As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Join team river but only after it rains. It is the optimal home water feature.

Honestly, I'd be pretty down for some sort of small stream water feature that recycles itself. Big enough to get a proper water flow sound and enjoy the stream visual aesthetic and dip your feet into when it's hot. That'd be like, 10-20 years out tho.

Set it to as an irrigation system and then you can also grow things. There's some really cool rain gardens that I've seen that do this.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I was in my late 20s when I realized ponds were, like, "on purpose."

Just thought they were mostly, you know, there. The idea of digging one and filling it with water seemed outlandish!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Lind wrote: »
    When my friend bought his (first) boat someone said ”a boatowner have two happy days, the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it”.

The general quote about boats is that they are " a hole in the ocean you pour money into"

House (n): A hole in the ground you pour money into.

Boat (n): A hole in the water you pour money into.

Plane (n): A hole in the sky you pour money into.

You'd be surprised at just how cheap planes can be compared to the other two. But yeah they're still pretty bad if you're not ready to drop at least $5k a year, just to keep it air worthy. My dad's boat was about 3 times as expensive as my friend's piper cub.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Anybody have an experience with in-ground pools?

I don't have direct experience, but my best friend used to have a house with a pool. His advice-- do not own pool, have a friend that owns a pool instead.

We had an in-ground pool when I was a kid in New York. I remember when we went house shopping in Vermont I was upset we were looking at properties that didn't have pools. My parents would never tell me then, but later in life I knew why.

I do remember reading some articles though too about how a pool won't necessarily increase property value, or depending on location, lower it. It certainly lowers the pool of potential buyers. So as long as the OP considers it a [fun] liability, like a boat, rather than an investment.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, not much interest in having a pool myself. Back in those lovely precovid days, all the rec centers around here more than did the trick - some really great public pools around.

Definitely want to install a hot tub though. Thing is it's going to be a cascading series of large checks.

I have stamped concrete in the back yard that would work, but it would need to be mud/foam jacked up to level. But I also have egress windows that need to have their wells replaced. That's going to mean ripping up a big portion of the concrete to allow excavation around the wells, which will be substantial since I want the other three wells to match the forth, a wonderful keystone design.

Just gonna take time and money I guess.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    About the only pool id want on my property would be one of those infinity swim pools, that generate a current to swim against.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Just invest in a super large bathtub instead. Even including a potential bathroom remodel to fit one will still probably be cheaper in the end.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Anybody have an experience with in-ground pools?

I don't have direct experience, but my best friend used to have a house with a pool. His advice-- do not own pool, have a friend that owns a pool instead.

We had an in-ground pool when I was a kid in New York. I remember when we went house shopping in Vermont I was upset we were looking at properties that didn't have pools. My parents would never tell me then, but later in life I knew why.

I do remember reading some articles though too about how a pool won't necessarily increase property value, or depending on location, lower it. It certainly lowers the pool of potential buyers. So as long as the OP considers it a [fun] liability, like a boat, rather than an investment.

Yeah I definitely don't see it as an investment, it's just something I want. Public pools are a no-go for me as I'm a massive germaphobe and I don't even hold a candle to my partner in that department, who is far worse.

Most of the houses on my street have pools and I could certainly go to their pools but they are always filled with kids. We just want to establish our own little oasis on our property - nothing much beyond that. We're only talking a 12'/24' pool too, nothing olympic sized or anything like that.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Ugh, got an offer on our place, under asking. We countered at the same price as a house down the street that just sold, even though we think we're better, and they walked away.

It's only been a week...

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Just invest in a super large bathtub instead. Even including a potential bathroom remodel to fit one will still probably be cheaper in the end.

I'm eventually doing a bathroom in my basement and I definitely want a tub 6 foot me can stretch out in. I haven't had a proper bath that wasn't in a cramped tub in over a decade.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I'm eventually doing a bathroom in my basement and I definitely want a tub 6 foot me can stretch out in. I haven't had a proper bath that wasn't in a cramped tub in over a decade.

those are just pools

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    At taller than 6 feet, the only tubs I've ever been able to stretch out in had the word 'hot' in front of the word 'tub' and were located outdoors.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Slap down some cash and get one of those infinity pools that are tiny but have water flow so you can swim in them

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    Slap down some cash and get one of those infinity pools that are tiny but have water flow so you can swim in them

yes, this!

28138536602_01b1e57145_b.jpg

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

yes, this!

28138536602_01b1e57145_b.jpg

Or, throw down some real cash and get the super high water flow "surfing simulator":

FR-Single-IMAGERY11.jpg

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    "How much does a FlowRider® cost?

Our products range from $450,000 to $5,000,000++ USD. Check out all of our attractions to figure out which wave you want and then contact us. We can get you more information fast and get you closer to your vision!"

Real cash, huh? Yeah, checks out.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    At taller than 6 feet, the only tubs I've ever been able to stretch out in had the word 'hot' in front of the word 'tub' and were located outdoors.

I'm not tall, but I am fat. So I also do not fit well in most tubs.

My dream bathroom has one of those deep hot soaking tubs. That have a seat in them and the hot water can come up to your neck.

I just want to sink into a deep well of hot water and let it soak into my bones.

There's a company down here that does outdoor ones that are gas or wood burner heated, cedar surround, little steps to climb up into. It sounds amazing.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    tbh I don't think many tubs that have been installed for the last god knows how many years have been designed to be a tub for adults.

Like, I can't recall the last time I saw a tub in a house, or frankly anywhere, and thought "Yes, that is a thing for a full sized adult to be able to take a bath in."

It seems like it's more like modern tubs are designed for an adult to take a shower in or give their kid(s) a bath in.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

My dream bathroom has one of those deep hot soaking tubs. That have a seat in them and the hot water can come up to your neck.

I just want to sink into a deep well of hot water and let it soak into my bones.

There's a company down here that does outdoor ones that are gas or wood burner heated, cedar surround, little steps to climb up into. It sounds amazing.

One of my "5 years out" plans is to have one of those put in my master bath, because I want to soak in a bath comfortably for once.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

This is just another area in which Japan kicks the living shit out of the rest of the world.
    The European/North American style tub is the classic long oval/rectangle shape.
    Japanese soaker tubs flip the dimensions so that you're sitting in a tub with a smaller overall footprint - like 3x3/4x4 but the height also goes upwards of 4 feet or so. So you're effectively chilling in a big ole pot of water instead of a shallow dish.

When I eventually remodel my bathroom I am 100% going to get one.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I stayed at a fancy themed Motel that had a 70 gallon soaking tub and it was amazing ( https://theroxburyexperience.com/room/genies-bottle/ )

On another note, it looks like I am fully bought into the Makita 18V LXT battery line. Over the last month I picked up the string trimmer, hedge trimmer, sub-compact drill, and sub-compact impact driver.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    New oven incoming today. Hopefully this install goes smoothly.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, we have some work being done on the deck over our garage. They've peeled back the vinyl a bit to discover... there is a lawyer of concrete and rebar between the vinyl and the plywood underneath. This is a wood frame house built in 1969/70. I have no idea why the hell you would do this.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    So, we have some work being done on the deck over our garage. They've peeled back the vinyl a bit to discover... there is a lawyer of concrete and rebar between the vinyl and the plywood underneath. This is a wood frame house built in 1969/70. I have no idea why the hell you would do this.

I've read this a dozen times and it still doesn't make sense.

• Options
    Insulation is the only reason I can think of.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Yeah man, all I can say is, when you buy an older house, check for shit the previous owners did themselves.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

Yeah man, all I can say is, when you buy an older house, check for shit the previous owners did themselves.

Yes but usually that's because where you expected to find rebar and concrete you found spray foam and gray spray paint, not because you found concrete and rebar where you expected OSB...

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Good news! I got an offer accepted on a great house!

Bad news! I paid 10% over asking!

Good news! The sellers had counter offered 15% over asking and I said no, goodbye, and they called back 10 minutes later at 10% over, so at least it wasn’t 15%!

Bad news! The buying agent repeatedly said the home inspection would be $500, and then after it finished with the guy he personally recommends, it was $745!

I’m hoping to get fleeced by the mortgage lender as soon as tomorrow.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    (Also it’s a very nice house in an extreme sellers market and every other house we’ve seen has gone over asking and very quickly so we’re still happy, this process is just incredibly stressful)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Anyone ever dealt with cedar wood siding? I have 7/8"x8" vertical planks. The wife and I will probably side it next fall, so this fall I want to get rid of any rotten boards and replace them before I throw a new coat of paint on the house.

The problem is, the siding was probably put up in the early to mid 90's. When I removed a couple of boards, I noticed that there is no tyvek barrier behind them. I know this was not standard back then, but I'm worried. I really don't want to have to remove all the wood siding to wrap the whole house.

Most of the cedar siding is in good shape, they put silicon on every joint of the boards, except for spots where the paint cracked and water rotted the boards. This is mainly my fault as I haven't painted the house since we bought it in 2012.

Should I be worried about the house not having vapor barrier? It may have tar paper, but I gotta remove more of the siding to make sure. Ugh, replacing 1500$ worth of cedar and 500$ in paint seems more attractive then 10k$ in new vinyl siding.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Hopefully settling on a refi. 2.75%, 30 yr, same closing costs as every other offer. Seems good, but I keep getting junk mail with lower and lower numbers. I know they’re probably mostly scams, but it still makes me doubt myself.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Good news! The sellers had counter offered 15% over asking and I said no, goodbye, and they called back 10 minutes later at 10% over, so at least it wasn’t 15%!

Bad news! The buying agent repeatedly said the home inspection would be $500, and then after it finished with the guy he personally recommends, it was $745!

At least they're giving you the full homeowner experience right up front!

Congrats?! :)

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Anyone ever dealt with cedar wood siding? I have 7/8"x8" vertical planks. The wife and I will probably side it next fall, so this fall I want to get rid of any rotten boards and replace them before I throw a new coat of paint on the house.

The problem is, the siding was probably put up in the early to mid 90's. When I removed a couple of boards, I noticed that there is no tyvek barrier behind them. I know this was not standard back then, but I'm worried. I really don't want to have to remove all the wood siding to wrap the whole house.

Most of the cedar siding is in good shape, they put silicon on every joint of the boards, except for spots where the paint cracked and water rotted the boards. This is mainly my fault as I haven't painted the house since we bought it in 2012.

Should I be worried about the house not having vapor barrier? It may have tar paper, but I gotta remove more of the siding to make sure. Ugh, replacing 1500$ worth of cedar and 500$ in paint seems more attractive then 10k$ in new vinyl siding.

There's injectable kits with superglue and epoxy putty you can get to stabilize anything you don't want/need to replace. My last place had cedar siding of 90s vintage on the front and I never did anything but aforementioned stabilization, caulk and paint it, so I don't know what was underneath. Certainly I always felt it looked nicer than vinyl siding apart from the maintenance.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

I forget where you live, but if you are on the east coast the Mortgage broker I used was very good, and most importantly super responsive. Shoot me a PM if you want his contact info. He’s licensed in the DMV Jersey Florida Pa both Carolinas and Delaware.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Refinancing my mortgage. Saving 2% on the interest rate, 3 years on the loan and $51,000 over the span.

Had to fill out a bunch of paperwork, though, so it's probably not worth the hassle.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    We're doing a cash-out refi to fund a bunch of expensive things that need to be done to make the house work for us for the next 20 years or so (new windows, new driveway, turn a big room into bedroom + office).

It hurts to extend the term to do it (replacing a previous 15-year refi with another), but this seems like our best chance to get these things done at a reasonable rate.

• Options
    What are your guys actual interest rates, if you don’t mind my asking. Shaving off 2% is crazy high.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'm going from 2.875 to 2.5 on mine. More about getting the equity out than lowering rate, just made more sense to do it this way instead of a 4% equity loan.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    zepherin wrote: »

I forget where you live, but if you are on the east coast the Mortgage broker I used was very good, and most importantly super responsive. Shoot me a PM if you want his contact info. He’s licensed in the DMV Jersey Florida Pa both Carolinas and Delaware.

Unfortunately not licensed in my state.

I’m pretty worried now it’s not going to appraise. We had to waive the appraisal contingency! No one acted like it was a big deal and everyone continues to do so! I don’t see how it could possibly appraise for 7.5% over asking! I think my agent and girlfriend combined to pressure me into overpaying by 20k without an appraisal contingency to get out of it!

Seriously considering backing out and eating 3k instead of possibly not getting appraised and being stuck for 30k if I have to walk then.

I don’t know if I’m catastrophizing or what but I’m pretty pissed to have gotten myself in this situation and secondarily pissed our agent led us into it without acting like it was risky. What would have happened if I listened to him and offered the higher amount??

End vent/rant

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Man, mowing 3 foot tall weeds on a hill with a slope greater than 45 degrees is kind of the worst. Also, mowing the weeds has uncovered some erosion channels that I'll need to fill in eventually. Right now I'm debating whether I want to clean up all the weeds and rocks in my yard, fill in all the dirt that's been eroded, landscape it properly, till it, and then seed it, or if I wanna just hire someone else to do that for me >.>

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.