As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    So how about that Nier raid, huh?

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    is there a progress tracking site that’s recommended? I’ve seen a bunch of them and am getting to the point where I need to figure out which blue quests I should be doing

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Miqo'te
    https://clips.twitch.tv/CrackyCourteousAuberginePrimeMe

holy shit they did it

UCOB cleared with 8 tanks, what a game

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    ph blake wrote: »
    https://clips.twitch.tv/CrackyCourteousAuberginePrimeMe

holy shit they did it

UCOB cleared with 8 tanks, what a game

That's just ridiculous.

Hey SE, can healers at least hit as hard as tanks?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    WHM and AST both outdamage tanks at peak DPS.

• Options
    Au'ra
    admanb wrote: »
    WHM and AST both outdamage tanks at peak DPS.

They really don't. WHM is the only one that comes close on personal DPS. (This is mostly my pet peeve that playing a healer job in the MSQ sucks because stuff takes forever to die)

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I spent some time today trimming down my huge assortment of RP alts to the four most essential, agonizing over which ones to cut. Leveling everybody became unsustainable ages ago, and more than half of them were created for RP scenarios that have since dried up anyway. Now there are two left on Balmung, and two on Mateus. And if I get involved in any new storylines from here on out, I'll either have to figure out how to fit one of the existing characters into it, or pay out to change them into someone new.

The real agony is that they're all super broke from making costumes though, even after consolidating the funds that belonged to all the deleted alts, and my actual money making luck all seems to be focused on my main non-RP character over on Sargatanas. He could bankroll all the dumb flashy glam needs of the other four effortlessly, but there doesn't seem to be a way to send money from Aether to Crystal Data Center.

So if anyone's near Mateus in the near future and has... uh... (checks notes) 800k gil to just accidentally leave in the street in front of my Samurai/Red Mage... that would be real neato.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    i have no friends and no presents yet this game is awful

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2020
    Miqo'te
    And DPS as a White mage is so gawdawful boring. This is what I can use to kill monsters with:

o4eEkDx.png

Three AOE, two of which are limited use (45 second recast and 90+ second recast) and the third is merely inconveniently slow, a single one-target dot and a single direct damage spell.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Au'ra
    Hey, that's more buttons than SCH gets for DPS these days.

God I miss being able to pile on the DoTs. Bio+Bio II+Miasma+Miasma II+Shadow Flare+Bane.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Miqo'te
    I was merely speaking from experience. My scholar is only level 57.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Hey, that's more buttons than SCH gets for DPS these days.

God I miss being able to pile on the DoTs. Bio+Bio II+Miasma+Miasma II+Shadow Flare+Bane.

Yeah, SCH gets a single AoE, locked to directly around them, and direct damage otherwise has only Broil, Biolysis, and Energy Drain and only the latter if you spend your Aetherflow on it instead of healing CDs. Which I do but that’s besides the point. Love my shields, but definitely get jealous of WHM personal dps facerolling Glare, and having healing buttons that insanely do the thing upon want. Unlike fairy heals, which seem to completely depend on the whim of Eos as to when they get around to actually casting the activated ability -_-.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Lalafell
    At least we still have Ruin II; WHM doesn't get to weave healing Abilities off of anything other than Dia.

But yeah, we used to have 2 direct attack spells (one instant), 2 DOT spells (one instant), an instant AOE attack/DOT, an Ability that spreads DOTs to all nearby targets, and an OGCD damage field. We've now just got the 2 direct attack spells, the instant DOT, and an AOE attack. And Energy Drain, but they actually removed that one early on in SHB, only to return it when SCH players got annoyed that they had no good option for Aetherflow if people weren't in danger.

I would really like to have Bane back; I'd be fully willing to give WHM and AST more AOE damage as a result.

Also, I wonder if we'll still have Energy Drain in 6.0; them removing it and then giving us back the old version of it (whereas SMN has a new version of the same move) makes me think it's temporary.

Enlong on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    They should give SCH back Shadow Flare, make it a good bit stronger and have it use a chunk of fairy gauge.

And then just give AST fuckin Comet or something.

I dont want to go back to green DPS but WHM's Misery is really fun and I'd like the other healers to have an equivalent.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    My suspicion is that more healers would be willing to try for max DPS if it meant A) having your DPS potential be a reward for healing well, and B) not actually having to target switch to the enemy. Of them all WHM does seem to come closest to meeting these criteria

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Enlong wrote: »
    At least we still have Ruin II; WHM doesn't get to weave healing Abilities off of anything other than Dia.

But yeah, we used to have 2 direct attack spells (one instant), 2 DOT spells (one instant), an instant AOE attack/DOT, an Ability that spreads DOTs to all nearby targets, and an OGCD damage field. We've now just got the 2 direct attack spells, the instant DOT, and an AOE attack. And Energy Drain, but they actually removed that one early on in SHB, only to return it when SCH players got annoyed that they had no good option for Aetherflow if people weren't in danger.

I would really like to have Bane back; I'd be fully willing to give WHM and AST more AOE damage as a result.

Also, I wonder if we'll still have Energy Drain in 6.0; them removing it and then giving us back the old version of it (whereas SMN has a new version of the same move) makes me think it's temporary.

True on Ruin II but it’s utility is strictly when you can’t slide cast or need to fit in OGCDs so i is really just a weak extension of Broil in my head. I don’t see them removing Energy Drain again without a replacement of some kind. Namely because removing it a) removes damage from SCH and puts it even further behind dps wise, which while trivial in most content, is decidedly not in savage, and b) because it’s a hugely important on demand mp utility, particularly during super resource intensive moments, like immediately being rezzed, multiple rezzes, and heal checks. With it a SCH can heal with fairy with no MP, and use Aetherflow and the Energy Drains to get back enough to right the ship so to speak, even if if Lucid is down. It’s hugely important.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    Holy and assize are point blank AOEs so those don't require targeting, but stone/glare, aero/dia and afflatus misery do.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    no real surprises in their looks imo

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Oh dearie me.

That SCH one looks perfect.

• Options
    Lalafell
    I hope the final relics have more subtle glows like the zodiacs versus the light shows the animas were

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Miqo'te
    It’s not bad, still don’t think it’ll topple my current Omega weapon codex though for glamour, will keep an open mind once I see it in live game and decide then.
    i4xiwwofmm0b.png

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    Au'ra
    It’s not bad, still don’t think it’ll topple my current Omega weapon codex though for glamour, will keep an open mind once I see it in live game and decide then.
    i4xiwwofmm0b.png

Omega gear is super good looking, can't blame you.

• Options
    Lalafell
    Early 5.3 story
    Am I right in guessing that the bat-hunting quest can go several ways, depending on where you choose to hunt? I ended up with 5 kills to Alisaie's 7, and she accused me of not trying to win. But then the cutscene went on as normal, which strikes me as it being a short line that's interchangeable. Seeing as my last spot got me 3 bats, and that one was closer to buildings, I'm guessing I could get up to 9, if I had picked better locations?

• Options
    Viera
    Early 5.3 story
    Am I right in guessing that the bat-hunting quest can go several ways, depending on where you choose to hunt? I ended up with 5 kills to Alisaie's 7, and she accused me of not trying to win. But then the cutscene went on as normal, which strikes me as it being a short line that's interchangeable. Seeing as my last spot got me 3 bats, and that one was closer to buildings, I'm guessing I could get up to 9, if I had picked better locations?
    your instincts are correct, you can lose, win or tie. The different bat spawn points produce different numbers of bats. The ones further out have more.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Au'ra
    Early 5.3 story
    your instincts are correct, you can lose, win or tie. The different bat spawn points produce different numbers of bats. The ones further out have more.
    I love that you don't even really "lose" if you only do the bare minimum either, Alisaie just gets pissed off and accuses you of not even trying.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Lalafell
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Early 5.3 story
    I love that you don't even really "lose" if you only do the bare minimum either, Alisaie just gets pissed off and accuses you of not even trying.
    I swear I was trying; I just screwed up where I thought the best spots were.

Side note; how did species like that get through 100 years of no night? Caves and stuff will exist, sure, and maybe 100 years isn't quite long enough for nocturnal species to evolve out of the gene pool, but still, it's pretty extreme conditions.

Enlong on
  • Options
    well they ate food

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Lalafell
    I'd never have the patience to this kind of stuff

• Options
    Viera
    that's amazing but also so much unused space outside the build in that mansion T_T

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Just finished the Heroes’ Gauntlet. A really nice dungeon, full of really good cameos.

I have a question, though.
    One of the enemies was a “Spectral Ink Mage”, using a spell called Flambé. Has that job or that spell ever existed in another Final Fantasy game? All the other spectral heroes are based on jobs from Final Fantasy games, so that one stands out like a sore thumb.

• Options
    Au'ra
    Just finished the Heroes’ Gauntlet. A really nice dungeon, full of really good cameos.

I have a question, though.
    One of the enemies was a “Spectral Ink Mage”, using a spell called Flambé. Has that job or that spell ever existed in another Final Fantasy game? All the other spectral heroes are based on jobs from Final Fantasy games, so that one stands out like a sore thumb.
    Sort of? Maybe?

Flambe is an attack available to the Pattisier job in Bravely Second.

I can't think of anything for ink mage though.

• Options
    Viera
    Relm from FF6 with her sketch attacks comes to mind

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lalafell
    a good point, though she’s called a Pictomancer in FFVI itself. Hmm.

Also, something that comes to mind from the new Trial.
    the crystal of Azem has the image of the sun as it’s symbol. Could the sun god Azim be a memory of this guy?

• Options
    a good point, though she’s called a Pictomancer in FFVI itself. Hmm.

Also, something that comes to mind from the new Trial.
    the crystal of Azem has the image of the sun as it’s symbol. Could the sun god Azim be a memory of this guy?
    If you speak to Urianger he theorizes this, as well as Azeyma of the Twelve

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Swapped from summoner to samurai basically on accident and I seem to be doing a shitload more damage. Might keep this, even though I don’t think the aesthetic fits my character and the rotation as it stands is kinda rote.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    SAM is kinda slow until you hit 62 or whatever and get the trait that makes you build kenki on every weapon skill. Then its turbo mode

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Someone mathed out the gambling game in shb maps
    ig28tg80vdkg.png

https://reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/cpmzcn/optimizing_lyhe_ghiah_gamblers_lure/

• Options
    Viera
    oh I think that math's wrong, it's working off the assumption the hidden card will be the open card for the next round if it's not a tie, which I'm pretty sure my FC has experimentally confirmed not to be true recently. Maybe it worked like that a year ago when they wrote that post, and it was changed since?

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.