As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a garden hose box recommendation that isn't a flimsy plastic piece of trash?

Also, just mowed with the greenworks pro 80v for the first time and I would definitely recommend it.

We went with a Hoselink wall-mount retracting reel, it was expensive but it's built like a brick shithouse.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to scrounge up an old cast iron firehouse firehose wheel. They are rare though and cost like $200 depending on condition.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I spent today cleaning out my garage to prep for the floor getting sealed, and my everything currently hurts. Also, turns out porcelain tiles are really fucking heavy. Who knew?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Anyone have a garden hose box recommendation that isn't a flimsy plastic piece of trash?

Also, just mowed with the greenworks pro 80v for the first time and I would definitely recommend it.

We went with a Hoselink wall-mount retracting reel, it was expensive but it's built like a brick shithouse.

Shit talk about being careful for what I ask for. That looks seriously cool and now I want one.
    I spent today cleaning out my garage to prep for the floor getting sealed, and my everything currently hurts. Also, turns out porcelain tiles are really fucking heavy. Who knew?

What kind of sealant are you doing? My garage is almost finished - just needs paint on the drywall and a patch here and there - and I'm interested in doing an epoxy coat on the floor or something.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited August 2020

What kind of sealant are you doing? My garage is almost finished - just needs paint on the drywall and a patch here and there - and I'm interested in doing an epoxy coat on the floor or something.

We're having an epoxy coat professionally installed - they're going to stabilize all the cracks and such.

AngelHedgie on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    To file under "things I never had to worry about in an apartment," I finally went and cleaned up the flower bed in my back yard a bit. I say "flower," but it actually contains a gigantic viney shrub thing that has firmly worked its way into my fence and was making inroads into the shed. I trimmed it up a bit (actually did a bit of a hack job but oh well, at least it doesn't look like it can conceal a bear anymore), and decided to clean some of the leaves out of the bed. I say some because I shamefully(I don't go out in the yard much) never raked the back yard since I moved in last August, so there was a blanket of magnolia and willow leaves over everything.

In the process of raking the leaves out, I appear to have removed quite a bit of mulch. On inspection it appears to be red rubber much, and I've read that rubber is kind of not good for the environment, so I'm considering replacing it with actual wood mulch. Which leaves me wondering how to fit 20+ bags of mulch into an Altima.

Related: I am also now looking at buying a leaf blower/vac because fuck trying to keep up with two willow trees with a rake.

5gsowHm.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Raking is for scrubs. Set lawn mower to mulch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I don’t own a lawnmower. :\

5gsowHm.png

The thing to remember is that for a lot of mowers, converting to mulching requires fitting a special blade designed for mulching.

The thing to remember is that for a lot of mowers, converting to mulching requires fitting a special blade designed for mulching.

Run over it twice!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, we have random nails that stick out in places in the house (floors). A few in the living room (hardwood). A few on the attic steps.

Doing research, it seems I would use a nail set to hammer them down all the way? Anyone have recommendations on nail sets? Or if there is any other method for pushing nails in, I am all ears.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    nail set is the way to do it afaik

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I don't know how you'd do it other than a nail set. And they're incredibly straight-forward tools - it's a hunk of metal that's narrow at one end. Hard to go wrong with picking one to buy.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Anybody have an experience with in-ground pools? We just decided that, since we're likely not going anywhere for a few years, it's probably a good time to put in a pool. We've gotten some quotes that are pretty reasonable for an in-ground polymer pool. We're not putting in anything massive - likely 12x24 or something a touch bigger. Likely going with a salt water, heated system (I live in Canada and would like to swim for more than 2 weeks in the year).

What aren't we thinking of in terms of costs? Landscaping is the biggest unknown I can think of right now.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Anybody have an experience with in-ground pools? We just decided that, since we're likely not going anywhere for a few years, it's probably a good time to put in a pool. We've gotten some quotes that are pretty reasonable for an in-ground polymer pool. We're not putting in anything massive - likely 12x24 or something a touch bigger. Likely going with a salt water, heated system (I live in Canada and would like to swim for more than 2 weeks in the year).

What aren't we thinking of in terms of costs? Landscaping is the biggest unknown I can think of right now.

Like Kamiro said, check your home insurance to see if they'll cover a pool. Also do research into what happens during the winter and the ground freezing. There might be unique things that need to happen that could drive up the cost of the pool.

Kamiro wrote: »
    I imagine your home insurance would go up a bunch

Already looked into that as it was a concern. We're looking at about $40-$50 more per year so, thankfully, nothing too disruptive.

Just as an FYI don't expect the salt water pool to necessarily be better than chlorine, they will both smell and taste like chlorine. Overall they're higher upkeep and cost more than shock/chlorine tablets.

In a lot of counties in the US you'll also need a fence as required by code so expect to add another chunk to the cost.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    That said, they tend to be less harsh on your skin and all that because the chlorine is lower since you're do more maintenance on it. Those salt cells are $$$ in some areas though (tack on another like ~$30 a month in electrical costs too).

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Mine feels like a flimsy plastic piece of trash, but I think it's because it's on an uneven hill, and would probably feel better on a flat surface.

My dad used to have one like this:

beige-hampton-bay-hose-reels-storage-691-31_1000.jpg

It always seamed pretty sturdy.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Just as an FYI don't expect the salt water pool to necessarily be better than chlorine, they will both smell and taste like chlorine. Overall they're higher upkeep and cost more than shock/chlorine tablets.

In a lot of counties in the US you'll also need a fence as required by code so expect to add another chunk to the cost.

Hard disagree. My current saltwater pool is worlds better than my prior house's chlorinated pool. Stays cleaner (much less algae), the water feels...slipperier(?) and is better for your skin, and it does not smell chlorinated at all. If you're putting in a new pool 10000% go salt if you can afford the increased equipment costs. Much lower maintenance (IMO) and less chemically (my GF likes that it doesnt' screw up her hair as much as a regular chlorinated pool).

96058.png?1619393207
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    A japanese nail set will be the most aesthetically pleasing, but it is a piece of metal you put between a hammer and a nail so it isn't really any more effective...https://www.woodcraft.com/products/nail-set-hammered?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0du0oIuR6wIVB77ACh32hwyyEAQYASABEgKEZvD_BwE

Bullhead wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Hard disagree. My current saltwater pool is worlds better than my prior house's chlorinated pool. Stays cleaner (much less algae), the water feels...slipperier(?) and is better for your skin, and it does not smell chlorinated at all. If you're putting in a new pool 10000% go salt if you can afford the increased equipment costs. Much lower maintenance (IMO) and less chemically (my GF likes that it doesnt' screw up her hair as much as a regular chlorinated pool).

This is a bit more in line with what my research, and a couple of friends with salt water pools, told me.
    Fence is definitely a concern. We already have one that was built to the 5 foot standard for pool bylaws but in the 10 years since the house was built it's sunk about an inch in a few places so I'm worried about the permit. We'll see!

Either way, it's not going in until next June so lots of time to plan. Appreciate the insights!

yeah my second posts hits about how it's less chloriney and will be better on the skin, but it's still going to smell and taste like chlorine if that's the only reason you're going with it.

Nope. My main reason for going for salt is for the harshness on skin and the lower maintenance costs long term.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Mine feels like a flimsy plastic piece of trash, but I think it's because it's on an uneven hill, and would probably feel better on a flat surface.

My dad used to have one like this:

beige-hampton-bay-hose-reels-storage-691-31_1000.jpg

It always seamed pretty sturdy.

I thought about something like that, but decided I really didn't want to drill a hole into my house. I'm sure it probably would've been fine, but it just wasn't something I was particularly comfortable with doing, especially when there was an option that was basically just as good where I didn't have to do that.

Stabbity_Style.png

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago and have been pretty happy with it.
    Anybody have an experience with in-ground pools?

I don't have direct experience, but my best friend used to have a house with a pool. His advice-- do not own pool, have a friend that owns a pool instead.

5gsowHm.png
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Great, thanks. I got something similar from home depot but it's cheapo plastic.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

I don't have direct experience, but my best friend used to have a house with a pool. His advice-- do not own pool, have a friend that owns a pool instead.

We had an in-ground pool when I was a kid in New York. I remember when we went house shopping in Vermont I was upset we were looking at properties that didn't have pools. My parents would never tell me then, but later in life I knew why.

Same with boats. We're super excited because my wife's sister and brother in law are looking at getting a boat later this year when they are the most heavily discounted. Having friends with a boat is the best!

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I would love a boat but I don't know even the first thing about boating. No friends with boats either :(

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular

Or find yourself a place with a nice pond instead. Still not maintenance free, but much easier and cheaper than a pool. Plus, frogs and wildlife! I love my pond.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »

Or find yourself a place with a nice pond instead. Still not maintenance free, but much easier and cheaper than a pool. Plus, frogs and wildlife! I love my pond.

I've seen people on the interwebs build self-maintaining "pool"s with like plants and stuff to filter the water. I'd love one of those but definitely would not want to try to build one myself.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian

There is a very thin line between "ooh a pond!" and "ew a pond."

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

There is a very thin line between "ooh a pond!" and "ew a pond."

Standing water is a breeding ground for all sorts of awful stuff. Like mosquitos.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Join team river but only after it rains. It is the optimal home water feature.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    When my friend bought his (first) boat someone said ”a boatowner have two happy days, the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it”.

Lind on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    When my friend bought his (first) boat someone said ”a boatowner have two happy days, the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it”.

The general quote about boats is that they are " a hole in the ocean you pour money into"

:so_raven:
    edited August 2020
    Join team river but only after it rains. It is the optimal home water feature.

Honestly, I'd be pretty down for some sort of small stream water feature that recycles itself. Big enough to get a proper water flow sound and enjoy the stream visual aesthetic and dip your feet into when it's hot. That'd be like, 10-20 years out tho.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

You’ll want to look into a durable cover for the off season + summer storms.

Also, figure out what kind of decking you want around it (you want something that grips when wet even if you’re not running).

As the kid that had to brush, balance chemicals, backwash, and skim the pool after large storms. I can say having your own pool is great but definitely comes with diminishing returns as the years wear on.

Corvus wrote: »
    Lind wrote: »

The general quote about boats is that they are " a hole in the ocean you pour money into"

House (n): A hole in the ground you pour money into.

Boat (n): A hole in the water you pour money into.

Plane (n): A hole in the sky you pour money into.

This discussion has been closed.