As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium - Game 6: Round 9 - Game Over!

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    no sabo

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Round 3: Start of Agenda Phase

Score Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Claim public objective "Corner the Market". (VP 0 --> 1)
    The Naalu Collective: Exhaust Druaa (3R), Starpoint (3R), and 2 Trade Goods (TG 6 --> 4) to claim public objective "Erect a Monument". (VP 0 --> 1)
    Federation of Sol: Claim public objective "Diversify Research". (VP 4 --> 5)
    Reveal Public Objective
    Found Research Outposts (1 VP): Control 3 planets that have technology specialties.
    5 Stage II Objectives remain in the deck.
    Gain Action Cards and Command Tokens; Redistribute Command Areas
    Universities of Jol-Nar: AC 6 --> 8; TP 0 --> 1, SP 0 --> 2
    Discard "Morale Boost" to comply with hand limits. (AC 8 --> 7)
    The Winnu: AC 6 --> 7; TP 0 --> 2
    The Naalu Collective: AC 3 --> 5; TP 0 --> 2, FP 4 --> 3, SP 1 --> 2
    Nekro Virus: AC 4 --> 5; TP 0 --> 2
    The Ghosts of Creuss: AC 4 --> 5; TP 0 --> 1, SP 0 --> 1
    Federation of Sol: AC 3 --> 5; TP 0 --> 2, SP 0 --> 1
    At the end of the Status Phase, Jol-Nar plays Action Card "Political Stability", retaining the (6) Warfare Strategy Card through the next round. (AC 7 --> 6)
    At the end of the Status Phase, Sol gains one Infantry on Flagship Genesis.

The first Agenda of the Agenda Phase is drawn from the top of the deck:

Minister of War (Law)
    Elect Player: The elected player gains this card. The owner of this card may discard this card after performing an action to remove 1 of his command tokens from the game board and return it to his reinforcements; then, he may perform 1 additional action.

Voting Order
    Federation of Sol (MrBody): Up to 15 votes
    The Naalu Collective (38thDoe): Up to 11 votes
    The Winnu (discrider): Up to 14 votes
    Universities of Jol-Nar (Ketar): Up to 18 votes
    The Ghosts of Creuss (A Half Eaten Oreo): Up to 5 votes
    Nekro Virus (Phyphor): Cannot vote due to Galactic Threat; Speaker

At least 24 hours will be allocated for discussion, deals, transactions, and Action Card declarations, unless all players collectively call for voting to start before then.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Naalu, I'd also be willing to work with you on which tech I research this round if you want to trade for the Jol-nar racial promissory. I was leaning toward Assault Cannon, but I can research pretty much everything else except War Suns, Integrated Economy and Space Dock II.

This is a good offer that I will accept.
    Trade racial promissory note for Jol-Nar racial promissory note.[/salmon]

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I will now make my campaign for minister of war

See that big fuckoff pile of ships? I can put those on top of any homeworld of your choice, immediately

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I can't see it the map is a few pages back. I feel like the game ends one way if you put the pile on 5/6 of the home worlds. It will probably end that way anyways. The only question I guess is if you can take the planet or just give it a defensive fleet like on Mecatol.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I can't see it the map is a few pages back. I feel like the game ends one way if you put the pile on 5/6 of the home worlds. It will probably end that way anyways. The only question I guess is if you can take the planet or just give it a defensive fleet like on Mecatol.

I can drop a dozen infrantry, which are also better fighters for me. It is a mortal lock for the rest of the game

• Options
    But if jol nar wants that help it's not going to come for free given that they just took a bunch of my planets and are currently my primary target

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

I can drop a dozen infrantry, which are also better fighters for me. It is a mortal lock for the rest of the game

That sounds like something I'd be a fan of. I don't have a plurality of votes though.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

See that big fuckoff pile of ships? I can put those on top of any homeworld of your choice, immediately

??
    I don't see how this agenda makes you quicker at doing this?
    Or am I just sleep and 'immediately' means 'in two actions'

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Naalu, I'd also be willing to work with you on which tech I research this round if you want to trade for the Jol-nar racial promissory. I was leaning toward Assault Cannon, but I can research pretty much everything else except War Suns, Integrated Economy and Space Dock II.

This is a good offer that I will accept.
    Trade racial promissory note for Jol-Nar racial promissory note.[/salmon]

Deal. Trade our racial promissory for the Naalu racial promissory.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

??
    I don't see how this agenda makes you quicker at doing this?
    Or am I just sleep and 'immediately' means 'in two actions'

2 actions vs. 2 turns is much faster? Or rounds or whatever its called when we go through all the phases.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    It's one action, since it lets you move a second time immediately

• Options
    But if jol nar wants that help it's not going to come for free given that they just took a bunch of my planets and are currently my primary target

I completely understand your anger. But I look at my action cards and I am extremely unworried by the prospect of Nekro targeting me. I wouldn't have risked that anger otherwise. So while it is undoubtedly self-serving, please consider that it is not entirely self-serving when I tell you that you would be better off threatening someone else. I don't believe that anyone can point to a time in any of these TI4 games where I've been dishonest (though my memory is shite lately, so maybe there is some moment I can't recall right now; I don't think so though). Heck, I'd guess that I'm probably too open and honest about what's going on at times and that often leads people to assume I must be lying. Seriously though, this has been a frustrating game for you and I am confident that if you dedicate yourself to punishing Jol-nar you may well get there eventually, but there will definitely be a lot more frustration along the way.

That said, you are totally right to be pissed about me taking those planets. I'm willing to work with you on something to try to take some of the sting out. Not sure how, but we can talk.

• Options

No it's not?
    It says, after taking an action to remove a token from the board.
    Which would presumably be after moving your blob of ships once in the previous action.

• Options

No it's not?
    Which would presumably be after moving your blob of ships once in the previous action.

The elected player gains this card. The owner of this card may discard this card after performing an action to remove 1 of his command tokens from the game board and return it to his reinforcements; then, he may perform 1 additional action.

Bolded the relevant part

• Options
    Yeah, so you take a token and then perform an action.
    Rather than double move

• Options
    edited August 2020

No it's not?

The elected player gains this card. The owner of this card may discard this card after performing an action to remove 1 of his command tokens from the game board and return it to his reinforcements; then, he may perform 1 additional action.

Bolded the relevant part

Oh.
    Is it:
    " after performing an action to remove 1 of his command tokens" (take a token as an action)
    Or is it meant to read:
    " after performing an action, to remove 1 of his command tokens" (take an action then a token)

discrider on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I read it as:
    Do an action.
    Trigger minister of war which removes a CC from the board.
    Then, perform another action

trigger (The owner of this card may discard this card after performing an action)
    effect (to remove 1 of his command tokens from the game board and return it to his reinforcements; then, he may perform 1 additional action)

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, then they need the punctuation for me to agree RAW.
    But the alternative is that the discard trigger occurs due to taking the action implied on the card, which doesn't make logical sense :(

So happy with your interpretation.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited August 2020

No it's not?

Bolded the relevant part

Oh.
    Is it:
    " after performing an action to remove 1 of his command tokens" (take a token as an action)
    Or is it meant to read:
    " after performing an action, to remove 1 of his command tokens" (take an action then a token)

(How I would word it for less confusion) The elected player gains this card. The owner of this card may discard this card after performing an action. Then he may remove 1 of his command tokens from the game board and return it to his reinforcements; then, he may perform 1 additional action.

What Phyphor said. It would be almost useless otherwise. Only usable when playing Warfare or that one action card. Instead, this is faster Warfare with less utility. Take an action, pick a token back up, and immediately take another action. But you don't get to put the token back into one of your allocated pools, just your reserves.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Oh right.
    It doesn't go back to the allocation pools.
    Fair

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Heck I've got the action cards too. Even if Jord does get taken, it'll be instantly taken back. Loss of a dock but oh welp.

Probably more efficient course to just work it out to deny me Imperial every round. That wouldn't use up your doomstack for your own VP either.

MrBody on
  • Options
    As far as the agenda goes, I'd rather it not go to Sol or Nekro. I'm willing to sell some votes, or include some as part of a larger trade.

• Options
    I don't think it should go to me either! Let's join votes!

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I'm not sure I care who it goes to.
    Happy to sell votes for TGs though.

discrider on
  • Options
    I think it should go to Winnu.

• Options
    For that glorious 2x bombard on MR

• Options
    Naalu, it occurs to me that if I were to research 2 technologies this round instead of 1, I could get anything as the second one. So War Suns or Space Dock II could be options. If either of those would be desirable for you, I have an offer: you pay 3 TG toward the research costs and pick your poison, when the time comes I research the one you want and in the meantime I provide any additional votes needed beyond your own to secure this agenda for you. It feels like combining this agenda with either tech could give you a big boost in fleet power that could definitely be moved this round. If Warfare gets played earlier you could potentially move a War Sun twice.

Anyway, if anything along those lines is interesting, talk to me. If not, no worries.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Yes please get war suns. And assault cannon. There is no way that this could backfire

Fleet logistics is on the wishlist as well, maybe cruiser II? Dunno, might not actually produce any more of those

Hell I'll even take space dock II. I need to do unit spam anyway

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Or I could try to win the agenda for Jol-nar and take away all of the rest of Nekro's colonized planets before their first turn. That could be fun. Good luck trying to build a War Sun then 8-)

Ketar on
  • Options
    Voting window is now open; @MrBody can start the vote whenever they're ready. As a reminder, here's what's at stake:

Minister of War (Law)
    Elect Player: The elected player gains this card. The owner of this card may discard this card after performing an action to remove 1 of his command tokens from the game board and return it to his reinforcements; then, he may perform 1 additional action.

Voting Order
    Federation of Sol (MrBody): Up to 15 votes
    The Naalu Collective (38thDoe): Up to 11 votes
    The Winnu (discrider): Up to 14 votes
    Universities of Jol-Nar (Ketar): Up to 18 votes
    The Ghosts of Creuss (A Half Eaten Oreo): Up to 5 votes
    Nekro Virus (Phyphor): Cannot vote due to Galactic Threat; Speaker

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Or I could try to win the agenda for Jol-nar and take away all of the rest of Nekro's colonized planets before their first turn. That could be fun. Good luck trying to build a War Sun then 8-)

Oh no please not my two resources Mr. Jol Nar!

While you do that I'll go dump everything on your homeworlds, enjoy

• Options

Oh no please not my two resources Mr. Jol Nar!

While you do that I'll go dump everything on your homeworlds, enjoy

Again, really not worried about that possibility :D

• Options
    I also have a hand of action cards that are specifically targeted against anyone who agresses me.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Anyways I don't really have the resources to build giant easy to blow up death stars at this time, and spending trade goods wouldn't help with that. What would really help would be if you teched before me in turn order. Less helpful but still good would be getting a 2nd tech in a color so I have a shot at a not empty your wallet victory point.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I have no control over when tech happens, unfortunately. I already have Warfare as my strategy card, so I'll be playing on the Tech secondary when it gets played. Whenever it does get played we can talk about what to research.

• Options
    Anyways I don't really have the resources to build giant easy to blow up death stars at this time, and spending trade goods wouldn't help with that. What would really help would be if you teched before me in turn order. Less helpful but still good would be getting a 2nd tech in a color so I have a shot at a not empty your wallet victory point.

At the moment it sounds like it might be Politics Imperial Your Tech pick anyhow

• Options
    @MrBody to vote or abstain on the agenda.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    5 votes for Winnu

@38thDoe