hand and Stealth skills, but must make a 15 DC saving throw whenever you see an object made from a precious metal or gemstone, or be forced to move 30 feet towards it on your next turn.

Welcome to the temple of Yonth, Ashala!

Why did a certain someone gift you this singular present?

84. Little Nightmare. This iron ring with a horse shaped inset is possessed by a dark spirit. As an action, you can turn the ring around your finger to summon a tiny sized nightmare. The nightmare follows your commands to the best of its ability, but is without a doubt evil in its intent.

2. Goo Wand. A battered elm wand, 7 inches, with a manticore barb core. As a bonus action, you can flick this wand to create a 5 foot cube of inanimate goo out to 30 feet. The goo is sticky, but pops under any significant pressure. [4 charges, recharged 1d4 on a short rest]

92. Bubble Pipe. A fine willow pipe with a crack down it. As a bonus action, you can blow down this pipe to produce a cone of bubbles out to 15 feet. The bubbles are harmless, popping against any surface and affected by wind. [6 charges, recharges 1d6 on a short rest]

Satra, you have been welcomed.

How will you prove you deserve that which you took by force?

1. Spider Eye. You have a glass eyeball of alchemical design. As an action, you can remove your glass eye and click a button on the back. Legs unfurl from the eyeball like a spider. You can instruct your eyeball to wait and watch, or return to you. Once returned to you, you gain the memories of what it has seen.

78. Crimson Dagger. This dagger is fabulously extravagant, with a gold handle and steel blade dyed red. However, it is in fact a stage dagger, and the blade enters the handle if used to stab something.

70. Angel’s Tear. A genuine angel’s tear kept in a mason jar. Properties unknown.

Geth roll 12d100

@Vigil_Leads_You Plunk those numbers down, then add your racial modifiers on top.

Did I miss anyone?

12d100 723 [12d100=97, 77, 45, 72, 85, 20, 84, 2, 92, 1, 78, 70]

Endless_Serpents on
    Thraxxagar, you are welcomed to the temple!

Which one of these do you own?

97. Belladonna’s Flame. Held in an enchanted brass lamp, this purple flame produces dim light out to 20 feet. If the lamp is opened the flame will reanimate the nearest corpse for 5 minutes. Once released the flame dies.

77. Kiss and Tell. A pair of silver knuckle dusters. While wearing these knuckle dusters your unarmed damage becomes radiant damage. If one is separated more than 30 feet from the other, it returns at 30 feet of flying speed.

45. Black Elephant Figurine. Perhaps once part of a chess set, it has since been enchanted to subtly move its trunk. When you place the figurine on a flat surface, it begins to lightly rain above it out to 15 feet for 5 minutes. Afterwards it goes dormant for 1 hour.

O’ Lialeth, the temple welcomes you!

I’m sure it was necessary, but regrettable, how you came to own one of these items...

85. Caspima’s Net. A net woven from still living seaweed, blessed by a druid. Anything caught in this net has all spells, be they good or ill, dispelled from them. [martial ranged weapon, thrown (5/15), magic]

20. Thieving Gloves. These light brown velvet arm length gloves have a will of their own. While wearing these gloves you have proficiency in the Sleight of Hand and Stealth skills, but must make a 15 DC saving throw whenever you see an object made from a precious metal or gemstone, or be forced to move 30 feet towards it on your next turn.

Welcome to the temple of Yonth, Ashala!

Geth roll 12d100

@Vigil_Leads_You Plunk those numbers down, then add your racial modifiers on top.

Did I miss anyone?

Totally, and I got those stats in there

VayBJ4e.png
    Why did a certain someone gift you this singular present?

84. Little Nightmare. This iron ring with a horse shaped inset is possessed by a dark spirit. As an action, you can turn the ring around your finger to summon a tiny sized nightmare. The nightmare follows your commands to the best of its ability, but is without a doubt evil in its intent.

A teacher of my order, collects such evil spirits, and distributes them as guidance in our martial path. A touch of madness to inspire a breakthrough in the spear. I have accustomed to training in my sleep with the nightmare. I still awake with tears, and a feeling of seeking vengeance and martial dominance against it.

VayBJ4e.png

How will you prove you deserve that which you took by force?

1. Spider Eye. You have a glass eyeball of alchemical design. As an action, you can remove your glass eye and click a button on the back. Legs unfurl from the eyeball like a spider. You can instruct your eyeball to wait and watch, or return to you. Once returned to you, you gain the memories of what it has seen.

78. Crimson Dagger. This dagger is fabulously extravagant, with a gold handle and steel blade dyed red. However, it is in fact a stage dagger, and the blade enters the handle if used to stab something.

70. Angel’s Tear. A genuine angel’s tear kept in a mason jar. Properties unknown

Not gonna lie, Spider-Eye is some *definite* [Distracted Boyfriend Meme] Energy gameplay wise-...but, Satra discovered that Angel's Tear , through some shady experiments, year's ago, and it's part of why she's *pretty* sure she's got this all figured out now, so...

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Sure, I'll try this out. Character in a bit.

What sourcebooks are we allowed to use? I'm just kindof assuming no 3rd-party stuff, but I do have a thoroughly stuff folder full of fun races like Giff and such just awaiting your ruling, LOL.

So be it.

I’m okay with anything reasonable. You’re not going very high level, so I’m happy so long as what you’re after doesn’t break the low level math. You can be a British mercantile hippopotamus if you really wish to.

Given the number of folks now involved we could easily start in a day’s time. I’ll call it after the next one or two sign ups.

To clarify, there’s no set time to post, and while this is a race we can easily make up lost time if you’re busy some days.

This thread will become the in-character thread for everyone once we’re ready.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G02wKufX3nw

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular

Lialeth always felt a tinge of regret when he held Caspima's Net. He remembered the feeling of relief as it extinguished the flames that left his body so badly scarred. He remembered the young druid that taught him how to use it, and the pain of loss when the war finally found its way to the druid's cottage. Now Lialeth carries the net and the memory of the druid's kindness, both powerful reminders of his time at war, and why he strikes out in search of new evils to fight.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Very well, then. In honor of my pet hedgehog, I present to you:

1071oeru8dp9.png
    Magnus of House Mulligan, Paladin
    "Us small folk must stand together, or else fall apart."

The race is Quillen, from Old Gus' Errata: Beastfolk, one of my favorite homebrewers. Let me know if it's a problem. I have a notoriously bad sense for numbers and balance, but Old Gus' stuff seems to be pretty well-designed and respected in the community.

BIO
    Until recently, young Magnus tended a quaint chapel in a small town full of simple folk. He served as its groundskeeper and a general assistant to the vicar, an aging Tortle named Phineas. But a fortnight ago, Magnus arrived to the chapel one morning to find it utterly destroyed, signs of incredible carnage everywhere. The vicar was nowhere to be found. On the shattered steps near what was once the chapel's door, he found a map. Terrified but filled with a sense of duty and purpose, he gathered his things and followed the map to this dark temple. Remembering the lessons taught by old Phineas and his own sainted mother, he now knows that this is a place of deep, unholy power, and that it is his duty to cast down that power before it can be used to harm those who lack the power to defend themselves. He quivers, not with fear for what may happen to himself, but in a deep and fervent hope that he will not need to harm anyone he finds here.

RACE, CLASS, BACKGROUND
    QUILLEN

Ability Scores. Your Wisdom score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.

Size. Quillen stand between 3½ and 4½ feet tall and average about 60 pounds. Your size is Small.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.

Languages. You can speak, read and write Common and Quillen.

Poor Eyesight. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is not in bright light or direct sunlight.

Keen Smell and Hearing. You have advantage on checks you make with the Wisdom (Perception) skill that rely on smell or hearing.

Wilderness Living. You are proficient with the Survival skill.

Quills. Portions of your body are covered in hard, sharp quills. When a creature you can see hits you with a melee attack that lacks the reach property or attempts to grapple you, you can use your reaction to deal piercing damage to your attacker equal to your proficiency bonus. You can poison your spines as if they were a weapon.

Natural Affinity. You know the druidcraft cantrip. You can cast the speak with animals spell once with this trait, and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the cordon of arrows spell once with this trait, and regain the ability to do so again when you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

PALADIN

Divine Sense. As in PHB.

Lay On Hands. As in PHB.

ACOLYTE

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Religion
    Languages: Two of your choice
    Equipment: A holy symbol (a gift to you when you
    entered the priesthood), a prayer book or prayer
    wheel, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common
    clothes, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp

STATS
    Strength: 14 (+2)
    Dexterity: 16 (+3)
    Constitution: 12 (+1)
    Intelligence: 8 (-1)
    Wisdom: 12 (+1)
    Charisma: 13 (+1)

PROFICIENCIES
    All armor, shields, simple weapons, martial weapons
    Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
    Skills: Athletics, Insight, Medicine, Religion, Survival
    Languages: Common, Quillen, Gnome, Halfling

SPELLS
    0th: druidcraft
    1st: speak with animals (once/long rest)

EQUIPMENT
    Scimitar (1d6 slashing, finesse, light)
    Shield
    5 javelins
    A priest's pack
    Chain mail
    a holy symbol (a tiny pendant in the shape of a spiked shield)
    a prayer book
    5 sticks of incense
    vestments
    15 gp

Starting HP should be 10 (Paladin) + 1 (CON) + 13 (chain-mail) = 24, yeah? Did I do all that right?

edited August 2020
    Aye, that’ll do nicely.

Welcome Magnus, the temple awaits you.

Who wants this item from you?

62. Transient Orbs. Orbs of sheer yellow crystal, perfectly smooth. As an action, you can roll an orb out to 30 feet. The orb vanishes when it comes to a stop, but leaves a perceptible arcane presence behind. When you roll the other orb away at the time of your choosing, it creates a 10 foot by 10 foot portal connected to the point the first orb vanished.

75. Gudstaff’s Robes. These layered robes are covered in gawdy stars and crescent moon patterns, and are larger than you’d like. The sleeves of these robes act as a Bag of Holding. While wearing these robes you reduce any Acrobatics and Athletics check you make by 10.

82. Grossenlord’s Fat. A chunk of purple, wobbly blubber. Eating this blubber fully restores your HP, and may have adverse side effects. [1 use]

Geth roll 3d100

3d100 219 [3d100=62, 75, 82]

Endless_Serpents on
    Those transient orbs are something I stole out of old Phineas's cabinet as a child, because I thought they were pretty. I kept them in my secret stash (you know, the sort all children have at one point or another) and eventually forgot about them. By the time I was grown, and rediscovered them by mistake, I was too ashamed to admit to Phineas what had happened. I'm bringing them with me in hopes that I can return them to the vicar (he occasionally mentioned them in passing), or at least use them to rescue him if he was brought here.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    THE GRUNGLE

8JLqswL.jpg?1

BIO
    You're a mean one, Mr. Grungle
    You really are a heel
    You're as cuddly as a cactus, you're as charming as an eel, Mr. Grungle
    You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel!

You're a monster, Mr. Grungle
    Your heart's an empty hole
    Your brain is full of spiders, you've got garlic in your soul, Mr. Grungle
    I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!

You're a vile one, Mr. Grungle
    You have termites in your smile
    You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile, Mr. Grungle
    Given a choice between the two of you I'd take the seasick crocodile!

You're a foul one, Mr. Grungle
    You're a nasty-wasty skunk
    Your heart is full of unwashed socks, your soul is full of gunk, Mr. Grungle
    The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote
    "Stink, stank, stunk!"

You're a rotter, Mr. Grungle
    You're the king of sinful sots
    Your heart's a dead tomato splotched with moldy purple spots, Mr. Grungle
    Your soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful
    Assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knots!

STATS
    The Grungle
    ‘Outlander’ Bugbear Rogue 1
    Male Medium humanoid (goblinoid), Chaotic Evil
    AC: N/A (leather armor); HP: 14 (1d8+1); Speed: 30 ft.; Saving Throws: Dexterity +5 & Intelligence +4
    Str 12 (+1), Dex 16 (+3), Con 13 (+1), Int 14 (+2), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills (+2): Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception*, Investigation, Perception, Stealth*, & Survival
    Feats: --
    Tool Proficiencies (+2): Musical Instrument (Banjo) & Thieves’ Tools
    Armor/Weapon Proficiencies: Light armor; Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, & shortswords
    Senses: passive Perception 11; darkvision (60 ft.)
    Languages: Common, Dwarven, Goblin, & Thieves’ Cant
    ---
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Darkvision (60 ft.), Long-Limbed, Powerful Build, Sneaky, & Surprise Attack
    Background Abilities: Wanderer
    Class Abilities: Expertise (Deception & Stealth), Sneak Attack (1d6), & Thieves’ Cant
    ---
    Actions
    -- Dagger. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., range 20/60 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60)
    -- Rapier. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 7 (1d8+3) piercing damage; finesse
    -- Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) piercing damage; ammunition (range 80/320), two-handed
    ---
    Equipment: A belt pouch (containing: 10 gp), a burglar’s pack (a backpack containing: a bag of 1,000 ball bearings, 10 feet of string, a bell, 5 candles, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, a hooded lantern, 2 flasks of oil, 5 days rations, a tinderbox, and a waterskin. The backpack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.), 2 daggers, a hunting trap, leather armor, a rapier, a shortbow (with 20 arrow quivered), thieves’ tools, a set of traveler's clothes, a trophy from an animal you killed

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    @Endless_Serpents

I have

I found it locked deep in a forgotten cave in the first adventure I ever had. This little lamp has helped me light the way in many dire situations.

edited August 2020
    Welcome, Mr. Grungle, for the temple is grand
    Welcome, Mr. Grungle, the time is at hand
    Welcome, Mr. Grungle, to join this gallant band...

Geth roll 1d100

1d100 67 [1d100=67]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited August 2020
    Ahem.

What terrible thing did you do, nasty old Grungle you?

Phoenix’s Other Egg. A palm sized, ivory white egg that is surprisingly weighty. The egg cannot be born, and so can never die. Its use is a mystery.

Penance Crown. A crown made to appear like a wreath of thorns, it is in fact cushioned inside. While wearing this crown your alignment is hidden from divination magic, and insight checks against you are reduced by 5.

Malikino’s Acid Keys. These alchemical keys are a masterpiece of engineering. Each fits into any lock, and when turned releases a potent acid that melts the inner workings of the door, opening it permanently. [3 uses]

Geth roll 2d100

2d100 86 [2d100=27, 59]

Endless_Serpents on