As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wet Hot American [Phalla] - Summer is Over - Mafia Win!

1235»

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Looking at Zon's post, I didn't realize 38th was the first vote on Lucedes yesterday so I'm going to go ahead and change my vote to premium for self pres/tie break.

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    7:35 PM

Hey, there Camp Firewood, your friendly neighborhood Beekeeper! Sorry about that brief interruption, but when your fans want to shower you with attention, there’s not much you can do to stop them. But now that that’s been taken care of, I’m ready to guide you through one last evening at Camp Firewood.

As always, we’re ending our summer with a big talent show! I hear Susie and Ben put together a great number from Godspell that’s sure to wow everyone. For those of you unlucky enough not to be cast in that showstopper, now’s your very final chance to make a lasting impression on your fellow campers. Have you gone all summer wiling away in obscurity, destined to be forgotten the moment everyone returns to the real world? Don’t let that happen to you, Camp Firewood! Let’s make this talent show one to remember, and let’s make sure everyone remembers you.

And speaking of remembering, let’s all take a moment of silence for the Eagles. With both Victor and Neil nowhere in sight, we’re pretty sure their campers went over Devil’s Canyon Rapids long ago.

Now let’s get on with the talent show!

Results
    38thDoe – Can of Mixed VegetablesVeggie pizza sounds delicious!
    premium – SusieConsigned to regional theatre

Day Six has begun! Barring something weird happening, today will be the last day. Considering that only three players remain, I will end the day when all three players have cast a vote (and when I am back in front of a computer).

A New Way

I'm gonna level with you: this last day of camp has not gone the way anyone would have planned. From the failure to beat Camp Tigerclaw in the big game, to the fact that no one seemed to even want to play capture the flag, not much has gone right for old Camp Firewood here on the last day.

But as long as camp is still in session, there's still time to turn things around. There's still time to let everyone know that this was the best summer ever, at the best camp ever. And that you were the best counselor ever. So now's the time to let everyone know who you really want to be. It's time to reinvent yourself.

Post in the thread who you want the new you to be. Or, heck, why the current you is so awesome. And then we can all move forward, with a New Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYf3nqYQXDI

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    ooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    It ain’t over lentil it’s over!
    oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This is the farthest I have ever gotten in a phalla game.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Going to go with Wildcat mostly for the Day 1 one off on Lucedes, and for being fairly quiet. Zon has at least been helping in thread and trying to get the activities going in thread.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'll back JPants' with a vote towards Wildcat.

My decision is 90% based on the fact that I don't think a mafia member would sleep through a vote in a phalla game.

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    If you both stick with those votes, mafia wins btw.

Wildcat, who do YOU think is the mafia at this point?

Honestly, jdark is using rather odd reasoning - ignoring for example the fact that I was early on the successful lucedes vote wagon - but then you say he can't be mafia for sleeping through a vote and ignoring the fact that I've missed at least one myself.

Then of course there's the fact that the night I voted for jdark, lucedes chimed in immediately thereafter with a vote on him. An attempt to start a wagon on an innocent, perhaps?

So yeah, I'm afraid the finger of my suspicion is pointing to you at this moment, Zonugal.

YOU THINK I WOULD BRING RUIN UPON THIS CAMP?!

... yes?

Then you should accuse me, before time is up.

I wasn't explicit about the day otherwise ending at 2 PM, so I'll give you one more hour to sort things out. If I don't have three votes by then, the day will end.

7:51 PM

At long last, the time had come for the big Camp Firewood Talent Show, that culminating event that wrapped the whole summer up in a neat little blow. Songs would be sung, brooms would be balanced, and farts would be ignited in a glorious blaze that would signal the end of another successful Camp Firewood summer. Except for the kids still stuck in the ropes course. And those other kids who went over some unnavigable rapids. And all those counselors who mysteriously disappeared on the last day of camp.

Hey, why did all of those counselors disappear anyway? There were rumors of some kind of secret pizza party, but then no one ever cam eback for the big Camp Firewood Talent Show. They missed the whole thing. The drama! The excitement! The Alan Shemper!

Oh well, I guess they really needed to get to that pizza party. I’m just bummed that I wasn’t invited. I’m not even sure how I would get there, though. I don’t even know where that secret pizza party is. Even if I did, I don’t have access to the van. Wait a second! I know who has access to the van!

Hey, Andy! You wanna go to the secret pizza party with me?

xnnhaqi0pu0r.gif

qpcg9db8umn5.gif

Results
    Zonugal – McKinleyThe final guest at the secret pizza party!
    Wildcat – CoopSmooshed by a renegade piece of SkyLab

Andy and the mafia are victorious!

Zonugal wrote: »
    I'll back JPants' with a vote towards Wildcat.

My decision is 90% based on the fact that I don't think a mafia member would sleep through a vote in a phalla game.

Never underestimate the depths of my sleep deprivation/insomnia!

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Jpants I hope we can all agree now if you think I am suspicious then we should probably just vote you out.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »
    Jpants I hope we can all agree now if you think I am suspicious then we should probably just vote you out.

It *does* seem to be a pattern lately! I felt bad when I put your name up but I was trying to be pro-active with the vote rather than reactive and i had most everyone else looking fairly village.

Honestly I was sure I was dead that day anyway so it was a fairly desperate play.

MAFIA!!!!

giphy.gif

No proboards, by the way. Only 3 of us so we just ran it out of PM's.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Thanks for running @Locus !

Sorry @Zonugal , I picked wrongly. Also also apologies to our fine host @Locus for completely forgetting my character name and so not participating in the team-picking. :(

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting Locus.
    Sorry that I was asleep through vote close and the entire day a couple of hours before hand.

Must've done something right though to get shenaniganed and then have the Mafia shenaniganer randomly die.

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for playing! Hope you had fun!

Basically I just wanted to run a simple, straightforward game with a fun theme. Didn't want serious business infiltrating what was supposed to be a silly game. So I started off with the most basic set-up possible: a village with zero specials, and a mafia with a daily kill. That's it. I would have added a vigilante if the game had filled up to 16 people.

Everything else I basically made up as I went along. I gave a few people alternate win conditions that had no real meaning. Although if they had tried something creative to do meet that alternate win condition (say, if Ben had proposed to McKinley, or Henry had survived long enough to trigger the SkyLab subplot), I probably would have given it to them. In retrospect I wish I had given villagers meaningless abilities to, just to increase the ridiculousness of everything.

The daily events were also made up as I went along, including any consequences of those events. I just wanted to have something fun for people to do during the day. For the record, I did simulate an entire softball game, using the old finger baseball method. So that recap I posted was legitimate!

In terms of how the game actually played out, the mafia did a good job hiding. If @JaysonFour hadn't inadvertently tied the vote (due to the vote of @AustinP0027 not counting because he was recovering from going to Waterville), I think the mafia would have cruised to an easier victory. The lack of a seer was only a minor roadblock for the village, though, since multiple people did a good job of sniffing out all three mafias.

As for the setting, Wet Hot American Summer is one of my favorite movies, partly because of how silly it is. But mostly because, despite that silliness, it is an extremely accurate depiction of day camp, specifically sleep-away camp, and specifically specifically the type of sleep-away camp that is nominally secular but nearly every camper and counselor is Jewish. I went to one of those camps for seven years, then worked in a day camp as a counselor for five years, then was a camp administrator for three more years. So it all hit close to home for me.

A short, non-exclusive list of extremely accurate things from the movie:
    1. The staff giving increasingly fewer shits as the last day of camp approached.
    2. The staff being extremely horny at all times.
    3. The kitchen staff being weird.
    4. Everyone being from New Jersey.
    5. That one camper who never took a shower. TMI alert:
    That camper was me. In my (tepid) defense, I spent an awful lot of time in the pool, so I spent the entire summer smelling like chlorine, not dirty. But still...
    6. The group of "indoor kids" who basically did not participate in any outdoor activities. This was also me, to an extent, but I actually participated pretty well, all things considered. Until I got older and learned that if I volunteered to help out with the camp show every year, I could just skip whatever activities I didn't like under the guise that I had to go to rehearsal. Then I never played softball or soccer again. Speaking of...
    7. Inter-camp rivalries that always took on outsize importance. Our biggest rival was a dedicated sports camp, though, so we always got clobbered.
    8. That group of campers and staff that took the camp show extremely seriously.
    9. Going into town being a big deal. Cannot overstate how big a deal it was to leave the camp grounds, even for just an hour.
    10. Things that are objectively not funny becoming hilarious in a camp setting. Like, Alan Shemper getting that very enthusiastic response from the camp was extremely on point. When you live in a bubble for eight weeks, it's amazing what becomes funny.

Also if @Zonugal had survived to be the winner I was sorely tempted to get Michael Ian Black to record a Cameo in celebration.

As a fan of the movie and the prequel series, McKinley being the last surviving counselor seems incredibly accurate/on-brand.

I loved how the trip to town ended up having mechanical benefits (and drawbacks)! I was really looking forward to seeing more of those and if I had been village I def would have been pushing those more. I was a little worried that Austin knowing I was Andy was going to bite me in the butt which is why we killed him right after.

What was the villager wincon? Just remove all threats? "Rogue Councillors"? Just curious.

I kinda thought we had accidentally stumbled into actual mechanics with Jayson's bluff to MrPaku (He claimed that as JJ he needed to find Gary and would get a power when he did so). Paku's reaction made me think he had a similar ability/goal/mechanic.

I'm surprised I didn't get voted out immediately for corny vegetable puns.
    ^^Intended.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Yeah, villagers had the standard eliminate all threats win con.

Gary would have been the extra mafia if we had 16 players.

^^Intended.

I was really hoping that was a post restriction, and I was loving it.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    If I had survived to day 2, once I saw how things were going I would have desperately attempted to win the Hopkins Prize. I'm not sure how, but I would've.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ^^Intended.

It would've been pretty funny if I had made soup of you day 1.