As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I think I missed that the first time, so I was kinda excited that it was coming back, but then it said evolved. I really have not enjoyed the way "all evo shields" has affected other game modes.

In ABC specifically there's a premium on movement and is (in my opinion) more fun if you can focus on the scramble to the middle and the fights along the way, the less time looting the better. Starting everyone with an Evo shield means that you don't have to worry about finding a better shield and sure you've still got to find some guns but it's way more fun (again to me) to grab whatever's at hand and just get busy and not having to worry about someone else grabbing a better shield is good.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    I think I missed that the first time, so I was kinda excited that it was coming back, but then it said evolved. I really have not enjoyed the way "all evo shields" has affected other game modes.

In ABC specifically there's a premium on movement and is (in my opinion) more fun if you can focus on the scramble to the middle and the fights along the way, the less time looting the better. Starting everyone with an Evo shield means that you don't have to worry about finding a better shield and sure you've still got to find some guns but it's way more fun (again to me) to grab whatever's at hand and just get busy and not having to worry about someone else grabbing a better shield is good.
    Myself, I feel like it adds two more layers of ways to get screwed by randomness. It's really important to get an early game fight to build your shield, and you need more shield cells to actually make use of those shields. So on top of the usual possibility of having bad luck with the regular upgrades, there's also the possibility of getting bad luck with fights, and you're more likely to not get enough shield cells to sustain yourself. It leads to a lot more matches where it doesn't feel like I lost to a player, and more like I just got screwed by the game.

I can definitely see your point but ABC is a madcap scramble from beginning to end, it's got a pace like no other gametype. I'll be curious about what you think once the event's actually live and we've tried it.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    honestly in evo shield only situations you should take the risk and execute more if you think you're in control of a fight because there's always the chance you loot someone and they have no shields

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzdGo7FBndA
    Expert modder Rampart is joining the Games in Season 6. Ready to dance? http://x.ea.com/64060

Rampart’s arriving in Season 6 to give things a little boost. Get acquainted with Rampart and Sheila when Season 6 launches on August 18. Plus get ready for a new weapon, a new Crafting system, Battle Pass, Ranked updates and more!

edited August 2020
    I would like to know more about this crafting system they speak of.

Edit: Also sprays are a thing now? I look forward to that stupidity!

Peen on
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I don't look forward to more diluting of pack contents though. Weapon charms already felt unneccessary.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Was that a one way baricade that Bangolore is shooting through?

I wondered that too, but then I thought maybe it's just a window?

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    It's Rampart's tactical I believe. Apparently it's taken from the A-Walls in TF2? I've played all of 30 minutes of that game though so can't say much.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    "Sheila" looks to be a new LMG maybe?

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Probably Rampart's Ultimate, as I would expect Volt is the only new gun.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Probably Rampart's Ultimate, as I would expect Volt is the only new gun.

Oh, I hadn't seen anything about volt.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    A-walls are pretty nasty if they're ported straight over from TF2. They're a shield one way and a damage buff the other!

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah as shown in the trailer Sheila is Rampart's ult. Basically she drops it down as a machine-gun emplacement, which I'm assuming is usable by other squaddies (though I'm not sure).

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Edit: Question answered, thanks!

JAEF on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    Can anyone actively playing this on PC please shoot me a PM?

Add Mr_F4ll0ut (me), Confused Walrus (MyNameIsWalrus), and Satsumomo (Satsumomo) on Origin, we're on pretty regularly. We frequently group up when we're all on, but plenty of days/times when all 3 of us aren't online and you could join in!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I played a bit of this when it first came out, and found it an entertaining, very polished diversion, but I have other things to take up my time with then.

Now that I've been sat in quarantine for months on end I have run out of other diversions and dusted off the old playstation, it's quite different now, more than one map, such decadence! Now, I am extremely bad at this game in particular, and shooters in general, but is there any sort of PA PS4 group/squad/whatever I can get in on? It'd be fun to play outside of random teams for a bit.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I've spent a couple of days playing this game now and feel that the time is right to announce my professional opinion:

it's good.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Definitely, I had avoided it but not sure why. I think it might have been that seeing just how crazy the movement was on the first seasons, I felt like I'd just be at an impossible disadvantage because I would need to learn all those crazy moves. It wasn't until a friend insisted we play on PS4 that I actually got to see that most of that stuff had been removed.

I'm looking forward to the new season and the new character, she looks really fun.

Apologies for the double post but I didn't hear about the new paintball hop-up for the Spitfire and now it's all I want to use, I will be trying that tonight, immediately.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Very important question: I'm seeing some skins on players that don't seem to be in the list of skins. Were these limited time things that aren't available anymore? Because it's critical that I get a good Lifeline skin and I need to know how much attention to pay.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Very important question: I'm seeing some skins on players that don't seem to be in the list of skins. Were these limited time things that aren't available anymore? Because it's critical that I get a good Lifeline skin and I need to know how much attention to pay.

Yeah, there're a fair few skins which were limited to certain events that have since finished. Respawn/EA are pretty fiendish when it comes to the mechanics of getting them. I.e. They put suuuuper awesome skins and other cosmetics into a limited time event, but then also hook their purchase into an awful gambling system where in order to get the actual skin you want you'll have to purchase a royal galactic fuck tonnage of loot boxes.

To be fair to them, the latest event did also allow you to buy them direct with the in game currencies, but they were twice as expensive as normal legendary skins!

Campy on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Campy wrote: »

Yeah, there're a fair few skins which were limited to certain events that have since finished. Respawn/EA are pretty fiendish when it comes to the mechanics of getting them. I.e. They put suuuuper awesome skins and other cosmetics into a limited time event, but then also hook their purchase into an awful gambling system where in order to get the actual skin you want you'll have to purchase a royal galactic fuck tonnage of loot boxes.

To be fair to them, the latest event did also allow you to buy them direct with the in game currencies, but they were twice as expensive as normal legendary skins!

To further explain, since Campy's info is pretty outdated:

Every single event after the first big on (Iron Crown), there are event-limited cosmetics that you can get one of 3 ways:

1. Random loot box that is guaranteed to drop at least one event cosmetic, 50/50 change of it being Legendary or Epic. Usually $7/box
    2. Purchase any cosmetic directly. Usually for legendary skins this is $18 (1800 Apex Credits). This is what a skin normally costs in the store during non-events too,
    3. Craft the skin from crafting materials at 2x the normal cost of the skin.

All events after Iron Crown have worked this way, because that event system sucked (only option 1 was available to get the items, with 1-2 freebies), everyone complained, and Respawn/EA listened and changed it up. You can still roll the dice (and its overall cheaper if you're going for the heirloom to buy a shitton of boxes), but you can also save up crafting mats to get what you want, or just outright buy the one awesome skin for your main.

@Surfpossum : If you're looking for a good lifeline skin, keep an eye out for Judge Jury Executioner coming back. Iron Crown is the event its part of, and the event was last held mid August, so it might be coming back soon.

ronzo on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Can't imagine anyone operating a turret is going to last more than a couple seconds without getting vaporized. A stationary target with a big gun is going to get sniped like crazy from anything that can reach.

Also, the "crafting" looks a lot like the Apex spin on Warzone's airdrops to me. Which is no problem whatsoever for me since it looks like a) you're limited in what you can craft and b) I would enjoy the game so much more if I could reliably have even one gun in a configuration I like in every game. Having shit guns for ages because I'm bothering to keep an eye out while squad mates run around like blind rabbits looting is not my favorite part of the game.

Not to mention it will make practicing with a weapon waaaaay easier since you should be able to count on being able to at least build it each match.

I updated the OP but the map updates for next season got posted to the EA website. They're all updates to World's Edge and the biggest news is Mirage Voyage flew away and they killed the train!

@Local H Jay

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Right as they add a train to Warzone... My only complaint is I can't land a Helo on the train

wait wtf the train drop is the single best thing in the entire game world!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm betting the train and Mirage Voyage both drew in a disproportional number of players, and they're wanting to get people to visit the updated areas now.

I will say about train that the source engine sometimes seemed to get big mad about player models moving on the moving train. I once got instaboxed from it turning a corner

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    train, like airship, is great but has also been a constant source of weird physics

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I just finished up the single player quest missions, kind of neat, I wish there was a little more variety perhaps, but it's interesting to see what they can do within the limits of the engine, I assume they don't really have the capacity to set up missions with AI bots or anything, but they're a fun change of pace.

Hrmm, I don't think having a ten minute abandon timer for leaving once you and another teammate's recover timers have expired is very good.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Hrmm, I don't think having a ten minute abandon timer for leaving once you and another teammate's recover timers have expired is very good.

Did they add that to ranked?

Because you should be able to leave without penalty once you're non-recoverable, understanding that you don't get as many ranked points if your team were to go on and win.

metaghost wrote: »

Did they add that to ranked?

Because you should be able to leave without penalty once you're non-recoverable, understanding that you don't get as many ranked points if your team were to go on and win.
    Yep. I'd guess maaaaaaaaaybe it's to prevent people from deliberately running off and getting themselves killed to troll folks?

But it inconvenienced me so it's clearly bad.

i thought that only dinged you if you were still recoverable. I guess that's good to know.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I enjoy there being two ships on the ABCE mode. I've yet to see it happen, but it'd be amazing to have some epic ship vs ship combat, some real air pirates shenanigans.

Definitely not going to catch up on the red currency by the start of the next season, but over the course of S5 I managed to unlock all but Crypto and Revenant, and I'm half way to a new Legend, so basically 2.5 legends worth of currency to pick up in the months to come (and ideally enough padding to be ahead of things when 7 presumably brings another, so 3.5 I guess before I actually have a bit of a nest egg).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!