As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WOOF WOOF: It's a Dog Thread

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    help this dog hates me what do

rptg2m689br4.jpg

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Give it a bit of rough-housing, tousle its ears, play with its paws, dogs love that shit

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    In all fairness my not-dog actually does play fetch.

She will let out these horrible meows like there is a terrible crisis going on, then you look over and she has her toy mouse at her feet DEMANDING it be thrown. I huck it down the stairs and she bolts down like lightning, seriously faster than a free fall, just full speed straight down those stairs.

Then repeat - crisis meows until mouse is thrown.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We doing dwags, huh?

i43slgd7hx9w.jpg

Yes, it's my couch. And my pillow. Fuck you.

udycb3g4uait.jpg

Paint me like one of your french dogs

douxr8n140p3.jpg

I'm old. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

THESE ARE ALL THE DOG PICS ON MY PHONE

THESE ARE FOR ACTUAL DOGS THEY ARE NOT ACTORS OR CRUDE CLAY IMITATIONS
    zmb80rckdk4i.jpg
    oxcahoxlddcz.jpg
    d8132wymiojy.jpg
    5rgq8uljv34q.jpg
    214vdwmyq06i.jpg
    also best dog
    xn6cz06m2ijz.jpg

wanna play with that final very round dog

tynic wrote: »

he is a very very grumpy dog but loves pets and will not come out of his house in winter without being completely covered by his blankie

3clipse wrote: »

I'm old. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

same. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    Meet Chunk. He is a Border Beagle.
    rqu68cjmfvx4.jpg

We got him from a family that had an unfixed border collie and an unfixed beagle and was just utterly shocked at what ended up happening. He is the groans at everything, can clear a room with a fart, and somehow grew larger than both of his parents. But we love him and he wrangles our chickens with loving care.

Here he is sleeping as normal dogs do
    ln1o153pa0d5.jpg

And here he is wishing he was a wolf
    9s5lawztrq5a.jpg

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

he is a very very grumpy dog but loves pets and will not come out of his house in winter without being completely covered by his blankie

Fuck this is good

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    ln1o153pa0d5.jpg

yes this checks out
    NWqbiT4l.png

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What are bones, even?

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    fsip2449dye6.png

like, I'm pretty sure her spine is bent almost 90 degrees along the corner between the wall/door while also twisted nearly 180 degrees

and this, apparently, is comfortable

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    This is not my dog, but I have had the honor of rubbing his tummy.

x41jmxr71944.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Some of you got some funny looking dogs

Dog thread, my dog is officially a dog therapy dog

Half our family training business is group classes (which we are doing in parks outside with masks and distancing post-covid), and the other half is one-on-one appointments with dogs that are anxious, dominant/reactive, dangerous (which can be fixed/reduced if the behaviour is repeatable!), etc

Tonight, Dad was working with an anxious dog that came from an abusive home and was later adopted; it has similar behaviour to another one we worked with that was locked inside for a few months, so we assume it was something along those lines, where the poor thing is just terrified of being outside, physically shivering with fear, etc

So Dad brought Ivy to the appointment; her breed is generally super sensitive, but she's also the first dog a lot of puppies meet in our classes that weren't from their own litter, so she's excellent at reading other dogs and working with/playing with them from there

She could tell this dog was scared and so she approached very cautiously and calmly, and then the owner and my Dad took the dogs for a walk; Ivy kept pace with the nervous dog, who kept looking to her for clues on how to react to things, and eventually stopped shaking and started being more comfortable sniffing things, investigating, and at one point was surprised by I think a basketball bouncing - the dog looked at Ivy, who didn't react, and realized "oh! okay! not scary!"

Apparently the owner was super impressed and they're gonna do several more of these appointments where Ivy just teaches this dog not to be afraid of things and it's just very good, good dogs all 'round

Steam
  • TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    I gotta be honest, I don't even own a dog because I'm too irresponsible. I just wanted to look at some dogs.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I really want a dog. I'm moving soon to a big house with a big garden and fingers crossed I will be able to acquire one. In the meantime have some pics of the dog housemate I used to have

uvj4874iz23p.jpg

zoapazlo7p8x.jpg

tf2uk8a4sdml.jpg

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I love dogs, @Cello 's story made me very emotional

But my current work life commute balance doesn't allow to my have a dog

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    ln1o153pa0d5.jpg

yes this checks out
    NWqbiT4l.png

Does it?
    1j2eb793yryl.jpg

Cello wrote: »

Half our family training business is group classes (which we are doing in parks outside with masks and distancing post-covid), and the other half is one-on-one appointments with dogs that are anxious, dominant/reactive, dangerous (which can be fixed/reduced if the behaviour is repeatable!), etc

Tonight, Dad was working with an anxious dog that came from an abusive home and was later adopted; it has similar behaviour to another one we worked with that was locked inside for a few months, so we assume it was something along those lines, where the poor thing is just terrified of being outside, physically shivering with fear, etc

So Dad brought Ivy to the appointment; her breed is generally super sensitive, but she's also the first dog a lot of puppies meet in our classes that weren't from their own litter, so she's excellent at reading other dogs and working with/playing with them from there

She could tell this dog was scared and so she approached very cautiously and calmly, and then the owner and my Dad took the dogs for a walk; Ivy kept pace with the nervous dog, who kept looking to her for clues on how to react to things, and eventually stopped shaking and started being more comfortable sniffing things, investigating, and at one point was surprised by I think a basketball bouncing - the dog looked at Ivy, who didn't react, and realized "oh! okay! not scary!"

Apparently the owner was super impressed and they're gonna do several more of these appointments where Ivy just teaches this dog not to be afraid of things and it's just very good, good dogs all 'round

bring yer dog over i gotta go grocery shopping

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    We had my folks' dog over and there was epic battle-royale.

YIFRK02.jpeg

The aftermath.

zxk3bvZ.jpeg

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

She will absolutely help you on this but you are probably gonna have to slip her a bribe if you don't want her to immediately ditch you for the treat aisle

(Also we took her to dog class tonight and she was very good and did an excellent bow trick

My favourite dog this time is a tie between Scooby, who does a little flourish every trick and also insists on standing up between doing a sit and a down, and Olive, who has genuinely fucking massive paws)

Steam
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    My favourite dog this time is a tie between Scooby, who does a little flourish every trick and also insists on standing up between doing a sit and a down
    Hrm, yes, this is very good, sounds adorable.
    and Olive, who has genuinely fucking massive paws)
    Oh sorry Scooby we have a winner.

(but they're all good dogs)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My fav about taking a dog shopping was my mother's dog picked his fav treats placing them on the floor in front of her sitting down.
    My mother said No he continues to beg she says no again this continues till he gets annoyed picks up the treats and throws them at my mother.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This thread got me looking at dog rescues again and it seems like it will basically be impossible to find a place that will rehome a dog into a house with pre-teen children. So I may end up having to get a puppy. Which, obviously, getting a puppy is not exactly a negative, but I had been really keen to give an abandoned dog a good home.

She will absolutely help you on this but you are probably gonna have to slip her a bribe if you don't want her to immediately ditch you for the treat aisle

(Also we took her to dog class tonight and she was very good and did an excellent bow trick

My favourite dog this time is a tie between Scooby, who does a little flourish every trick and also insists on standing up between doing a sit and a down, and Olive, who has genuinely fucking massive paws)

*slips dogue a 7 pound corned beef*

remember i'm the good uncle

This thread got me looking at dog rescues again and it seems like it will basically be impossible to find a place that will rehome a dog into a house with pre-teen children. So I may end up having to get a puppy. Which, obviously, getting a puppy is not exactly a negative, but I had been really keen to give an abandoned dog a good home.

yeah i really wanna get a rescue chihuahua but SURPRISE there haven't been any for like 5 years anywhere i look

yeah i really wanna get a rescue chihuahua but SURPRISE there haven't been any for like 5 years anywhere i look

Hmmm, I wonder if some of the adoption groups are being a little more picky right now with homes

With covid, the amount of rescues/puppies being adopted locally has been insane, and now we're completely slammed for training and booking forward into September, we've never been this busy

I've also heard the price of puppies from breeders has increased by like 300 or 400 due to demand around here

Steam

Hmmm, I wonder if some of the adoption groups are being a little more picky right now with homes

With covid, the amount of rescues/puppies being adopted locally has been insane, and now we're completely slammed for training and booking forward into September, we've never been this busy

I've also heard the price of puppies from breeders has increased by like 300 or 400 due to demand around here

i thinks it's more of a they get snatched up almost immediately. i did try at a place that specializes in ibble dorgs but i didn't have enough references

Rescues in general are having a hard time keeping dogs on the shelves, so to speak. Everyone's home so they finally have the time to adopt that dog they've always wanted.

This is great for the dogs but tough for first time adopters who can't get a match to save their lives. We ended up with the puppy not because we desperately wanted one but because one of the rescues we really like had like 75% puppies listed.

I've been periodically trying to adopt for the last few months - I would be fine with a puppy, but because I'm in an apartment I have to get really selective about breeds. Well, that and I'm really only interested in homing giant dogs, just absolute monsters with paws the size of dish plates.
    There have been a dearth of options lately.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've been periodically trying to adopt for the last few months - I would be fine with a puppy, but because I'm in an apartment I have to get really selective about breeds. Well, that and I'm really only interested in homing giant dogs, just absolute monsters with paws the size of dish plates.

My local rescue had a great pyranees when I went in. How for of a drive is Tucson for you?

A fair way, but not unthinkable.

I love Pyrenees and have always wanted one, but I worry the apartment makes it a no-go - its fine exercise wise but they're extremely protective, and as farm dogs they want to protect a big "area". I talked to a local rescue about whether it was workable and he thought that without a large yard space they'd get too stressed out by all the people and dogs wandering around in the complex.

That said if it was a choice between me or never being homed I'd give it a shot.

I keep fluctuating between "I should get a mutt, because they are healthier, and I should get something small enough that I can carry it in case it gets hurt while we're out, and anyway a dog that size will just be more convenient to have around the house and less likely to knock the toddler into a wall" and "ME WANT DIREWOLF WOLFHOUND"

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I am all about those giant dogs.

Smother me in cuddles please.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited August 2020
    There are some excellent small dogs out there but it really can't be overstated how wonderful it is to use a giant fluff machine as a pillow

I don't think I'd be able to go for smaller than a medium dog

...except maybe for a Schipperke, they're SO FLUFFY and they're called The Little Captains since they were bred to go on small boats!!

schipperke-card-medium.jpg?bust=1535567917&width=560

Cello on
    Steam
    edited August 2020

I keep fluctuating between "I should get a mutt, because they are healthier, and I should get something small enough that I can carry it in case it gets hurt while we're out, and anyway a dog that size will just be more convenient to have around the house and less likely to knock the toddler into a wall" and "ME WANT DIREWOLF WOLFHOUND"

I find the giant ones are usually super gentle once they're out of the puppy phase, while smaller dogs tend to be bitier and more reactive around toddlers. So count this as a vote for direwolves.

Also our dogs have always been extremely careful around children (they still love them, they are just very delicate in their behaviour), but I think that's been bred into them (berners are basically designed to be ambulatory foot warmers for the whole family)

tynic on

I find the giant ones are usually super gentle once they're out of the puppy phase, while smaller dogs tend to be bitier and more reactive around toddlers. So count this as a vote for direwolves.

Also our dogs have always been extremely careful around children (they still love them, they are just very delicate in their behaviour), but I think that's been bred into them (berners are basically designed to be ambulatory foot warmers for the whole family)

A lot of the issues with the smaller dogs being bitey can often be traced back to the owner - if you have a big dog you're uh, a lot more on the hook for whether or not your dog is obedient

But my Dad's advice that he drilled into me even prior to starting group training classes was not to offer your hand to small dogs you don't know since they are waaaaay more likely to bite (for that above reason)

Steam